Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Whats new?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Whats new? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Whats new? - 5/25/2009 1:08:00 PM   
sapper_astro

I missed the bus the first time around, as reports I had received of the Japanese AI were not promising, along with a plethora of bugs many ranted about lead me elsewhere. I am now seriously looking at purchasing this game, but I have two questions to ask first.

1) In a short spiel, what will be the major differences between this edition and the original game? As I do not know the original, I cannot make heads or tails of the various things that people are discussing on here, so make it dummy friendly

2) How is the AI broken up? Is there, say, certain fronts that can be controlled with the AI taking on the other roles? Can I take the role of the Japs in the East or South? Or the Australian front? The Far East front? etc?
Post #: 1
RE: Whats new? - 5/25/2009 7:31:36 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Humm, I am not following the AE development very closely but this is what I got:

1) more accurate OOB (lots of new ships, air and land units)
2) No more uber CAP, no more bloody air battles
3) each hex = 40 nm (60 in vanilla)
4) the AI will be better than the poor thing in vanilla

Others can be more detailed

Regards

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 5/25/2009 7:32:44 PM >

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to sapper_astro)
Post #: 2
RE: Whats new? - 5/25/2009 8:38:31 PM   
felixghost

I also passed the first time round, b/c I heard that this was in the making. Now that it's almost done I'm looking forward to it.
However, I think they have said that we have to buy the original Witp and then buy the Admiral's Edition.
The expense of buying both back to back is prohibative.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 3
RE: Whats new? - 5/25/2009 9:02:18 PM   
Andy Mac

No the AI may not take partial control any more its all or nothing its unfortuante but wasnt possible to get the AI to take partial control it just steals all your units

(in reply to felixghost)
Post #: 4
RE: Whats new? - 5/25/2009 9:10:09 PM   
IndyShark

Felix, buy WITP now and upgrade to AE later. There is a large learning curve and this is a great game. You will get hours of enjoyment from it. This isn't the type of game that you play once and you're done with it....

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 5
RE: Whats new? - 5/25/2009 9:10:44 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: felixgrey

I also passed the first time round, b/c I heard that this was in the making. Now that it's almost done I'm looking forward to it.
However, I think they have said that we have to buy the original Witp and then buy the Admiral's Edition.

Since the price hasn't been publicized yet, I'd wait with making that decision.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to felixghost)
Post #: 6
RE: Whats new? - 5/25/2009 9:32:59 PM   
felixghost

Sounds good. I'll go back to stand by mode, until the price is published.
Indy,
I hear you man, but the whole reason I didn't WITP in the first place is that I knew this was in the making.
However, after reading all these aars, I'm sure I will pick this up when it ready.

Thanks

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 7
RE: Whats new? - 5/25/2009 9:40:39 PM   
Barre

FWIW...I picked up WITP right after it released.  Although it's not perfect, the game is dazzling in its detail and kept me amused for years.  Even for those of us who play the AI and never manage to PBEM, WITP provided a huge amount of entertainment cheaply.  AE should be the same.... 

(in reply to felixghost)
Post #: 8
RE: Whats new? - 5/25/2009 9:50:55 PM   
Terminus

Except much, much more so.

(in reply to Barre)
Post #: 9
RE: Whats new? - 5/26/2009 4:55:45 AM   
sapper_astro

Thanks for the responses,

I was unaware that it also required the original. I was under my own silly assumption that it would be along the lines of GG world divided, COG Emperors edition, (insert other revamped wargame being resold a couple of years after the original was released). I will await further developments and see how the players react to it.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 10
RE: Whats new? - 5/26/2009 3:57:00 PM   
Lützow

I wouldn't purchase WitP right now anyway. Maybe Matrix offers a discount bundle with AE release.

Post #: 11
RE: Whats new? - 5/26/2009 6:56:03 PM   
Terminus

With the understanding that sales and marketing are Matrix's sovereign domain, and they don't tell us anything about it at all, I'd be VERY surprised if there isn't going to be some sort of bundle deal for first-time buyers. It just makes good business sense.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 12
RE: Whats new? - 5/26/2009 6:56:55 PM   
m10bob

For gosh' sake....Don't drink that nice cold beer now!..Sure.....you just crawled out of the desert and feel parched.....but just think how nice the cold.....wet....beer will feel later....after you have had time to savor the cool.........moist........droplets of the brewers gold.....when you have been able to savor it for a while.........(Don't pay attention to those guys all around you burping and having a good time with your girlfriend....they are just selfish pigs who can't place value on a nice cold brewski!).....

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 13
RE: Whats new? - 5/26/2009 7:17:47 PM   
Erik Rutins

Let me nip the pricing questions in the bud. It's as good a time as any to buy WITP, because the decision was made long ago to set the pricing for AE with the knowledge that a customer would need to own WITP in order to play AE. So AE's pricing will be what we consider reasonable (given its development effort and niche market) for someone who already has WITP.

There won't be a special limited time discount, it will already be built into the permanent AE price (which is set with the combined price of WITP + AE taken into account). Requiring ownership of WITP for AE is what allows that, if we sold it as a separate product the resulting price would be significantly higher and in that case we would have likely offered a limited "upgrade" discount.

This is not to say that there may not, at some point in the future, be price changes to WITP (and there will be the holiday sales and the occasional Blitzkrieg sales). However, right now no price changes to WITP are planned or on the horizon.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 5/26/2009 7:19:09 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 14
RE: Whats new? - 5/26/2009 7:36:04 PM   
Crimguy

TD - Does Fergie ever get that balloon??

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

Humm, I am not following the AE development very closely but this is what I got:

1) more accurate OOB (lots of new ships, air and land units)
2) No more uber CAP, no more bloody air battles
3) each hex = 40 nm (60 in vanilla)
4) the AI will be better than the poor thing in vanilla

Others can be more detailed

Regards

Post #: 15
RE: Whats new? - 5/26/2009 7:58:48 PM   
TulliusDetritus

"Does Fergie ever get that balloon??" -- Crimguy

Nope. But tomorrow he can try to catch a mighty trophy: the European Champions League Final. Amazing match

Anyway, as you may already know a multimillionaire recently paid the Warner Bros (?) company. "I want the Coyote to catch the Road Runner. I have big big big money"...

And the customer is always right... or almost...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJJW7EF5aVk

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 16
RE: Whats new? - 5/26/2009 8:12:16 PM   
Grotius

quote:

There won't be a special limited time discount, it will already be built into the permanent AE price (which is set with the combined price of WITP + AE taken into account). Requiring ownership of WITP for AE is what allows that, if we sold it as a separate product the resulting price would be significantly higher and in that case we would have likely offered a limited "upgrade" discount.

Hmm -- with all due respect, I have to say I'm a tad surprised at this decision, or at least at the packaging of the decision. I personally don't care -- I'd pay more for more AE than I did for WITP. But I want my on-the-fence friends to buy both WITP and AE. (They are potential PBEM opponents!)

Why not charge a bit more for AE and a bit less for WITP, as a limited-time bundle? The bottom line would be the same for you (or even better), and it would give newcomers a sense that they got a reasonably good deal, since they pay a little less for WITP than I did and pay the same price for AE that I do. That wouldn't bother me, and it might entice them. Maybe the price of AE will be so low that it looks like a bundle anyway?

I dunno, maybe others feel differently, but I'm a bit surprised. My on-the-fence friends keep asking me whether there will be a "bundled price." Now I have to tell them no.

Post #: 17
RE: Whats new? - 5/26/2009 9:54:49 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius
Why not charge a bit more for AE and a bit less for WITP, as a limited-time bundle? The bottom line would be the same for you (or even better), and it would give newcomers a sense that they got a reasonably good deal, since they pay a little less for WITP than I did and pay the same price for AE that I do. That wouldn't bother me, and it might entice them. Maybe the price of AE will be so low that it looks like a bundle anyway?

I dunno, maybe others feel differently, but I'm a bit surprised. My on-the-fence friends keep asking me whether there will be a "bundled price." Now I have to tell them no.

Yep, I understand your point. This is one of those funny areas of human psychology. Note that AE has been known to be coming for two years now. For over a year we've said that WITP would be required to play it and in that time we've had WITP on sale twice for significant discounts.

Now we could also discount WITP for a limited time during the release period, but this would only be for a very limited time since we feel that WITP is still well worth the original price and also serves as a good "trainer" for AE (If you can't handle WITP, you shouldn't be playing AE).

I'll give it some more thought.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 18
RE: Whats new? - 5/27/2009 3:24:44 AM   
mbatch729

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
since we feel that WITP is still well worth the original price and also serves as a good "trainer" for AE (If you can't handle WITP, you shouldn't be playing AE).

Regards,

- Erik

Ah, well, I guess you just lost a customer. According to my PBEM opponents, I definitely can't handle WiTP...

Later,
FC3(SW) Batch
USS Iowa

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 19
RE: Whats new? - 5/27/2009 3:38:02 AM   
Tophat1815

quote:

ORIGINAL: mbatch729

quote:

since we feel that WITP is still well worth the original price and also serves as a good "trainer" for AE (If you can't handle WITP, you shouldn't be playing AE).

Regards,

- Erik

Ah, well, I guess you just lost a customer. According to my PBEM opponents, I definitely can't handle WiTP...

Wow,then you'd be lost pbm with AE.

(in reply to mbatch729)
Post #: 20
RE: Whats new? - 5/27/2009 3:47:18 AM   
mbatch729

Tongue firmly in cheek for my previous post. I'll be buying day 1, in about 3 - 4 weeks, I'm guessing. (I have no insider trading knowledge, just my best guess).

Later,
FC3(SW) Batch
USS Iowa

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 21
RE: Whats new? - 5/27/2009 5:56:55 AM   
thegreatwent

quote:

I suspect our play styles are similar

(in reply to mbatch729)
Post #: 22
RE: Whats new? - 5/27/2009 6:23:54 AM   
stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: sapper_astro

I missed the bus the first time around, as reports I had received of the Japanese AI were not promising, along with a plethora of bugs many ranted about lead me elsewhere. I am now seriously looking at purchasing this game, but I have two questions to ask first.

1) In a short spiel, what will be the major differences between this edition and the original game? As I do not know the original, I cannot make heads or tails of the various things that people are discussing on here, so make it dummy friendly

2) How is the AI broken up? Is there, say, certain fronts that can be controlled with the AI taking on the other roles? Can I take the role of the Japs in the East or South? Or the Australian front? The Far East front? etc?

For what it is worth, I have played a lot of war games over the years, AGEOD games, TOAW, Korsun Pocket, HOI 2, and a host of others. and I really can suggest you purchase WiTP. It beats them all.

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

Post #: 23
RE: Whats new? - 5/27/2009 9:27:17 AM   
Lützow

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tophat1812

I spent hundreds of hours with scenarios up to 'Rising Sun' and never touched the great campaign yet. Frankly, I would lack of patience and probably lose track in a 1600-turns-pbem, covering whole pacific theatre. However, AE will be a must already for it's new features and I expect even the smaller scenarios playing out different due to larger map scale and additional bases.

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 24
RE: Whats new? - 5/27/2009 12:32:55 PM   
SuluSea

quote:

Yep, I understand your point. This is one of those funny areas of human psychology. Note that AE has been known to be coming for two years now. For over a year we've said that WITP would be required to play it and in that time we've had WITP on sale twice for significant discounts.

Now we could also discount WITP for a limited time during the release period, but this would only be for a very limited time since we feel that WITP is still well worth the original price and also serves as a good "trainer" for AE (If you can't handle WITP, you shouldn't be playing AE).

I'll give it some more thought.

Regards,

- Erik

People that are surprised at this should look no further than their very own mirror, Matrix and some members of the forum communicated that WITP would be needed for AE to all who were listening. I recently bought the game myself during the Matrix Christmas sale and no question it is well worth the asking price. As many know here WITP isn't your typical game that you learn in a day, week or month. It takes time to learn all the game functions that's why I recommend buying WITP now instead of later. Anyone wanting to play out the pacific battles on a grand scale will love the game.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 25
RE: Whats new? - 5/27/2009 1:39:40 PM   
morganbj

quote:

ORIGINAL: felixgrey

So, get WITP now and AE next week when it's released. That spreads the cost out a little.

(in reply to felixghost)
Post #: 26
RE: Whats new? - 5/27/2009 1:58:30 PM   
felixghost

ok. I guess I wasn't listening..... I decided to check back in after a year or so, so obviously I'm at fault. I may or may not buy the game depending on reviews and bundles. I'm also waiting on WIF and waiting to see what the price point is on that, but I will pretty much buy that as soon as it hits the shelves. I too can wait to buy this on the next "sale period", it just means I get to be patient and buy it when I find it reasonable to me.

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 27
RE: Whats new? - 5/27/2009 2:10:33 PM   
Matto

quote:

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

... and AE next week when it's released ...

It sounds interesting Mat

Excuse my English ... I hope is better then Your Czech ... :o)
My MatrixGames: WitP, WitP AE, WPO, JTCS, P&S, CoGEE, ATG, GoA, B.Academy, C-GW, OoB all DLCs, all SC, FoG2/E, most AGEOD games ...

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 28
RE: Whats new? - 5/27/2009 2:18:05 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lützow

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tophat1812

I spent hundreds of hours with scenarios up to 'Rising Sun' and never touched the great campaign yet. Frankly, I would lack of patience and probably lose track in a 1600-turns-pbem, covering whole pacific theatre.

You might be suprised..., especially with PBEM. The long campaign is demanding..., but it also allows you strategic flexibility you don't have in a scenario. There's nothing like the satisfaction of "watching a plan come together". And if you have a live opponant to spring it on, well..., that's just gravy.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 29
RE: Whats new? - 5/27/2009 3:59:34 PM   
Graycompany

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

[
Why not charge a bit more for AE and a bit less for WITP, as a limited-time bundle? The bottom line would be the same for you (or even better), and it would give newcomers a sense that they got a reasonably good deal, since they pay a little less for WITP than I did and pay the same price for AE that I do.

I never really liked that type of marketing. It gets done in the states all to often. exsiting costumers, who are the base, and support the company or product from the start, should be the ones who get the better deal, rather then someone that comes along later. An example is the way the Cable/Sat companies do here in the states, you go in , purchase a plan, 2 weeks later they are offering a better deal, but not for exsisting customers. Ive always thought that the best way to market, is take care of the base, not people just looking for a deal, for those people, more often than not, will move to the next best deal out there, with no thought of loyalty. Just my opinion.

I thought this place was a empire, now im the last, I can't be sure...

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Whats new? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI