Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

help

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
help - 5/30/2009 10:50:09 PM   
JOHN.KILMARTIN2

Hi there I have the origional Battle of Britian game, and love it however I cant get the game to run with vista can any one help
Post #: 1
RE: help - 5/30/2009 11:22:03 PM   
Hard Sarge

you running 64 or 32 bit ?

I think the installer is too old for 64 to work, but may work with 32

you may be able to copy and paste it in, but will need the CD, so not sure if that is a good option

(in reply to JOHN.KILMARTIN2)
Post #: 2
RE: help - 5/31/2009 3:30:40 PM   
toast_1

For some old games that refuse to run on Vista, one solution may be to use a "Virtual PC " and run another operating system under Vista. A Virtual PC ( several kinds Microsoft , SunMicrosystems etc) runs under Vista (i.e. host) and allows you to run another operating system (i.e guest) , on your Vista laptop.

Here's an example . I recently did this. I wanted to install "Over the Reich" by BigTimeSoftware, released 1996 . OVR is a turned based tactical strategy game that was designed for Win 95 but runs well in Win98 but not under Vista (It fails the CD check). So I installed "MS Virtual PC 2007 (FREE) " on my Vista 32 Home Premium laptop, then loaded my old copy of Win98se intoVirtualPC. I loaded OVR from my CDROM using Win98se under Vista . OVR now runs perfectly on my Vista laptop. :) This may sound like a lot of work but it really isn't. I have done this with other software that refuses to run under Vista.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 3
RE: help - 6/2/2009 3:01:08 PM   
JOHN.KILMARTIN2

Thanks I'l have a look at virtual PC, but I've found that it seems that the game does not regognise direct X (or at least not the new versions) as it can't locate the "d3 dlls"

(in reply to toast_1)
Post #: 4
RE: help - 6/3/2009 12:40:05 PM   
Hard Sarge

for some of vista, you have to reg the Dll's

pain in the butt and just plain stupid, and of course, half of the ones I need, it don't want to take them being reg's

here are some notes for another game trying to port over to Vista

You are most likely missing three required DLL files. Attached is a zipped file that contains them. Here are the instructions for copying and registering them.

1. Unzip the three DLL files into your C:\Windows\System32 folder

2. Press Start Menu -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Right Click on Command Prompt -> Run As Administrator.

3. Type “cd C:\Windows\System32”

4. Type “regsvr32 dsound.dll”

5. Repeat using the other two file names to register all three DLL files.

Note: If you don’t do Run as Administrator, the regsvr32 will fail.

I don't understand the CD command, as when I open it, it is already there, and you don't want the " "

don't know if that will help or not, I have gotten some to take and others do not (module failed, module didn't load, module can't be found)

pretty bad when you have files in a system and the system can't find them, when they are right there

(in reply to JOHN.KILMARTIN2)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI