Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Fine Tuned mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge >> Mods >> RE: The Fine Tuned mod Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 5/6/2009 10:12:09 PM   
Foraven

I just experimented with "accuracy_mod" constant, i guess it's possible to have a descent setting for accuracy vs skills. I increased the values for the next version.

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 31
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 5/7/2009 3:41:47 AM   
QTQuazar

sounds good! thanks for the quick reply, and great news on the AI. and i agree--shortening ranges is likely not the best solution. accuracy is probably the preferable route. i do wonder, however, looking at JA2 as a base, whether there was some kind of ratio between all the weapons (rather than a set 'distance')

as for the medikit issue, i was guessing it wasn't yours, but i think you've missed my point:

in JA2, when you used medikit to 'bandage' your mercs, it would simply change your health bar from yellow (bleeding) to orange (bandaged but wounded). over time, either with a doctor or hospital, that merc would heal up and the orange would change to red (real health). if you were especially low in health (most of your bar yellow or close to dead in other words) when you used medikit you would regain a bit of red as well at first (especially moving from unconscious to conscious) when you used medikit. but after that initial gain, the red would not rise from *medikit use* (because no matter how many bandages you slap on that bullet hole, it's not going anywhere for a while)

IN HG, you can simply use the medikit to heal yourself right up. every use of the medikit adds a few points of REAL HEALTH--red bar. thus, i can break off firefights, sit around clicking up my merc's health, and re-engage the firefight at full health. it's like having a cleric cast cure light wounds on my merc every round.

that's a serious exploit. i've taken a merc from unconscious to almost full health across 10 rounds of combat. i don't know what they're putting in those medikits, but it can apparently cure multiple gunshot and stab wounds. makes absolutely no sense.

anyway, try it out, and hopefully you can confirm this behaviour. aside from that, i do think the medikits get 'used up' too slowly in game. their point is portability and versatility, so they can't have a huge amount of everything. in JA2, they seemed to deplete at an appropriate speed, to the point where you could be caught short of materials if you hadn't prepared well for a particularly nasty fight on hardcore.

cheers!

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 32
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 5/7/2009 5:24:11 AM   
Foraven

quote:

ORIGINAL: QTQuazar

as for the medikit issue, i was guessing it wasn't yours, but i think you've missed my point:

in JA2, when you used medikit to 'bandage' your mercs, it would simply change your health bar from yellow (bleeding) to orange (bandaged but wounded). over time, either with a doctor or hospital, that merc would heal up and the orange would change to red (real health). if you were especially low in health (most of your bar yellow or close to dead in other words) when you used medikit you would regain a bit of red as well at first (especially moving from unconscious to conscious) when you used medikit. but after that initial gain, the red would not rise from *medikit use* (because no matter how many bandages you slap on that bullet hole, it's not going anywhere for a while)

IN HG, you can simply use the medikit to heal yourself right up. every use of the medikit adds a few points of REAL HEALTH--red bar. thus, i can break off firefights, sit around clicking up my merc's health, and re-engage the firefight at full health. it's like having a cleric cast cure light wounds on my merc every round.

that's a serious exploit. i've taken a merc from unconscious to almost full health across 10 rounds of combat. i don't know what they're putting in those medikits, but it can apparently cure multiple gunshot and stab wounds. makes absolutely no sense.

I noticed that problem when i first played the demo, but in the current version i'm using (1.07), it works like JA2 (ie, it just bandage, not heal). Maybe something when wrong when you patched...

(in reply to QTQuazar)
Post #: 33
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 5/7/2009 6:21:30 AM   
QTQuazar

huh. i'll have to check the patch again, i guess. i don't have the game installed in the standard directory, but it should have read the location correctly off the registry, i would think.

i can't find a version number indicator anywhere in game. am i missing something obvious?

also, i was toying around in the .xml files, and I'm thinking of re-writing the entire English dialog, since the current version is... well... embarrassing, to the point of even being confusing at times or not giving you the proper conversation keys to make a reasonable guess at the outcome of what you're saying.

this would be a major project, so i was wondering if anyone in the modders had dialogue trees available, or whether there was a program to recreate them, rather than me trying to abstract everything out of context (or worse yet, trying to hunt down every option in game)

would this project be worthwhile to others? also, is it feasible for you to code new trees (with resultant triggers and actions), in the future, if i did the dialogue? or is the game code too closed? some situations like the 'safari' don't exactly offer you a wide range of choices. if that isn't possible, i'd at least like to vary the text for certain mercs to add their own personality or spin.

on that note, do the Mercs ever interact with each other? that was the best part of the JA series, IMO--finding out when one hated another, having them break into gunfights among themselves, Larry falling off the wagon, Ivan learning English over the course of two games. miss that. they had personality. made you care when one got whacked.

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 34
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 5/7/2009 8:09:38 AM   
Foraven

quote:

ORIGINAL: QTQuazar

also, i was toying around in the .xml files, and I'm thinking of re-writing the entire English dialog, since the current version is... well... embarrassing, to the point of even being confusing at times or not giving you the proper conversation keys to make a reasonable guess at the outcome of what you're saying.

I'm currently redoing a lot of the game myself, but rewriting the dialogs isn't one thing i plan on doing. At least someone should do it :).

quote:

would this project be worthwhile to others? also, is it feasible for you to code new trees (with resultant triggers and actions), in the future, if i did the dialogue? or is the game code too closed? some situations like the 'safari' don't exactly offer you a wide range of choices. if that isn't possible, i'd at least like to vary the text for certain mercs to add their own personality or spin.

I think it would complement my own work well. I believe you can add a lot to the game dialogs and their consequences, the game scripts are very flexible and powerful.

quote:

on that note, do the Mercs ever interact with each other? that was the best part of the JA series, IMO--finding out when one hated another, having them break into gunfights among themselves, Larry falling off the wagon, Ivan learning English over the course of two games. miss that. they had personality. made you care when one got whacked.

Yes they do.

< Message edited by Foraven -- 5/7/2009 8:11:03 AM >

(in reply to QTQuazar)
Post #: 35
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 5/7/2009 8:14:46 AM   
Foraven

Oh and by the way, the new version is nearly done. I greatly improved the ai by fixing broken code and adding a few features like prioritizing targets and managing breath. But my mod is getting too big, i will need a place to host it.

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 36
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 5/7/2009 8:38:52 AM   
Foraven

Deleted

< Message edited by Foraven -- 6/9/2009 6:59:44 PM >

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 37
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 5/8/2009 5:10:17 AM   
Foraven

My new AI is almost completed. It will be much better than the last once i have rooted out the last few bugs.

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 38
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 5/11/2009 4:57:04 AM   
Foraven

Deleted

< Message edited by Foraven -- 6/9/2009 7:00:04 PM >

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 39
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 5/12/2009 3:03:05 PM   
Foraven

Version 1.4 is up. Enjoy :).

I did not have time to redo the enemy inventory yet, but i plan to do it soon. Also, there are a few description i did not have time to redo, it will also be done later. 

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 40
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 5/12/2009 9:02:54 PM   
Reinforce

Great work so far Foraven. Your able to to sooo much more then I was ever able to do.

Now to find the time to play.. damn Fallout 3 is sucking up all my time but I need to save my daddy. :P

As for a hosting place have you looked at Filefront? I've hosted files there befor and it worked very well.

Much Love,
Reinforce

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 41
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 5/12/2009 10:25:00 PM   
Foraven

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reinforce

Great work so far Foraven. Your able to to sooo much more then I was ever able to do.

Now to find the time to play.. damn Fallout 3 is sucking up all my time but I need to save my daddy. :P

As for a hosting place have you looked at Filefront? I've hosted files there befor and it worked very well.

Much Love,
Reinforce

Thanks. I did a lot, but there is plenty i want to do, and a few things i know i may not be able to. There is so much that seem to have been planed for this game, i try to bring some of it back :). Also, i will take a look at filefront for my future versions, seem a lot of modders use FF.

(in reply to Reinforce)
Post #: 42
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 5/13/2009 12:12:33 AM   
Reinforce

I know one big thing that I think everyone wants to see done is take the LoS out of the GLs and make them a lobbing weapon. I looked into that and was totaly at a loss as to how to go about doing that.. short of setting the weapon as a grenade and throwing it at people... don't ask but it was funny. Not sure if thats modable though, I think it may be a hardcoded thing in the games engine.

Much Love,
Reinforce

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 43
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 5/13/2009 3:43:09 AM   
Foraven

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reinforce

I know one big thing that I think everyone wants to see done is take the LoS out of the GLs and make them a lobbing weapon. I looked into that and was totaly at a loss as to how to go about doing that.. short of setting the weapon as a grenade and throwing it at people... don't ask but it was funny. Not sure if thats modable though, I think it may be a hardcoded thing in the games engine.

Much Love,
Reinforce

Hum... I haven't been looking that far yet into the game. One thing i'm sure is the AI was never coded to handle weapons like them, i'm pretty sure they would blast each others to kindom come if i gave them any to use. I will take a look and see if there is something that can be done. I did try to see if ammo types could alter the accuracy of weapons, but i had no luck so far (i was trying to fix the shotguns so slugs don't share the ****ty accuracy of pellets).

(in reply to Reinforce)
Post #: 44
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 5/13/2009 11:59:33 AM   
Hard Sarge

with the matrix patch, I am doing very well with my slugs now (at the train station, my shotgunner, made a mess of the guys inside of the station, was very happy with how it was working, he was getting clean one shot kills)

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 45
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 5/14/2009 4:46:00 AM   
Foraven

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

with the matrix patch, I am doing very well with my slugs now (at the train station, my shotgunner, made a mess of the guys inside of the station, was very happy with how it was working, he was getting clean one shot kills)

Did something change since the last patch? As far as i can tell, slugs and pellets have the same accuracy, but pellets hit more often because they are 19 while the slugs is only one bullet. Anyway, i guess i will have to check out the new patch eventually (once i'm sure it won't wreak the game more than it fix it).

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 46
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 5/14/2009 11:31:23 PM   
ZK

I had to shelve this game for awhile so should try 1.4 or is there another version in the works? I'm only interested in the AI portion if that makes a difference.

As for shotguns I've always wondered why 19 pellets? Is that some European/Russian standard? In the US 2 3/4 inch(70mm) is commonly 12(sometimes 9) pellets 00 buck, 3 inch(76mm) 15 pellets 00 buck. I don't know about now but in the past the US military also used the smaller 4 buck(41 pellets) which might be good for a laugh or crashing the game.

If you can do anything with the GL's that would be great. As they are now they're useless. Even decreasing the dispersion/miss radius would helpful. On a few occasions I've had them even seemingly disappear. Either there's a minimum arming range and they went very short or they missed so bad they exploded someplace I couldn't see or hear and I usually keep zoomed out pretty far.

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 47
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 5/15/2009 2:28:26 AM   
Foraven

quote:

ORIGINAL: ZK

I had to shelve this game for awhile so should try 1.4 or is there another version in the works? I'm only interested in the AI portion if that makes a difference.

The AI in my mod should prove to be a lot better than stock, though there are still room for improvement. But i'm taking a break from AI editing for now. I'm not against suggestions though, that might give me some ideas...

quote:

As for shotguns I've always wondered why 19 pellets? Is that some European/Russian standard? In the US 2 3/4 inch(70mm) is commonly 12(sometimes 9) pellets 00 buck, 3 inch(76mm) 15 pellets 00 buck. I don't know about now but in the past the US military also used the smaller 4 buck(41 pellets) which might be good for a laugh or crashing the game.

Well, i don't know anything about how many pellets it is supposed to contain. On thing is sure is that i had to tone down the damage because shotguns pellets were ripping appart even well armored enemies.

quote:

If you can do anything with the GL's that would be great. As they are now they're useless. Even decreasing the dispersion/miss radius would helpful. On a few occasions I've had them even seemingly disappear. Either there's a minimum arming range and they went very short or they missed so bad they exploded someplace I couldn't see or hear and I usually keep zoomed out pretty far.

I admit i haven't tried them yet, i guess i should take a look to see what improvement i can do...

(in reply to ZK)
Post #: 48
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 5/15/2009 4:56:15 AM   
ZK

Thanks, I'll see if I can play with it some this weekend.

Have you been able to tell if shotgun pellets do fixed damage or if it's something like base damage/# of pellets?

Also while you're looking at accuracy have you noticed far_shooting in constants? The note translates roughly to "distance from which a shot is considered to be that far in meters".

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 49
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 5/15/2009 2:50:21 PM   
Foraven

quote:

ORIGINAL: ZK

Thanks, I'll see if I can play with it some this weekend.

Have you been able to tell if shotgun pellets do fixed damage or if it's something like base damage/# of pellets?

Also while you're looking at accuracy have you noticed far_shooting in constants? The note translates roughly to "distance from which a shot is considered to be that far in meters".

From what i could observe, it seem each pellet is considered a bullet and do damage individually. The more of them strike, the more damage. But like every other bullet, they can miss, they can pierce or bounce away. When they all strike, it's a lot of damage...

(in reply to ZK)
Post #: 50
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 5/20/2009 1:15:35 AM   
Foraven

New version is on the way. I'm almost done with the reworking of the enemies inventory, next i will have to make sure it's all used by the random spawning. This should fix a lot of issues with the wacky inventory soldiers spawn with, and end game enemies will carry appropriate equipment. This version will also fix some of the appearances issues with mercs and enemies.

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 51
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 5/20/2009 9:37:00 PM   
Foraven

I'm currently working on the grenade launchers... Seem there are a *few* problems with them. The most noticable is the lack of explosion, then the missing shooting sound, and last the reload sound that is wrong... So much to fix there. But i think i can get this right with a little thinkering.

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 52
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 5/21/2009 2:53:43 AM   
Foraven

Looking good. Grenade launchers and rpgs are fixed, they now have proper sound and explosions. I could not change grenade launchers to shoot over obstacles, but 40mm grenades aren't meant for that anyway.

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 53
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 5/22/2009 12:15:32 PM   
Foraven

Deleted

< Message edited by Foraven -- 6/9/2009 7:00:28 PM >

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 54
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 5/23/2009 12:18:50 AM   
rickandrewl

When starting the game I get Yamsay and get his gun but the gun cannot be loaded with the ammo can you please look into this i believe someone posted this before.

thanks

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 55
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 5/23/2009 11:42:01 AM   
Foraven

quote:

ORIGINAL: rickandrewl

When starting the game I get Yamsay and get his gun but the gun cannot be loaded with the ammo can you please look into this i believe someone posted this before.

thanks

Try the x20 mags, the will work. I restricted the x5 and x10 to sniper rifles, and the x100 to machineguns.

(in reply to rickandrewl)
Post #: 56
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 5/23/2009 3:52:56 PM   
rickandrewl

the 20 mag clips don't work, Yamsay starts out with 20 mag clips and he can't load his gun at the begining of the game

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 57
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 5/23/2009 4:18:01 PM   
Jams

quote:

ORIGINAL: Foraven

Try the x20 mags, the will work. I restricted the x5 and x10 to sniper rifles, and the x100 to machineguns.

Jut out of curiosity, why? the game already docks you more ap for loading from the wrong clip.

@ rickandrewl - Yamasy has a sniper rifle, he needs to use the smaller mags.

< Message edited by Jams -- 5/23/2009 4:20:21 PM >

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 58
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 5/23/2009 7:17:47 PM   
Foraven

quote:

ORIGINAL: rickandrewl

the 20 mag clips don't work, Yamsay starts out with 20 mag clips and he can't load his gun at the begining of the game

Strange, it's supposed to work. At least it does on my version here. I gave the same loadout to the AI and it shoot me just fine with it.

(in reply to rickandrewl)
Post #: 59
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 5/23/2009 7:24:12 PM   
Foraven

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jams

quote:

ORIGINAL: Foraven

Jut out of curiosity, why? the game already docks you more ap for loading from the wrong clip.

@ rickandrewl - Yamasy has a sniper rifle, he needs to use the smaller mags.

Well, i meant it to be harder to get ammo for every guns, especially from format that should not be readily compatible (to my knowledge). Anyway, i might reconsider in the next version, it's simple enough to change the ammo how it was before.

(in reply to Jams)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge >> Mods >> RE: The Fine Tuned mod Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI