Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 2/19/2009 10:56:56 PM   
warspite1

HELP REQUIRED PLEASE

Does anyone know where I can get Output, Speed and Armament details for the Catapult Armed Merchantman, Empire Morn? I need to use her for one of the ASW Carrier write-ups, but whilst I can find loads of good stuff on her career (which makes her ideal for the write-up) I can`t find these technical details...

Any assistance would be appreciated thank you.

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 991
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 2/19/2009 11:18:16 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

HELP REQUIRED PLEASE

Does anyone know where I can get Output, Speed and Armament details for the Catapult Armed Merchantman, Empire Morn? I need to use her for one of the ASW Carrier write-ups, but whilst I can find loads of good stuff on her career (which makes her ideal for the write-up) I can`t find these technical details...

Jane's Fighting Merchantmen?

...sorry, just kidding

Paul

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 992
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 2/19/2009 11:19:55 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

HELP REQUIRED PLEASE

Jane's Fighting Merchantmen?

...sorry, just kidding

Warspite1

That`s REALLY helpful thank you

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 993
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 2/20/2009 12:16:01 AM   
macgregor

Perhaps here. http://www.warshipsww2.eu/staty.php?language=E I'm not sure about that specific ship, but the class should be there.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 994
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 2/20/2009 12:23:47 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: macgregor

Perhaps here. http://www.warshipsww2.eu/staty.php?language=E I'm not sure about that specific ship, but the class should be there.

Warspite1

An interesting site that I have not come across before - thank you. The ship is there...although sadly without the data I need

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 995
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 2/20/2009 1:53:53 AM   
Mad66

What is that you mean by Output?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 996
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 2/20/2009 8:53:54 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad66

What is that you mean by Output?

Warspite1

Sorry, that the horsepower figure.

(in reply to Mad66)
Post #: 997
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 2/20/2009 9:15:10 PM   
Vincenzo_Beretta

quote:

Sorry, that the horsepower figure.

2,100 HP according to this post - at least when the ship was sailing under a new owner and a new name (Rio Pas) after the war.
http://www.webmar.com/foros/viewtopic.php?f=43&p=42328

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 998
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 2/21/2009 1:58:14 AM   
terje439

quote:

HELP REQUIRED PLEASE

From JGN

SS Empire Morn (aka San Antonio and Rio Pas)

http://uboat.net/allies/merchants/ships/2885.html

http://www.buques.org/Monografias/Old%20ships.htm

Built in 1941 by Vickers, in Barrow, as "Empire Morn" for the Ministry of Shipping, later Ministry of War Transport as a “Type Y” vessel. She was a Catapult Aircraft Merchantman Ship (CAMS) and carried one Hawker Hurricane. These ships were mainly sailing on the “Murmansk Run” carrying supplies to the Soviet Union. On April 26, 1943 she struck a mine in position 33-52N 007-50W, in front of Casablanca, destroying the stern as far as to the hold N. 4. She was towed to Gibraltar where she was bought by

In 1947 she was sold to Spain, fitted with a new stern in Cadiz and renamed San Antonio for D. Fernando Maria Pereda Aparicio. 1947 renamed Rio Pas for the same owner. 1963 sold to Marítima Colonial y de Comercio SA (MARCOSA), Madrid. Broken up at Santander in January 1973.

Gross Tonnage - 7,092

Dead Weight Tonnage - 10,000

Dimensions - 136.64 x 17.1 meters

Completed - 1941

Complement - 71

Propulsion - Triple Expansion steam engines

Armament - One forward mounted catapult used to launch one Hawker Hurricane aircraft.

Note: SS means this is a merchant ship so you will not find it in "Jane's Fighting Ships". I have found an entry where SS Empire Morn joined a convoy doing 10 knots.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 999
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 3/14/2009 7:17:19 PM   
Froonp

For anyone interested in adding details to the ships writeups, there is this new resource about WW2 Carriers :
http://wp.scn.ru/en/carriers

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 1000
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/10/2009 12:48:50 AM   
warspite1

MORE HELP PLEASE

DOES ANYONE KNOW ANY AUSTRALIAN TRANSPORT SHIPS USED IN WORLD WAR II - NOT AMPHIBIOUS LANDING SHIPS BUT TROOP TRANSPORTS PLEASE?

THANKS

WARSPITE1

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 1001
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/10/2009 1:25:50 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Warspite has been doing a ton of work on the naval units. Here are two of his more recent writeups.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1002
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/10/2009 1:27:17 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Page 2 of 2.

By the way, Robert's writeups on the combat ships are more detailed than these.

Attachment (1)

Steve

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 1003
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/10/2009 7:37:09 AM   
warspite1

Steve

For some reason the T in M.O.W.T has not come out and there is just a blank space where it should be. Any ideas why?

Rgds

Rob

Post #: 1004
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/10/2009 9:45:22 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Steve

For some reason the T in M.O.W.T has not come out and there is just a blank space where it should be. Any ideas why?

Rgds

Rob

.T is a formating command.

Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1005
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/10/2009 10:46:43 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

Warspite has been doing a ton of work on the naval units. Here are two of his more recent writeups.

Rather than describing Polish ships in the writeup of the CW TRS, why not put this for the Polish CP writeup, and have something about CW shipping instead ?

quote:

quote:

Steve

Rgds

Rob

Maybe write MOWT insteat of M.O.W.T

Post #: 1006
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/10/2009 12:04:44 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

Rather than describing Polish ships in the writeup of the CW TRS, why not put this for the Polish CP writeup, and have something about CW shipping instead ?

Warspite 1

The reasons are numerous:

a) I was told we were not writing up CP points. I asked this question on the forum last year and it was confirmed that CP counters were not being written up.
b) In WIF terms, these Polish ships were used in the TRS role and so TRS is the right place for them. As I say in the write up, there is no Polish TRS. These ships were effectively under the control of the British in terms of their use and so being within a CW counter is not wrong.
c) There are sufficient CW counters to ensure plenty is written about CW TRS (I still need an Australian example though so PLEASE help someone).
d) I feel there were a sufficient number of these Polish vessels to warrant their inclusion in a CW counter.
e) As an Englishman, I am very aware of the contribution of the Polish men and women during WWII - mostly fighting within the RAF, British Army, RN or Merchant Navy. Recognising this in this way is something I am delighted to do.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 1007
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/10/2009 12:25:52 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Steve

Rgds

Rob

Steve / Andy

I don`t know what is involved for you guys to get the content onto the counter. Would it be a pain to re-submit each affected counter again with MOWT instead of M.O.W.T to avoid the formatting error?

Post #: 1008
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/10/2009 5:46:34 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

quote:

Steve

Rgds

Rob

Steve / Andy

I don`t know what is involved for you guys to get the content onto the counter. Would it be a pain to re-submit each affected counter again with MOWT instead of M.O.W.T to avoid the formatting error?

There is no need for you to do this counter by counter. Andy can do a single global search and replace in the master file (~1 minute).

Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1009
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/10/2009 6:13:22 PM   
warspite1

Wunderbar!! thank-you

Post #: 1010
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/10/2009 6:54:47 PM   
Froonp

quote:

a) I was told we were not writing up CP points. I asked this question on the forum last year and it was confirmed that CP counters were not being written up.

Yes, but why not make exceptions for interesting cases.

quote:

b) In WIF terms, these Polish ships were used in the TRS role and so TRS is the right place for them. As I say in the write up, there is no Polish TRS. These ships were effectively under the control of the British in terms of their use and so being within a CW counter is not wrong.

Maybe add a few things about others then. As it is now, it is only about Poles.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1011
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/10/2009 7:16:58 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

I have almost 250 naval counters to write about - if anyone wants to be responsible for CP counters - please be my guest.

If I read your second comment right, are you under the assumption that there is only one write up for all TRS counters? If so then this is not the case. Each counter has a separate write up. There are 14 British, 1 Canadian and 1 Australian TRS counter. I have used one of the 14 British counters as a tribute to the Polish. The other 13 CW counters contain stories about the following ships that were used in a TRS role (either troops or equipment): Aquitania (troop convoys from Australia), Lancastria (evacuation from western France of the second BEF), Laconia (her sinking while carrying thousands of talian POW`s), Franconia (evacuation from Norway), HMS Athene (aircraft transportation), Empire Star (evacuation from Singapore), Pennland (evacuation from Greece), Khedive Ismail (tragic sinking after which hundreds of survivors were depth charged by their own side) , Monarch of Bermuda (typical WS convoy), Clan Fraser (transport of troops to Greece), Strathaird (Australian - Middle East convoy), Empire Song (Tiger Convoy) and Queen Mary / Queen Elizabeth (general history).

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 1012
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/10/2009 8:47:21 PM   
Zorachus99

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

I have almost 250 naval counters to write about - if anyone wants to be responsible for CP counters - please be my guest.

If I read your second comment right, are you under the assumption that there is only one write up for all TRS counters? If so then this is not the case. Each counter has a separate write up. There are 14 British, 1 Canadian and 1 Australian TRS counter. I have used one of the 14 British counters as a tribute to the Polish. The other 13 CW counters contain stories about the following ships that were used in a TRS role (either troops or equipment): Aquitania (troop convoys from Australia), Lancastria (evacuation from western France of the second BEF), Laconia (her sinking while carrying thousands of talian POW`s), Franconia (evacuation from Norway), HMS Athene (aircraft transportation), Empire Star (evacuation from Singapore), Pennland (evacuation from Greece), Khedive Ismail (tragic sinking after which hundreds of survivors were depth charged by their own side) , Monarch of Bermuda (typical WS convoy), Clan Fraser (transport of troops to Greece), Strathaird (Australian - Middle East convoy), Empire Song (Tiger Convoy) and Queen Mary / Queen Elizabeth (general history).

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1013
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/10/2009 8:53:41 PM   
Froonp

quote:

Yes, you're right, I was under the assumption that there is only one write up for all TRS counters.
Sorry for the remark, with 1 writeup per TRS this is fine as is. Congratulations for that work !

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1014
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/11/2009 10:47:31 AM   
Maesphil74

quote:

Page 2 of 2.

By the way, Robert's writeups on the combat ships are more detailed than these.

My native tongue is dutch so I discovered a small typo in this screenshot:
"Konigin Emma" should be "koningin Emma"

Otherwise: if this is the level of detail to be expected: WOW!!
Excellent work!

< Message edited by Fleming -- 5/11/2009 10:48:43 AM >

Phil

Post #: 1015
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/11/2009 8:23:23 PM   
warspite1

[/quote] Warspite1

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

(in reply to Maesphil74)
Post #: 1016
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/11/2009 8:33:29 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Warspite1

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Now, now, ... remember that perfection is an elusive goal.

Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1017
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/15/2009 4:00:28 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I just went through the land unit writeups today and there are still a bunch that are missing. Now these are pure glitz, and have no effect on releasing the game. However, if anyone would like to write a description for the units that currently have a pure blank page, that would be nice. Here is a short summary of what remains:

Minor countries:
Mexico
Panama
Venezuela
Brazil
Bolivia
Chile
Argentina
Portugal
Turkey
Ukraine
Czechoslovakia
Ethiopia

Major powers:
US: a couple dozen units, including all the marine units
Japan: a couple dozen
USSR: a couple dozen
Germany: 4 dozen
France: a half dozen
Italy: 3 dozen
British: 3 dozen

===
I make it to be roughly 300-350 units remaining, which means that we have writeups for 700-750 already done.

Steve

Post #: 1018
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/15/2009 6:31:22 AM   
warspite1

quote:

I just went through the land unit writeups today and there are still a bunch that are missing. Now these are pure glitz, and have no effect on releasing the game. However, if anyone would like to write a description for the units that currently have a pure blank page, that would be nice. Here is a short summary of what remains:

Minor countries:
Mexico
Panama
Venezuela
Brazil
Bolivia
Chile
Argentina
Portugal
Turkey
Ukraine
Czechoslovakia
Ethiopia

Major powers:
British: 3 dozen

===
I make it to be roughly 300-350 units remaining, which means that we have writeups for 700-750 already done.

Warspite1

Steve, as you may recall I began the Canadian, Indian and UK units (with a few exceptions - artillery and generals) before getting the opportunity to do the naval units and getting too immersed in those. If you would prefer someone to do the remaining outstanding CW units then I fully understand. My preference - if you are okay with this - would be for me to return to these units once the CW naval are done. My goal would be to bring the land units up to a higher standard than my first efforts and complete the remaining units to the same format.

Given the timeframe to launch I suspect that would mean the outstanding ones not finished off until after launch and added in a patch. How would you feel about that?

Post #: 1019
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 5/15/2009 6:49:25 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

Minor countries:
Mexico
Panama
Venezuela
Brazil
Bolivia [Done]
Chile
Argentina
Portugal
Turkey
Ukraine
Czechoslovakia
Ethiopia

Major powers:
British: 3 dozen [Warspite1]

===

Warspite1

Steve, as you may recall I began the Canadian, Indian and UK units (with a few exceptions - artillery and generals) before getting the opportunity to do the naval units and getting too immersed in those. If you would prefer someone to do the remaining outstanding CW units then I fully understand. My preference - if you are okay with this - would be for me to return to these units once the CW naval are done. My goal would be to bring the land units up to a higher standard than my first efforts and complete the remaining units to the same format.

Given the timeframe to launch I suspect that would mean the outstanding ones not finished off until after launch and added in a patch. How would you feel about that?

I would prefer if you did the CW units - you do nice work.

Because I have been out of the loop on this for so long, part of the reason I posted this was to elicit: "Hey, I'm doing xxx!" responses.

By the way, I have found the writeup on the Bolivian unit - it had been misnumbered.

EDIT: My revised math gives me ~200 remaining to be assigned (what with the above changes and some others units not listed, but which someone just volunteered to do).

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 5/15/2009 6:51:19 AM >

Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1020
Page:   <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI