Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Mindoro

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Mindoro Page: <<   < prev  108 109 [110] 111 112   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Mindoro - 6/3/2009 6:52:45 PM   
HMS Resolution

Hot damn! Looks like you got a fight on your hands.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 3271
RE: Mindoro - 6/4/2009 1:29:17 PM   
FOW

San Jose is one huge stride into a Jap hornets nest. Those C-47 pilots will be earning their combat pay for the next few days and weeks.

(in reply to HMS Resolution)
Post #: 3272
RE: Mindoro - 6/5/2009 4:06:56 PM   
Cap Mandrake

San Jose is not the prize.

Here is the situation in the PI, June 29, 1943:

Mindoro: A bit over 3,000 Japs are ashore and are certainly disorganized after several hundred of them were pulled out of the water and were subjected to 12 Pdr. fire during landing. They are opposed by most of 2 brigades of 6th Aus. ID and a Bn. of the KNIL Barisan Regt., plus the veterans of the Akita attack and support troops. The Australian and Dutch troops on Mindoro are somewhat disorganized after an Allied counterattack on the 27th achieved 1:1 odds but inflicted more casulaties on the attackers than the Japs. Even so, I don't think the Japs will have the forces to evict us and we are in control of the airfield. The Jap troops nwo on Mindoro might have been better employed garrisoning San Marcelino. The PT boats at San Jose are retreating back to Jolo with their tails between their legs to refuel. The Jap carriers and heavy forces are retiring to Formosa. There may be a small window of opportunity to get troops into San Marcelino (Luzon), which is still ungarrisoned. To that purpose, one RN crusier and 4 DD's have embarked about 500 troops of 7th ID at Jolo and will move today to San Jose and the air umbrella there. The plan is then to move on to San Marcelino on the night of June 30/July 1 to put the troops ashore. Of course, this is risky. I am sure Formosa has plenty of Bettys and there are powerful Jap surface forces about...not to mention the carriers. we shall see. Did I mention everyone is a volunteer?

Tacloban(Leyete): A build-up of Allied forces continues here. The Japs have a full combat brigade so this will not be easy. I have one Aus brigade ashore and am bringing an armoured regt. via LCT from Cagayan. The bombers at Cagayan will attmept to soften up the Japs before an attack.

Reinforcements: US 32nd ID is passing Kai Island now. US 41st ID is nearing Sydney (3 weeks away from the fighting). Two more RN DD's are with 32nd ID. There is another Aus. Armoured Regt at Jolo as well as the bulk of Aus. 7th ID.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 6/5/2009 5:09:47 PM >

(in reply to FOW)
Post #: 3273
RE: Mindoro - 6/5/2009 5:33:29 PM   
Canoerebel

June 29, 1943, and you're in the central Philippine Islands...the Japanese Empire is in deep, deep do-do.

Post #: 3274
Luzon - 6/8/2009 6:27:59 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Speaking of deep, deep do-do.

GLOSSARY:

Marsh Tit Force: 2/12th Australian Infantry Battalion & 2/4th Field Company (Qld/Tasmania), Royal Australian Engineers (NSW), (7th Aus. Div)

Task Force Orange: HMS Frobisher, USS Boise, 4 x DD

do-do: A colloquialism for excrement of almost any species of animal, though seldom applied to aquatic animals whose excretions lack structural integrity in the aqueous setting. A noted exception are a number of whale species who excrete extremely persistent intestinal products, some of which are curiously used in the fragrance industry (ambergris). This material can be quite valuable. Readers are, however, advised to use extreme caution in the collection of bouyant "do-do" as misidentification can have serious health consequences. Particular caution should be used if there are cruise ships or surfers in the vicintiy. Also if you are near a Mexican coastal town of any size I would just put the whole idea out of your head.

San Marcelino: An Italian restaurant in Queens and also a town in Western Luzon which really should be in the Bataan hex but it seems there was a small error made in the M&M Enterprises map of the area. In July of 1943(b) this area contains a level 5 airfield but almost no port facility even though San Marcelino is right next to Olongapo, which was, by the way, purposely misspelled "Olongapoo" in the Minderbinder for President jingle. Where was I? Oh, yeah, Olongapo is famous because it used to have lots of "dance clubs" because it is right next to Subic Bay, which was a pretty good size port, even in 1941.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 6/8/2009 6:50:04 PM >

Post #: 3275
RE: Luzon - 6/8/2009 6:54:25 PM   
HMS Resolution

Subic Bay was apparently nicknamed "Pubic Bay", for reasons I'm sure I can't fathom.

Post #: 3276
More about the Marsh Tit...the Force, I mean - 6/10/2009 3:11:13 AM   
Cap Mandrake

*********Aus. 7th Infantry Division HQ, Jolo, Dawn, July 2*******

Sparks: Come in Marsh Tit, this is Eagles Nest, over?

Gen. Allen, CO of the division: <worry lines furrow his brow> Again.

Sparks: Come in Marsh Tit, this is Eagles Nest, over? <The radioman unkeys the mic to the sound of superheterodyne hiss. There is nothing from San Marcelino. After some 20 seconds of silence he speaks again>
I don't think the force is with us, sir.

Post #: 3277
Eureka! Diet Coke conducts electricity! - 6/20/2009 4:58:54 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Wow..what a couple of weeks. My daughter graduated from UCLA and I was doing stuff around the house for a big party and riding herd on the plumbing gang that could not shoot straight and then....I spilled diet coke into my keyboard. I installed the emergency back-up but I think the primary is going to need rinse and hold in the dishwasher.

I hired this young couple to restain my kitchen cabinets. The young woman was seriously hot. Easily the best looking painter I have ever seen. I had to literally leave the house when she climbed up the stepladder to stain the high cabinets as I was drooling all over the work area.

Wesley Clark was the speaker at my daughter's graduation. What an ego that guy has.

Am currently negotiating pre-nup with stalker girl. We are hung up on Section XII/A, "Avocations and Hobbies". I proffered 21 hrs per week for WITP/AE. She countered with 45 minutes and a demand I have to watch "Dancing With the Stars" with her at least 3 times per month during the season. That is quite a gulf. I am now advocating 6 party talks.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 6/20/2009 5:02:25 PM >

(in reply to Moondawggie)
Post #: 3278
Make your target.... - 6/20/2009 5:51:18 PM   
Cap Mandrake

****Aboard a B-25J of 90th BS(M), USAAF, Angels 6, 7 miles South of San Jose harbor, Mindoro, 19:50, June 27, 1943*****

Tall, hirsute USAAF Cpt.: I don't see any Jap ships. Maybe we got the wrong island. Bombardier, do you have anything?

Bombardier: Negative on the ships captain. It's socked in pretty good.

Tall, hirsute USAAF Cpt.: What about that flashing light? That has to be a Jap destroyer or something.

Bombardier: Negative on the light Cpt. I don't have target ID. That is a violation of ROE.

Tall, hirsute USAAF Cpt.: R-O-WHAT!

Bombardier: ROE, sir. Rules of engagement. Request go around sir.

Tall, hirsute USAAF Cpt.: Go around, my ass. You are new to this bird. The Rule of Engagement aboard my plane is to not give the Japs two tries to shoot me. Make your target that destroyer searchlight.

Bombardier: But sir, what about friendlies?

Tall, hirsute USAAF Cpt.: Friendlies? Are you kidding me? We have nothing but PT's here. Put your bombs on that destroyer so we don't have to come back here tomorrow. THAT IS AN ORDER GOD DAMNIT!

Bombardier: Acknowledged, sir, but I must formally protest.

<tracers begin to surge wildly through the low clouds>

Tall, hirsute USAAF Cpt.: Protest all you want, just drop the Goddamn bombs before we have to pick plexiglass out of your head. <the ship bumps from a nearby AAA burst. The Captains voice rises an octave> SHOOT DAMNIT! THOSE SONS OF BITCHES ARE TRYING TO KILL ME!.................

Post #: 3279
RE: Mindoro - 6/20/2009 7:51:30 PM   
Cap Mandrake

****Reparations Tribunal, Government of the Pillipines in Exile, Jolo, June 30, 1943******

Plaintiff's Atty.:
Your Honor, The Historical Preservation Society of Mindoro names, as defendants, Mr. Franklin Roosevelt, General Marshall, General Short of Southwest Pacific Command, General Kenney of Fifth Air Force, Colonol Cathcart, commanding officer of <consults notes> 90th Bombardment Squadron, United States Army Air Force and the men and officers of 90th Bombardment Squadron. We allege that by design or neglect, said defendants did cause the destruction of the 355 year old Spanish lighthouse at San Jose on the evenening of June 27, 1943.

USAAF Counsel: <forgets himslef briefly> Phhht. Your Honor that is prepsoterous.

Judge: <looks sternly at the young lawyer> Lt., you may think it funny to destroy an historic buidling but I grew up on Mindoro and I can tell you it was a beautiful buidling and played a large role in the entire identity of the city adn island. <tears begin to stream down his cheeks>

USAAF Counsel: <soto voce to aide> I think we are in trouble.

Judge: What is that, Lt.? Do you have something to say to the Court?

USAAF Counsel: Well, Your Honor, it is the position of 5th Air Force that collateral damage is inevitable in wartime, and, although unfortunate, is necessary to evict an evil occupier of this land.

Judge: The Empire of Japan is not a party to this case.

USAAF Counsel:Maybe they should be, Your Honor.

Judge:Don't be impertinent with me, Lt.

USAAF Counsel: I am sorry, Your Honor, but the idea of holding individual enlisted men and junior officers culpable for actions taken in the heat of battle is outlandish. There must have been 150 planes involved in that attack. Can you imagine the effect on morale?

Judge: Let them have Parchisi boards then.

Plaintiff's Atty.:
Your Honor, regarding the 90th Bombardment Squadron, we do have an eyewitness.......

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 6/20/2009 7:55:56 PM >

Post #: 3280
RE: Eureka! Diet Coke conducts electricity! - 6/20/2009 10:33:12 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake
Am currently negotiating pre-nup with stalker girl. We are hung up on Section XII/A, "Avocations and Hobbies". I proffered 21 hrs per week for WITP/AE. She countered with 45 minutes and a demand I have to watch "Dancing With the Stars" with her at least 3 times per month during the season. That is quite a gulf. I am now advocating 6 party talks.

Amazing!! The prolonged hunt seems about to come to an end.

So, this 6 party talks - are you in the same position as North Korea and Stalker Girl the USA?

And will there be video cameras mounted in the computer room to monitor compliance with any agreement??

Post #: 3281
RE: Eureka! Diet Coke conducts electricity! - 6/21/2009 3:45:25 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

So, this 6 party talks - are you in the same position as North Korea and Stalker Girl the USA?

Yes..I think my position is analagous to Kim Jung Il. She has powerful inducements which can be withheld to encourage my cooperation. In that event I have to play with my rocket by myself.

quote:

And will there be video cameras mounted in the computer room to monitor compliance with any agreement??

She could merely use the Mayan TV feed.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 3282
The Philippines - 6/21/2009 3:58:49 PM   
Cap Mandrake

****SITREP, The Philippines, July 3, 1943*****

San Marcelino: Marsh Tit Force went on the attack at the very same time that 21,000 Jap combat troops arrived from Lingayen. I am still not quite sure what happened. There was a warning the Jap foce was "surrounded" and some 400 casualties were reported on the Aussie side but Marsh Tit Force is now completely gone down to the last man

Leyte: The attack by 6th Aus Div(-) and a tank regt. went well. Tacloban may fall with the next attack.

Jolo: The lawsuit against 90thBS(M) continues, sapping morale. Another Fast Transport TF is loading more volunteers for a landing on Eastern Luzon (Tuguagaro). US 32nd ID will arrive at Jolo today and begin prepping for a SE Luzon landing.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 6/21/2009 3:59:29 PM >

Post #: 3283
RE: The Philippines - 6/23/2009 6:13:54 PM   
Cap Mandrake

******Australian 7th Division Briefing Room, Jolo, July 2, 1943*****

Gen. Allen, CO:..right, a number among you have inquired about Marsh Tit Force. It seems we are having some communication issues. In the interim, Darwin have come up with a scheme..err..I mean plan to land a second force by cruiser on Eastern Luzon at <looks at nores)Too...goo...yoooeee...oh bloody Hell, how does one say this? (Fillipino aide leans and whispers in his ear> Too...gway...no eh sound are you sure........ OK..Too...gooway..guhh..row....oohh...No?...Too..gway..guh..grow. Oh, bloody Hell! <walks over to the map> It's here. I shall need a volunteer from among the battalion commanders. <looks around the very quiet room> Oh come now! Don't be timid! Intelligence estimates the landing site is unoccupied.

Bn. CO: Sir, isn't that what G2 said about San Marcelino?

Post #: 3284
RE: The Philippines - 6/24/2009 9:33:42 AM   
tabpub

quote:

******Australian 7th Division Briefing Room, Jolo, July 2, 1943*****

Gen. Allen, CO:..right, a number among you have inquired about Marsh Tit Force. It seems we are having some communication issues. In the interim, Darwin have come up with a scheme..err..I mean plan to land a second force by cruiser on Eastern Luzon at <looks at nores)Too...goo...yoooeee...oh bloody Hell, how does one say this? (Fillipino aide leans and whispers in his ear> Too...gway...no eh sound are you sure........ OK..Too...gooway..guhh..row....oohh...No?...Too..gway..guh..grow. Oh, bloody Hell! <walks over to the map> It's here. I shall need a volunteer from among the battalion commanders. <looks around the very quiet room> Oh come now! Don't be timid! Intelligence estimates the landing site is unoccupied.

Bn. CO: Sir, isn't that what G2 said about San Marcelino?

Hey, Mandrake; I found some Aussies from this Division in the SF brig. They got into a ruckus on Fisherman's Wharf or something...least, that's what the SP's said from the hospital....

Sing to the tune of "Man on the Flying Trapeze"
..Oh! We fly o'er the treetops with inches to spare,
There's smoke in the cockpit and gray in my hair.
The tracers look fine as a strafin' we go.
But, brother, we're TOO God damn low...

Post #: 3285
RE: Make your target.... - 6/24/2009 1:36:27 PM   
vettim89

quote:

****Aboard a B-25J of 90th BS(M), USAAF, Angels 6, 7 miles South of San Jose harbor, Mindoro, 19:50, June 27, 1943*****

Tall, hirsute USAAF Cpt.: I don't see any Jap ships. Maybe we got the wrong island. Bombardier, do you have anything?

Bombardier: Negative on the ships captain. It's socked in pretty good.

Tall, hirsute USAAF Cpt.: What about that flashing light? That has to be a Jap destroyer or something.

Bombardier: Negative on the light Cpt. I don't have target ID. That is a violation of ROE.

Tall, hirsute USAAF Cpt.: R-O-WHAT!

Bombardier: ROE, sir. Rules of engagement. Request go around sir.

Tall, hirsute USAAF Cpt.: Go around, my ass. You are new to this bird. The Rule of Engagement aboard my plane is to not give the Japs two tries to shoot me. Make your target that destroyer searchlight.

Bombardier: But sir, what about friendlies?

Tall, hirsute USAAF Cpt.: Friendlies? Are you kidding me? We have nothing but PT's here. Put your bombs on that destroyer so we don't have to come back here tomorrow. THAT IS AN ORDER GOD DAMNIT!

Bombardier: Acknowledged, sir, but I must formally protest.

<tracers begin to surge wildly through the low clouds>

Tall, hirsute USAAF Cpt.: Protest all you want, just drop the Goddamn bombs before we have to pick plexiglass out of your head. <the ship bumps from a nearby AAA burst. The Captains voice rises an octave> SHOOT DAMNIT! THOSE SONS OF BITCHES ARE TRYING TO KILL ME!.................

AH not to be a stickler here but ........ the -J didn't have a bombardier. Solid nose and 75 mm canon took up the space formerly reserved for the bombardier. Just saying you know for historical accuracy and all

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

Post #: 3286
RE: Make your target.... - 6/24/2009 2:12:54 PM   
HMS Resolution

Thanks to Milo's padding of the accounts, every -25J of the 90th BS(M) retains a bombardier.

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 3287
RE: Make your target.... - 6/24/2009 4:05:20 PM   
Panther Bait

No wonder he couldn't see the ships or the lighthouse, the Bombadier doesn't even have a window to look out of!!!!

When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo.

Nathan Dogan, USS Gurnard

Post #: 3288
RE: Make your target.... - 6/24/2009 9:56:36 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: vettim89

AH not to be a stickler here but ........ the -J didn't have a bombardier. Solid nose and 75 mm canon took up the space formerly reserved for the bombardier. Just saying you know for historical accuracy and all

Are you sure about that? According to at least two sources, many of the solid nose J's were field modifications, at least on those delivered first in the queue.

Of course, I could always claim this is 1943(b)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 3289
RE: Make your target.... - 6/24/2009 9:56:58 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: HMS Resolution

Thanks to Milo's padding of the accounts, every -25J of the 90th BS(M) retains a bombardier.

Hmmmmm???

Post #: 3290
RE: Make your target.... - 6/24/2009 10:17:51 PM   
HMS Resolution

Jest tryin' to halp.

Post #: 3291
RE: Make your target.... - 6/25/2009 12:41:30 AM   
BrucePowers

Hi Cap Hope all is well.

Bruce Powers

Post #: 3292
RE: Make your target.... - 6/25/2009 1:22:40 AM   
vettim89

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: vettim89

Are you sure about that? According to at least two sources, many of the solid nose J's were field modifications, at least on those delivered first in the queue.

Of course, I could always claim this is 1943(b)

No J was a production version. That said, I was wrong. The -J did not carry the 75 mm Cannon (G&H did). The -J's were about 50%/50% solid nose/glass canopy. So Yosarian was just as likely to have a barbardier as not. To quote the late Ed McMahon, "You are correct, sir!"

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

Post #: 3293
State and Sacramento - 6/25/2009 3:58:45 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: tabpub

Hey, Mandrake; I found some Aussies from this Division in the SF brig. They got into a ruckus on Fisherman's Wharf or something...least, that's what the SP's said from the hospital....

I thought you were confabulating.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 3294
RE: State and Sacramento - 6/25/2009 4:16:49 AM   
Cap Mandrake

*****Corner of State and Sacramento Streets, Chinatown, San Francisco, 23:20, July 1, 1943*****

An eerie blue light fades. In its wake a very strange sight is revealed. Many hundreds, perhaps a thousand, soldiers in khaki shorts occupy the corner of State and Sacramento Streets. Most are supine, moaning, unable to right themselves. A few are actually on the tiled roofs of the nearby buidlings. Dozens of antitank guns and mortars lie about. A dozen or two of the soldiers struggle to their feet and promptly vomit. Another two dozen seem strangely unaffected by the mass malady. They are chronic inebriates, inured to the "whirleys".

A 17 year old Chinese American, Hop Sing IV, emerges from his family's restaurant, proudly wearing his eagle scout uniform with a new "civil defence" badge. He stops abruptly at the curious sight in the street. Nearby, an Aussie Master Sargeant attempts to rally his ambulatory colleagues. "It a Jap psyops thing lads...there is one now..GET HIM!"

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 6/25/2009 4:37:40 AM >

Post #: 3295
RE: State and Sacramento - 6/25/2009 11:38:07 AM   
Terminus

Seems a bit much to bring mortars and AT guns to a simple street brawl...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 3296
RE: State and Sacramento - 6/25/2009 12:47:39 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

It would give them a bit of an advantage... "if you are in a fair fight, you aren't doing it right!"

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3297
RE: State and Sacramento - 6/25/2009 12:51:01 PM   
FOW

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

It would give them a bit of an advantage... "if you are in a fair fight, you aren't doing it right!"

Given that nearly all the devices are disabled they must have dismantled them to use as improvised weapons - there's no baseball bats, crowbars or bike chains where they came from.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 3298
RE: State and Sacramento - 6/25/2009 3:31:22 PM   
HMS Resolution

"Crikey! It's those stinking Jets! Fire mission!"

(in reply to FOW)
Post #: 3299
RE: State and Sacramento - 6/26/2009 8:46:32 AM   
tabpub

quote:

I thought you were confabulating

Um....since the divorce I have't done that....

Sing to the tune of "Man on the Flying Trapeze"
..Oh! We fly o'er the treetops with inches to spare,
There's smoke in the cockpit and gray in my hair.
The tracers look fine as a strafin' we go.
But, brother, we're TOO God damn low...

Post #: 3300
Page:   <<   < prev  108 109 [110] 111 112   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Mindoro Page: <<   < prev  108 109 [110] 111 112   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI