Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Attrition

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Attrition Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Attrition - 5/6/2009 11:42:19 PM   
Lützow

I have 60something units gathered in Ft. Monroe, preparing for a major offensive on Richmond. Got an administrative leader in as well and built several depots. However, after finishing turn I'm going to lose 3-5 of them due to disbanding. Tried save/load several times but always get same result. Is this some kind of stacking penalty and if so, can it be avoided ?
Post #: 1
RE: Attrition - 5/7/2009 1:08:20 AM   
Doc o War

Ft Monroe is a Swamp Region Lutzow. Just like in the real summer 1862 campaign on the Penninsula if you stay in Ft Monroe expect heavy attrition for being in a swamp hex.. The real Union Army was badly damaged by Malaria and other swamp fevers during that campaign- this game has a rules set about being in swamps regions and Union troops fare worse in swamps, Just like historically.

Tell me the story of the common foot soldier, and I will tell you the story of all wars.
... Heroditus.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 2
RE: Attrition - 5/7/2009 11:29:30 AM   
Lützow

Alright, seems inevitable then. However, is it even possible to launch a succesful land offensive from Ft. Monroe? I got beaten with like 65 units and 12 cruisers in my back, by attempting to invade New Kent.

To sum it up: what does it take to conquer Virginia. Invading Manassas from Washington with 85 units didn't work either. So is Virginia about decisive battles or rather attritional warfare?

< Message edited by Lützow -- 5/7/2009 3:46:29 PM >

(in reply to Doc o War)
Post #: 3
RE: Attrition - 5/7/2009 6:26:19 PM   
rmday

Hiya--

I have had success in a singular way...stiking two places at once. I have come out of Ft. Monroe and Washington at the same time. I have also come out of West Virginia and Washington at the same time. The latter is my personal favorite. Confederate reaction forces can beat you in one place but not always in two places at the same time. Using cavalry to tear up rail can halt reaction forces in certain places.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 4
RE: Attrition - 5/8/2009 1:32:29 PM   
Lützow

Finally conquered Manassas by launching distraction attacks from Staunton and Ft. Monroe, while my main force invaded from Washington. Took me quite some save/loads to figure out the ideal setup though.

Aside from the fact that my geographical knowledge about the US considerably improved over the past 2 weeks, WbtS is a great albeit time consuming game. I use to play 1-2h for most turns till I'm satisfied with the results.

(in reply to rmday)
Post #: 5
RE: Attrition - 5/9/2009 12:20:26 AM   
Treefrog

rmday,
I think that the CSA can repair the railroad good enough to get overland movement of "1" per region during his/her phase.

"L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace."

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Attrition Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI