Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT - WWII quiz

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: OT - WWII quiz Page: <<   < prev  43 44 [45] 46 47   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/30/2009 1:07:01 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

140 - The emperor.

That's correct.

In mid-1944 the Japanese military was divided. BEFORE the atomic bombs were dropped the emperor told the military to stop the war. They were in the process of trying to do that through negotiations with the Soviet Union when the U.S. dropped the atomic bombs on them. That increased the speed and urgency of the negotiations.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 1321
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/30/2009 1:08:35 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: oscar72se

113. Where was "Little Maginot Line"?
Southeast France, in the French Alps

Yes, between Italy and France.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to oscar72se)
Post #: 1322
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/30/2009 1:11:39 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

128) What does the US military casualty abbreviation "PWOP" mean?
In Joseph Heller's "Catch 22" it meant Pregnant Without Permission

In "World War II Super Facts" by Don McCombs and Fred L. Worth it means Pregnant Without Permission as well!

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to oscar72se)
Post #: 1323
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/30/2009 1:24:04 PM   
OzHawkeye2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

quote:

140 - The emperor.

That's correct.

In mid-1944 the Japanese military was divided. BEFORE the atomic bombs were dropped the emperor told the military to stop the war. They were in the process of trying to do that through negotiations with the Soviet Union when the U.S. dropped the atomic bombs on them. That increased the speed and urgency of the negotiations.

Good Hunting.

MR

Oh, I'd argue this point for a good long while before conceding that.

Hirohito had never, pre-Aug 6 45 expressed his personal desires for peace with anything like the conviction and force that he used the after the bombs. He had always deferred to cabinets stated opinions, which of course, had been to continue the war come what may.

Indeed it wasn't until August 14, 8 days after Hiroshima, 5 after Nagasaki and still four full days after the Americans message to Japan on August 10, did Hirohito push the cabinet into making the surrender decision.

While I don't believe Hirohito ever set deliberately upon Japans aggressively despicable period of conquest, I personally believe he must share some of the blame for not acting sooner than he did, and a lot later than he could have. He watched his nation burn around him for years. For at least the 12 months prior to August 1945 the American bomber fleets had been roaming Japans sky's essentially at will virtually vaporizing one Japanese city after another.

Far more Japanese died in the conventional bombing campaigns of Le Mays fleet than did during the two atomic attacks. Hirohito hid behind his throne for far too long to deserve much if any credit for his last-minute decision to break cabinets long-running deadlock.

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 1324
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/30/2009 1:26:17 PM   
OzHawkeye2

quote:

quote:

Good Hunting.

MR

Given the Italians fighting performance during the war, and in particular during their "invasion" of France, I'd imagine that two rolls of barbed wire and a sheepdog would have been sufficient fortifications for this Little Maginot Line.

It's a compliment really, if even the Italian government didn't know it was fighting a cause not worth dying for, her troops seemed to.

Post #: 1325
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/30/2009 1:34:40 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

quote:

140 - The emperor.

That's correct.

In mid-1945 the Japanese military was divided. BEFORE the atomic bombs were dropped the emperor told the military to stop the war. They were in the process of trying to do that through negotiations with the Soviet Union when the U.S. dropped the atomic bombs on them. That increased the speed and urgency of the negotiations.

Good Hunting.

MR

Post #: 1326
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/30/2009 1:38:35 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: OzHawkeye

quote:

quote:

140 - The emperor.

That's correct.

Good Hunting.

MR

Hirohito had never, pre-Aug 6 45 expressed his personal desires for peace with anything like the conviction and force that he used the after the bombs. He had always deferred to cabinets stated opinions, which of course, had been to continue the war come what may.

Indeed it wasn't until August 14, 8 days after Hiroshima, 5 after Nagasaki and still four full days after the Americans message to Japan on August 10, did Hirohito push the cabinet into making the surrender decision.

While I don't believe Hirohito ever set deliberately upon Japans aggressively despicable period of conquest, I personally believe he must share some of the blame for not acting sooner than he did, and a lot later than he could have. He watched his nation burn around him for years. For at least the 12 months prior to August 1945 the American bomber fleets had been roaming Japans sky's essentially at will virtually vaporizing one Japanese city after another.

Far more Japanese died in the conventional bombing campaigns of Le Mays fleet than did during the two atomic attacks. Hirohito hid behind his throne for far too long to deserve much if any credit for his last-minute decision to break cabinets long-running deadlock.

Sorry had the date wrong. It was mid-1945 not mid-1944.

You can argue all you want. It was the emperor that stopped the war.

I'm aware of the damage done by the fire raids. I'm also aware, as were the Japanese that only two atomic bombs were dropped to knock out two Japanese cities and that didn't require thousands of B-29's to do it.

If we want to discuss the emperor, and his role in the war, in-depth we can do that. I don't have a really strong background in his role during most of the war, just when he tried to end it.

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 4/30/2009 1:43:14 PM >

(in reply to OzHawkeye2)
Post #: 1327
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/30/2009 1:41:45 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good Hunting.

MR

Given the Italians fighting performance during the war, and in particular during their "invasion" of France, I'd imagine that two rolls of barbed wire and a sheepdog would have been sufficient fortifications for this Little Maginot Line.

It's a compliment really, if even the Italian government didn't know it was fighting a cause not worth dying for, her troops seemed to.

Mussolini was given a choice of where to fight by Hitler when Italy entered the war. Mussolini chose France because they were already on the verge of collapse and he figured for very little effort he could gain a large amount of spoils.

All he had to do was put up a token effort to be included in the negotiations with France. So, that's where Italy went.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to OzHawkeye2)
Post #: 1328
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/30/2009 2:40:04 PM   
monkla

Wasn't General Buckner, killed on Okinawa, also a lieutenant general?

And I'd give the answer to Q9 as EVERYBODY ducks when the americans bomb....

(in reply to marcuswatney)
Post #: 1329
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/30/2009 2:46:59 PM   
OzHawkeye2

quote:

ORIGINAL: monkla

Thank you Monkla. Buckner was the General I was thinking of. I thought he was also a Lt.Gen too. And in fact, he was (thank you Wiki). So, the correct answer is in fact both Lt. Gen. Lesley J. McNair AND Lt. Gen Simon Bolivar Buckner Jr.

(in reply to monkla)
Post #: 1330
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/30/2009 2:48:13 PM   
OzHawkeye2

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good Hunting.

MR

Mussolini was given a choice of where to fight by Hitler when Italy entered the war. Mussolini chose France because they were already on the verge of collapse and he figured for very little effort he could gain a large amount of spoils.

All he had to do was put up a token effort to be included in the negotiations with France. So, that's where Italy went.

Good Hunting.

MR

It was a good thing that only a token effort was required because it was all that they managed to accomplish. Indeed, in a humiliating development the Italians had to ask for German assistance.

Post #: 1331
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/30/2009 2:52:29 PM   
OzHawkeye2

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

140 - The emperor.

That's correct.

Good Hunting.

MR

Sorry had the date wrong. It was mid-1945 not mid-1944.

You can argue all you want. It was the emperor that stopped the war.

I'm aware of the damage done by the fire raids. I'm also aware, as were the Japanese that only two atomic bombs were dropped to knock out two Japanese cities and that didn't require thousands of B-29's to do it.

If we want to discuss the emperor, and his role in the war, in-depth we can do that. I don't have a really strong background in his role during most of the war, just when he tried to end it.

Good Hunting.

MR

I don't deny that he eventually acted to break the Japanese War Cabinets deadlock in favour of peace. I do however deny that he did so at any point prior to the commencement of atomic attacks upon Japan and that the "credit" he receives for his actions on August 14/15 1945 should be viewed in a light that takes account of his sustained moral cowardice for years up until that point.

I'd be quite happy to continue this in a separate thread also, as I don't want to derail the interesting quiz thread going here.

Post #: 1332
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/30/2009 4:02:53 PM   
ItBurns

8. I beleive the Danes themselves liberated Copenhagen

(in reply to OzHawkeye2)
Post #: 1333
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/30/2009 4:40:56 PM   
composer99

134) Why were there no pictures of President Roosevelt in a wheelchair published during the war?

The damage done by his childhood polio(myelitis) was not a publicly-known fact and he meant to keep it that way.

~ Composer99

(in reply to ItBurns)
Post #: 1334
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/30/2009 6:15:11 PM   
marcuswatney

quote:

I do.

Read Bergamini's "Japan's Imperial Conspiracy". It's an eye-opener ... the single most important book I read on the Pacific War. Bergamini was an American citizen brought up in Japan, and so uniquely placed to explain the Japanese mind-set (including 'belly-talk' = irony) to western readers.

He argues very convincingly indeed that Hirohito was always in direct control of the Japanese war, and frequently over-ruled military staffs using people like the ubiquitous Colonel Shoji. For example, the annexation of Manchuria was not a revolt by the (highly-disciplined) Kwantung Army, but rather a response to a direct order from the Palace that ignored conventional channels. These orders were identified as coming from the Emperor by the showing of the Imperial Crysthanemum.

There is documentary evidence too. Sugiyama's diary includes an entry noting that the Emperor had just ordered Admiral Onishi to begin preparing for the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Post #: 1335
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 5/1/2009 12:04:58 AM   
Walloc

quote:

ORIGINAL: ItBurns

but only because it wasnt raining that day....

Ur friend dane, making internal danish jokes

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 5/1/2009 12:05:26 AM >

(in reply to ItBurns)
Post #: 1336
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 5/1/2009 2:14:52 AM   
Mad Russian

quote:

If you guys are going to use Google then dig deep. Here is a post that I found when googling Buckner....

General Gustav J. Braun, Jr. was the assistant division commander of the 34th Division at the time of his death in 1945 in combat in Italy.

Lt. Gen. Simon Bolivar Buckner, Jr., was the commanding general of the 10th Army and was one of the highest ranking American officers killed in action during the war.

Brig. Gen. James Leo Dalton II was the assistant commanding general of the 25th Division in the Philippines. The 25th Division was involved in fighting across the South Pacific but met its strongest resistance in one of its last battles, capturing the Balite Pass at the head of Cagayan Valley at Luzon in 1945.

Brig. Gen. Claudius Miller Easley was the assistant commanding general of the 96th Infantry Division when it was activated in 1942...Easley was wounded by a sniper during the Leyte campaign and was killed on June 19, 1945.

Brig. Gen. Charles L. Keerans, Jr. was the assistant commander of the 101st Airborne Division. His death was one of the oddest to occur during the war. In 1943 the 101st had prepared to make a night combat jump into the area around the Gulf of Gela, on the western coast of Italy. The effort was plagued with problems, including several American transport planes being shot down by friendly fire. Keerans’ plane was one of those hit by friendly fire, but the pilot was able to crash land the plane in the water, 400 yards off shore. Keerans survived the crash and the next morning chatted with a sergeant from another unit and asked the sergeant to accompany him inland. The sergeant said that he wanted to return to his outfit and left. Keerans went inland by himself and was never seen again. For several years the army assumed he had been killed during the ditching of the aircraft, but the sergeant’s story provided a different interpretation and the general was simply listed as killed in action, although his body was never found.

Maj. Gen. Edwin Davies Patrick was the commanding general of the 6th Division, heavily engaged with the enemy ...when he died of wounds he received in battle in 1944. Patrick was given command of the 6th Division in September 1944, and was in hostile action near Bayanbayannan, Luzon, at the time of his death.

Maj. Gen. Maurice Rose was commander of the 3rd Armored Division when he was killed in March 1945...

Brig. Gen. James Edward Wharton replaced General Lloyd Brown as commander of the 28th Infantry Division in August 1944. A few hours later he was killed while visiting one of his regiments on the front line.

Brig. Gen. Don F. Pratt was the assistant division commander of the 101st Airborne Division and was in the first wave of glider landings in France, which began at 3 am on D-Day. His glider took a lot of enemy fire as it approached the field surrounded by hedgerows that was his designated landing area. When the glider landed, cargo broke loose from its moorings, broke through the bulkhead, and crushed Pratt, who was sitting in the cockpit.

Brig. Gen. Guy O. Fort commanded the 81st Division in the Philippines at the time of the massive Japanese invasion of Luzon. Nothing more is known of Fort’s death, only that he was captured, tortured, and executed by the Japanese in 1942.

Brig. Gen. Vicente Lim was a native Filipino, with a military education that included officer training at Fort Benning Infantry School. One of his classmates at Fort Benning was Akira Nara, who as a Japanese general was in combat with Lim’s 41st Division on Bataan.Lim was taken captive at Bataan and survived the infamous death march. He was freed by the Japanese, as they were attempting to separate or alienate Filipinos from the United States. Once freed, Lim became a member of the resistance. He was captured again in the vicinity of Manila and taken to Fort Santiago. After being tortured, he was executed by the Japanese.

Lt. Gen. Frank M. Andrews was a pioneer in the field of military aviation...In 1942, he became the commander of all U.S. forces in the Middle East, and in February 1943, he was given supreme command of all U.S. forces in the European Theater of Operations (ETO). Unfortunately, three months after this assignment he was killed in the crash of a B-24 Liberator bomber while attempting a landing in Iceland.Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland, on the southeast outskirts of Washington, D.C., is named in his honor.

Brig. Gen. Charles Henry Barth, Jr., was the chief of staff for General Andrews’ European theater command and was on the same flight that crashed in Iceland, killing General Andrews and 13 others.

Maj. Gen. Hugh J. Gaffey...Gaffey commanded the 4th Armored Division during the relief operation at Bastogne. Following this successful operation, he was given command of VII Corps. He was killed in a plane crash shortly after the capitulation of Germany in 1945.

Brig. Gen. Stuart Chapin Godfrey was commander of Geiger [Air] Field near Spokane, Wash. Godfrey had directed construction of airfields in the China-Burma-India theatre for use by B-29 Superfortress bombers on raids against Japan prior to assuming command at Geiger Field. He was returning from a conference at Fort Hamilton in San Francisco in 1945 when his plane crashed into a small hill six miles from Geiger Field.

Major Gen. Stonewall Jackson was commander of the 84th Infantry Division at the time of his death in 1943. Jackson had only been in command a few months, assuming command of the division in February 1943, and he was promoted to major general in March. The division was on maneuvers at Fort (then Camp) Polk, La.

Lt. Gen. Leslie McNair was one of the highest ranking American officers killed in World War II. McNair had been commander of Army ground forces and was responsible for training of all components of the active Army, Army Reserve, and National Guard. He wanted a field command but never received one. As frequently as he could, he visited the fronts and was wounded in Tunisia. He was made commander of the mythical 1st Army Group, replacing General Patton McNair was observing the 30th Infantry Division’s preparations for deployment to St. Lo in 1944 when the Army Air Corps accidentally dropped bombs on his position and he was killed. He was posthumously promoted to full general in 1945.Ironically, his son, Colonel Douglas McNair, chief of staff of the 77th Division, was killed two weeks later by a sniper on Guam.

Maj. Gen. Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., was the only American general to go ashore in the first wave on D-Day...On July 12, 1944, Roosevelt was given command of the 90th Division. He died later that night of a heart attack, at the age of 57.

The most prominent of these actually killed by the enemy in WWII are Brigadier General Maurice Rose and Major General Simon Bolivar Buckner (I believe both officers were awarded promotions posthumously, I know that Buckner was in 1950 or 52) as these two actually encountered enemy fire and were killed by it. Rose's death came as the result of his Jeep, driving a winding road deep in the Ardennes forest, came around a blind corner only to encounter an oncoming Tiger tank. The tanks commander opened his hatch and ordered them out of the Jeep. For no known reason, the commander of this tank shot General Rose, which caused the others to flee into the woods. At least two made it back to safety and told the story. Buckner was more the result of fate, as sometimes even a sliver of shrapnel is enough to kill. He was caught in the temple by a small piece of an exploding munition while touring the frontlines late in the Pacific campaign.

Lt. General Leslie McNair's death came as a result of the bombing campaign which was the breakout from the Normandy beachhead, and with so many bombers n the air, the margin for error was much greater. Friendly fire resulted in many deaths in WWII, as well as all wars. McNair was the most high profile of these.

I think this should explain why Buckner wasn't the considered. I've always read that it was McNair as the highest ranking US general killed. But you never know....that's why these quizzes are so much fun. But if you want to count their final ranks after promotion McNair was promoted to full general and that still puts him first.

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 5/1/2009 2:19:39 AM >

(in reply to monkla)
Post #: 1337
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 5/1/2009 5:58:27 AM   
OzHawkeye2

MR,

At the time of their deaths both were Lt. Gens. Both were later posthumously promoted.

Post #: 1338
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 5/1/2009 11:59:55 AM   
marcuswatney

quote:

ORIGINAL: Walloc

quote:

ORIGINAL: ItBurns

but only because it wasnt raining that day....

Ur friend dane, making internal danish jokes

Rasmus

Incorrect answer

... oh, and I'm a quarter Danish.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 1339
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 5/1/2009 12:56:48 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

MR,

At the time of their deaths both were Lt. Gens. Both were later posthumously promoted.

After more digging, both McNair and Buckner were Lieutenant Generals at the time of their deaths. Both were promoted Posthumously. Even with that, McNair is listed as the highest ranking American General killed in the war and Buckner as the highest ranking American General killed in combat by enemy fire.

Even if they are both Lieutenant Generals one of them outranks the other in time of service etc. I don't have a listing of their places within the rankings I'm just going by what my sources have. If anyone out there can dig deeper then I'm good to go.

At the moment I'm going with, "McNair is listed as the highest ranking American general killed in the war and Buckner was the highest ranking American general killed in combat by enemy fire."

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 5/1/2009 1:12:46 PM >

(in reply to OzHawkeye2)
Post #: 1340
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 5/1/2009 1:07:06 PM   
marcuswatney

How do I upload a photo, currently saved on my hard-drive as a Word page?  I was going to give a visual hint to one of my questions, but have been stymied.  The 'Add Image' icon appears to apply only to URLs, not files on a hard-drive.

Post #: 1341
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 5/1/2009 2:07:57 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: marcuswatney

How do I upload a photo, currently saved on my hard-drive as a Word page?  I was going to give a visual hint to one of my questions, but have been stymied.  The 'Add Image' icon appears to apply only to URLs, not files on a hard-drive.

You can only upload JPG (or GIF ?) attachments to the forum.
You need to transform your photo that is in your word document into a JPG file.
You can do that by copying & pasting the photo from Word to a picture editing program, such as the simple Paint that is included in Windows XP.
Then you save as JPG.

Post #: 1342
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 5/1/2009 8:24:22 PM   
marcuswatney

6.  The letter P inside a square was the shoulder-flash of which British unit, and what was its role?

Hint:

... well that didn't work. So, Patrice, I have converted the picture into a jpeg, but how do I then upload it into the thread? Using the Image button on the taskbar doesn't seem to work.

< Message edited by marcuswatney -- 5/1/2009 8:26:58 PM >

Post #: 1343
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 5/1/2009 8:33:54 PM   
marcuswatney

Yay! Finally did it! I had been using Fast Reply without realising it. So:

6. The letter P inside a square was the shoulder-flash of which British unit, and what was its role?

Hint:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by marcuswatney -- 5/1/2009 8:36:19 PM >

Post #: 1344
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 5/1/2009 9:02:57 PM   
marcuswatney

quote:

Correct.

In Normandy, British troops had this pithy saying:

"When the British bomb, the Germans duck;
When the Germans bomb, the British duck;
And when the Americans bomb, everybody ducks!"

(in reply to monkla)
Post #: 1345
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 5/1/2009 9:22:39 PM   
micheljq

quote:

quote:

Correct.

It did not change since Normandy.

Post #: 1346
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 5/2/2009 3:31:06 AM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

quote:

quote:

Correct.

It did not change since Normandy.

Yeah and the Americans bomb A LOT! We like things that make a BIG BANG!!

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 1347
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 5/2/2009 8:17:16 AM   
praem

8. Who liberated Copenhagen? Copenhagen was not liberated untill after the German Forces in North West Germany and Denmark had oficially surrendered. Montgommery flew to Copenhagen with a few men and got the official surrender of the garrison.

Post #: 1348
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 5/2/2009 11:44:46 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: praem

8. Who liberated Copenhagen? Copenhagen was not liberated untill after the German Forces in North West Germany and Denmark had oficially surrendered. Montgommery flew to Copenhagen with a few men and got the official surrender of the garrison.

Sweden had a some troops assembled and a plan to liberate Copenhagen and other parts of Denmark (and Norway) if the German troops there would not surrender. But when there was no major fighting there they decided to stand down and not enter the war just for the last few days. That sort of made it easier to claim neutrality for the future (one of the main reasons not to enter late in the war on the allied side).

(in reply to praem)
Post #: 1349
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 5/2/2009 12:23:18 PM   
Walloc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Sweden had a some troops assembled and a plan to liberate Copenhagen and other parts of Denmark (and Norway) if the German troops there would not surrender. But when there was no major fighting there they decided to stand down and not enter the war just for the last few days. That sort of made it easier to claim neutrality for the future (one of the main reasons not to enter late in the war on the allied side).

Apart from that there was the Danish brigade. 5+ btns strong. Consisting entirely of danes who had fleed/ordered to sweden. They recieved training and equipment from the swedish/british military and landed on the 5th of may in Helsingør. comming from Sweden and entered Copenhagen later on that day.

As a curiostery the Bde was actually officially a part of the 21 Army group.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 5/2/2009 12:28:01 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1350
Page:   <<   < prev  43 44 [45] 46 47   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: OT - WWII quiz Page: <<   < prev  43 44 [45] 46 47   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI