Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T182

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T182 Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T182 - 4/20/2009 3:38:18 AM   
larryfulkerson

I can't stand the suspense anymore....I just gotta attack Curt's forces. He's at the end of his supply line, his troops are tired from hot footing it across Russia and he's not got much arty to support them. He's coming at me piecemeal and a little at a time and I have more chance of defeating them a little at a time than I do all at once. He's moved them close enough for me to strike them within one movement turn and it's just too good to turn down this time. Here's me moving into position to attack on the northeast end of the front lines:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 691
RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T182 - 4/20/2009 6:07:58 AM   
Da_Huge_D

Thats nice counter-offensive!
"Attack is best defence"

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 692
RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T182 - 4/20/2009 6:21:08 AM   
Silvanski

I imagine that the Wehrmacht wouldn't be able to sustain a trench-style battle of attrition against the Red Bear.

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to Da_Huge_D)
Post #: 693
RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T182 - 4/20/2009 10:14:33 PM   
desert

This might be overly optimistic, but would there be any chance of destroying his entire army in one fell swoop by launching a sudden, massive offensive once the majority of his forces have arrived?

"I would rather he had given me one more division"
- Rommel, when Hitler made him a Field Marshall

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 694
RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T182 - 4/21/2009 6:57:10 AM   
SMK-at-work

can't imagine so - the Sov just slows down the rest of his advance - he gets such massive replacements that there's no chance of destroying his army any more.

(in reply to desert)
Post #: 695
RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T184 - 4/22/2009 12:42:00 PM   
larryfulkerson

Yeah, what he said.  There's going to be a spring mud pause in about turn 186 for about 9 turns.  I suspect that Curt is going to use that time to move what forces he can toward the fighting and even if by some miracle I am able to defeat all those units he has already moved up to the fighting area, there's still about 50+ units still in Lapland and near Murmansk and out in the east mopping up the last of the German remnants that I cannot reach and can't destroy.  He's amassed enough replacement rifle squads to replace whatever I destroy and by the late-fall
early-winter '43 time period he would have his army back ready to move them into positions of attack again.  I'm afraid it's all over but the shouting for the Axis.  This game will be over by early '44 at the latest I'm thinking.

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 696
RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T184 - 4/22/2009 4:29:15 PM   
larryfulkerson

Curt and I are trading shots at each other and some units are being damaged but for the most part not much is being accomplished. I'm not killing Soviet units like I would like and I'm mainly just making my units tired and depleted. So when the mud season starts I'm going to pull back to the other side of the river and just wait for the final assault.

The other thing that happened this turn is Helsinki fell ( turn 183 ) and the Finns surrendered and were removed from the game. So the German units near Murmansk are toast and those Soviet units up there now will shortly be marching south.

It's looking more and more like we're in the end game stage you guys.

Here's the front lines as of the start of turn 184.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 697
RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T184 - 4/22/2009 8:08:50 PM   
Telumar

I don't understand why you are defending along the 1937 border of Germany in the south (along the old czech border). Wouldn't it make more sense to defend a line running from Silesia through Slovakia, down to the Croatian Adriastic Sea? I think the line would be shorter and the terrain is more suitable for defence.

Post #: 698
RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T184 - 4/28/2009 10:49:42 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar
I don't understand why you are defending along the 1937 border of Germany in the south (along the old czech border). Wouldn't it make more sense to defend a line running from Silesia through Slovakia, down to the Croatian Adriastic Sea? I think the line would be shorter and the terrain is more suitable for defence.

I'm all in favor of shorter more defensable lines....so I'll move now during the mud season.

Hey you guys....I got hit by a virus and now I can't get on the web. I took my computer to the shop and they're working on it. I should have it back in about a week. I'm typing this on my mom's laptop and she wants it back so I guess there won't be many updates for about a week. You're not missing much though since it's the mud season and nothing interesting is happening. Stay tuned.

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 699
RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T191 - 5/7/2009 7:50:46 PM   
larryfulkerson

Okay....I got my computer back from the shop....they had to reinstall the OS ( Windows XP Pro SP3 ) and it's better than new. I had them install a new hard drive while they had it open so now I have two identical hard drives in there.

About the game.....we're still in the middle of the mud season and not much is happening. Curt is still moving units to the west and getting into position for his attacks.

Here's the latest on the front lines now:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 700
RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T191 - 5/7/2009 8:00:58 PM   
MarcA

Larry, what is the date in the game?

Post #: 701
RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T191 - 5/9/2009 3:44:32 PM   
larryfulkerson

We're on turn 193 now and that represents 4/25/43.  And I have two years to try to hang onto Berlin.  Wish me luck.

(in reply to MarcA)
Post #: 702
RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T191 - 5/9/2009 4:17:30 PM   
MarcA

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

We're on turn 193 now and that represents 4/25/43.  And I have two years to try to hang onto Berlin.  Wish me luck.

Well, good luck. In April 43 Guderian had just done an amazing job of rebuilding the strength of the Germany Panzer units. Just in time for the Bavarian Corporal to throw it all away at Kursk in July.

P.s. Your AAR's are always a great read

Post #: 703
RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T191 - 5/9/2009 7:56:29 PM   
Da_Huge_D

Nice report so far. Would you post some close up pics from frontline? That seems heavy fortified.

This is going to be interesting.

(in reply to MarcA)
Post #: 704
RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T195 - 5/11/2009 2:25:12 AM   
larryfulkerson

Some close-ups of the Axis front line are in the works. Stay tuned for them. Meanwhile, Curt is busy moving his units westward and into their rough front line positions. We're through the mud season turns and so the war's on again. Curt has just about finished cleaning up the Axis positions in the far east so now he can concentrate on the war near Berlin.

He hasn't any units near any of my southern front lines but I see some Soviet units moving through Romania even as we speak so they should be into position in about 20 turns or so, maybe more depending on the efficiency of my interdiction attacks.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Da_Huge_D)
Post #: 705
RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T195 - 5/11/2009 2:28:03 AM   
larryfulkerson

This is the northwesternmost part of the front lines as they existed at the beginning of turn 195. I thought I'd give you guys a guided tour around the front starting at the 10 0'clock position and going clockwise.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 706
RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T195 - 5/11/2009 2:31:27 AM   
larryfulkerson

The Panzer units you see in this section of the front lines came in handy to clean up a partisan unit near Kaunas last turn. Unfortunately that one attack ended my turn and I hadn't yet set any of my aircraft on their missions so the Soviets got an interdiction free turn. Oh well.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 707
RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T195 - 5/11/2009 2:34:14 AM   
larryfulkerson

This shot is just south of the shot above. Soviet units are visible in this picture. And more of my Panzer units. I pulled back about 95% of the Panzer units from the big escape around turn 180 or so....so I could use them to defend Berlin better. Glad I did that now. Those tanks will come in handy in the turns ahead of us.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 708
RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T195 - 5/11/2009 2:37:30 AM   
larryfulkerson

I suspect that Curt isn't going to attack me unless and until he has all his units in position since any attacks will be more successful if they are executed simultaneously and Curt knows that, shrewd tactician that he is. So I'm guessing we have lots of turns yet where not much will happen except for the moving of Soviet units into their staging areas.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 709
RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T195 - 5/11/2009 2:39:45 AM   
larryfulkerson

It feels really weird to be back at the turn 1 starting positions after two years of fighting but that's war I guess.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 710
RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T195 - 5/11/2009 2:42:29 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the corner of the front lines that I predict will take a huge portion of the brunt of the fighting. Maybe not. I tried to blow most of the major bridges between here and Moscow during the retreat so that the supply situation might not be optimal for the Soviet units.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 711
RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T195 - 5/11/2009 2:44:19 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the southern view of the southeast corner of the front lines.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 712
RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T195 - 5/11/2009 2:45:55 AM   
larryfulkerson

So far there are no Soviet units opposing my southern units. That will change I suspect.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 713
RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T195 - 5/11/2009 2:48:08 AM   
larryfulkerson

Even the southern lines have a Panzer Division or two to bolster the defensive power there.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 714
RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T195 - 5/11/2009 2:51:03 AM   
larryfulkerson

Most of the southern Axis units are at the edge of the mountainous regions. I debated whether or not to place my units IN the mountainous hexes and can't decide whether or not it would be better. The debate is still going on.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 715
RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T195 - 5/11/2009 2:53:09 AM   
larryfulkerson

And finally, here is a view of the units stationed just south of Leipzig. Nothing fancy and still no Soviet units to be seen in this area.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 716
RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T195 - 5/11/2009 4:42:57 AM   
Raindem

Soviet Update, April 1943 -

As Larry had mentioned the mud season is over and we are back on the move.  The few remaining pockets of German troops are putting up a valiant but hopeless resistance.  Meanwhile, the general mass of the soviet army marches westward.  It's a slow process, I don't have near the rolling rail stock needed to accomplish this move in an efficient fashion.

Larry's final defensive positions perplex me.  I really expected him at the last minute to run his line straight down to the Black sea, so I kept the southern wing of my army moving west-southwest.  Now half of my forces are poised to lunge into an empty Balkans.  What I'll have to do now is leave a few scattered formations to cover the ground while the majority wheels northwest to get back to the front.  I'm still deciding where to concentrate my final offensive.  The southern front is enticingly close to Berlin but I'll waste the entire 1943 campaign season to just get into position.  In the end, I'm going to have so many units tripping over each other I don't really have to decide where to attack.  I can attack everywhere.

Trying to move all these units, while staying in supply, while repairing railroads and bridges, while staying on guard for German counterattacks, is a test of one's organizational abilities in this game.  I'm seeing all kinds of things I would do different if I had it over.  You would think that moving hundreds of units over a long distance is a mindless activity but there are surprisingly many things to worry about.  I've decided that instead of gradually building my rail lines westward, I will quickly establish 2 main east-west supply lines.  I will then link them near the front and finally work around the southern edge.  The result is that I'll quickly get full supply to the front while leaving a big mess in the rear which I'll take care of at a later time.

Grab them by the balls. Their hearts and minds will follow.

Post #: 717
RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T195 - 5/11/2009 9:29:33 AM   
Da_Huge_D

Thanks Larry , that was just what i wanted. (Pics)
Looks really heavy line. This is going to be bloodslaughter
Keep it up.

(in reply to Raindem)
Post #: 718
RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T198 - 5/13/2009 6:41:59 AM   
larryfulkerson

So um........we're not doing much yet. Curt is still moving his units into position and stuff...getting ready for his big push I guess. Here's the minimap movie from turns 195 throu 198 showing the Soviet moves east to west etc.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Da_Huge_D)
Post #: 719
RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T201 - 5/16/2009 3:49:58 PM   
larryfulkerson

Curt is still in the process of moving his units to the west and he captured Budapest this turn.  Also he captured Ploesti and that cut my supply by 5 points.  I'm hoping my operation Citadel will restore that 5 points so I won't loose any supply as a result.

Post #: 720
Page:   <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> RE: Curt vs Larry FITE T182 Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI