Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Detailed Land Combat Tips

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> The War Room >> Detailed Land Combat Tips Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Detailed Land Combat Tips - 5/22/2009 7:18:00 AM   
Bonaparte78

I'm trying to learn how to play the right way in the detailed land combat (reading the CoG EE manual, Ralegh's tips about this topic and obviously some precious AAR by Hard Sarge or Terje439) and I would be very pleased to read more about your own tips, hints and personal tactics about how to use cavalry effectively, how to deal with enemy arty and so on...
So feel free to put in this thread any kind of useful tip or hint to help me and all the other beginner players.
Thank you in advance !

< Message edited by Bonaparte78 -- 5/22/2009 7:19:13 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Detailed Land Combat Tips - 5/22/2009 9:37:46 AM   
ptan54

Not an expert, but my 2 cents....

Anchor your flanks on lakes, rough terrain, etc. More difficult in winter when lakes are frozen, but at least you do more damage to anyone on those lake hexes.

Set up your line very carefully, having every gun flanked by an infantry division on either side. Sometimes I run out of infantry (I have lots of guns) so I use cavalry, which is annoying because ideally you want your cav to scout.

If your enemy has lots of arty, probably best to keep your infantry shielded and/or in skirmish. Unless you have lots of cavalry to charge his guns, after which you can tell your infantry to attack. I was Turkey vs Russia once, one of their guns (in a fort, so I couldn't charge it, tried a few times) inflicted 3000 damage to my troops, I just hid my guys behind ridges. Luckily I was the defender, I played like a turtle and he was forced to move forward to attack. Without his guns it was a lot easier. When he moved his guns forward, away from the fort, I finally managed to charge it to disordered.

Perhaps someone can do a running commentary of one of his better battles in a video and post it online, just the important bits about set up and dealing with a superior enemy with lots of guns.

(in reply to Bonaparte78)
Post #: 2
RE: Detailed Land Combat Tips - 5/22/2009 9:59:20 AM   
ShaiHulud

Light Infantry, Jaegers, and Riflemen are quite effective against artillery, particularly if they have a height advantage. Use these to soften up the arty as soon as it comes into range. Since it will have just moved you'll hit it while it has few movement points left and that decreases the damage of its fire. Especially good if you cause heavy damage and use up its 'Fresh' status this way, before it can use a whole turn's movement points for firing. Keep in mind that the AI can do the same to you!

For the most part, I use cavalry to guard my flanks and rear. If I can do so without seriously endangering my cav, I use them to force jaegers, light inf, and rifles into square and use up their movement points reforming every turn. If they're in range of my troops, this also makes it possible to hit them with regular inf fire while taking less damage.

Charging cav against arty with morale of 4 or better usually doesn't bring much success. Charging them from the front is equally poor of result. Best, for me, is a charge from the rear aspect, at night, or in rain, against a previously damaged arty.

Try never to attack a province that has rain. You've never felt frustration until you've tried attacking in 'Flood' conditions!

Post #: 3
RE: Detailed Land Combat Tips - 5/22/2009 5:57:27 PM   
arras

Well, single most decisive element of every combat which nobody seem to mention is MORALE. Side with significantly higher morale usually (if not always) wins. If neither side has decisive numerical superiority.

Units with higher morale do more damage ...which lovers morale of adversary even more ...which in turn cause him to do less end less damage ...and soon he will break.
Units with higher morale also change formation easier which brings usually tactical advantage ...you can comfortably form line while he is forced to remain in column and receive your volleys or risk to fell in to disorder while trying to form line also ...for example.

AI usually does less well tactically than human on battlefield but if it have higher morale advantage, can prove to be be unbeatable. By advantage I mean usually 1-2 points higher morale than you.

(in reply to ShaiHulud)
Post #: 4
RE: Detailed Land Combat Tips - 5/23/2009 6:45:00 AM   
Bonaparte78

Really invaluable tips !
Thank you and keep posting if you want: the more hints the better !

(in reply to arras)
Post #: 5
RE: Detailed Land Combat Tips - 5/25/2009 10:16:37 AM   
arras

This one is more strategical than tactical:

If you are attacked by enemy army of size which you cant handle, try to wear him down by attrition. This works very good against AI which goes straight for your capital. Place your main force out of his way and position some smaller units around his flanks and in to his rear. These units are there to disrupt his depot supply lines not to fight so you can use units with low combat value like militia or irregulars. Also prepare for lengthy siege of your capital. This means to give it maximum garrison, build guns and walls defence in advance, stockpile some money since once your capital is under siege you will receive much less gold. Main is to have as high national morale as possible and maintain it as long as possible so start produce luxuries, vines and spices as much as you can.
Then just wait and look from affair as his numbers shrink.

Once your morale starts to drop dangerously low or you think his numbers are manageable, attack with your main force.

You can use ships to disrupt his depots in sea regions of course.

This can work also against human opponent if you do it carefully. You will probably need few more partisan units in his rear and keep your main force some distance from his since human player can be smart enough to try forcing decisive battle before going for your capital.

Post #: 6
RE: Detailed Land Combat Tips - 5/25/2009 11:06:44 AM   
Bonaparte78

Absolutely BRILLIANT !

(in reply to arras)
Post #: 7
RE: Detailed Land Combat Tips - 5/25/2009 8:02:27 PM   
terje439

Hmm basing your tactics on me might not be the best thing to do, but I thank you for the vote of confidence. I myself learned how to get the hang of things back in FoF by looking at how Hard Sarge amongst others played, and then modified what he did to better suit my style of play.

But that said, I would say that everything mentioned here makes sense. My biggest tip would be to look at how you build your armies/corps. While it might seem very fun to make an entire corps of artillery pieces, that would leave you very vulnerable to enemy cavalery charges. Alot of CAV has its advantages, but IMO they are upset by the lack of firepower.
So I tend to go with the following setup for an army.

Army container:
1st Corps
2nd Corps
5xINF
1xCAV

1st Corps container:
2xARTY
1xCAV
4xINF

2nd Corps container:
2xARTY
1xCAV
4xINF

This gives me a few CAVs to harass enemy artillery, enough INF to form a good defensive line, and enough ARTY to cause massive casualties to any enemy approaching.
I will gladly exchange any INF for a Rifle INF and any CAV with a Lancer. However I never build those units, I only use them if any of my vassals build them for me. Heavy CAV is IMO not worth it, as the one thing I want in a CAV unit is mobility.

Another important thing is upgrades. While it might seem nice to buy attributes to some of your units (and Gil does so in his AAR), I never do so. The reason is really simple. I might spend 10x7 pts to fully upgrade 5 units, or spend the same 70 pts to gain some advantage to all my units. To me the answer is simple, but different ways to play calls for different solutions, so there is no right or wrong.
And I always buy the "Formation Drilling" upgrade first, as nothing can be more of a pain than your units not managing to form a line during combat.

Terje

Post #: 8
RE: Detailed Land Combat Tips - 5/25/2009 10:06:28 PM   
arras

Formation Drilling is first upgrade I go for also. I try to get it as soon as possible, fighting without it is really pain.

My Armies are made of 3 corps + one rifleman/guard for commander.
Each corps is made of 2 infantry, 1 light inf., 1 artillery and 2 standard cavalry.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 9
RE: Detailed Land Combat Tips - 5/27/2009 7:01:49 AM   
Bonaparte78

Great!
Thank you arras and Terje439 !
How about dealing with fortresses  ?

(in reply to arras)
Post #: 10
RE: Detailed Land Combat Tips - 5/27/2009 8:00:27 AM   
arras

Well bring enough troops, some artillery if possible, keep your supply lines secure and be patient. Large garrison and number of gun developments make siege longer while more besieging troops and artillery will reduce time to break defences. There is not much else you can do. If besieging port, try to blockade it from sea else your siege will be less efficient (defender brings supplies and reinforcement through sea).

I was thinking to build siege corps, made of heavy artillery and mortars + some infantry as guards which would be moving after my army but I dont know if mortars and h. artillery are more effective in sieges (which would be logical). Would be nice if somebody knew it.

Post #: 11
RE: Detailed Land Combat Tips - 5/27/2009 11:04:00 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bonaparte78

Great!
Thank you arras and Terje439 !
How about dealing with fortresses  ?

That one is easy. Don't bother (I take it you mean in tactical battle). You should be more than capable to ruin the enemy force without going too near a fortress. If you MUST take out a fortress, attack from three sides, pref 2INF+1ARTY.

Post #: 12
RE: Detailed Land Combat Tips - 5/27/2009 1:00:21 PM   
arras

Ah ...do you mean in tactical ...well, those tend to be really annoying at times. As terje439 wrote, try to avoid them if possible. They have really long range so its sometimes hard to do. In such case bring artillery and reduce their garrison. At the beginning of battle, consider overall situation on battlefield and if you think it is necessary to deal with one of them, detach force large enough to deal with it quickly, else it can cause you unnecessary trouble.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 13
RE: Detailed Land Combat Tips - 5/28/2009 10:26:58 AM   
Bonaparte78

quote:

ORIGINAL: arras

Ah ...do you mean in tactical

Yes arras, however I have to say that all the smart hints you and the others are giving to me are as precious as gold for a beginner like me!
Thank you!

< Message edited by Bonaparte78 -- 5/28/2009 10:28:09 AM >

(in reply to arras)
Post #: 14
RE: Detailed Land Combat Tips - 7/9/2009 2:50:49 AM   
Harvey Birdman

Use cavalry effectively by taking advantage of the combined arms flanking rules.

quote:

Flanking Deals More Casualties
A unit flanks an enemy unit if it is (1) adjacent to it, (2) on the same • height level, (3) facing it, and (4) not separated from the unit by an unfrozen river. If an assaulted unit has at least three such flanking units then it suffers an increase in damage in proportion to the number of flanking units. In addition:
Square formations ignore 2 flankers.»»
Flanking is only 50% effective against units with deployed »»skirmishers outside of fortifications.
Combined Arms: If a unit is being flanked by an infantry, a cavalry, »»and an artillery unit, this effectively adds 3 to the number of flankers.
A unit that is part of a corps can flank more precisely in coordination »»with units in the same corps—units in the same corps as a unit making an assault each count as 2 flanking units.
Some upgrades and special abilities also affect flanking; see the in-»»game Appendix for details.

Indirect tactics, efficiently applied, are as inexhaustible as Heaven and Earth, unending as the flow of rivers and streams; like the sun and moon, they end but to begin anew; like the four seasons, they pass away but to return once more. Sun Tzu

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> The War Room >> Detailed Land Combat Tips Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI