Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Odd endurance, movement, and refueling behavior or just me not getting it

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support >> Odd endurance, movement, and refueling behavior or just me not getting it Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Odd endurance, movement, and refueling behavior or just... - 5/29/2002 10:13:41 PM   
11Bravo

Hello.

There is some behavior concerning moving a task force that I don't understand. I apologize for the long rambling post...

Started up scenerio 6 Operation Mo and selected TF203 in Brisbane to learn about TF movement.

Set destination hex to Cairns (~32 hexes away), don't remember about the react, retire settings. Anyway, I noticed the move settings give 12/5, which is max speed/cruise speed in hexes. I also note the endurance amounts, which should burn off at about 30 per hex at cruise, and at 180/hex at max speed. Execute the orders.

The first day the TF moves 16 hexes up north. The second day it moves another 16 hexes. I don't let it into Cairns. I just park it one hex shy with partrol/don't retire and don't react to enemy.

First observation: The TF moves farther than it should be allowed by the TF information screen's move 12/5 information. It moved 16 hexes, not 12. Also, why hurry? Why not move at cruise (5 hexes) and save the max speed for when it matters? If max speed is 12 hexes, what shall we call 16? ;)

Second observations: The endurance was burning off at a TF average of 235/hex. This is the total endurance expended divided by the 32 hexeds moved. At max speed, you would expect about 180/hex. By the way, this task force has 2CA, 1CL, 2DD.

Now I move it 1 hex into Cairns. It auto docks. It may have done some refueling. I click refuel from port and the DD's use up 150 OP's.

Third observation: All the ships save 1 have topped off their endurance to similar values at the beginning of the scenerio. Good. But 1 ship, the CA Australia (always those Aussies!) "refuels" the endurance up to 10604. It started at 13,250. Maybe the scenerio editor gave it too much at the beginning?

Now I stay at the port a few days, undocking, docking, refuel from port, just to see what happens. The endurance levels stay roughly the same, but the DD's always expend OP points, ~150.

Fourth observation. Why are OP points expended for just some of the ships, for a task that isn't taking place? If the DD's endurance is topped off, why is that taking 15% of a day, every day, when the number is not budging?

Now I head back to Brisbane. I again note the movement is 12/5, but I'm used to those 16 hex sprints. First day out of Cairns, the TF moves 24 hexes. :eek: A lot of endurance was burned off in that race.

Fifth observation: Actual TF movement seems unrelated to the movement parameters.

I hope this is useful to somebody. I am still trying to learn this game. Not sure if any of this is a bug, or just my incomplete understanding.

I will poke this a little more and see what I learn. My next thought is to transfer out some ship types and see what happens. That, and reread the manual. :)

Squatting in the bush and marking it on a map.
Post #: 1
Aha! - 5/29/2002 10:39:13 PM   
11Bravo

One mystery is solved. The move information in the task force and ship information screens is for 12 hour periods. Thus, a task force which has a move of 12/6 can cruise 6 hexes in 12 hours, or cruise 12 hexes in a complete day, or max speed of 24 in a whole day. Scratch observations 1 and 5.

The movements I observed above ranged from 16 to 24 for whole days periods, which means the task force was always doing some max speed stuff sometime during the turn.

OK, making some progress understanding this...I wonder why the task force commander did all that max speed stuff? Maybe he has a girlfriend in port?:D Maybe that's what commander's discretion is about.

(in reply to 11Bravo)
Post #: 2
Pretty much figured it out now - 5/29/2002 11:49:46 PM   
11Bravo

Looks like the odd sprinting behavior was caused by the retirement setting. Retirement allowed causes sprints to the destination hex if within 25 hexes and sprints away when leaving.

Also, the Australia not refueling back up to her max endurance was either a function of Cairn's port size, Australia's system damage or both. She refueled up to max endurance back in Brisbane. :)

That leaves the DD's incurring op points for refueling, while the other ships don't incur them, at least for very small levels of refueling. This sounds more like a feature of DD's than a bug to me.

As far as the burn rate of endurance for a task force, I got it fighured out for a ship, but it seems more complex for a whole task force.

Anyway, I think I got a good enough handle on this now.

Also, some more interface oddities were found:

You can escape out of most messages. But when I escape out of the weather report at the beginning of a turn, I lose the ability to scroll the tactical map using my mouse. I must click on the strategic map in the lower right corner to regain mouse scrolling behavior again.

Bye for now.

(in reply to 11Bravo)
Post #: 3
- 5/30/2002 1:02:57 AM   
11Bravo

Ahhhhhh....

Escaping out of that weather report causes some other window to get the "focus". Clicking anywhere in the strategic map window gives it back its focus, and then it responds to the mouse pointer messages, and scrolling works again.

Something to do with what windows get focus after escaping from other windows. Really.

(in reply to 11Bravo)
Post #: 4
Internal Monologue - 5/30/2002 2:50:05 AM   
Jason629

Love this thread 11Bravo. Reads like a patient sitting on a shrinks couch working through all of his problems. On a side note, those range factors provided me with a confused look before I learned to multiply them by two for the total day phase.

(in reply to 11Bravo)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support >> Odd endurance, movement, and refueling behavior or just me not getting it Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI