Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Tora, Tora, Tora!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 9:45:07 AM   
Speedysteve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Splinterhead

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flying Tiger

so now we can say a big 'thanks for nothing' to all the whingers, who not only prevented this AAR from progressing (because tree got sidetracked re-running turn one 20 times) but also for delaying the release while all the dev team ran around responding to the panic merchants who were screaming "its broken, its broken". Now.... enough whinging. play the AAR. Release the game. Enough said!!

If the game gives a 60% chance that the Japanese will do better than they did historically,
it is, arguably, broken. ( Of course the fact that the game assumes that all the Kates carried either 800kg bombs or torpedoes when, in fact about a third carried smaller bombs, one should expect the Japanese to do better.) The only rational solution is to scrap the current, horribly botched mess and start over.

Geez..........

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to Splinterhead)
Post #: 241
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 10:57:26 AM   
Reg

quote:

quote:

so now we can say a big 'thanks for nothing' to all the whingers, who not only prevented this AAR from progressing (because tree got sidetracked re-running turn one 20 times) but also for delaying the release while all the dev team ran around responding to the panic merchants who were screaming "its broken, its broken". Now.... enough whinging. play the AAR. Release the game. Enough said!!

If the game gives a 60% chance that the Japanese will do better than they did historically,
it is, arguably, broken. ( Of course the fact that the game assumes that all the Kates carried either 800kg bombs or torpedoes when, in fact about a third carried smaller bombs, one should expect the Japanese to do better.) The only rational solution is to scrap the current, horribly botched mess and start over.

Attachment (1)

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

Post #: 242
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 10:59:00 AM   
51st Highland Div

I think there a bit of a narrow minded view going on here in regards to one day out of several hundreds in the Pacific War.You can sink as many Battleships etc as you want still aint going to stop the US juggernaut advancing west towards Tokyo..

https://i.ibb.co/SRBTPGK/hmsglasgowmatrix.jpg

The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Banner thanks to RogueUSMC

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 243
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 11:08:00 AM   
Terminus

Which is why this whole discussion is so academic. The game is 1643 days long. Whether or not one more US BB goes down or 20 more IJN aircraft are destroyed is utterly, UTTERLY without relevance.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to 51st Highland Div)
Post #: 244
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 11:50:35 AM   
Speedysteve

It miffs me and I'm not even involved in the game!

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 245
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 11:52:49 AM   
fabertong

quote:

ORIGINAL: Speedy

It miffs me and I'm not even involved in the game!

Me too.........now where's my Hoe..............

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 246
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 12:10:42 PM   
m10bob

quote:

quote:

There are certain events which might provoke one to start having ones' wife go out each morning...to start the car.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by m10bob -- 5/22/2009 12:15:36 PM >

Post #: 247
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 1:30:14 PM   
drw61

I think that Splinterhead was just trying to get a reaction.  Just ignore him, he'll go away.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 248
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 1:35:50 PM   
steveh11Matrix

quote:

Congratulations, you've become the first recipient of my green button...

"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci

Post #: 249
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 1:52:11 PM   
Walloc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Pitchforks and torches at the exits. Help yourselves...

Sorry, due to unexpectedly high demand and limited supply, we can only provide torches for every fourth villager or farmer. There are enough pitchforks for approximately half of the expected mob, the rest must use rakes and the odd hoe.

Doesnt that in effect mean that Shrek will win 100% of the time?
Its broken! HOW RUDE!
I blame Termi and will instigate a petition to get him fired! Blame the danes! Every thing is rotten the in the state of Denmark!

Kind regards,

Rasmus

P.S

< Message edited by Walloc -- 5/22/2009 1:54:26 PM >

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 250
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 2:01:50 PM   
Erik Rutins

Guys, people on this forum are allowed to disagree without being ganged up on. I agree that concern over this is overblown and without context, but I respect that others may feel differently. Just agree to disagree.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 251
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 2:03:57 PM   
rhohltjr

quote:

...The only rational solution is to scrap the current, horribly botched mess and start over.

Perhaps you are just pulling everyones chain a little. Thus the greatness of playing against the AI becomes apparent.
If the AI sinks my entire fleet at PH all I have to do is restart. AI never complains about it. Next time they will most likely not score so well.
Please get back to and continue this AAR....

My e-troops don't unload OVER THE BEACH anymore, see:
Amphibious Assault at Kota Bharu
TF 85 troops securing a beachhead at Kota Bharu, 51,75
whew! I still feel better.

Post #: 252
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 3:03:03 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Pitchforks and torches at the exits. Help yourselves...

Sorry, due to unexpectedly high demand and limited supply, we can only provide torches for every fourth villager or farmer. There are enough pitchforks for approximately half of the expected mob, the rest must use rakes and the odd hoe.

This is due to hardcoding of the slots that contain devices "Pitchfork" and "torch"

So sorry.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 253
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 3:09:06 PM   
Crimguy

First person to see all their BBs go down in pearl (with one attack) deserves a T-shirt.

BTW - I hate to say it, but all the Japs on 12.7 could have had navigational problems and no ships got sunk. Or a dozen or so torps and bombs hit there target that didn't historically, and that ordinanace hit magazines etc. causing 4x the damage that had actually occurred.

And McAullife's last words could have been, "Aw, Nuts!" before a bomb was dropped on his HQ and the 101st were overrun.

I think they call it the fortunes of war.

(in reply to rhohltjr)
Post #: 254
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 3:16:40 PM   
Splinterhead

For those of you who are a little slow, an explanation of my point:

Sentence 1:

"If the game gives a 60% chance that the Japanese will do better than they did historically, it is, arguably, broken. "

This was written in reply to Flying Tigers dismissal of those who take an opposing view from his as "whingers" (whiners). Using a general insult rather than a reasoned argument is a good way to insure that somebody will continue to "waste" your time. If one considers the historical results as median then losing 0 to 4 BBs should be within the normal limits, in my opinion.

Which brings us to sentence 2:

" ( Of course the fact that the game assumes that all the Kates carried either 800kg bombs or torpedoes when, in fact about a third carried smaller bombs, one should expect the Japanese to do better.)"

This was put in to point out that if the game consistantly gave historic results, it might actually be a bigger problem since due to design limitations the Kates actually are about 50% more powerful than historically. (Yes, this means sentence one was actually meant to annoy Flying Tiger and not to be taken completely seriously).

Sentence 3:"The only rational solution is to scrap the current, horribly botched mess and start over. "

I'm honestly suprised that anybody, especially so many of you, didn't get it.

I would like to apologize to any of the developers who may have taken this remark seriously. It was not my intention to denigrate your years of work. You have shown a dedication and knowledge I don't pretend to have.

As for the rest of you who were offended, especially the green button boy, .

(in reply to rhohltjr)
Post #: 255
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 3:30:44 PM   
erstad

The problem is that everyone just wants AE.... And since we can't have AE (yet), all we have to do is pathetically sit around the forum and over-analyze every morsel of information the devs give us, and have nothing better to do than go into a frenzy over every post.

The solution is easy - just give us AE! (Then the real whining can begin )

Post #: 256
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 3:31:16 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

Kates actually are about 50% more powerful than historically.

To reduce Kate "power" in the game just modify something like their torpedo device values (as an example) this can be changed easily in the editor. Increase the dud rate to 80 - that will defang them immensely! In AE we have not modified these value from stock - but modders are free to do so as they always have been.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

Post #: 257
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 3:47:58 PM   
pad152

I remember the 1.0 release of WITP, in that version you could get almost anything in the inital PH attack, this was toned down in later patches, so much so, that you would be hard pressed to sink more than 1 or 2 BB's.

I don't understand why it's 60% and not 50% better than history but, 10% more is not that much of a difference.  Someone will create a Dec 8th scenario with historical results after AE is released.

Post #: 258
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 3:51:40 PM   
Nikademus

yup.

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 259
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 3:52:47 PM   
Terminus

It could still be an official, post-release scenario.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 260
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 4:44:00 PM   
Yamato hugger

Ya'll want to get off my porch with this AFB Pearl Harbor on and on thingie. Think there might be 1 more available thread in Matrix's arsenal for it

On a side note, just got off another 13 hour day and was sitting down to work on my turn when I noticed a PM from Tree telling me to go back to the older version of AE, so installing that now and will have to re-run the combat. Hope my PT still scores against that Goliath.

Edit: But on the plus side, I now have my AE code memorized

< Message edited by Yamato hugger -- 5/22/2009 4:45:28 PM >

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 261
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 5:09:33 PM   
Yamato hugger

Surface combats went as before. Air combats were different. The minesweepers at Pearl went unattacked, but I sank 2 sweepers that I didnt in the PI. Only 1 of the PGs went down, the other was damaged adn on fire and only 1 of the 2 AKs were sunk by Bettys.

Dont mess with Jap PTs

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 262
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 6:21:02 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

I remember the 1.0 release of WITP, in that version you could get almost anything in the inital PH attack, this was toned down in later patches, so much so, that you would be hard pressed to sink more than 1 or 2 BB's.

I don't understand why it's 60% and not 50% better than history but, 10% more is not that much of a difference.  Someone will create a Dec 8th scenario with historical results after AE is released.

pad. One of the large "bones of contention" in the AE "discussion" on PH results is one-sidedness. The possible damage results on the Allied side run the gamit from 0% of historical sinkings to 300% of historical sinkings. But Japanese A/C losses run from 10% of historical to 25% of historical. So while Allied losses can be three times what they were in reality, Japanese losses can NEVER even reach 1/3rd of the historical ones. And that just ain't right!

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 263
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 7:00:56 PM   
Zakhal

Ill take cheese with this thread and little more AAR if possible (seems like its in short supply).

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 264
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 7:14:02 PM   
Panther Bait

Wouldn't the actual median be something more like 4.5 sunk.  Looking at it from a WitP float damage point of view we have:

Oklahoma - 100% float
Arizona - 100% float
West Virginia - 99% float (sunk but raised)
California - 99% float (sunk but raised)
Nevada - hard to say, but considering she was bed enough off to be grounded, at least 50%
Maryland, Tennessee, Pennsylvania - pretty low float, call it 2% total to make my math work.

So going from 4.5 ships sunk to 5, or even 6, isn't a huge leap.  Certainly not 300%.  Obviously part of the "problem" is that sunk ships at Pearl Harbor cannot be raised later in the game.  And it is probably not worth adding in some sort of work-around (e.g. making it harder to get to 100% float damage for the PH attack) just for that one day's attacks, especially if it potentially affects other attacks where the same circumstances don't apply.  We don't want BBs "in Port" at Iwo Jima "settling in the mud" to be raised later, for example.

When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo.

Nathan Dogan, USS Gurnard

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 265
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 7:19:14 PM   
OldCoot

Please send the PH on and on thinge back to the kitchen and send me a helping of AAR as soon as the cook serves it up.

(in reply to Panther Bait)
Post #: 266
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 7:50:44 PM   
cantona2

Any updates coming up YH?

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to OldCoot)
Post #: 267
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 8:07:55 PM   
Tophat1815

Are you sure we have another month of this nonsense to endure before we can get our grubby paws on the game?

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 268
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 11:14:47 PM   
bradfordkay

Why did you have to go back to an earlier version of AE? Inquiring minds want to know... 

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 269
RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! - 5/22/2009 11:25:20 PM   
Przemcio231

Well i would be laughing if the thing that happend to Terminator: Salvation Game happens to AE Any way i remeber one game of WITP when i got like 5 BB's sunk in Pearl after one attack

Pinky: Hey Brain what are we goeing to do this evening?
Brain: The Usual Pinky we will try to take over the World;)

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Tora, Tora, Tora! Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI