Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Allies: Beware Lunga-Tulagi!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Allies: Beware Lunga-Tulagi! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Allies: Beware Lunga-Tulagi! - 5/24/2002 9:35:32 PM   
Preacher

Ah, Lunga...the big tease.

In my current campaign (scen 17 as Allies), I began with the strategy of maintaining PM while quickly seizing and building up Lunga and Tulagi. Spent the whole month of May doing just that. Thousands and thousands of infantry and support troops at Lunga/Tulagi (LT). Airbase at L was shaping up nicely with bombers being able to fly out and wreak havoc at Shortland by late May. Carrier TF parked NE of LT as mobile cover (Zuikaku already sunk, supposedly), just out of reach of Rabaul LBA. Things were good.

Then came June...and a hard lesson learned...

...He who controls the Slot controls the Solomons - and the Slot is a MUCH safer place - in May/June at least - for the IJN. Reasons:

1. Rabaul LBA can reach the length of the Slot, providing overwatch for anything friendly that comes down the Slot - or punishing anything enemy!

1a. Corollary to #1: the IJN CVs can reach out and touch T-L without exposing themselves (makes it incredibly difficult to keep the place supplied/supported!). They simply remain under Rabaul cover. To close within striking range of them is to enter LBA range. No, no, no.

2. In the first stages of the campaign, the IJN is clearly fielding many more capital ships than the Allies. In fact, the first BB for the Allies is not expected until mid-August or later in my game. Several IJN BBs have been spotted already - some engaged (Hiei is sunk, supposedly).

3. The implications of the 3 points above: early in the campaign, the IJN can send MULTIPLE massive heavy ship TFs down the Slot, covered by large CV forces (with all the Slot being covered by Rabaul LBA), and wreak devastation upon T-L. Apart from forming CA-heavy 'suicide' TFs to blunt the assault (or risking the Allied CVs), there isn't a whole lot that the Allies can do at this stage.

I may have to abandon T-L for now and concentrate on New Guinea.

I see why its called Iron Bottom Sound :)

Ricky
Post #: 1
- 5/24/2002 10:26:44 PM   
AlvinS

Preacher

Good info. The slot is a dangerous place if you don't control it.

I mistakenly allowed an Air Combat TF to move just one hex into range of Rabaul. I found out that CVE's make excellent kindling. One bomb went through the deck and hit the ammo storage then BOOOOM.:rolleyes: Torpedos took care of the other one.

Excellent sound effects when the ammo storage goes off. ;) Anyway the fish are enjoying their new reef.

On the plus side I had a surface combat TF sink a Japanese sub with depth charges. That was a satisfying feeling.

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS

(in reply to Preacher)
Post #: 2
- 5/24/2002 10:58:25 PM   
Philbill1

I am playing the same scenario as you with no midway as the allies. I have control of the slot in late july (at least for the time being) with four US CV's. As an Englishman I have to compliment you Americans on producing such beautifull creatures :)
Phil

(in reply to Preacher)
Post #: 3
Good Advice - 5/24/2002 11:11:41 PM   
Capitaine

Sometimes, perhaps a repetition of historical strategy is not the best course. Just off the top of my head, the best reason for taking T/L might not be to enhance your position, but to prevent the Japanese from getting an even stronger LBA platform closer to your main bases. Perhaps "denial" is more important here than benefit? Thoughts on what would happen if Japan secured these bases? :)

(in reply to Preacher)
Post #: 4
- 5/24/2002 11:21:42 PM   
Preacher

I was just thinking about that, Capitaine. Abandoning LT would allow the IJN to reach Luganville and beyond. Yikes!!! Until US heavy ship production catches up (and Wasp and Saratoga arrive - come on!!), trading blood for time in TL may be the way to go.

Sinking another IJN CV or three would help, too :)

So far i've spotted Shokaku, Zuikaku (reported sunk), Akagi, Shoho, Soryu, Hiryu, and one other.

I think I'll stay the course for now and see what comes of it.

Praying for thunderstorms,

Preacher

(in reply to Preacher)
Post #: 5
- 5/24/2002 11:34:23 PM   
dgaad

Acquisition of Guadalcanal was a first step towards isolating Australia. With strong deployment of air groups on Guadalcanal, the Japanese would have been within striking range of Espiritu Santo, Santa Cruz, and Efate, the acquisition of which would have interdicted the US - Australia supply link. With Australia isolated, landings could have been made to secure the northern extremities of that Continent, such as the area between Darwin and Townsville. No one in Japan considered it possible to "conquer" Australia, but this would have in effect neutralized Australia, leaving the only possiblity of offensive action for the Allies, later when the material buildup had been completed, in the Central Pacific between the Marshalls and Midway.

Such a scenario would have created the most favorable conditions for Japan for a carrier fleet engagement in the Central Pacific, given the relatively predictable scope of Allied activity and the fact that any US Offensive would have had to deal with Japanese land based air in addition to carriers, the reverse of Midway for the Japanse.

Its important to note that the first efforts to create an airstrip at Guadalcanal occurred only AFTER the defeat at Midway. This is because the Japanese were now not superior in Carriers (after Midway's loss of 4 fleet carriers), and therefore favorable conditions HAD to be created for Japan to win the next carrier engagement. If the Japanese lost the next carrier engagement, in addition to the massive loss suffered at Midway, they knew they would ultimately lose the war.

So, the IJN thinking was to move immediately to secure the Guadalcanal/Santa Cruz/Efate area, which if successful would create the favorable conditions for a carrier engagement in the Central Pacific. It was very long range thinking, but totally inaccurate with respect to the already significant offensive power of the US South Pacific command, which pre-empted the Japanese move by landing at Guadalcanal just before the airbase was completed, and this thinking was also not backed up by IJN resources sufficent to do the job.

But, it is clear that the landing at Guadalcanal on August 7th was not part of an overall offensive plan by the US to march up the Solomons. It was a pre-emptive move. The buildup of American airpower happened only to protect Guadalcanal, and ultimately did not guarantee surface craft protection in The Slot, only the carriers could do that.

Last time I checked, the forums were messed up. ;)

(in reply to Preacher)
Post #: 6
- 5/24/2002 11:37:24 PM   
dgaad

BTW preacher its time to start heavily mining the Slot and the area around T/L.

(in reply to Preacher)
Post #: 7
from IJN perspective... - 5/24/2002 11:43:08 PM   
brisd

I am still slugging my way through Scenario 17 as the IJN and it is mid Jun 42. I had been concentrating on taking Port Moresby and had set up my LBA in Rabual to do some ground attacks in preparation for my land battle there. I neglected to set a target (still learning) and instead of bombing PM they attacked Lunga! So, the Yanks had put at least one regimental team on that hell hole and my recon spotted a major reinforcement/supply in process. The IJN had recently received its major capital ship reinforcements the week before and I assembled a CA/DD bombardment force for Lunga. with a 4 CV TF in the Soloman Sea to add to the fun.
A night surface action ensued at Lunga and my 4 CA/6 DD TF was at 4000 yds with 2 DD's / 1 SC / 4 AK's. Of course I got the WORST end of the stick. CA Furutaka got hit by a 5" salvo from a scrappy US DD and TWO critical hits occured. These two ships got into a dueling match and the DD took numerous 8" and 4.7" shell hits but the DD kept firing and firing. The Furutaka took more and more critical hits and her sister ships seemed oblivious to the fight (maybe hidden in a rain squall?). I don't have the exact battle results as this was played late last night, but it appears the USN lost no ships in this encounter, the valiant US DD obviously is heavily damaged, the other US DD only a single hit. One other IJN CA suffered a minor hit or two. The IJN bombardment TF attacked at least three other unprotected USN AK TF's in the hex in subsequent battles that night, sinking 6 or more. As the morning came, the unlucky Furutaka sank in Iron Bottom Sound, its first victim.
Upon hearing of the first major loss to our forces, Adm Yamiguchi launched massive air strikes against all shipping in the area, bagging at least 6 more AK/AP's. And to top off this memorable turn, the brave solders assaulting Port Moresby CAPTURED it. :D

(in reply to Preacher)
Post #: 8
- 5/24/2002 11:43:18 PM   
Preacher

You are right, dgaad. One thing I have neglected so far, to my shame, is my minelaying operations. That changes tonight! :)

Preacher

(in reply to Preacher)
Post #: 9
- 5/24/2002 11:52:56 PM   
dgaad

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Preacher
[B]You are right, dgaad. One thing I have neglected so far, to my shame, is my minelaying operations. That changes tonight! :)

Preacher [/B][/QUOTE]

If you have DM ships, they can lay large numbers of mines. Subs can only lay 8 mines apiece.

(in reply to Preacher)
Post #: 10
- 5/24/2002 11:56:51 PM   
Preacher

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dgaad
[B]

If you have DM ships, they can lay large numbers of mines. Subs can only lay 8 mines apiece. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks. I have plenty of DMs. Problem will be getting them in there safely :confused:

However, I think I MAY have temporarily cleared the Slot. I did enough damage - reportedly - with the recent surface action and carrier battle that i *think* they are retiring toward Truk for repair/replenishment. Probably the window of time I need to get the DMs in and out.

Thanks,

Preacher

(in reply to Preacher)
Post #: 11
Guadalcanal - 5/25/2002 12:08:44 AM   
Rob Roberson

In my campaign I intentionally allowed the Japanese to build up Lunga Tulagi. I am playing it off as the area being unimportant, but frankly I have long been curious to see what would happen if the Japanese had completed their fighter strip thereand the americans did move in and seize it, so I let them. So far they haven't done much with it (in game) but Im sure they will in time.

(in reply to Preacher)
Post #: 12
- 5/25/2002 12:11:44 AM   
dgaad

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Preacher
[B]

Thanks. I have plenty of DMs. Problem will be getting them in there safely :confused:

However, I think I MAY have temporarily cleared the Slot. I did enough damage - reportedly - with the recent surface action and carrier battle that i *think* they are retiring toward Truk for repair/replenishment. Probably the window of time I need to get the DMs in and out.

Thanks,

Preacher [/B][/QUOTE]

I use a staged approach with DMS under heavy weather. I like to get them within 5-7 hexes of the target hex, then set to retirement allowed and go for it. Oblique approaches work well for me. Don't try this at home, your results may vary. Consult a doctor if irritation or inflamation develops. This advice for topical use only. Induce vomiting if swallowed.

(in reply to Preacher)
Post #: 13
Why the US Needs Lunga - 5/25/2002 12:13:21 AM   
IChristie

When the serious US LBA starts arriving in fall '42 you will find out why you really want to hold on to Lunga. It's the only base between Rabaul and Luganville that can "nominally" support multi-engined bombers. There are other locations that can be built to size 4 but none that support that size under normal conditions (not even Shortland).

Once the tide of Marauders, Mitchell's and Fortresses start arriving you can quickly turn the tide in the slot... but only if you have a base for them. With enough bombers on Lunga you can close the port and airfield on Shortland very quickly. I believe B-17's can reach Rabaul in normal range (which they need either Gili Gili or Buna to do from New Guinea).

Also, once you have a decent carrier force assembled it also allows you to play "rope a dope" with the IJN carriers. Let them come in range of Lunga and beat up the airbase (which you will have defended well with AAA). They can shoot down all the planes they want, you just transfer more in (BTW, openning the airbase at the northern tip of the New Hebrides - the name escapes me right now - is necessary to provide a base from which fighters can stage into Lunga in one turn).

When you have bled off their bombers with flak and their fighters with LBA strikes, then sortie the CV's and deliver the knockout punch. The weakest point of the Japanese carriers is their air groups - they don't replace quickly and when they do the pilots are much lower quality.

On the other hand if you lose Lunga you will be force to try and invade, supply and retake it without the benefit of any significant LBA support (unless you build another airbase first). This negates the primary advantage of the allied side - massive superiority in LBA.

For my money, it is not difficult to see why Lunga was (and is) one of the strategically dominant bases in the area.

Iain Christie
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"

- James Keelaghan

(in reply to Preacher)
Post #: 14
Re: Guadalcanal - 5/25/2002 12:18:13 AM   
Preacher

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rob Roberson
[B]In my campaign I intentionally allowed the Japanese to build up Lunga Tulagi. I am playing it off as the area being unimportant, but frankly I have long been curious to see what would happen if the Japanese had completed their fighter strip thereand the americans did move in and seize it, so I let them. So far they haven't done much with it (in game) but Im sure they will in time. [/B][/QUOTE]

How far along are you in your campaign? Better yet, how developed is Luganville and Elaf Vila ??? (the one SE of Luganville). I've found that they won't waste resources on bases until they become a 'real' threat. Maybe they'll start pummeling you after their search a/c bring back word that those bases are becoming significant.

Just a guess. I know that they didn't really bother with my Lunga base until the airstrip reached level 2. Of course, that could have been because they didn't yet have the assets they needed in theater.

Keep it coming. This is a most interesting discussion, imho.

Preacher

(in reply to Preacher)
Post #: 15
Lunga - 5/25/2002 12:18:53 AM   
Von_Frag

I did a pre-emptive stike on Lunga and sent the Americal division there early in the game with support and engineers. I had the airbase built up to 3 and had a squadron of P-39's, 2 of F4F's and 1 of SBD's if I remember. Well, the enemy didn't like this very much and sent huge land forces down to take it. Huge naval and air battles at see ensued. I came out on top of these but not on land. He took Lunga quite easily, I guess a division is not enough.

He sat on Lunga and did nothing with it for almost 2 months. I kept pressure by sending bombardment sorties and LBA from Luganville. I received the 1st marine didvision and moved the 32cnd over from Brisbane. I sent all that up, landed and took Lunga back in 3 days fighting. He didn't send much in the way of surface forces because I've really hurt him there. But my oh my what a flight of Betty's and Nell's can do to a transport fleet. :( I paid dearly for the privilidge of owning this malaria infested island.

Oh btw, I mined the crap out of the hexes around Lunga and Tassaforonga (sp?) and had the satisfaction of seeing BB Mutsu hit 4 Mk16 mines in his only surface attempt to interfere with the landings with surface forces.

Frag

(in reply to Preacher)
Post #: 16
Re: Why the US Needs Lunga - 5/25/2002 12:25:03 AM   
Preacher

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IChristie
[B](BTW, openning the airbase at the northern tip of the New Hebrides - the name escapes me right now - is necessary to provide a base from which fighters can stage into Lunga in one turn). [/B][/QUOTE]

I've been getting fighters into Lunga the hard way. At this point they have only been appearing at Brisbane, which is too far away from any of the SOPAC bases to 'hop' across to Lunga (they'll only go to bases up the Aussie coast, then on to PM, but still can't hop across to the Solomons). So, I've been using the CVE Long Island as a ferry. I load her up with a/c, steam toward Luganville, then transfer them to Lunga when in range.

I'll get to work on the New Hebrides base, though, for when I start getting FS in at Noumea.

Oh, another way to get fighters in at Lunga: launch a massive carrier strike from nearby, then get your own CVs beat up to the point that the strikes can't return. The naval a/c will then divert to the closest base - being Lunga, of course. Works like a charm :(

Preacher

(in reply to Preacher)
Post #: 17
- 5/25/2002 12:34:25 AM   
Diealtekoenig

I have noticed the opposite problem. I.e. the AI is unable to support its advanced bases without horrible losses.

Playing the long campaign/no Midway as the Allies I have seen the IJN grab several bases (Lunga and Gili-Gili) then get their forces shredded as the IJN try to keep these supplied.

By 8/20/42 I have sunk over 40 AP (I think that's about 1/3 of all the Japanese get for the entire game). I haven't sunk any CV but I have so shredded the Japanese CV Airgroups the Carriers are worthless. The Japanese AI has bases so far forward anything going near them gets sunk or shot down.

A lesson here may be not to advance too far.

(in reply to Preacher)
Post #: 18
- 5/25/2002 12:42:13 AM   
Preacher

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Diealtekoenig
[B]A lesson here may be not to advance too far. [/B][/QUOTE]

Could it be that in the race for Lunga, the first to arrive loses?

Of course, each time through the campaign plays out differently, but I think you may be onto something here. It seems those that have had the most success have 'allowed' the IJN to take Lunga and then punished them for it. The rest of us have been punished for taking it - and those that held it have paid dearly.

My fear is letting the IJN have Lunga and then being unable to blockade it sufficently. THAT would be problematic. Imagine Rabaul-like LBA flying out of Lunga! Sheesh.

Methinks that a human IJN opponent could really make hay with Lunga.

I love this game.

Preacher

(in reply to Preacher)
Post #: 19
long drone... - 5/25/2002 1:15:52 AM   
johnmac

I've found that building a base on Rossel Island (which will go up to size 4) lets you pound Shortland and the slot into pulp using medium bombers.

I let the Japanese have Lunga - it's literally their funeral. I built bases on Rossel Island, Nevea and San Cristobal and then bombed APs galore.

It's April 43 in my #17 campaign. One thing that's slightly annoying is that because my score is pretty good, CINCPAC will not release any of my carriers from the body and fender shop in Pearl, so I'm down to Essex in theatre :(

Compliments to the computer, though I did get my comeuppance this evening - I invaded Shortland, and woah, there were 27,000 fanatical combat troops on there, who promptly annhilated the 1st Marines...

I believe that it's a mistake to try and grab either Lae or Lunga too early as the Allies, especially in #17. The Japanese get healthy reinforcements in July and August, and I think it's an unnecessary waste of troops to try and go too early. I took Lunga in February 1943, and most of New Guinea in March.

(in reply to Preacher)
Post #: 20
- 5/25/2002 1:26:42 AM   
IChristie

[QUOTE]Compliments to the computer, though I did get my comeuppance this evening - I invaded Shortland, and woah, there were 27,000 fanatical combat troops on there, who promptly annhilated the 1st Marines... [/QUOTE]

Been there, done that, except it was 80,000 the time I tried it! Wiped 'em out as they got off the ships. :rolleyes:

I'll be very interested to see some posts from those who have gotten past the Buna-Lae-Lunga barrier and into Operation Cartwheel territory. It strikes me that palatable options for continued advance decrease sharply at this point...

Iain Christie
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"

- James Keelaghan

(in reply to Preacher)
Post #: 21
- 5/25/2002 1:28:09 AM   
Hartmann

Several interesting points made in this thread. :) As Japan, I say, don't hesitate to take Lunga and Tulagi quickly, even if you really want to concentrate on PM. A minimum of forces will do in the beginning.
I did so successfully (even though I'm three carriers short, and also lost CA's to the infamous "courageous lone destroyer" phenomenon.)

But building up the airbase at Lunga and denying it to the enemy is worth it. Mining of the area is vital, too. The US navy often tries to shell the Island at night, and they equally often hit mines. When I got my huge supply of heavies and additional carriers in June 42, I successfully set up an ambush at Lunga. Place your superior surface fleet somewhat to the NE of Lunga and set on "patrol"-"react"). They will then intercept the nightly attacks. This strategy lead to my first really satisfactory sea battle in the game with a huge bunch of Amerikan combat vessels lying asleep in Iron Bottom Sound now. :) All this did not detract too much resources for the PM operation (which is still under way).

Hartmann

(in reply to Preacher)
Post #: 22
- 5/25/2002 1:56:57 AM   
Didz

Well I let the IJN have Lunga and Tulagi. But I am making them pay heavily for every day they keep it.

Lunga is an almost permanent hunting ground for at least one of my sub patrols the biggest problem being to keep up with the rate of torpedo usage, plus whenever I know the enemy CV's are off base near New Guinea I send a CV sorties up to Santa Cruz and give a couple of convoys a good pasting.

So far the Japs seem to have infantry ashore but not much else. no sign of aircraft or airfields yet. Meanwhile I now have 4 x CV's and a squadron of B17's at Lunganville ready to add to their troubles.

I am hoping by the time Lunga and Tulagi get developed enough to be a problem I will have the strength to deal with them.

(in reply to Preacher)
Post #: 23
- 5/25/2002 2:21:54 AM   
Fuchida

I am also having fun with Lunga in scen 17. The Japanese took it first but I managed to kick them off with the entire Americal division. Fortunately the Japanese carriers were in the Bismarck sea when I invaded as they were dealing with my recent landing which captured Lae with the Australian 7th Division. By the time the Jap carriers got back to the Solomons, my own carriers had left but every last Jap on Guadalcanal had been wiped out.

The Japs then proceeded to blast the crap out of Lunga with carrier air. Here is a snippet from my AAR which covers the fighting around Guadalcanal

15th June 1942
With the arrival of the Enterprise, there are now four fleet carriers, five heavy cruisers, two light cruisers and a large number of destroyers at Noumea, not to mention an ever increasing array of transports. It is time to give the Japanese carriers something to think about. Two carrier task forces are created. TF218 contains the Enterprise and the Hornet, three cruisers and seven destroyers and is commanded by Rear Admiral Spruance. TF219 comprises the Lexington and the Yorktown, three cruisers and seven destroyers and is commanded by Rear Admiral Montgomery. A fleet of six troop transports and four destroyers will carry a coastal defence battery, an armoured battalion and additional supplies to Lunga. A fleet of two transports and two destroyers will pick up an engineer battalion which is upgrading one of New Caledonia's airbases and transport that to Lunga to begin work on a new airbase.

Eleven Hudsons, twenty-three Mitchells and forty-three Marauders from Lae raid the port at Rabaul. The combat air patrol shoots down three bombers for the loss of four Zeroes. Assuming the pilot's reports are correct, the bombers sink a minesweeper, a gunboat and a collier and seriously damage another minesweeper and two gunboats.

The Japanese carriers move down the Slot again and a massive air-strike from over a hundred carrier-based bombers wreaks havoc at Lunga. Over six hundred men are killed. Despite the raids, three fast transports sneak into Lunga harbour and unload supplies.

16th June 1942
TF205 arrives at Gili-Gili and begins unloading elements of the 3rd Australian Division. Japanese land-based bombers from Rabaul launch two strikes against the task force and torpedo the destroyer Walke. The Japanese carriers launch another large raid on Lunga. The defenders are being severely pounded.

17th June 1942
Another hundred bomber raid on Lunga. Five hundred men are killed. If this continues much longer there will be nothing left of the Americal Division. Fifty allied bombers raid Rabaul, damaging four ships in the port.

18th June 1942
A small detachment of Australian troops from the 7th Division captures the small Saidor airbase sixty miles north of Lae.

20th June 1942
TF218 and TF219 move up the eastern coast of Malaita and detect a strong Japanese force approaching Guadalcanal. Although our intelligence suggested the Japanese had four carriers in the area, one of which was estimated to be Shoho, a light carrier, they in fact turn out to have four fleet carriers, two light carriers and two battleships plus a large number of cruisers and destroyers. The enemy carriers are identified as the Shokaku, Zuikaku, Kaga, Junyo, Shoho and Ryujo and the battleships as the Kongo and Kirishima. Enemy scout planes spot the allied task forces and a massive carrier versus carrier battle breaks out.

Over the course of the daylight hours, a large number of raids are launched by both sides. However, the combat air patrols seem to win the day. We lose a hundred and twelve aircraft in attacks on the enemy fleet and our pilots only report four bomb hits. Two on the Zuikaku and one each on the Junyo and Shoho. None of these hits are confirmed and given the sometimes optimistic reports of our pilots, we must assume the enemy has suffered little damage. Fortunately, the enemy raids were met with our own combat air patrol and our flak gunners and fighter pilots are claiming almost one hundred and thirty kills, almost certainly a large over-estimate. Enterprise took one bomb hit with minor damage but otherwise our ships survived unscathed.

The carriers being moving southwards to the gap between Malaita and San Cristobal, trying to throw off the enemy search planes while providing cover for the approaching transport convoy which is bringing additional troops and supplies to Lunga.

21st June 1942
The submarine S-38 reports torpedoing a Japanese carrier, possibly the Zuikaku.

The main Japanese force retreats along the Slot then moves north between Santa Isabel and Choiseul. They launch a new raid from three hundred miles away, well beyond the range of any of our own carrier based aircraft. Fortunately, none of our ships take any hits. We will have to proceed with the utmost caution against the enemy carriers, either remaining well out of the range of enemy aircraft or charging into the range of our own aircraft.

Our carrier task forces move south to Rennell Island, from where they can provide air cover for Lunga without risking further enemy air attack.

22nd June 1942
The enemy carriers and their escorts disappear northwards without further incident. TF222 arrives at Lunga and begins unloading a few extra troops plus additional supplies. The allied carriers remain near Rennell Island to cover the resupply operation.

23rd June 1942
Two Japanese heavy cruisers, the Mogami and the Chokai, sneak down the Slot at night and suddenly appear among the transports unloading at Lunga. Four destroyers put up a brave fight but they are outgunned. The destroyer Alwin and the troop transport Crescent City are sunk and the Troop transport President Polk is heavily damaged. The destroyers' estimate they scored several hits on both cruisers with their five inch guns. The cruisers are well gone before daylight. To prevent this from happening again, a force of cruisers and destroyers detached from the carrier task forces is sent to Lunga to protect the convoy while it completes unloading.

The submarine SS-43 reports that she has torpedoed the carrier Zuikaku south of Truk. If all the damage reports are true, Zuikaku should be out of commission for quite a while.

The Japs launch a land-based air raid on Lunga but Wildcats from the US carriers intercept the strike and shoot down several Zeroes and Bettys.

The Japanese troops which retreated from Nazdab when it was captured by the 21st Australian Brigade are in a small enclave on the coast of New Guinea south of Lae. Over the last few days, small Jap transports have been running either supplies or extra troops to this force. Airacobras from Buna have been sinking a few of the small transports but the majority are getting through. As usual the level bombers at Lae seem reluctant to engage enemy naval vessels.

24th June 1942
Nine B17s raid Shortland harbour, damaging three troop transports. Sixty medium bombers from Lae and Port Moresby bomb enemy troops in the Admiralty Islands.

More transports arrive at Lunga and unload troops and supplies under the cover of heavy thunderstorms. The cruiser/destroyer task force is guarding the approaches to the harbour but there is no repeat of yesterday's cruiser raid.

25th June 1942
A Japanese sub launches two unsuccessful attacks on the destroyer screen of the Enterprise. The screen is unable to pin down the location of the sub. The carriers move away from the area but stay within long cap range of Lunga.

Airacobras from Lae and Buna continue to bomb and strafe small transports trying to supply and reinforce the small Japanese land force on New Guinea. Several transports are sunk. It is time this annoying Japanese ground force was eliminated. The 21st Australian Infantry Brigade, which captured Nazdab, is ordered to move south and attack the Japanese forces. This will require a trek through hostile jungle and it will be at least a week before any attack can be launched.

More allied bombing raids are launched against the Admiralty Islands and the Shortland Islands. All allied bombers in Lae and Port Moresby are now ordered to concentrate on the Japanese pocket south of Lae in order to soften it up before the Australian troops arrive.

26th June 1942
The Japanese use the cover of night and heavy thunderstorms to try and launch another bombardment raid on the base at Lunga. This time however, instead of two heavy cruisers they send the battleships Kirishima and Kongo, escorted by four destroyers. The defending force of four heavy cruisers, two light cruisers and four destroyers spots them at five thousand yards, virtually point blank, and a brutal, close range battle ensues. The heavy cruiser Chester is sunk. The heavy cruisers Portland and Minneapolis and the light cruiser Honolulu are severely damaged. Three other ships suffer light damage. The Japanese battleships are pounded by a mixture of eight inch, six inch and five inch shells plus torpedoes from the destroyers. Both suffer more than thirty hits each and their blazing hulks sink off the coast of Guadalcanal. Three enemy destroyers join them on the bottom. Only the destroyer Fubuki lives to tell the tale. Despite the heavy loss of life on our side, this must be regarded as a famous victory.

Portland and Minneapolis and Honolulu are in no condition to retreat to Noumea so they are ordered to dock at Lunga. They will have to brave enemy air raids until their can be repaired sufficient to risk the trip to a major port. The destroyer Balch is ordered home to Noumea for repairs. The heavy cruiser Vincennes, which performed superbly during the battle, slamming a hail of eight inch shells into Kongo, is ordered to maintain the patrol off Lunga. She is accompanied by the light cruiser Nashville and three destroyers.

(in reply to Preacher)
Post #: 24
My Lunga Experience - 5/25/2002 5:57:39 AM   
von Murrin

In my current game, the Japs took Lunga early. They fully built it (6 air, 3 port), and dropped 5 engineer units, 4(!) CD batteries, and 2 infantry brigades there to defend the new Betty base.

My response was to build a base on Irau (ESE tip of San Cristobal) to max size, and staff it with fighters. By this time I had received both BB's and began regular runs from Irau to Lunga to pop the transports there.

After about a month of that, I had an invasion fleet ready. My BB's were sent in night after night in relays to pound the airfield into the sea, and never got hit in return by the LBA (I have 178 fighters at Irau). Well, I landed 4 divisions (1st and 2nd Marine, 43rd, and Americal), 2 Seabee, and 2 base force units, 30k supplies, and 40k+ fuel at Taivu. I moved my 4CV's to Irau at this time.

The IJN tried to interfere once with a 4CA 1CL 4DD Surface Combat TF, and promptly got pounded beneath the waves. Because my CV's were at Irau, I nearly wiped out that TF. I was able to march to Lunga and begin a seige, while my Seabees built Taivu to max size.

Well, right now Lunga is shut down, and the Japs have lost 3-5 transports and 4-10 barges a day for the past 10 days in a desparate attempt to reenforce Lunga. I also ground up another SC TF. During this whole period, I've lost maybe 7AP's and a few DD's.

I'd have to say that the key to holding Lunga is all in not letting the other side build advance bases in the area. Irau is particularly well suited for this as it's out of range of Rabaul but just within normal F4 range of Lunga. It's also well within range of SBD's. My invasion force at Taivu routinely had in excess of 150 F4's and P38's on long range CAP, and I decimated the Japanese LBA; so much so that they haven't launched an attack anywhere for 2 1/2 weeks. Lunga is about to fall, and I've essentially won.

johnmac and Iain,

Did you guys recon the base before you invaded? I took the recon P38's from Oz and sent them to Irau for a week. The reason I sent 4 divisions to Taivu was that I knew [I]exactly[/I] what was at Lunga. All in all, I estimated that there were something like 32k troops defending Lunga, and when I got there there were something like 28k (the infantry had been withdrawn while the troops were on the way). Had I not done this, I likely would have been chewed up on the landings by the CD batteries.

EDIT: Another point in favor of Irau is that the BB's can make Lunga and back in one night on bombardment. Same for protective SC TF's going in to counter-intercept the anti-invasion SC TF's.

I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!

(in reply to Preacher)
Post #: 25
- 5/25/2002 1:57:21 PM   
Sultanofsham

In the camp im playing as allied ( scen. 16 ) I took Lunga as fast as I could. PM was getting pounded and while I was worried that it would fall (not sure if the AI is programed to make a grab at it) looking at my ship availability I saw that I would get the Sara, Enterprise, Wasp within a period of two weeks of each other. I was building up Luganville with aircraft, supplies, and fuel (makes a great fueling base for SC TFs guarding Lunga).

The Japs took Gilla. A few days later I had all 3 carriers, a SC TF built around the Washington, and 3 transport TFs leave port and head to Lunga. With all TFs keeping in the same hex and having spotted the Jap carriers over by PM I set all fighters to LRCAP and invaded Lunga. The 90 some fighters ate the LBA from Rabal and the shortlands alive with the loss of a destroyer and after 2 days they were useless. After the second day the base was mine and I flew in as many fighters as I could setting them to LRCAP. I picked up 3 Carriers heading towards me so I ordered all TFs to head east out of the combat zone and waited with my carriers on react. My carriers moved 2 hexes west (still covered by Lunga's LRCAP, my 3 fighter groups had been changed to 70% cap) and battle was joined at a range of 4 hexes. I chewed up his strikes (total cap was over 100 ac) and the AI must have drawn the short end for availability since all he had was 2 CVLs and the CV Junyo. Junyo and a CVL went to the bottom and not one of my ships was hit.

After that I took back Gilla before the end of august, took Lae (same style as before but with 4 carriers) in October and should take the shortlands by the end of november. If an allied player holds PM and Lunga in strength then there isnt much the AI can do except be pounded day after day by heavy bombers (got to love port attacks when there are ships parked there) while each base puts up more than 100 fighters in cap each day to chew up whatever Rabal sends out.

Personally I think the best thing for an allied player is to take Lunga asap. Every day you dont it gets stronger and its much harder to deal with than Port Morsby or Gilla in Jap hands since those to sit so close to Australia.

(in reply to Preacher)
Post #: 26
- 5/26/2002 2:47:41 AM   
von Murrin

Nice to see that I'm not the only one using LRCAP extensively. :)

I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!

(in reply to Preacher)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Allies: Beware Lunga-Tulagi! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI