Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Gulf of Tomini

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> Gulf of Tomini Page: <<   < prev  104 105 [106] 107 108   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gulf of Tomini - 4/5/2009 5:03:19 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dili

Pykrite and Project Habakkuk?? The inventive Mr.Pyke

Yes..have heard of Pykrete...I wonder if other types of natural fiber would work.

The fundamental problem here is Tomini really does sit almost on the Equator and it really is June and Milo (not the Admiral version) really did make up the whole global cooling thing...I think.

********Beach on the Gulf of Tomini, June 2, 1943*******

A disorderly convoy of almost every type of conveyance queues up to offer their goods to an important-looking white man in green eye shades. Stretching back for at least four miles is the entire cocconut harvest for all of North and Central Sulawese.

I. D. Cheatham, Esq: NEXT! That's 50 cents a ton for husks..1 dollar a ton for copra.

Poor Sulawesi: But that is a very poor price. Even in 1941 we got 10 times that much.

I. D. Cheatham, Esq: Look, there is a war on, my friend. The market for cocconut cream pies is zero. Do you see all these other people in line? If you don't sell, they will. Is it yes or no?

Poor Sulawesi: <looks downward in defeat> Yes.

I. D. Cheatham, Esq: Fine, see the bursor. Thank you for doing business with M & M Enterprises Agricultural Division.

Out on the water, hundreds of laborers carry bundles of coconut husks onto large rafts of floating husks bound by hemp and sisal. Further down the beach another group spreads the white copra on top of the husk mats. The reflected light coming off the copra is blinding in the June Equatorial sun....

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 4/5/2009 5:04:28 PM >

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 3151
RE: Gulf of Tomini - 4/5/2009 6:06:18 PM   
BrucePowers

Is there an uh-oh here?

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 3152
RE: Gulf of Tomini - 4/6/2009 2:32:16 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

The fundamental problem here is Tomini really does sit almost on the Equator and it really is June and Milo (not the Admiral version) really did make up the whole global cooling thing...I think.

He probably didn't, but the really good news is that it's June. You see, at noon the sun is pretty much overhead on the equator in March and September. In June it's farthest North (and farthest South in December). As an added bonus, the earth is closest to the sun sometime in January, which means it is farthest away sometime in July.

Operation iceberg may get a cool reception, but it's a hot time for it.

Post #: 3153
RE: Gulf of Tomini - 4/6/2009 3:22:09 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

He probably didn't, but the really good news is that it's June. You see, at noon the sun is pretty much overhead on the equator in March and September. In June it's farthest North (and farthest South in December). As an added bonus, the earth is closest to the sun sometime in January, which means it is farthest away sometime in July.

Operation iceberg may get a cool reception, but it's a hot time for it.

That makes sense...the sun can't be directly overhead at the same time both at the Equator and at the Tropic of Cancer (for eg.)

I looked it up. The average high temperature at Manado (couldn't find it for Tomini but it is close) in June is 28C. The average high is also 28 in every other month except in November and December where it plumets to 27 Of course, this is before Global Cooling set in. It might have been hotter in 1943(b).

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3154
RE: Gulf of Tomini - 4/6/2009 3:37:51 AM   
Cap Mandrake

****Sitrep, Jolo, Sulawese, the Moluccas and New Guinea, Jan 3, 1943****

Jolo: The Japs found an effective counter to the LCT's. They now have a bunch of Tojos on strafing missions at Cotobato in Northern Mindanao. Even so, the Dutch Bn landed successfully at night on Jolo. In the morning, Jap fighters and Vals sunk 4 PT boats and hit half a dozen LCT's at Jolo. Jolo is just our of LRCAP range from Menado. There is an unkown Jap unit at Jolo. They have no artillery as there was no shore fire but the KNIL Bn is very small and will reload aboard LCT's and divert to Tawi Tawi (50 mi to the W) which is curently unoccupied and has a level 1 airfield. This will have to serve as a fighter strip to cover a more fulsome landing on Jolo. Tawi Tawi will have a LRCAP of P-38's to cover the landing and prevent Jap troops flying in. The Jap carriers are gone
and the Jap BB's retired to Palau.

Menado: Prince of Wales and friends made it safely to Menado. 2 1/2 divisions are dismebarking there. A B-25 raid on Davao from Menado was only marginally effective. Most of the 25's had to go back for R&R.

Amboina: The airfield is now fully repaired but supply is still marginal so the B-24's there did not take off for a planned raid on Davao.

Hollandia: The Japs sent a small surface group of subchasers to Hollandia but they were intercepted by Piet Hein which was dispatched from Sansapor. I am not sure what the purpose was but they were sent packing with heavy losses. Hollandia now has Kittyhawks.

Post #: 3155
RE: Gulf of Tomini - 4/6/2009 3:38:36 AM   
witpqs

Are these guys the PyKrete construction team?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3156
RE: Gulf of Tomini - 4/8/2009 5:55:19 PM   
EWGuttag

Witpqs,

So you know about Pykrete, eh?  Pyke (a true brillant but eccentric individual) was also the force behind the Weasel, as well as what became the "Devil's Brigade."

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3157
RE: Gulf of Tomini - 4/8/2009 6:12:17 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: EWGuttag

Witpqs,

So you know about Pykrete, eh?  Pyke (a true brillant but eccentric individual) was also the force behind the Weasel, as well as what became the "Devil's Brigade."

I confess that I saw it on a show some time ago about some of Churchill's more outlandish projects on the UFO-channel.

(in reply to EWGuttag)
Post #: 3158
RE: Gulf of Tomini - 4/8/2009 6:30:48 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Are these guys the PyKrete construction team?

I think that is a shot of the "Iceberg" 22c nightshift crew covered with copra dust after a long night's labor at the Gulf of Tomini.....

"Come Mr. tally man, tally mi white copra

daylight come and me wan' go ho-ome

Me say day, me say day, me dayyy-o"

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3159
SITREP - 4/8/2009 7:46:18 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*******SITREP, the PI, Sulawese and the Moluccas, June 4, 1943********

Tawi Tawi: The KNIL Bn. landed at Jolo is evacuated by LCT to Tawi Tawi which has no garrison. The evacuation from Jolo is a bit disorderly so the Bn. has lost its supply. One AK was orderd to continue unloading supply at Tawi Tawi under cover of P-38 CAP from Menado. The KNIL Bn is sufficiently disorganized after the cluster **** at Jolo that I am not sure they will be able to overcome the local Tawi Tawi Constabulary and Fish and Game Warden and capture the needed airfield. I have therefore dispatched 4 AK's and about 2/3 of Aus. Cav Brig. toward Tawi via LCT from Menado.

Beaufighters and P-38's will attempt to cover both the Tawi landing and the relief force. This is really wearing out the P-38's at Menado so one group was rested on the 3rd. 3 sinking LCT's were left at Jolo to draw fire. This worked well, drawing repeated attacks from strafing fighters based at Iolio and Cotabato. One LCT was also hit at Tawi with the loss of two Jacks downed by the 8-9 P-38's over Tawi. The Beaufighters over the relief force discoraged any atacks on them.

All of the Jap combatants from the big bombardment TF's recovered to Palau and are poorly placed to intervene at Tawi. However, a TF reported to contain numerous cruisers (probaly DD's) is steaming WNW toward Mindanao. My guess, is they will circumnavigate Mindanao to the North and threaten the Tawi Tawi oepation. Another PT group is being sent to Tawi to replace the group that was wrecked by Vals from Davao.

Davao: The aifield was hit heavily by a 50+ bomber B-24 raid from Amboina. Most of the Jap planes at Davao have been wrecked or withdrawn.

Menado: Two full Australian Div and a host of support troops are landing at Menado. Prince of Wales and friends cover the transports. After the failure of the last bombardment attempt, I doubt the Jap will try that again. A carrier raid at Menado now might be risky for the IJN but could sink many ships (there are thousands of troops still onboard ship). Once Tawi Tawi has an opeartional airfield, I will load 12th Aus Brig for Jolo aboard fast AP's.

Post #: 3160
It's just a little place... - 4/9/2009 8:57:51 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Why all the fuss?

The suspected Jap cruiser force off the East coast of Mindanao proved to be a real Jap crusier force off the coast of Mindanao....except in the middle of the night they made it to Tawi Tawi, presumably by sailing North of Mindanao. By my estimation this was about a 600 mile run...or about 17.3 hrs at 30 kts. I was sure they were headed for Tawi but I figured they would not try to make the run from that range and run the risk they might not clear B-25 range from Menado by daybreak. I was wrong

They sunk 2 AK's and 2 damaged LCT's at Tawi. A PT boat group from Menado arrived too late. There were no troops aboard the Ak's and the KNIL Bn at Tawi now has good supply but apparently the Tawi Tawi Fish and Game Warden is hole up in his hut and will not surrender. About 2/3 of a Cav Brig is already on its way from Menado and should arrive late on the 5th or early on the 6th. I will probably have to send a real surface force to Tawi despite the risk.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3161
Destiny at Tawi Tawi - 4/11/2009 4:59:52 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*******Aboard USS Iowan, off the Tawi Tawi beachead, 02:20, June 5, 1943*******

Adm. Draemel: <speaking over ship's PA> Men, we are tonight destined to...well...I guess you would say....meet our destiny. Soon, in all likelihood, we will encounter an enemy surface force which can better us in speed, armor and firepower.....but we have one thing they do not....<it appears to the men listening, the Admiral is pausing for dramatic effect. In reality, he is looking at his notes>....ummmmm....oh..yes..we have an eternal brotherhood. I am proud to have served with you all. In readiness for what may lie ahead, I would like to review a set of rules...<he looks again at his note cards and drops several. In the darkness, he does not realize a card of a different color has been reshuffled to the top. He stands back up and continues reading>

A life preserver will be found in each bunk and will be replaced where found before debarking. The use of tobacco, either smoking or chewing is prohibited at all times in the berthing spaces. Smoking is permitted on open decks only. No food will be eaten the berthing spaces or..latrines..oh good Lord......<He stops to look more closely at his notes. A gentle sursuration of stifled laughter can be heard throught the ship> Ummm..oh my...

Lookout: SEARCHLIGHTS OUR PORT BOW! <all eyes turn in that direction>

Adm. Draemel: <Now back on familiar territory, the Admiral becomes a man of action> ALL HANDS PREPARE FOR ACTION! MAKE OUR COURSE ZERO ONE FIVE. SIGNAL THE ENGINE ROOM, WE WILL NEED ALL THEY'VE GOT. SIGNAL ARIDED. THERE WILL BE NO FIRE UNTIL MY COMMAND.
<His eyes grow wide with excitement. His pulse quickens. He feels a man of twenty again. He thinks to himself: "This must be what it was like at Jutland". He throws his head back and produces a sound which easily makes mute the gathering din around him>

Linie voran Anordnung!

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 4/11/2009 5:01:39 PM >

Post #: 3162
RE: Destiny at Tawi Tawi - 4/11/2009 5:04:23 PM   
Cap Mandrake

******07:20, June 5, 1943, Tawi Tawi beach********

Along with other flotsam, a water-logged card, yellowed with age, lodges on the sand.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3163
RE: Destiny at Tawi Tawi - 4/11/2009 5:04:55 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3164
RE: Destiny at Tawi Tawi - 4/11/2009 7:31:12 PM   
Moondawggie

quote:

******07:20, June 5, 1943, Tawi Tawi beach********

Along with other flotsam, a water-logged card, yellowed with age, lodges on the sand.

Yow! This does not bode well for our beloved Admiral.

That guy sure seems to be a magnet for any nearby IJN ordnance.

"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg

Post #: 3165
RE: Destiny at Tawi Tawi - 4/12/2009 6:07:34 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moondawggie

Yow! This does not bode well for our beloved Admiral.

That guy sure seems to be a magnet for any nearby IJN ordnance.

Yes...I am afraid you are right. It seems Mrs. Draemel on that nice quiet street in King of Prussia is in for some more heartache.

I feel bad for that nice Lt., JG who saved his life too.

The Admiral must have had 6 or 7 ships shot out from under him in WWII(b). This time the other AK and the two LCT's were sunk before the Iowan so he had nowhere to transfer his flag to. If he is gone for good, at least it wasn't a slip and fall accident. He also had the satisfaction to see a round from the Iowan's forward 4 inch gun stike Chikuma. Of course, it did not turn out well (11 gunnery hits and 3 torps on the Iowan)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 4/12/2009 6:20:17 AM >

(in reply to Moondawggie)
Post #: 3166
Dairy scam uncovered! - 4/12/2009 6:02:09 PM   
Cap Mandrake

So I am buying nonfat milk the other day and I notice it is the same price as whole milk....but then I walk over to buy some whipping cream and a quart costs as much as almost a gallon of milk! The clever bastards! I pay them to take the cream out of my milk and in the rare case I actually want the stuff back they charge me again!!!!

Big night intercept off Mindanao. Retribution for Admiral Draemel! Now..if I could just figure out how to get even with Big Milk!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3167
RE: Dairy scam uncovered! - 4/12/2009 6:05:27 PM   
Cap Mandrake

And a gratuitous screenshot. I left Prince of Wales and Australia behind in Menado because they coudln't make 30 kts.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3168
Readiness Report - 4/13/2009 7:39:29 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3169
Las Cucarachas de la Mar - 4/14/2009 2:48:33 AM   
Cap Mandrake

La cucaracha, la cucaracha,
ya no puede caminar
porque no tiene, porque le falta
marijuana que fumar.

Aj Caramba!

PT's laboriously shuttled up from Darwin sink 2 Jap DD's and Bosie and Rocket score a second mid ocean intercept in 2 nights. The obvious place for the Jap transports to escape was to the North (out of the clutches of Allied bombers from Babo and Amboina.....which is exactly why I surmised they might head East to Palau

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 4/14/2009 2:49:11 AM >

Post #: 3170
RE: Readiness Report - 4/14/2009 4:44:53 AM   
Moondawggie

quote:

Hey, it sounds like Doc Daneka knows what he's talking about---

BTW, Mandrake, is "Tuscan Autumn Squash" approved as an acceptable color by your HOA Landscaping and Architectural Review Committee? Living in a house (or flying a plane) that color could easily drop my morale by 40 points!

It sounds like the color of Frau Braun's eyeliner...

Post #: 3171
Truth serum - 4/19/2009 5:58:40 PM   
Cap Mandrake

So one of my nieces, the poor thing, fractured her leg on a skateboard and was admitted to the hospital where Stalker Girl works.
So, naturally, Stalker Girl goes down to see her on her break. My niece is all hopped on morphine but she recognizes her immediately and greats her warmly.."Oh hi, Stalker Girl! I always liked you the best of all the other girls Uncle Mandrake dated." <cue the needle scratching needle across the record sound....you know..."SCREEEEECCCCHHHH>

I don't know whether she was trying to be funny or just confabulating but I had some serious 'splaining to do. Stalker Girl confronted me with the "revelation" and I couldn't help but laugh which just made her more mad which just made the situation even more funny to me which just made her more mad...yada yada yada. Ah...good times. Apparently my "you have got to be kidding" laugh is very similar to my "I am so busted" laugh. I am still trying to beat that Asperger's thing.

OK...back to the war. Landings at Jolo, Cotabato and Jesselton today. A few Zeroes strafe the LCT's at Jolo but otherwise all goes well. Cagayan and Davao airfields are esentially abandoned. There are 20-30 bombers of some descripttion at Iolio (which is beyond reach of the B-24's from Amboina). Mogami and pals retreated to Cam Rahn Bay in Indochina and the few DD's spotted at Manila are apparently gone. The Jap carriers are nowhere to be seen. Time to commit some serious assets to the Mindanao landings.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 4/19/2009 5:59:22 PM >

Post #: 3172
RE: Truth serum - 4/19/2009 10:24:34 PM   
tabpub

Mandrake,

You continue to astound me sir; like a door to door salesman that won't take no for an answer, you have just stuck your shoe in the jamb and shoved your way into the living room and seem to be heading for the Master bedroom as we speak...amazing....I am crawling like a waterbug up the leg of a Cape Buffalo compared to your blitz thru the underbelly....Hell, next it will be the 81st PA Division landing at Cavite to liberate Manila with the 3 members of the marching band in the lead.....

Though, one has to think of the terrible retribution that might be unleashed if the IJ High Command can get their "stuff" in a pile, rather than scattered about. As you were, I was confounded when the IJN carrier group 'appeared' to leave the Celebes area on a HI course; rather than the Palaus where some major surface units still appear to be based at. Well, I am trying to accelerate my moves in SoPac; I don't want to land somewhere and find your SWPac boys waiting there to "greet" me, ala Monty at Messina, Sicily....ugh.

Oh, btw; what is the timetable on Lashio? Looks like the Chinese from Mtyik should be there in a week or so; the quicker you can reduce that pocket there, the quicker I can get those veterans back to China where we can start counter-attacking rather than sitting in the trenches at Sian hurling shells at one another.....

Sing to the tune of "Man on the Flying Trapeze"
..Oh! We fly o'er the treetops with inches to spare,
There's smoke in the cockpit and gray in my hair.
The tracers look fine as a strafin' we go.
But, brother, we're TOO God damn low...

Post #: 3173
Horse trading - 4/20/2009 3:53:12 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Attachment (1)

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 3174
Optimism - 4/21/2009 7:45:57 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3175
plexiglass - 4/22/2009 8:49:02 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3176
RE: plexiglass - 4/22/2009 8:56:53 PM   
BrucePowers

Now maybe if you had let Harry Truman inspect the plexiglass..........

Post #: 3177
RE: plexiglass - 4/25/2009 9:32:00 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

Now maybe if you had let Harry Truman inspect the plexiglass..........

Truman is a bit under the weather, I think.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 3178
RE: plexiglass - 4/25/2009 10:07:06 PM   
BrucePowers

Was thorazine around back then?

Post #: 3179
RE: plexiglass - 4/26/2009 3:25:49 AM   
Moondawggie

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

Was thorazine around back then?

If not, it shoulda been!

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 3180
Page:   <<   < prev  104 105 [106] 107 108   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> Gulf of Tomini Page: <<   < prev  104 105 [106] 107 108   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI