Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help with Ammunition

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge >> Help with Ammunition Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help with Ammunition - 5/16/2009 3:30:32 AM   
Mack the Knife

howdy, seems this forum is not real active so, hopefully, those that are here will be willing to help. i'm not a military nut but love this game (played JA2 years ago!) and i'm not quite sure about some of the ammunition designations. I know AP is armor piercing but what is OC (9x19 OC) and what is TT (7.62x25 TT)? i'm just starting out so haven't seen all the ammo yet so what others will i see?

also, noticed that AP magazines/rounds have a red band and OC have blue, BUT the 7.62fx54 AP ammo for the SVD sniper rifle is blue banded, not red. any significance to the colors? will i see more later in the game?

thanks for any info on this and would appreciate any additional comments you have about what i'm seeing!
Post #: 1
RE: Help with Ammunition - 5/16/2009 12:13:26 PM   
Hard Sarge

are you using any of the mods ?

but off hand, the OC is Russian for Hollowpoint

not sure/forget about the TT, but from the weapon type, that may be Russian for Short

(Ie, the 9mm, has a cut down round called a .380 to us, 9mm kutz to them, Kutz means short, not sure though)

(in reply to Mack the Knife)
Post #: 2
RE: Help with Ammunition - 5/16/2009 2:29:25 PM   
Reinforce

There's a handgun if I recall that used the TT ammo.

Much Love,
Reinforce

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 3
RE: Help with Ammunition - 5/16/2009 2:48:27 PM   
Hard Sarge

Yes, that is why I think it may be a Short (that set up, is a big Cal, with a short case)

did you ever get your pink Camo perfected

(in reply to Reinforce)
Post #: 4
RE: Help with Ammunition - 5/16/2009 7:51:04 PM   
Mack the Knife

quote:

OC is Russian for Hollowpoint

so basically it just boils down to armor piercing rounds, hollow points, or other. AP is special for getting thru vests and helmets, everything else is just a bullet (round), right?

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 5
RE: Help with Ammunition - 5/17/2009 3:15:23 AM   
Stealth_Hitman

There is a post around here that explains the ammo types. I'm too lazy to check the manual to see if it explains it. I think armor piercing ammo does less damage to non armor units (I think)

Post #: 6
RE: Help with Ammunition - 5/17/2009 11:36:44 AM   
Jams

AP does less damage but can get through better armour. HP does more damage but gets stopped easier by armour.

(in reply to Stealth_Hitman)
Post #: 7
RE: Help with Ammunition - 5/17/2009 7:39:00 PM   
Mack the Knife

quote:

HP does more damage but gets stopped easier by armour.

i have not seen ammo designated HP. are you just referring to hollowpoints in general? have you seen ammo say HP? sarge says they are designated OC (russian for hollowpoint??) i'm trying to understand all this so as to use the right ammo in the right situation.

(in reply to Jams)
Post #: 8
RE: Help with Ammunition - 5/17/2009 7:45:01 PM   
Jams

HP=OC

Post #: 9
RE: Help with Ammunition - 5/17/2009 9:16:17 PM   
Stealth_Hitman

if you want to use it in a certain situation to see its effect on both armored and non armored, quick save then try one type of ammo and then the next when you quick load.

(in reply to Jams)
Post #: 10
RE: Help with Ammunition - 7/1/2009 3:36:36 PM   
Anthropoid

How can you tell which enemies are armored?

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Stealth_Hitman)
Post #: 11
RE: Help with Ammunition - 7/1/2009 4:59:55 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

How can you tell which enemies are armored?

watch for the ones that the bullets bounce off of

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 12
RE: Help with Ammunition - 7/2/2009 1:37:42 PM   
Anthropoid

Aw com'n! If you wear a kevlar vest under a blouse its gonna be all puffed out! You should be able to tell who is armored!  Not being able to tell kinda makes carrying armor piercing around sorta less than optimum.

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 13
RE: Help with Ammunition - 7/2/2009 2:27:59 PM   
Hard Sarge

not really, the Kelvar vests were nice, it was the plate Flak jackets that were bulky

with standard combat uniforms, they would fit under the blouse easily

but, for AP, that is a odd one really, any Military ammo is going to be AP, now, you may have some fancy, Heavy cored ammo, but that is not normal

Merks may have HP or others of that type, but Military wouldn't, against the law and all, besides, if you were found with it, you didn't make to a POW camp

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 14
RE: Help with Ammunition - 7/2/2009 4:05:35 PM   
Anthropoid

HP illegal? I had hollow point 9mm for my Tokarev home defense pistol! Bought it at Walmart!

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 15
RE: Help with Ammunition - 7/3/2009 9:54:48 AM   
Berty

If my grasp of history and such is right; it's dum-dum rounds that are illegal. I think dum-dum's wouldn't just expand, they'd shatter. The international community (Europe) declared that it was a war crime to use them, given how greivous the wounds were.

It'd be cool if you could buy dum-dums in game. I'm sure a mod will be released at some point letting you use mustard gas, phospherous and other nasty things.

Anyway, if JA2 is anything to go by, HP or OC rounds will become obsolete rapidly as even random schmucks you encounter on the map will be heavily armoured from head to toe soon after the first few battles.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 16
RE: Help with Ammunition - 7/3/2009 1:04:02 PM   
Hard Sarge

well, remember HP are hunting rounds, not combat rounds, they are against the law for combat (didn't say it makes sense)

(really, never understood the whole, got to be nice to the person you are trying to kill)

(in reply to Berty)
Post #: 17
RE: Help with Ammunition - 7/3/2009 2:34:56 PM   
Anthropoid

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

well, remember HP are hunting rounds, not combat rounds, they are against the law for combat (didn't say it makes sense)

(really, never understood the whole, got to be nice to the person you are trying to kill)

Superficially, it does seem rather bizarre: you can kill him, just don't wound him badly . . . but then whoever thought that war itself made any sense, eh?

There is at least one other "nasty" type of ammunition right? Uranium depleted rounds or something? Are those only for tanks and such, or do they actually make those for small arms too? What do they call that kind fo ammo for short?

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 18
RE: Help with Ammunition - 7/4/2009 3:38:27 AM   
Mack the Knife

HP (or bullets that expand in the body) were prohibited the the Hague Convention in 1899. NATO nations of today abide by it. the idea is to wound the guy so he can no longer fight you and not to make his death from that wound inevitable by having a HP round tear apart his insides.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 19
RE: Help with Ammunition - 7/4/2009 3:51:13 PM   
Anthropoid

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mack the Knife

HP (or bullets that expand in the body) were prohibited the the Hague Convention in 1899. NATO nations of today abide by it. the idea is to wound the guy so he can no longer fight you and not to make his death from that wound inevitable by having a HP round tear apart his insides.

That is interesting; it had never occurred to me that a philosophy of 'biasing the rules of war toward wounding instead of killing' was a part of the Hague Convention. I can imagine it is true though. I seem to recall that the M-16 5.56mm design is in fact an example of this, a smaller caliber tumbling bullet that is more likely to wound than to kill?

The paradoxical, or at least complex issue is this: wounding instead of killing superficially may seem to be the better option for any given individual, I'm sure any one of us would chose a "wound" over a "death blow." But if you knew you were going to get a "mortal wound" and that you would linger in agony for hours, days or weeks, would you prefer the death blow or the "mortal wound?" Now obviously these matters are always probabilistic, but one could argue that biasing weapons to wound instead of one-shot one-kill is in some sense _less_ humane, even at the individual level.

Not even to mention the group level, and the general societal weal. Quick ends to wars are arguably better (all else being equal) than short ends. If a larger fraction of troops on both sides of a conflict are being wounded and returned to duty, then it could prolong the conflict. If a soldier receieves a wound from which he can recover, and not suffer a notable disability, I would bet that in the average case, he will enthusiastically, if not fanatically return to his comrades and fight even more effectively. Obviously this is not going to be the case in every instance, but I would speculate that it is the case in most. I know if someobody punches me in the face, I'm likely to come back swingin' . . . So in essence, a bias to wound instead of killing could actually worsen and multiply the suffering of war by prolonging it and preventing a quicker end.

Don't mean to open a can of nasty worms here, but it is just fascinating that our strange species actually tries to impose moral or ethical 'rules' of humaneness on what is a fundamentally inhumane, if not immoral or unethical social process.

Post #: 20
RE: Help with Ammunition - 7/4/2009 4:32:07 PM   
Hard Sarge

what is strange now, is how PC war is, for most of time, warriors, gave "Mercy" kills to the enemy, now it is Murder

interesting idea, but I don't think the reason was they wanted war to be about wounding people, but maybe more the fact, that even when you try, you tend to wound more then kill, when you have a fire fight (the basic Idea is still to kill the other guy)

Snipers, one idea depending on there role, is to make kills, but when you want to slow down the enemy, you want to get wounds, a dead solder, you can just leave on the side of the road/path what not, but if you wound someone, bad enough that they can't keep going, you need 2 to 4 guys to carry him to the rear, but Snipers are still trained to aim for the chest, or head

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 21
RE: Help with Ammunition - 7/6/2009 1:37:50 PM   
Anthropoid

I guess if there is one place that is not so bad for the PC patrol to be butting in it is warfare? Maybe eventually they'll make it so wars don't even happen

Like that whole "let the Germans have their little tantrum and it will all be over with . . ." pacifist appeasement thing?

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 22
RE: Help with Ammunition - 7/6/2009 2:30:27 PM   
Hard Sarge

don't think that will happen, but really, they need to pull the "we are there" idea of reporting from combat, people who don't do it, really don't know what it is like, real easy, 1000 miles away, sitting in your chair, to be saying, he shouldn't do that

the Heroes of the last wars, would be murders now

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 23
RE: Help with Ammunition - 7/14/2009 12:13:59 PM   
Berty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

the Heroes of the last wars, would be murders now

I suspect that may be true of many wars throughout history and not a recent phenomenon.

Has anyone noticed any difference in the penetration charecteristics of 7.62x51 (or .54) versus 5.56 AP rounds?

in JA2 the bigger ammo would destroy armour with the first shot and kill with the second, but I haven't had too much play with battle rifles yet.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 24
RE: Help with Ammunition - 7/14/2009 9:18:04 PM   
Anthropoid

Using Foraven's mod, and 1.08 patch, I have played a bit, mostly with 7.62x51 ammo. But in the interest of making optimum use of the weapons I've found, had started equipping my weaker guys with 5.56 rifles. Anecdotally, the 5.56 does seem to cause less damage.

On the whole, I think the lethality of these weapons could stand to be turned up a notch or two. Having to pelter a Guardsman or "perfect" health solder with 5 or 8 shots to kill him just takes away from the 'pretty close to realism' feeling that the game otherwise manages.

(in reply to Berty)
Post #: 25
RE: Help with Ammunition - 7/15/2009 2:44:10 AM   
Mack the Knife

quote:

5 or 8 shots to kill him

think he's wearing kevlar and i'm not using AP rounds...

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 26
RE: Help with Ammunition - 7/15/2009 6:24:22 PM   
hruza

As for illegal bullet types: you may notice that there are and always were some conventions in waging war. These are rules agreed by all sides ...or at last those most important ones. You may see it through whole history of mankind and his war. Good example from before WWII are restrictions on submarine warfare or restriction upon tonnage of ship classes. Modern examples are use of antipersonal mines or cluster bombs. Red cross is another famous kind of this example.

If conflict is limited and local, these rules tend to be respected. However if fight gets more serious, if nations, ideologies and religions find themselves fighting for existence, these rules tend to be drooped. That's what happened during both WWs. You end up having "TOTAL WAR". You will use anything to win ...winners takes all and loosers loose all to.

There is whole article in Clausewitz book of war about it. How and when wars escalate in to total war. One in which all rules are drooped.

If we will find ourselfs in global war again ...and there is no reason to think we will not, you will see cluster bombs, AP mines and all that hardware which is now looked uppon as unhuman and thus forbiden.

Only think which can prevent armies from using some weapon is if they think that if enemy would use them too, it will cause them more harm than to him. Thats why gass was not used in WWII again and why for example Germans did not use "window" (aluminium strips blinding enemy radars) initialy against Brits during night bombing offensive.

< Message edited by hruza -- 7/15/2009 6:27:26 PM >

Post #: 27
RE: Help with Ammunition - 7/15/2009 8:13:40 PM   
Anthropoid

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mack the Knife

quote:

5 or 8 shots to kill him

think he's wearing kevlar and i'm not using AP rounds...

Nope I've got them all equipped with the RED ammos!

Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge >> Help with Ammunition Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI