Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rookie questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> Rookie questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rookie questions - 6/27/2009 12:32:57 AM   
GrouchyXe

Dear all,

I am a new COG player and I want first to say that this game looks really nice, there are few game with both strategic and tactic parts, this one has a lot of depth in term of concept and a lot of attention to many details. SO a big thanks to all developers to what looks like a major achievements.

However the start is a bit difficult for a newcomer. I have just the game from a couple of hours and I already had two very short nights… So sorry if some questions are stupid.. So I have some question and I would be happy to have some feedback from veteran guys here would be very helpful.

I started with France in 1792 campaign, it is a real challenge… I have war with many people and I try survive…

1) Generals

Has the number of stars of a leader any impact on the game ? My assumption so far would be no…

2) Cavalry reserve?

One of Napoleon best innovation was to create a cavalry reserve (under Murat for glory days) which was a group of line and heavy cavalry corps (dragoons, cuirassiers, carabiniers). That mass of cavalry was used as a choc arm and not for reconnaissance, flank/back guard or screen (which were more under the responsibility of each corps light cavalry division (each corps had at least one light cavalry division attached). The most famous was Eylau but also Borodino.

It seems that the size of cavalry units in COG is oversized for cavalry because a cavalry corps was between 3000 and 4000 and in COG it is the size of a division. So I have temptation to split cavalry division but I have seen that infantery units with less than 4k are penalised (they have to succeed a test), so what about cavalry?

Furthermore cavalry units IMO take too much time to re-organise after a charge, what are factor that could help me to reorganise cavalry after charge faster?

In the end do you think (considering resource expense) that creating a cavalry reserve is a good strategy?

3) Supply

How can I be sure to get supply in each battles ?

4) Army organisation

I have the draft pool well, but how are my regiments casualties replaced ? I mean is automatically draft pool attached to the armies with the province development screen parameter.
I mean how are my regiment fed by new troops ? I guess it is automatic however…

5) Depot

If I am correct game manual says that depot have some expenses relative to its production and then maintenance. Well so what is the added value of a depot ? because when troops fourgae you don’t need depot and you don’t have to pay for it.

6) Economy:

How can I improve the upgrade total for my nation ?
There is something strange with labor. I have more or less retired all labor in each provinces, but I still have the same fix labor improvement each round… Whats wrong , How can I improve labor production ?

Post #: 1
RE: Rookie questions - 6/27/2009 12:57:40 AM   
evwalt

GrouchyXe

Welcome! As a relative newcomer myself (only had the game a week), I had a hard time getting use to things. Once I picked it up, it went relatively fast. (though one of the old hands can correct me if I am wrong).

1) Generals and stars. Generals affect the units in certain size "containers" (except see below) There are 3 types of containers, Fleets, Armies and Corps. Generals affect only Armies and Corps. A 4 star can give his benefits to ALL containers in his area (think country leader like Napoleon). A 3 star benefits ONLY the container he is in (ie. an army commander). A 2 star is a corps commander (benefits only his corps) while a 1 star benefits a single division (ie. unit) within a container. A general can NOT command higher than his rank (ie. put a 2 star corps commander in an army and he does NOTHING). BTW: you can assign corps to an army and I THINK gives that units in the corps the benefits of both his corps AND army commander.

2) Cavalry reserve. It DOES take a long time to reform cavalry during a battle, but I believe that is historic. I'm not sure about forming a cavalry reserve.

3)Supply. Are you talking about tactical battles? If so, you should start out with a limited number of supply wagons for your army. Upgrades can give you more.

4)Army Organization. Draft pool IS automatic IF you are in supply. You can see which units get how many troops by going to the reports under SUPPLY.

5) Depots. The only way you get replacements (ie. above) if in supply (ie. have a depot). NOTE: the depot rules have changed during the update....

6) Economy. Simple or advanced? Not sure on simple, I jumped in on advanced. On advanced, most labor is awarded by the number of "men" in an area but you can improve on it with the sliders. You can also improve it by building factories or growing the number of men (extra food eventually allows the growth of men).

Upgrades: you get certain experience points for fighting land battles and sea battles. You also get an amount each turn from barracks and docks.

Welcome to the game! I am trying to start a new PBEM in the opponents wanted section (my first pbem). I am sure you aren't ready yet, but keep us in mind! I'll also try to answer any other questions for you if I can.

(in reply to GrouchyXe)
Post #: 2
RE: Rookie questions - 6/27/2009 1:44:03 AM   
Dab

3)Supply. If you are in a province with a depot or in a province next to a province with a depot - you are in supply.

Depots have to be connected to supply source (cities with circles around the fortress) with a chain of depots.

4)Army Organization.

You can also replenish units manually by going to the Military Screen and moving troops around from one unit to another. The units have to be in the same province to do this.
They also must be the exact same type of units - you cannot transfer cavalry troops to infanttry, or light infantry to infantry for example.

So if you have 3 infantry units with 6000 men each, you can combine them to become 2 units of 9000 men each. This also releases one unit from your mobilization limit which you will have fun dealing with later.

This is a much faster way to replenish armies which are needed urgently at the front than waiting for the automatic replacements.

5) Depots. The only way you get replacements (ie. above) if in supply (ie. have a depot). NOTE: the depot rules have changed during the update....

Upgrades: On your military screen it shows you how many upgrade points you will receive each 3 months. Barracks for land upgrades and docks for naval.

Also note that these points can be spent to upgrade individual units as well as national upgrades.

To upgrade a unit individually, click on the division in question and you can select one of the black boxes in the unit description and a list of possible upgrades will pop up which you can apply to the unit.

< Message edited by Dab -- 6/27/2009 1:45:56 AM >

(in reply to evwalt)
Post #: 3
RE: Rookie questions - 6/27/2009 4:48:50 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: GrouchyXe
2) what are factor that could help me to reorganise cavalry after charge faster?

5) Depot

If I am correct game manual says that depot have some expenses relative to its production and then maintenance. Well so what is the added value of a depot ? because when troops fourgae you don’t need depot and you don’t have to pay for it.

2. Move your cav away from threathened areas (yellow hexes) and into friendly hexes, this increases the chance for success (however not by alot), and wait for nightfall which helps as well.

5. True, but when you start moving around with huge armies (150-300.000 men) you will lose ALOT of forces if they are set to forage as each province usually can supply something like 30-60.000 men.

Terje

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to GrouchyXe)
Post #: 4
RE: Rookie questions - 6/27/2009 5:55:46 AM   
Mus

I think in the manual it says something to the effect that a cavalry "division" isnt really 10,000 men.  That 10,000 figure represents total strength in men mounts and remounts, effectively 3-4x the actual strength in troopers.

Mindset, Tactics, Skill, Equipment
Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 5
RE: Rookie questions - 6/27/2009 2:26:42 PM   
GrouchyXe

Thanks guys,

I play adavanced economy, and yes I would like to play multi player games, through i am not sure of PBEM because battles are resolved instantly rather than detailled.

(in reply to Mus)
Post #: 6
RE: Rookie questions - 6/27/2009 2:51:48 PM   
Hard Sarge

reforming Cav, well, one thing, remember it is a die roll, so alot of times, it is luck, more then skill, when it happens

but you can also help it along some, as was said, move into the right areas will help, also, if you can, try to get out of sight of the enemy, that also helps your chances

exp, skill and morale will help, also some of the upgrades

I think Leaders can help some, in keeping them formed and reforming, but, can't overlly prove it

also watch with Chargeing with a leader, they have bonuses and all, but also have a chance to get killed, nothing worse then losing a good leader while chargeing a routed unit

also, remember that alot of times, the threat of the Cav is more importent then the charge, so the use of cav is more timing, then just do it since you can, you can win a battle if the timing is right, you can lose a battle since all your cav is burned up

also, remember, too much Cav in a battle is almost as bad as not enough

Cav really works best as part of a combined Arms approuch

(in reply to GrouchyXe)
Post #: 7
RE: Rookie questions - 6/27/2009 3:39:56 PM   
morganbj

I've found that a decent leader will almost always increase a cavalry unit's chance to reform by 10%.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 8
RE: Rookie questions - 6/27/2009 5:15:00 PM   
GrouchyXe

Ok thanks

quote:

also watch with Chargeing with a leader, they have bonuses and all, but also have a chance to get killed, nothing worse then losing a good leader while chargeing a routed unit

Famous general Lasalle was killed as such at Wagram 1809, we are getting close to the 200th birhday of that battle.

quote:

remember, too much Cav in a battle is almost as bad as not enough

On naapoleonic wars cavalery was a reconaissance (ligth cav) but also a choc troop (heavy). Borodino and Eylau are two battles in which cavalery had a big part in the final outcome.

If it takes too much time (4/5/6 rounds to re organise) it is too much to be used at such.

On napoleonic war the reserve cavalry was around 20,000 strength and was used to be a charge troup during a battle.

I try to wonder if it makes sense to do it in COG, my feeling looking at how difficult it is to get back from disorder is no.

Another question, I have noticed an unrest red note on map after I took a province, what does it means ?

< Message edited by GrouchyXe -- 6/27/2009 5:19:10 PM >

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 9
RE: Rookie questions - 6/27/2009 5:33:28 PM   
evwalt

For multiplayer play, the battles are resolved instantly. I think that would be more than made up for by the diplomacy interactions with the other players.

Of course, since I have yet to be in a PBEM game, that is hard to say...

(in reply to GrouchyXe)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> Rookie questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI