Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Deep game, clumsy execution...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Deep game, clumsy execution... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Deep game, clumsy execution... - 5/29/2002 8:42:30 AM   
MadMike

First off: Matrix guys, you've made a product I couldn't dream of writing a "design intention" document for, let alone make a reality. Kudos.

Second: There are a few niggling issues with the interface and execution I'd like to hit on.

Why doesn't the darn game recognize that it is already installed? I shouldn't have to turn off auto-run to accomodate this particular program.

Why does the credits screen hijack my display for 10 seconds every time I exit the game? You guys did a great job, no need to rub it in.

Why do I have to watch the intro movies EVERY time I go into the game? Once is enough, or let me check a preference to turn them off.

Why doesn't the email option automatically package the darn playback .dat file with the correct save file?

And finally, why doesn't "head-to-head" mean over an internet/network connection? And why don't we have the "continous" play style available for that sort of game connection? I don't want to sound like I'm 16 or something, believe me I've hotseated enuf games in my time, but it's not even remotely the ideal choice for multi-play, and neither is the current email process.

And I won't even go into the "seeing the other guys stuff during replay" bug, I know you've got that one already.

I'm getting around these issues to play the game anyway because of the deep gameplay and attention to detail. (I'm not grognard enuf to know if all that detail is correct, however)

I just needed to vent on some things that don't so much effect actual gameplay, but do effect my enjoyment of that gameplay, making it harder to get to where I want to be, PLAYING.

Thanks for listening,
Mike

Oh look, my CV's are on fire.
Post #: 1
- 5/29/2002 8:54:17 AM   
madflava13

Remove the opeining vids from the folder and it will skip them automatically.

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to MadMike)
Post #: 2
- 5/29/2002 9:05:27 AM   
Adam Parker

You can remove the closing screens/avi too usually. Can you right click/esc out of the opening movies btw?

Lastly, could the non-cd recognition be a dx issue? I've had this with the odd Talonsoft game but so long as the game itself has run fine I've been more than happy to live with it. That's all I'm asking for!

(in reply to MadMike)
Post #: 3
- 5/29/2002 9:05:28 AM   
Jagger2002

Go to your Uncommon Valor shortcut and hit properties. When it opens, find target. Change the last part of the string in target to uncommonvalor.exe. Gets rid of all the marketing. You just go straight to the game and immediately leave the game.

Hope that helps.

(in reply to MadMike)
Post #: 4
thanks, madflava - 5/29/2002 9:07:36 AM   
MadMike

allright, nevermind then, one issue solved.

thanks for the reply, flava! :)

anybody else got any quick fixes to the others? :D

(in reply to MadMike)
Post #: 5
woah, that was quick! - 5/29/2002 9:12:30 AM   
MadMike

Wow, thanks guys, quick replies all!

That will lower my overall frustration level considerably.

Thanks.

(in reply to MadMike)
Post #: 6
- 5/29/2002 9:28:17 AM   
Paul Vebber

on the internet play thing, the game is turn based, "continuous play" just lets you "skip" turns where not much happens.

Internet play doesn't do much for this form of execution. If you meet someone online and use ICQ or the like for file transger, you can approximate "online play" pretty closely.

(in reply to MadMike)
Post #: 7
- 5/29/2002 10:32:54 AM   
MadMike

Thanks for replying Paul, everyone has been a great help here.

The "internet play thing" is not so much a concern for the "continous play" option, as it is for ease of multiplayer use. I've got a network at work and a network at home, and my main opponent and I would prefer to be in the game at the same time while we play, even turn based games are more enjoyable. It's an option that would be appreciated, I think. While the other guy watches the movie and plots moves, you can scan your forces and facilities while planning and taking notes.

Anyway, maybe with WitP. :)

(in reply to MadMike)
Post #: 8
- 5/29/2002 12:35:47 PM   
Crocky

Well Mike I hope you get a better result here than you did in attempting to take K12 ;)

Let me know when your up for a game

Mike Blair CROCKY

(in reply to MadMike)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Deep game, clumsy execution... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI