Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 23 June

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: 23 June Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 23 June - 6/24/2009 10:03:28 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmscho
Can anyone at Matrix keep the queue happy, while we wait for the team to finish their work?

Please, PLEASE read my replies above.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to jmscho)
Post #: 61
RE: 23 June - 6/24/2009 10:11:38 PM   
Lützow

Thank you for clarify this, Erik.

(in reply to jmscho)
Post #: 62
RE: 23 June - 6/24/2009 10:30:37 PM   
Akos Gergely

quote:

hen we're prepared to post a release date and final pricing, we will. All I will say now is that a July release is the date we are aiming for and we are currently working with the AE team on a release candidate. The manuals are on the boat and depending on when they arrive in our warehouses (which we'll know more about as time goes on) will allow us to know when the release date will be exactly (yes, we don't know for certain yet either).

Wohoooo That's what we all wanted to hear ;) Could we please get a weekly update on things like this , just a sentence...it really keeps the spirit alive

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 63
RE: 23 June - 6/24/2009 10:45:03 PM   
Erik Rutins

Let me promise this, if at any point it looks like the release _won't_ be in July, I will let you all know. Otherwise you can assume that we are still on target for a July release and that we'll know the exact date when the manuals arrive.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Akos Gergely)
Post #: 64
RE: 23 June - 6/24/2009 10:49:51 PM   
tondern

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogueusmc

'sides, he's from Vermont...anyone know anyone evil who came from Vermont?

Yeah, but what part of Vermont? Some of those people living way up in the hills and heating with wood stoves, putting maple syrup on their mashed potatoes - they can be kinda scary. How do we know Erik is not one of THEM? I think we should tread lightly . . .

Yours,
Johnny

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 65
RE: 23 June - 6/24/2009 10:52:35 PM   
vettim89

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

When we're prepared to post a release date and final pricing, we will. All I will say now is that a July release is the date we are aiming for and we are currently working with the AE team on a release candidate. The manuals are on the boat and depending on when they arrive in our warehouses (which we'll know more about as time goes on) will allow us to know when the release date will be exactly (yes, we don't know for certain yet either).

The only way that we would miss July is if Customs decided for some reason to sit on the manuals for a few weeks. Nothing in the actual game development/release candidate/gold master process looks like it is going to need more time than that.

This is mostly tongue in cheek but .................. Buy American!

Customs?! We don't need no stinking customs! If they put them on lock down let us know. I am sure we can arrange an angry mob with pitchforks and torches to "convince" U.S. Customs to release them

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

Post #: 66
RE: 23 June - 6/24/2009 10:54:49 PM   
TR Shrum

Did I miss something?  "The Manual is on the boat?"  "As long as Customs doesn't set on the game"?  Is this Product not being produced in the US of A?  Just curious.

(in reply to tondern)
Post #: 67
RE: 23 June - 6/24/2009 10:54:59 PM   
Terminus

It's cheaper in China, and (in some cases) better quality.

If any of you guys know of a company called Avalanche Press (makes board wargames), they've sometimes told on their website of how they were much more satisfied with the products and services they got back from China than the commensurate domestic stuff. Way of the world...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 68
RE: 23 June - 6/24/2009 11:02:18 PM   
rroberson

quote:

ORIGINAL: csatahajos

Yeah I can agree with that, a sort of developers diary or something like that would be nice to give us some official update regularly on what's going on in the background. We can live with the delays somewhat easier if we know what's going on.

Last time Erik mentioned a possible manual printing issue, but he said it can only delay things for weeks, not months on (that meant latest mid-end July), so I hope T's end of summer (Aug-Sept) is really just a wild estimate and not close to reality :(...

RRoberson: to be honest an exact price isn't that important. They said on many occasions that it will be less than the original WitP but not much less, so that gives you a rough idea IMHO (I'd say between 40-50 USD)

The price isn't important...to you...for some of us its very important since we have a limited gaming budget. I set aside some of my wealth last summer when we hearing that it was this close to release (and promptly did not). My issues were as I originally stated. Its the last week of June, and for a July release, there wasn't a lot of info coming from the people who are releasing the game. AARs from bug stompers is not the information I was looking for.

(in reply to Akos Gergely)
Post #: 69
RE: 23 June - 6/24/2009 11:09:20 PM   
SuluSea

quote:

You guys are unbelievable. I understand the frustration and anticipation, but seriously... Question posted yesterday, official answer today, everyone's already figured out for themselves in the meantime that no one will answer and that it's now delayed until September. We have been on target for the projected release timeframe for months now. Another clue, if you don't hear it from me, it's not official as far as Matrix is concerned.

Regards,

- Erik

Thanks for the news Erik,

I read the artwork, AI was still being worked on , a bug cropped up and so on the last few weeks and assumed you guys were having issues.
My sincerest apology for any ill feelings my opinion may have caused to you and the rest of the staff .

I still have enough in the piggy bank for AE, a map and some other goodies from Matrix.

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

Post #: 70
RE: 23 June - 6/24/2009 11:14:04 PM   
rroberson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: rroberson
Well this wasn't really directed at you guys. I respect the work you are doing and would kill to have the kind of skills you guys have to make toys for guys like me. I understand the corporate types run the show and it was directed at them. Seems like an awful lot of zero to no buzz for a game that could be out as soon as july. I keep putting off starting games because I keep hearing its close. Something I have heard for many many months. I'm just looking for the straight skinny.

<shakes head>

Look, I posted just a couple of weeks ago saying we were probably looking at a July release based on the timeline of the printed manuals. For the last two months there has been constant AAR activity from the test team here as well as about a quarter of the manual being posted as a free preview. This to you constitutes "zero to no buzz"? Wow.

I also gave a very narrow ballpark for the price (less than WITP but not by much). I also said that delays at this point would be weeks or days, not months.

When we're prepared to post a release date and final pricing, we will. All I will say now is that a July release is the date we are aiming for and we are currently working with the AE team on a release candidate. The manuals are on the boat and depending on when they arrive in our warehouses (which we'll know more about as time goes on) will allow us to know when the release date will be exactly (yes, we don't know for certain yet either).

The only way that we would miss July is if Customs decided for some reason to sit on the manuals for a few weeks. Nothing in the actual game development/release candidate/gold master process looks like it is going to need more time than that.

Oh and for the record, there are no "corporate types" at Matrix, at least in the way people usually intend that particular phrase to be taken as something other than a compliment. We are all wargamers and heavily engaged in the games we publish.

Regards,

- Erik

Yes you did, and I remember the teeth gnashing (being one of the teeth gnashers) regarding delaying a game for a printed manual most of us will read only after playing for a couple of weeks.

As far as the pricing...I don't get the decision...and I am voicing that. I do have limited gaming dollars and do have to actually "plan" gaming purchases. I won't lie, I'm not real thrilled with the idea of having to pay full price for what is a mod of a game (which you are requiring to have us installed on our drives) which I paid full price for four years ago (and 70 bucks was damn pricey for a game at the time) but I will pluck down my CC just like I always do because I do like this era of warfare a great deal. And volume one has more then paid off through the years.

Erik, you are one of the corporate types... Your hobby might be wargaming but your job is to make Matrix money. I have seen you on more then one board defending various matrix products. Don't sell your self short you are very good at what you do.

Thank you for answering my original question.

Post #: 71
RE: 23 June - 6/24/2009 11:34:48 PM   
TR Shrum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

It's cheaper in China, and (in some cases) better quality.

If any of you guys know of a company called Avalanche Press (makes board wargames), they've sometimes told on their website of how they were much more satisfied with the products and services they got back from China than the commensurate domestic stuff. Way of the world...

Printed in China, not local. Now I'm beginning to understand...

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 72
RE: 23 June - 6/24/2009 11:37:57 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: TR Shrum
Did I miss something?  "The Manual is on the boat?"  "As long as Customs doesn't set on the game"?  Is this Product not being produced in the US of A?  Just curious.

That's an interesting question actually. I think many of our games are quite reflective of the global economy, though we are a US company with most of our core staff in the US. Let me see...

The manual was written all over the world, edited in the USA, layout was done in Germany, printing was done in China (sorry, but printing a 330 page full color manual in the US was simply beyond our budget, we do print all our grayscale manuals in the US though). The game itself was created with the work and support of people from all over the world who are on the AE team, with the US having the largest contingent, closely followed I believe by Australia and Europe. The project was managed from and the servers for it hosted in the USA. The warehouses where the product will be assembled and shipped are in the US and in the UK, with your shipment origin depending on where in the world you ask us to ship to. And so on...

But the manuals are the only piece of the puzzle that actually requires things like sea shipment and customs.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 6/24/2009 11:38:08 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to TR Shrum)
Post #: 73
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 12:01:48 AM   
Crimguy

I got a card and a car charger for my iphone. Kinda sucks.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Graycompany

I kinda did to. I got ripped off for Fathers day, I told the family that is what I wanted, and so all I got was a card and a steak dinner

(in reply to Graycompany)
Post #: 74
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 12:45:26 AM   
treespider

quote:

I won't lie, I'm not real thrilled with the idea of having to pay full price for what is a mod of a game (which you are requiring to have us installed on our drives) which I paid full price for four years ago (and 70 bucks was damn pricey for a game at the time) but I will pluck down my CC just like I always do because I do like this era of warfare a great deal. And volume one has more then paid off through the years.

AE is not just a mod. IMO its a very similar to WitP but it is not simply a database change, like all of the other mods currently available. Many (but not all) of the core systems have been subtley altered. New code was written which again IMO makes AE an entirely different game, albeit similar to WitP....but I would not say it is just a mod.

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 75
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 12:48:28 AM   
Zacktar

Erik:
Thanks very much for the info, and thanks to you and the entire development team for your efforts on AE.

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 76
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 1:19:28 AM   
TheOx

I, too, just got laid off so my entertainment budget has been cut almost entirely. Its a race. Whomever releases first, you or East India Company, gets my money for the forseeable future!

(in reply to Zacktar)
Post #: 77
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 1:27:55 AM   
rroberson

quote:

ORIGINAL: treespider

quote:

I won't lie, I'm not real thrilled with the idea of having to pay full price for what is a mod of a game (which you are requiring to have us installed on our drives) which I paid full price for four years ago (and 70 bucks was damn pricey for a game at the time) but I will pluck down my CC just like I always do because I do like this era of warfare a great deal. And volume one has more then paid off through the years.

AE is not just a mod. IMO its a very similar to WitP but it is not simply a database change, like all of the other mods currently available. Many (but not all) of the core systems have been subtley altered. New code was written which again IMO makes AE an entirely different game, albeit similar to WitP....but I would not say it is just a mod.

Then why the requirement to have Vanilla WITP installed? (And perhaps I joined the AE forums late and missed this conversation) seems like to me if you are requiring Vanilla (70 dollars) and AE (Erik has now stated could be as much as 70 dollars) thats a lot of dollars for the new guy who is showing up in the forums ...tomorrow...to spend to play the game. So either its a mod, or it is not? But if it isn't then why do I need Vanilla installed?

Sorry I am ruffled today about this and going on and on today, these are just things that have been on my mind lately regarding WITP.

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 78
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 1:31:50 AM   
tigercub

second that!

Tiger!

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

(in reply to Zacktar)
Post #: 79
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 2:21:33 AM   
jwilkerson

The manuals are literally "on the boat".

Some of you have probably heard of the song "Slow Boat to China" ... well we joke that our manuals are one the "Slow Boat from China". But it is actually not a joke - it is the literal truth - truth is stranger than fiction!!!

But the good news - is that at least the manuals are finally ON THE BOAT! Now what about those port loading routines Don - is there enough capacity to load all the manuals before the end of the month? When will the boat actually sail!!!

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to tigercub)
Post #: 80
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 2:58:33 AM   
AW1Steve

On A Slow Boat to China

Music and Lyrics by Frank Loesser

I’d love to get you
On a slow boat to China,
All to my self alone.
Get you to keep you in my arms evermore,
Leave all your lovers (lovelies)
Weeping on the faraway shore.
Out on the briny
With the moon big and shinny,
Melting your heart of stone.
I’d love to get you
On a slow boat to China,
All to my self alone.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 81
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 3:03:44 AM   
wgs_explorer

Be thankful you're not getting the manuals printed in the middle east! You'd be waiting for the container X-ray exams (maybe an additional couple of weeks!) and who knows what else!

Bill

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 82
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 3:05:29 AM   
mbatch729

Are we there yet? No.
Are we there yet? No.
Are we there yet? I'll let you know when we're getting close.
Are we there yet? Didn't I just tell you I'd let you know?!?!
Are we there yet? NNNOOOO!!!!
Are we there yet? NO! NOW QUIT ASKING!!!
Are we there yet? NO! NOW SHUT UP!!!!

Dad, I have to go to the bathroom....

(Yes, I have kids. Can you tell????)

Later,
FC3(SW) Batch
USS Iowa

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 83
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 3:06:40 AM   
OldCoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: wgs_explorer

Be thankful you're not getting the manuals printed in the middle east! You'd be waiting for the container X-ray exams (maybe an additional couple of weeks!) and who knows what else!

Bill

Not to mention the Somali pirates.

(in reply to wgs_explorer)
Post #: 84
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 5:17:17 AM   
LST Express

I hope "that boat" has better escorts than my damn cv's do!

(in reply to OldCoot)
Post #: 85
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 5:56:24 AM   
jmscho

quote:

Please, PLEASE read my replies above.

Sorry Erik, I was composing my message before your replies, above, were posted.

Post #: 86
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 6:23:05 AM   
Gunner98

It would be classic irony if the boat was a Japanese flagged carrier.

Hay could we find out the name of the boat and put it in the database - perhaps as its own 'side'. If sunk both sides lose.

B

(in reply to jmscho)
Post #: 87
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 7:20:13 AM   
Yamato hugger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crimguy

I got a card and a car charger for my iphone. Kinda sucks.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Graycompany

I kinda did to. I got ripped off for Fathers day, I told the family that is what I wanted, and so all I got was a card and a steak dinner

I got a kiss and a "Happy Fathers Day" from the wife and was quite content with that.

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 88
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 7:21:32 AM   
Akos Gergely

Rob,

you misunderstood me. Price does matter for me as well but I've said 'exact price'. Since we know the original price of WitP and that it will be somewhat less gives it away pretty much. For me that means that it will certainly be under 70 bucks, most probably less than 60. Is it pricey? Yes. Does it worth it? It seems at the moment it does indeed.

Then I don't see any point in teasing the Matrix staff if it's going to cost 56 or 61 bucks...you stated yourself a couple of times that your credit card is ready, so even for those who are on limited budget 5 dollars difference would not change anything.

< Message edited by csatahajos -- 6/25/2009 8:00:29 AM >

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 89
RE: 23 June - 6/25/2009 7:25:22 AM   
tigercub

you got a boat go pick up the Manuals!

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: 23 June Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI