Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Better to look good than be good...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Better to look good than be good... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Better to look good than be good... - 5/21/2002 10:59:21 AM   
stevemk1a

Okay, I've got two weeks off... time to jab at the bee's nest before I head out of town. In another thread, the best looking AFV's of WWII were mentioned. What do you guys consider the best/worst lookin' AFV of the Second World War to be? I've always liked the JgdPzIV with the L70 gun. My brother and I used to refer to it as "the Lamborghini" because of it's low and mean profile- the Puma AC and the JSIII are also really cool. On the ugly side I would nominate the British Challenger tank, or the Churchill (Brits had a talent for ugly AFV's, but I'm not an Anglophobe... in fact I still hold a British Passport). Effectiveness isn't an issue - just aesthetic value :D Pretty shallow huh?
Post #: 1
- 5/21/2002 2:10:14 PM   
WhiteRook

My vote for best looking is the Panther and Tiger. The Panther is just cool to look at - just like my old 69 Mach 1 Mustang used to be! :cool: And the Tiger, for some reason I have always felt that it was the minds eye view of a "Tank" in basic form.....

The most ugly tank I can think of was a weird A** Aussie contraption that I fail to remember the name of. Even though the first time I saw a picture of it I swore I would never forget the name of it. The darn thing was like a metal pillbox with tracks! :eek:

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 2
- 5/21/2002 3:17:01 PM   
Belisarius

The Panther! :D

No really, it has beautiful proportions and a nice looking turret placed just at the right place on the hull, right size (wide!) tracks etc. It looks like a sports tank :p

I also like the front view of a T-34. It looks really mean. :eek:
Otherwise, the KV-1 is a really good tank-looking tank as well.

Got StuG?

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 3
best and worst - 5/21/2002 3:49:55 PM   
Stahlhelm

I'd have to say that my favourite looking vehicle is the Tiger.
Not pretty, but there's something about the Butt-ugly menace that it projects.
Worst looking vehicle: KV2, effective but looks like the winner of a "how big a turret can you fit on this chassis" competition.

"Don't make me come down there!"

-God

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 4
- 5/21/2002 5:24:59 PM   
Seagull

I've always liked the look of the Hetzer. I know that it's armor is thin and that placing a gun that loads from the right into the right-hand side of a vehicle isn't inspired thinking, but they almost manage to be cute ;)

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 5
- 5/21/2002 7:13:44 PM   
M4Jess

You people are joking right?

The best looking ride of any war is the Easy8!

why if I could reach my tail pipe I would never leave the house!

M4- an M4 is great looking :D

Im making war, not trouble~

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 6
- 5/21/2002 8:21:37 PM   
AmmoSgt

I never could decide if I liked the looks of the Staghound w/37mm or the Wolverine better, so I nominate either one. Take your pick.

"For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary periods, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 7
Re: Better to look good than be good... - 5/21/2002 10:59:53 PM   
Kanon Fodder

[QUOTE]Originally posted by willy
[B]On the ugly side I would nominate the British Challenger tank, or the Churchill (Brits had a talent for ugly AFV's) [/B][/QUOTE]

I'd have to agree with you on the earlier British machines, but I think they redeemed themselves with the Centurian (and Chieftain in later years)

As far as really ugly I'd agree with the KV-II posting, or nominate the Italian L6/40 - clunky without the "cuteness" of the Stuart.

Best looking would be a toss-up between the Panther and Konigstiger

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 8
- 5/21/2002 11:25:03 PM   
Easy8

I nominate the M-22 Locust for the "Cutest"

[URL=http://www.battletanks.com/m22_light_tank.htm]http://www.battletanks.com/m22_light_tank.htm[/URL]

"The problem with the future is that it keeps turning into the present" -Hobbes

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 9
- 5/22/2002 2:10:33 AM   
Svennemir

I like the T-34/76. It looks just like a tank is supposed to look.

The KV-2... I wouldn't quite call it ugly.... I can't really describe how I feel about it, but when I want to make someone laugh I usually show them a picture of one.

On the other hand, a rather extreme chapter of the military history of aesthetics can be seen here :

http://www.jed.simonides.org/tanks/tango/tsar_series/tsar-series.html

I wonder who came up with *that* idea, and what he was smoking... and - of course - if I could have some of it.

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 10
- 5/22/2002 5:05:19 AM   
screamer

to be honest ive always had a weak spot for the pzkw III ,but the jagdpanther looks awsome

poep

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 11
- 5/22/2002 5:55:28 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Just about any early war Brit tank was "ugly"

Especially the tankette looking ones, over rated reason for machine guns too.

I think the American M-26 Pershing or the German Panzer IV F2 was about the most ideal tank looking tank though.

Its not about sleek lines, its about classic tank looking lines.

Unfortunately, it's post war, but ultimately, the perfect tank shape goes to the Patton series in my opinion.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 12
- 5/22/2002 6:29:12 AM   
NaKATPase

no one has mentioned t-34/85 yet? shame...
I think it looks even better than /76c

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 13
- 5/22/2002 3:15:10 PM   
Belisarius

Well, my "cute award" would probably go to the Chaffee. :)

Got StuG?

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 14
- 5/23/2002 4:48:00 AM   
Capt. Pixel

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Belisarius
[B]Well, my "cute award" would probably go to the Chaffee. :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Yep "Cute" - but with a really mean streak. :D

I vote the Panther for looks. In my eye, this is the classic tank profile.

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 15
- 5/23/2002 4:57:13 AM   
Kanon Fodder

And, after all, this wonderful game [COLOR=red]is[/COLOR] called "Steel[B] Panthers[/B] :World at War"

Somehow "Steel Shermans: World at War" just don't cut it ...
;)

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 16
- 5/23/2002 5:09:57 AM   
screamer

cute award?? the french R35

poep

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 17
- 5/24/2002 10:54:38 AM   
WhiteRook

Now come on guys - give the poor sherman a break! I know I am an M4 fan and all but to me the Pershing looked far cooler than most M4's. Notice I said most! ;) Some of them are actualy pretty cool in their own right. Um - lets see, which one comes to mind first?? Got it, are you ready, yep its the Easy 8 all the way! :D :D

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 18
- 5/24/2002 11:17:10 AM   
stevemk1a

As far as Shermans go, the later the better... the easy8 is the best of them (unless you include the Israeli "super shermans", not in WWII - but a cool ride). The sand-skirts on any Sherman look dorky (I guess they were usually removed in the field, though) the bigger turret and longer gun (how very Freudian!) of the later models make the earlier ones look a little sad in comparison...however I've always considered the Pershing better looking than the Sherman- not sleek and exotic like the later German AFV's but more workmanlike and brutal looking. The German Neubaufahrzeug prototype heavy tanks sent to Norway in 1940 prove that the Germans could also produce a hideous AFV. Any crewmember would be embarassed to be seen operating it " hey!, are those PzI turrets you got stuck all over you? - looks like you borrowed that suspension from the Tommys!" :D

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 19
Re: Better to look good than be good... - 5/25/2002 10:39:55 AM   
V-man

[B]Okay, I've got two weeks off... time to jab at the bee's nest before I head out of town. In another thread, the best looking AFV's of WWII were mentioned. What do you guys consider the best/worst lookin' AFV of the Second World War to be[/B][/QUOTE]

M3/M5 Stuart Light Tank was the best looking. All Cavalrymen have attitudes and this tank showed it. Sorta like a snazzy sports car that *was* that fast and manuverable.

"You see, in this world there's 2 kinds of people, my friend:
Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 20
- 5/25/2002 11:12:19 AM   
Huffy

Well....I am in favore of the Pershing....I saw a tape on the Hist. ch. of a Pershing being the hunter in a city fight with a Panther.....the Pershing won.
Now,...on the other hand ...I was at ABD. museum last summer...and Sven told me of a Pershing that took on a JagdTiger,....the Pershing was the "underdog"....but he still won,...by...luck-or skill-...Pershing for me
Take care....
Huffy

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 21
- 5/25/2002 11:33:17 AM   
stevemk1a

A Pershing that took on a Jagdtiger? What's the details on that?, both vehicles are cool rarities in WWII! Pershing almost too late to see action, and the Jagdtiger the ultimate nazi expression of "we can't outnumber 'em so we better outgun 'em". I'm sure the Pershing is a far more practical weapon, but I can't resist the the Jagdtiger (though it's crews hated it...). The only combat documentation I have found involving the Jagdtiger is the action of kampfgruppe Ernst just outside of Iserlohn. Anyone know of others? Did all of these beasts just breakdown, get abandoned, or fall prey to Jabos?

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 22
- 5/25/2002 12:04:41 PM   
Fallschirmjager

Deaf 60 year olds with 3 hours of training caught up to them.

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 23
- 5/25/2002 1:02:49 PM   
stevemk1a

The deaf 60 year olds with almost no training are probably the crew of the Jagdtiger blowing up their own ride... ("there's not enough foliage in the Fatherland to disguise this thing!!" :D )

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 24
- 5/25/2002 10:38:37 PM   
Belisarius

That was the problem with Jagdtigers, Königtigers, Panthers, Jagdpanthers etc. All new tanks were issued to new (=Volksgrenadier) troops w/out training, while the "old" Pz.Abts were left to bleed to death. Another brilliant strategy from the OKH :rolleyes:

This situation was similar to the one in Russia back in '41. Inexperienced crews that drove the tanks too hard and used BAD tactics caused an enourmous breakdown ratio, compared to what the veteran crews had.

Note, though, that the s.Pz.Abts operating Königtigers had a higher combat ready ratio than most Panther regiments had! (approx 60% to the Panthers' 48-50%) I've also seen reports on the Tiger II's combat target hit ratio. Up to 500 meters, 100% of the shots hit! Not training - in combat! :eek:

Got StuG?

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 25
- 5/25/2002 11:26:44 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

German late war armour proved rather nicely, bigger is just bigger, not automatically better.

That and they had a major problem with Allied air superiority.

When a column of shermans encounters a Tiger or any other biggun, they just called in air strikes and blew the monster to pieces.

Kinda explains why so many pictures of knocked out German mega tanks are upside down or on their side. 500 lb bombs will tend to do that to a tank.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 26
- 5/26/2002 2:04:32 PM   
stevemk1a

O.K., from what I can find, the Jagdtiger was issued to Schwere Panzerjager Abt. 512 (2 Company commanded by tank ace Otto Carius - the unit previously operated the Elefant TD), Schwere Panzerjager Abt. 653, and a few to SS Panzer Abt 501. About 85 were made, 4 of them with the 88mm Pak 43 gun subbed for the 128mm gun due to shortages. One company from Abt 512 was intended for the Ardennes offensive, but ended up dribbled in to the Nordwind offensive further south. Some were used in Hungary in the "Fruhlingerwachen" operation (what a mouthful :) ). They also saw combat around Iserlohn as I mentioned in a previous post. None seemed to accomplish anything (In fact KG Ernst surrendered it's vehicles a few days after their action). I realize they were a waste of resources, and too ponderous to be effective, but I still think they're pretty interesting... does anyone out there know of any other specific actions, or descriptions of actions involving the biggest of the big cats?

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 27
By request - the PzKfw Nbfz VIs - 5/26/2002 6:40:29 PM   
Belisarius

[B] The German Neubaufahrzeug prototype heavy tanks sent to Norway in 1940 prove that the Germans could also produce a hideous AFV. Any crewmember would be embarassed to be seen operating it " hey!, are those PzI turrets you got stuck all over you? - looks like you borrowed that suspension from the Tommys!" :D [/B][/QUOTE]

On parade in Oslo, 1940.

"no those are not turrets - it's an allergic reaction to cold and wet climate!" :D :D

Attachment (1)

Got StuG?

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 28
- 5/27/2002 11:14:03 AM   
stevemk1a

O.K. "seek and ye shall find"... at [url]www.panzerworld.net/Jagdtiger[/url] I found a great rundown on the operations of Jagdtiger units- some neat facts:
-first one lost to enemy action was by bazooka
-they were used as indirect artillery in the Hagenau forest
-at the town of Schwetzingen one was offed by a Sherman at 200m! (You M4 guys should like that!)

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Better to look good than be good... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI