Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Good Napoleonic and ACW books.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Good Napoleonic and ACW books. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Good Napoleonic and ACW books. - 6/15/2009 5:29:06 PM   
sapper_astro

I am looking for some good, fairly thorough, well written general histories on these two conflicts, the personalities, and the major parts of the conflicts. Can anyone suggest any good books or series of books about these conflicts? I am looking for General histories at this moment, not specific campaigns.

Thank you.
Post #: 1
RE: Good Napoleonic and ACW books. - 6/15/2009 5:47:32 PM   
sullafelix

Best inclusive Nappy book is Chandler's "The Campaigns of Napoleon". It is a tome though going 1000+ pages and it has a hefty price tag also. Once your done reading it though you will have been bathed in almost all aspects of the Napoleonic land campaigns.

If you are just looking for an overview of the Napoleonic wars there are way to many of them to mention. None of them I read stick in my mind because they didn't go deep enough for me.

< Message edited by sulla05 -- 6/15/2009 5:48:18 PM >

(in reply to sapper_astro)
Post #: 2
RE: Good Napoleonic and ACW books. - 6/15/2009 5:54:00 PM   
sapper_astro

quote:

ORIGINAL: sulla05

Best inclusive Nappy book is Chandler's "The Campaigns of Napoleon". It is a tome though going 1000+ pages and it has a hefty price tag also. Once your done reading it though you will have been bathed in almost all aspects of the Napoleonic land campaigns.

If you are just looking for an overview of the Napoleonic wars there are way to many of them to mention. None of them I read stick in my mind because they didn't go deep enough for me.

This sounds quite good. I will see what prices are wanted for it. This should be fun...

No probs with the number of pages, as long as it is well written.

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 3
RE: Good Napoleonic and ACW books. - 6/15/2009 6:59:20 PM   
Terminus

Shelby Foote's The Civil War: A Narrative is superlative. Only about 3,000 pages...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to sapper_astro)
Post #: 4
RE: Good Napoleonic and ACW books. - 6/15/2009 7:09:20 PM   
sol_invictus

Yep, Foote's Magnum Opus is indeed a tome. A more reasonably sized read for the ACW is McPhearson's "Battle Cry of Freedom". It is an excellent book. I agree, Chandler is about the best source for a sweeping overview of the Napoleonic Wars. Esdailes "Napoleon's Wars" is also good.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 5
RE: Good Napoleonic and ACW books. - 6/15/2009 7:16:42 PM   
Hertston

You can't go wrong with Chandler and McPherson. I must admit I haven't read Foote, though.

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 6
RE: Good Napoleonic and ACW books. - 6/15/2009 9:07:18 PM   
Arsan

Hi!

Nothing too original to recommend
Chandler's Napoleon Campaigns is the one to get for Napoleonics. Don't think twice. It's awesome
With it you will have everything of military importance of the era except the Peninsular war (as the book covers campaigns where Napoleon was in person, and he only stayed in Spain for some months). For the Peninsular war i recommend David Gates "The Spanish Ulcer". But Chandler first!

Regarding ACW, i second McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom as a great and deep general history of the war: prewar situation, politics, economics, and of course military campaigns... it has it all.
I'm currently finishing Foote Trilogy (only two chapters to go after more than a year of intermittent reading ) and its absolutely great and very well written.
But as an European without not much previous knowledge of the ACW i'm glad to had read McPherson's book first as it give a more in depth (even if much less detailed) vision of the conflict. Not only what happened, but why and how.
Now, Foote offers a much more detailed account of military campaigns and a much more vivid personalities. And its a better read
Both are great.

Cheers!

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Good Napoleonic and ACW books. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI