Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pre-Ordering ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Pre-Ordering ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pre-Ordering ? - 5/13/2009 8:13:53 AM   
Greywolf

Hello,

would it be possible to put a pre-order on the game ? This way on the release day I will just have to DL it from the Matrix Member page and not wait several month for it to cross the Atlantic ?

Regards,

Nath.

Lt. Col. Ivan 'Greywolf' Kerensky
Post #: 1
RE: Pre-Ordering ? - 5/13/2009 8:42:00 AM   
csharpmao

I think there has been a discussion on the forum on pre-ordering the game, but I can't find it anymore.
I think it's not necessary, as Matrix proposes to buy any of their games, and dowload it while it's shipped.

quote:

The Best of Both Worlds Digital Downloads and Physical Shipment!
When you select this option you can use our digital download option to get the game right away and start playing. Then have a boxed copy of the game shipped to you as a backup for permanent storage. With a backup, you'll be prepared for whatever comes your way-whether it's a system crash, a computer virus damaging your files or the software simply no longer functioning as it should. You will be billed to have the game shipped in a printed DVD box with a printed CD and your serial number.

(in reply to Greywolf)
Post #: 2
RE: Pre-Ordering ? - 5/13/2009 12:59:46 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: csharpmao

I think there has been a discussion on the forum on pre-ordering the game, but I can't find it anymore.
I think it's not necessary, as Matrix proposes to buy any of their games, and dowload it while it's shipped.

quote:

The Best of Both Worlds Digital Downloads and Physical Shipment!
When you select this option you can use our digital download option to get the game right away and start playing. Then have a boxed copy of the game shipped to you as a backup for permanent storage. With a backup, you'll be prepared for whatever comes your way-whether it's a system crash, a computer virus damaging your files or the software simply no longer functioning as it should. You will be billed to have the game shipped in a printed DVD box with a printed CD and your serial number.

Normally that option costs you extra.

One that's worth it to me as it's the option I always use.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to csharpmao)
Post #: 3
RE: Pre-Ordering ? - 5/13/2009 1:20:50 PM   
csharpmao

I didn't try all the games sold by Matrix, but for all the games I checked, the price seems the same as the boxed version only.
I think I'll take this option to start playing it on July 27th, and will not have to wait 2-3 weeks for the boxed version.

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 4
RE: Pre-Ordering ? - 5/13/2009 1:21:15 PM   
Mike Parker

Yep the download plus physical is the way to go.  I could just do the download and make my own disc but having the box and manual all together is very handy!

Post #: 5
RE: Pre-Ordering ? - 5/15/2009 5:47:37 AM   
brian brian

if you buy the download you get a permanent serial number to use, if you need a new copy?

I avoid buying any more fragile little round discs as much as possible these days. I'd rather move a couple-three external hard drives around than boxes and boxes of jewel cases, etc.

(in reply to Mike Parker)
Post #: 6
RE: Pre-Ordering ? - 5/15/2009 1:21:05 PM   
Mike Parker

Yes you get a serial number to use. So if your HDD goes bad you can just redownload the thing (or you did save the download file onto a CD-R right?) and your good to go. I get physical also so that I have a box with a pristine disc as backup to re-install and a manual, that I occasionally pop open and read when I get into bed a little early. I am sure you appreciate the details of my home life.

But Its worth the extra $$ to me to have the disc and printed manual in a box. I realize I could archive the downloaded file, with a .txt containing the reg code and put the manual on the disc too, but wow that is alot of work, it made me tired typing it!

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 7
RE: Pre-Ordering ? - 5/15/2009 5:28:19 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Parker

Yes you get a serial number to use. So if your HDD goes bad you can just redownload the thing (or you did save the download file onto a CD-R right?) and your good to go. I get physical also so that I have a box with a pristine disc as backup to re-install and a manual, that I occasionally pop open and read when I get into bed a little early. I am sure you appreciate the details of my home life.

But Its worth the extra $$ to me to have the disc and printed manual in a box. I realize I could archive the downloaded file, with a .txt containing the reg code and put the manual on the disc too, but wow that is alot of work, it made me tired typing it!

The printed manual will be more than double the size of most. Actually it has been so long since I looked at another computer game, I don't know how big the typical manual is these days. However, I do know that Erik had to make special arrangements with the printer and the company that boxes their games to print/bind the larger manual and have a box that was large enough to accommodate it.

I estimate the manual will be roughly 250-300 pages of 8.5" by 11".

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Mike Parker)
Post #: 8
RE: Pre-Ordering ? - 5/19/2009 1:25:10 AM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

if you buy the download you get a permanent serial number to use, if you need a new copy?

I avoid buying any more fragile little round discs as much as possible these days. I'd rather move a couple-three external hard drives around than boxes and boxes of jewel cases, etc.

If you buy the download you get a specific number like 10 downloads for that game IIRC, but it could be more.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 9
RE: Pre-Ordering ? - 5/19/2009 1:28:38 AM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

The printed manual will be more than double the size of most. Actually it has been so long since I looked at another computer game, I don't know how big the typical manual is these days. However, I do know that Erik had to make special arrangements with the printer and the company that boxes their games to print/bind the larger manual and have a box that was large enough to accommodate it.

I just printed out the final version of ADG's rules and they were 97 pages long. Without charts. I have no idea how large the charts are or at this point even where to get them. The charts can't be many pages compared to the rest of the rules though. The production spiral should all be on the computer and that will help as well. I'm sure that most, if not all, of the charts will be in the computer as well.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 10
RE: Pre-Ordering ? - 5/19/2009 1:46:25 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

quote:

quote:

I just printed out the final version of ADG's rules and they were 97 pages long. Without charts. I have no idea how large the charts are or at this point even where to get them. The charts can't be many pages compared to the rest of the rules though. The production spiral should all be on the computer and that will help as well. I'm sure that most, if not all, of the charts will be in the computer as well.

Good Hunting.

MR

MWIF includes access to RAW (Rules as Written) and the board game charts/tables from the help menu. It also provides access to RAC (Rules as Coded) which I believe is a slightly easier to read version of RAW which includes all the corrections, clarifications, and MWIF deviations to and from RAW.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Post #: 11
RE: Pre-Ordering ? - 5/19/2009 10:50:02 AM   
Caquineur

quote:

...I just printed out the final version of ADG's rules and they were 97 pages long. Without charts. I have no idea how large the charts are or at this point even where to get them...

Howdy Steve,

What you could do is download the vassal module for World in Flames (you can find a link to it, with comments and explanations, on Patrice's world-famous WIF web site

You can then open the module with Vassal - or else you can rename it with a ".zip" extension, unzip the files (a lot of them, so it may take some time) and then sort them by size : the tiny ones are mostly counters, the big ones are maps, charts and other (more or else useful) stuff.

Hope it'll help (certainly did that for me !)

Alain

Post #: 12
RE: Pre-Ordering ? - 5/22/2009 12:59:11 AM   
panzers

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good Hunting.

MR

That's why I always say ot is nice to have the BG version for a reference

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Pre-Ordering ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI