Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Boardgame look graphic mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> New Boardgame look graphic mod Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Boardgame look graphic mod - 4/23/2009 8:08:24 AM   
damezzi

I've created a new graphic mod trying to reproduce the look of a hand drawn board. I think I got close if one consider the limitations of working with tiles (it's difficult to create organic looking shapes) and with 8 bit image depth.

I've embedded an hex outline on the tiles to get a smoother line, but I've also uploaded a version without it.

For those who may be interest, the links are:

http://forums.gamesquad.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=2054
http://forums.gamesquad.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=2055

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: New Boardgame look graphic mod - 4/23/2009 8:09:10 AM   
damezzi

Another sample

Attachment (1)

(in reply to damezzi)
Post #: 2
RE: New Boardgame look graphic mod - 4/23/2009 8:10:05 AM   
damezzi

One more sample

Attachment (1)

(in reply to damezzi)
Post #: 3
RE: New Boardgame look graphic mod - 4/23/2009 8:11:25 AM   
damezzi

A last sample

Attachment (1)

(in reply to damezzi)
Post #: 4
RE: New Boardgame look graphic mod - 4/23/2009 9:50:18 AM   
rocketman71

This looks good! I like the less cluttered graphics. The usual graphics can be somewhat off putting. Do you need to be a member at Game Squad to download? Is it possible to change graphics mid-game or do you need to finish the scenario first?

< Message edited by rocketboy -- 4/23/2009 10:33:33 AM >

(in reply to damezzi)
Post #: 5
RE: New Boardgame look graphic mod - 4/23/2009 1:13:32 PM   
Martin James

Better than good. It looks great. Can it be used with COW too?

Martin

(in reply to rocketman71)
Post #: 6
RE: New Boardgame look graphic mod - 4/23/2009 3:14:44 PM   
Telumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: rocketboy

This looks good! I like the less cluttered graphics. The usual graphics can be somewhat off putting. Do you need to be a member at Game Squad to download? Is it possible to change graphics mid-game or do you need to finish the scenario first?

you'll need to be a member. And you can change graphics anytime you want.

Post #: 7
RE: New Boardgame look graphic mod - 4/23/2009 3:16:03 PM   
Telumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Martin James

Better than good. It looks great. Can it be used with COW too?

Martin

Yes, simply replace the COW graphic files in the graphics folder with the new ones.

(in reply to Martin James)
Post #: 8
RE: New Boardgame look graphic mod - 4/23/2009 3:41:27 PM   
Martin James

Many thanks Telumar (and damezzi of course for producing it).

One thought occurs to me. Some scenarios seem to modify the graphics. Any deas how I can avoid losing that if I substitute the new file(s). Apologies in advance if the answer is obvious.

Martin

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 9
RE: New Boardgame look graphic mod - 4/23/2009 7:12:19 PM   
Boonierat

Great work dame 

Post #: 10
RE: New Boardgame look graphic mod - 4/23/2009 10:14:18 PM   
damezzi

Thanks Bonnierat!

quote:

One thought occurs to me. Some scenarios seem to modify the graphics. Any deas how I can avoid losing that if I substitute the new file(s). Apologies in advance if the answer is obvious.

Scenarios that modify graphic files have their own subfolders (inside the graphics or AltGraphics folder). I've modified the files on subfolders that come with Toaw, mantaining those that are functional.
Just place any scenario subfolder in your Altgraphics folder, open the files with prefixes 'tiles' or 's_tiles' ('units' for counters) and, if they have only aesthetical value, you may replace them with the corresponding file (same name file) you want.

Make a backup of your AltGraphics folder and just play around. There is no risk, since the original Graphics are on the Graphics folder and any files you place on the AltGraphics folder will just override it when the game is loaded until you remove them.

I have more than one separated AltGraphics folder with different files configurations, so that all I have to do is to replace them when I want. After adding or deleting any file on your AltGraphics folder, just zoom in or out in Toaw and graphics will be updated. If you keep multiple AltGraphics folders like me, it's just a question of dragging them before playing in order to have a different visual experience.

Post #: 11
RE: New Boardgame look graphic mod - 4/23/2009 11:02:39 PM   
Martin James

Thanks again damezzi.

Have just installed your new graphics and loaded up some scenarios. A much better look!

Rgds

Martin

(in reply to damezzi)
Post #: 12
RE: New Boardgame look graphic mod - 4/24/2009 12:08:47 AM   
Silvanski

Nice work Damezzi. I replaced many small terrain tiles with yours for better clarity on the zoomed-out map. And the red movement path arrow is a brilliant idea!

The TOAW Redux Dude

Post #: 13
RE: New Boardgame look graphic mod - 4/24/2009 2:43:55 AM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: damezzi
I've created a new graphic mod trying to reproduce the look of a hand drawn board. I think I got close if one consider the limitations of working with tiles (it's difficult to create organic looking shapes) and with 8 bit image depth.

Awesome job, I'm lost without the hex outlines myself, but you shouldn't be limited to 8 bit (except fot the fact that they're going to ge bigger.)

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to damezzi)
Post #: 14
RE: New Boardgame look graphic mod - 4/24/2009 2:44:19 AM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: damezzi

Thanks Bonnierat!

quote:

Scenarios that modify graphic files have their own subfolders (inside the graphics or AltGraphics folder). I've modified the files on subfolders that come with Toaw, mantaining those that are functional.
Just place any scenario subfolder in your Altgraphics folder, open the files with prefixes 'tiles' or 's_tiles' ('units' for counters) and, if they have only aesthetical value, you may replace them with the corresponding file (same name file) you want.

Make a backup of your AltGraphics folder and just play around. There is no risk, since the original Graphics are on the Graphics folder and any files you place on the AltGraphics folder will just override it when the game is loaded until you remove them.

I have more than one separated AltGraphics folder with different files configurations, so that all I have to do is to replace them when I want. After adding or deleting any file on your AltGraphics folder, just zoom in or out in Toaw and graphics will be updated. If you keep multiple AltGraphics folders like me, it's just a question of dragging them before playing in order to have a different visual experience.

To be a little more clear, scenarios should be putting their graphics into the graphics/scenario name folder. You can copy that folder into the altgraphics/scenario name directory and make your graphic file replacements there. That way, when the scenario is upgraded later, you graphics changes won't be lost.

Graphics files can be replaced at any time but won't take effect until TOAW is closed and reopened and have no effect on gameplay.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to damezzi)
Post #: 15
RE: New Boardgame look graphic mod - 4/24/2009 3:34:18 AM   
damezzi

Ralph, I know I can save with a greater depth, but I suppose there is no way of using an 8 bit transparency channel, even if I never tried it. If there is, I just lost the opportunity of making a much better job. Well... perhaps not, if the engine can't handle it efficiently. Will it handle alpha channel?

Btw, I was able to make the files take effect after zooming in/out or reloading the scenario, at least when I was replacing an already existing file. Didn't try to add a new file to AltGraphics folder while running the game though.

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 16
RE: New Boardgame look graphic mod - 4/24/2009 3:35:13 AM   
damezzi

Thanks Silvanski! I'm glad you like it.

(in reply to damezzi)
Post #: 17
RE: New Boardgame look graphic mod - 4/27/2009 2:15:56 AM   
Slayer_of_kings

Exquisite!!

Great job.

'Democracy... is a charming form of government, full of variety and disorder; and dispensing a sort of equality to equals and unequals alike.' - Plato

(in reply to damezzi)
Post #: 18
RE: New Boardgame look graphic mod - 4/27/2009 6:31:34 PM   
rich12545

I'm trying to download but all I get is some small php file.

(in reply to Slayer_of_kings)
Post #: 19
RE: New Boardgame look graphic mod - 4/27/2009 7:08:02 PM   
damezzi

That happens when you save the link... that is, if you right click over the link and choose save link as.

You must click on the image thumbnail to the left of the link or left click on the link to get access to the download page. To download you must subscribe to gamesquad, but that won't take more than five minutes. I have tried to download it after reading your post and it just worked fine. Anyway, if you continue to have problems, I can e-mail you the mod.

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 20
RE: New Boardgame look graphic mod - 4/28/2009 12:47:36 AM   
rich12545

Ok I figured it out. I have IE7pro which has a download manager. I turned it off and got the dl.

(in reply to damezzi)
Post #: 21
RE: New Boardgame look graphic mod - 4/28/2009 2:10:33 AM   
GavinP

Great looking graphics ....

But was wondering if you could put the downloads on this forum page, rather than having to go to Games Squad to download.

It's a big site and I have had trouble downloading stuff there in the past - even having gone through the trouble of filling out the membership page.

Thanks.

GavinP

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 22
RE: New Boardgame look graphic mod - 4/28/2009 3:12:03 PM   
rocketman71

Sounds like a good idea GavinP. This graphics mod looks so good that a download of it belongs on this forum. Close to its fans!

(in reply to GavinP)
Post #: 23
RE: New Boardgame look graphic mod - 4/28/2009 6:44:16 PM   
Central Blue

looks so good I worry about the cat knocking over the card board stacks

USS St. Louis firing on Guam, July 1944. The Cardinals and Browns faced each other in the World Series that year

Post #: 24
RE: New Boardgame look graphic mod - 4/28/2009 6:53:03 PM   
EagleMountainDK

It sure looks great damezzi, very easy on the eyes.

(in reply to Central Blue)
Post #: 25
RE: New Boardgame look graphic mod - 4/28/2009 10:30:08 PM   
secadegas

quote:

ORIGINAL: rocketboy

(...) download of it belongs on this forum. Close to its fans!

Sorry, but a lot of the most TOAW long lasting dedicated fans are also at GS...

This game belongs to all TOAW community.

Post #: 26
RE: New Boardgame look graphic mod - 4/28/2009 10:52:53 PM   
damezzi

Thank you all for the compliments.

I've placed the mod on the game depot... just waiting for approval.

Initially I placed it on gamesquad because, there, one can provide an image preview, which is important in the case of a graphic mod. This thread is soon going to be lost among others and the graphic mods thread in this forum isn't really a good place to search for a mod. It would be a good idea to clean it, getting rid of the unnecessary posts. A list of graphic mods with posts pointing to those mods with embedded images would be nice to search through the existing material. A sticky thread with links pointing to scenarios (without 'noise posts'...does this term exist? Maybe I'm already risking some neologisms in english; this may sound presumptuous) would be nice too.

(in reply to secadegas)
Post #: 27
RE: New Boardgame look graphic mod - 4/28/2009 10:55:37 PM   
damezzi

If someone wants to use the counters presented on the image, download will still have to be done from gamesquad, since the file size limit of the game depot doesn't support it. In fact, even gamesquad doesn't at this moment; when I uploaded it, the file size limit was 10mb... now it's 2 mb.

(in reply to damezzi)
Post #: 28
RE: New Boardgame look graphic mod - 5/2/2009 1:24:44 AM   
fogger

Not wanting to look stupid (but I am some times), what is this red movement arrow?

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 29
RE: New Boardgame look graphic mod - 5/2/2009 6:26:40 PM   
damezzi

That's only the arrow that points from an unit origin to its destination showing the movement costs.

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> New Boardgame look graphic mod Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI