Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SUPER BOWL COULD BE STAGED IN LONDON

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> The Red Zone! >> SUPER BOWL COULD BE STAGED IN LONDON Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SUPER BOWL COULD BE STAGED IN LONDON - 5/4/2009 3:22:45 AM   
VCFL Commish

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=277366

Is this fair to cities with teams that haven`t hosted the game.
Post #: 1
RE: SUPER BOWL COULD BE STAGED IN LONDON - 5/4/2009 9:03:07 AM   
DONMVP

sure is`nt nothing against England . But it just another way that advertising and TV have screwed up a great game . GOODELL , Is more pathetic then pete rozelle EVER WAS . Football has gotten worst over the years from free agency , to all wild card playoffs and the way tv has ditated when and where games our played and the times to.I hav`nt been a season ticket holder for almost 20 years now , since the raiders left oakland in 81 I know if i had seats again i would`nt like a city , not in the leaguehosting its biggest game . Before they even think of it they need to address the fans about it . Like what time of day they going to play it . I believe theres a big time difference .What about the weather , i would imagine it be as bad as north east is in late january . Plus i would think the union might have a say , wembley field has looked bad the 2 games i saw . Be a lot worst in january . But knowing owners and players they might, as well get on there knees now and pucker up ,lol. I love toronto , but i think buffalo is screwing them big time. Face it mexico is never going to get a team .

(in reply to VCFL Commish)
Post #: 2
RE: SUPER BOWL COULD BE STAGED IN LONDON - 5/5/2009 2:22:47 AM   
Mykal

What will be, will be
simple as that....................

Nope I'm not just saying that because I'm english
in actual fact - I'm not even a fan of regular season games being hosted in London, never mind the Biggest Game in sport
taking a home game away from any team isn't a good thing
and moving the SuperBowl thousands of miles away from its native country is stupid

But if the big wigs in the NFL want it to happen, it will.........
no point in getting upset over it

And yes DONMVP, London in January will be horrid
the new Wembley Stadium turf wont be up to the task in my opinion
its never been right since they re-vamped/re-built it
had it been the old Wembley Stadium things would have been fine but its not, so it wont.

(in reply to DONMVP)
Post #: 3
RE: SUPER BOWL COULD BE STAGED IN LONDON - 5/5/2009 8:51:21 AM   
DONMVP

Well I don`t mean ANYTHING BAD .About England , but i really don`t think it`s great to take a game from home fans . Exhibition games i have no problem with it . Because i`d say almost half of home team fans, care less about game . now as for the SUPER BOWL . Most games there is a home team in the league getting benefits from it . Also it brings tourist to those cities , and brings influx of money to towns and state . So even thought its great feather in there hat to do it in another country . But i imagine as time comes close to picking a year or game , there might be a big backlash from american fans .

(in reply to Mykal)
Post #: 4
RE: SUPER BOWL COULD BE STAGED IN LONDON - 5/5/2009 11:05:15 AM   
Mykal

quote:

there might be a big backlash from american fans .

And rightly so,
you try telling a hardend Hull City Fan "Sorry Mate, No home game this week, its being played in Detroit"
that would float like a lead balloon.
or............ "This year the Wembley FA Cup Final will be played in Tampa Bay",

I totally get your point.

(in reply to DONMVP)
Post #: 5
RE: SUPER BOWL COULD BE STAGED IN LONDON - 5/5/2009 5:46:51 PM   
Marauders

London couldn't even keep an NFL Europe team alive; why should they get a Superbowl?

It's hard enough for the average working guy to go to games, and the Superbowl is now a big money corporate event.  If the Superbowl is played outside of the United States, I certainly would not watch the game, and I'd likely get on many fan boards to encourage a boycott.

(in reply to Mykal)
Post #: 6
RE: SUPER BOWL COULD BE STAGED IN LONDON - 5/5/2009 8:38:21 PM   
Mykal

and that boycott would achieve ????
dont misunderstand I'm all for the SuperBowl staying on American Soil
but in the big money NFL, your few dollars accounts for.................. you see where I'm going

On the other note, London and NFL europe etc
thats not really a fair statement........... little if anything was known about the game WE call great
when American Football was introduced to this country by way of the London Monarchs
How was a nation brought up on Soccer supposed to get behind ..........Rugby with Helmets and wierd rules, as I heard it referred to once

there was little if any coverage of the game over here at that time
and as years past it didnt get much better, the odd game shown on a single channel (channel 5)
that not everyone had access too without the right kind of arial to recieve the feed.......
plus add the fact it was usually one of the later sunday night games....... which over here means kick-off at about 1.30AM or so
kind of off putting when you have to be up for work the next morning by no later than 7AM

However things are much better now, we get tons of coverage........ earlier games
widely accessable to the masses and the following of the game has certainly grown
which is why Wembley stadium was sold out within 72 hours of tickets going on sale to the last 2 games played over here

I was one of a very small few who knew what I was watching and liked it
I remember how it used to be............ sat up all hours to watch a game........
I enjoy the experience much better now

So Yes we couldn't hold onto a team here
but theirs more to it than you may see up front from far over the pond

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 7
RE: SUPER BOWL COULD BE STAGED IN LONDON - 5/6/2009 2:02:33 AM   
garysorrell

I think if you located an NFL team in London, they would succeed. The WLAF/NFLE was not the NFL. I would love to see a couple European teams, UK, Germany, maybe Spain. Throw one in Toronto and Mexico City.

And really, I never go to Super Bowls because I would rather watch on my bigass TV. And couldnt afford to go if I wanted. American pro sports leagues are not very family friendly. I saw a few Jaguar games, years ago...usually just me or with my son. All I could afford.

I never cared for what Tagliabue did as commissioner, and I dont care for Goodell either. But, if they sent the Super Bowl overseas, it wouldnt matter squat to me. As long as I can watch it.
If in the past, Montreal Expos had played Toronto Bluejays in the World Series, Americas great past-time...our beloved baseball would have held its championship series in a foreign country.....I would have watched.

(in reply to Mykal)
Post #: 8
RE: SUPER BOWL COULD BE STAGED IN LONDON - 5/6/2009 4:33:32 AM   
Marauders

quote:

and that boycott would achieve ????
dont misunderstand I'm all for the SuperBowl staying on American Soil
but in the big money NFL, your few dollars accounts for.................. you see where I'm going

A moral and ethical victory.

If one cannot have that, then what does it all matter anyway?

By the way, the NFL is allowed certain monopolies by Congress.  I doubt the NFL would be allowed to do this without some real legal trouble.

(in reply to garysorrell)
Post #: 9
RE: SUPER BOWL COULD BE STAGED IN LONDON - 5/6/2009 10:46:06 AM   
Mykal

quote:

A moral and ethical victory.

If one cannot have that, then what does it all matter anyway?

Yes it would be that
but nothing more than that I expect

quote:

By the way, the NFL is allowed certain monopolies by Congress. I doubt the NFL would be allowed to do this without some real legal trouble.

From what I've seen, The NFL usually gets their Cake and can eat it, then ask for a second slice and get that too.

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 10
RE: SUPER BOWL COULD BE STAGED IN LONDON - 5/6/2009 4:59:01 PM   
mudrick

Unless one intends on going to the SB, what's the big deal?  Just like the World Series, its' not like I can get tickets to it.  If you are going to watch the SB, who cares if it's played in Texas, London, or the North Pole?

(in reply to Mykal)
Post #: 11
RE: SUPER BOWL COULD BE STAGED IN LONDON - 5/7/2009 1:27:49 PM   
Scott_WAR

London is 6 hours ahead of central time in the US,.....so a 7 pm kickoff in London would be at 1 pm in the afternoon here. I guess it being on a Sunday that wouldnt be too bad...................

(in reply to mudrick)
Post #: 12
RE: SUPER BOWL COULD BE STAGED IN LONDON - 5/7/2009 3:05:44 PM   
Great White

Marauders, Scott_WAR & The Rest of You,

You nailed it; however, I thought in my copy of The Miami Herald The NFL already made known that idea was dead.

Scott_WAR,

Any thing less than 4pm, even on a Sunday, The NFL would never do; because prime-time money is never a part of the game.

mudrick,

My immediate response is to say of course it matters; however, the first-part of the post makes me think a lot harder on what you are saying. Heck, I do not even attend too expensive NFL Games, let alone the biggest, and the host cities rarely profit enough money to make it worth while. However, as VCFL Commish said, think of all The NFL's cities, that have NFL Franchises, that never have had the game, just to have it. Also, no more NFL franchises have the longest of long shots to be the true home franchise in the biggest game, huge advantage (field conditions, weather and etc).

< Message edited by Great White -- 5/7/2009 3:21:57 PM >

Thank you. Not racist/favorite animal. Hate Madden/NCAA/Industry is behind. Past-coach/player/sports radio/referee, now-private: teacher/coach/owner-Great White's Sports Association-FootBall/Rugby/Lacrosse, planned-late ‘2010. Student/industry person? PM

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 13
RE: SUPER BOWL COULD BE STAGED IN LONDON - 8/15/2009 7:19:00 AM   
CheddarLover74

quote:

ORIGINAL: VCFL Commish

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=277366

Is this fair to cities with teams that haven`t hosted the game.

No more unfair then the NFL's requirement to host a SuperBowl now.

90% of NFL cities will never host a SuperBowl so go ahead and hold it in London.

< Message edited by CheddarLover74 -- 8/15/2009 7:20:01 AM >

(in reply to VCFL Commish)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> The Red Zone! >> SUPER BOWL COULD BE STAGED IN LONDON Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI