Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Fine Tuned mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge >> Mods >> RE: The Fine Tuned mod Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 6/9/2009 6:16:26 AM   
Foraven

Darn, i ran in a major bug and can't find how to solve it. Sorry guys, i will have to delay it yet another few hours. I'm going to sleep and try again once i can. I really hope it's the last delay.

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 91
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 6/9/2009 8:06:14 AM   
TodeswolF

just relax buddy!

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 92
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 6/9/2009 6:44:04 PM   
Foraven

It's done, the bugs have been rooted and the mod is ready to send. Just need to upload it somewhere, won't be too long... 

It's here : look at the first post, the link is there.

Note : i deleted all the older files i posted so no one install them by mistakes.

< Message edited by Foraven -- 6/9/2009 7:02:18 PM >

(in reply to TodeswolF)
Post #: 93
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 6/10/2009 1:04:04 AM   
Foraven

I believe i will require some help. I'm currently testing my mod and there seem to be still a few bugs to root out. I thought i had fixed them but it seem some missions don't properly work, or they do and i'm mistaken. I just entered the trainstation and there is no guards. I never played the game through before modding it so i'm not sure if they appear after i do something or they are supposed to be there... Anyway, i guess i will spend the next few days fixing the remaining problems before attempting to add anything else... Such is the joy of modding :P.

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 94
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 6/10/2009 2:07:17 AM   
Foraven

I just confirmed it, some of my mission files are corrupted. I will fix them and resend the mod under v1.5a. Still, you can try the mod but not all maps will work properly. I should be done fixing tomorrow.

Note to thoses modding the game. It's not because you can open a file with a program it's the right program for that file. What i mean is some files need to remain in their format so the game read them properly. Some program alter the file format to add certain features that may be useful, in other circumstances, but just wreak the game instead. Use only excel 2003 for xml files (2007 may work but may alter file format), notepad or decoda (or similar coding programs) for lua files and notepad for the rest (don't use wordpad or any more advanced software, it will corrupt your files). Let's say that i wasted several hours doing modding only to have to redo a large chunk of it because of that silliness.

< Message edited by Foraven -- 6/10/2009 4:47:08 AM >

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 95
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 6/10/2009 6:37:45 AM   
mantsa

We salute you o' great modder!
Thank you for the new rifles!

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 96
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 6/10/2009 5:45:58 PM   
Foraven

quote:

ORIGINAL: mantsa

We salute you o' great modder!
Thank you for the new rifles!

Glad you like them. For sure i will keep on adding :).

(in reply to mantsa)
Post #: 97
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 6/10/2009 10:03:26 PM   
Foraven

I fixed the bug, i will upload the fixed mod shortly.

Edit : New version is up. It's smaller and work better .

< Message edited by Foraven -- 6/10/2009 10:36:39 PM >

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 98
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 6/11/2009 2:56:59 AM   
xenten

I registered on this forum for the sole purpose of thanking you for this mod, sir.

Thank you. Very much. Dynamite job.

Take care,

-XT

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 99
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 6/11/2009 3:05:36 PM   
Foraven

quote:

ORIGINAL: xenten

I registered on this forum for the sole purpose of thanking you for this mod, sir.

Thank you. Very much. Dynamite job.

Take care,

-XT

Thanks. I guess you will enjoy the next version since i plan on adding several new head gears, most likely a few extra skins too. I will probably attempt to add a few lines to the AI also (i played against it on several maps and found it lacking when obstructions/buildings are present).

< Message edited by Foraven -- 6/11/2009 6:50:46 PM >

(in reply to xenten)
Post #: 100
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 6/11/2009 3:29:32 PM   
S910

As a player from Asia, I also registered on this forum to thank you for making those great mods.

Cheers!

-KC

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 101
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 6/12/2009 6:12:56 AM   
Foraven

New features for the next version :

-Several new head gears
-Several new body armor and helmets
-New tangos skins
-Improvement to how AI pick targets based on how many allies already attack that target (this will require some work)

I'm currently checking on infos about body armor so i can add meaningful variants to vest in the game. I always thought spectra was a fictive name for body armor, but seem i was mistaken, it really does exist, and i will add them in the next version (of course, higher price and available later in game). There will be also conceilable variant of body armor,  they will offer the least protection though. There will be also different garde of helmets. 

As for the AI, i'm looking through functions i did not experiment with before to see if i can make some tactical improvement to the AI. I will also rework it's tendency to switch to melee when too far to actually reach the target (i did mess with that before by had to remove the changes due to bugs). Anyway, the AI is currently better than stock, but i'm not too satisfied with how it handle combat, especially when buildings are involved.

(in reply to S910)
Post #: 102
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 6/12/2009 1:50:51 PM   
Foraven

I just added a note in the first post about using old save game with this mod : do not use old save games, they may cause crashes, especially the ones started with older version of this mod. It's unfortunate but older save games will become unstable, if not unplayable. Besides, if you do not start a fresh game many of the new weapons and ammos may not show up in the game.

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 103
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 6/12/2009 5:43:17 PM   
Foraven

V1.5b is up. It's just a minor fix, it should not mess your save games if you started a game under v1.5/v1.5a.

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 104
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 6/17/2009 9:38:11 PM   
Foraven

Anyone has bugs or glitches to report? 

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 105
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 6/18/2009 12:13:43 AM   
Reinforce

Nothing yet. Beyond this game hates window mode but thats not your mods fault. :P

Keep up the good work.

Much love,
Reinforce

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 106
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 6/18/2009 2:09:35 AM   
xeryx

I have installed your mod, and will probaly test it for a little bit, but since I haven't played the 'vanilla" version, I do not know what is broken in the game itself.

Fixing BUGS is of the highest priority, at least for me. I hope they will do more patching???

I have a couple of questions, because the First post is a little vague. Is this version 1.5b designed for the 1.08 patch and was there a filecompare done?

If I ever decide to start a mod..can I use your material, as a base?

Also, I haven't touched LUA before, but was wondering how your experience was so far? Do you find it better than .xml?

It sure looks like you have done quite a bit of work already! Good JOB!!

xeryx

< Message edited by xeryx -- 6/18/2009 5:52:27 AM >

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 107
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 6/18/2009 7:05:38 AM   
Corbin Dallas

Hi!

i came across the following "bug":

i installed a plain version of Hired guns took the files in the mod folder and copy&pasted them simply to my game folder, so they overwrote some of the basis files.
When i started the game, i could fight the first sector just as normal as usual, the safari park was also no problem, but each and every sector thereafter i entered, there were no enemies and i took over control instantly, which was sort of nice because i came very fast to the ending sequence but was a little bit unsatisfiying concerning gameplay. My mercs thought it was some sort of sightseeing tour.....

Any ideas what went wrong?

Ralf!"

(in reply to xeryx)
Post #: 108
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 6/18/2009 12:39:44 PM   
Foraven

quote:

ORIGINAL: xeryx

I have installed your mod, and will probaly test it for a little bit, but since I haven't played the 'vanilla" version, I do not know what is broken in the game itself.

Fixing BUGS is of the highest priority, at least for me. I hope they will do more patching???

I have a couple of questions, because the First post is a little vague. Is this version 1.5b designed for the 1.08 patch and was there a filecompare done?

If I ever decide to start a mod..can I use your material, as a base?

Also, I haven't touched LUA before, but was wondering how your experience was so far? Do you find it better than .xml?

It sure looks like you have done quite a bit of work already! Good JOB!!

xeryx

I plan on patching it further until i'm sure everything i put in works. I'm still using 1.07, i haven't tested 1.08 yet. More likely than not, installing the mod and patching to 1.08 over would break the mod. I have not patched yet due to all the bug reports i seen, i did not want to have yet more bugs to track down... Of course i will have to patch and see what it does.

As for using my mod as base, i see no problem. I based mine over Reinforce and when i'm dry with ideas, someone should be able to take over. I'm not over with it yet but i don't think i will get going for months... Go ahead if you have ideas, maybe i can merge them with my official release.

Lua is different from xml. Xml is a database in Excel, lua is script best viewed and edited in notepad (or notepad ++). Every scripts in the game should be edited in notepad to avoid adding hidden characters that could mess the game (learned that the hard way).

< Message edited by Foraven -- 6/18/2009 12:41:18 PM >

(in reply to xeryx)
Post #: 109
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 6/18/2009 12:48:23 PM   
Foraven

quote:

ORIGINAL: Corbin Dallas

Hi!

i came across the following "bug":

i installed a plain version of Hired guns took the files in the mod folder and copy&pasted them simply to my game folder, so they overwrote some of the basis files.
When i started the game, i could fight the first sector just as normal as usual, the safari park was also no problem, but each and every sector thereafter i entered, there were no enemies and i took over control instantly, which was sort of nice because i came very fast to the ending sequence but was a little bit unsatisfiying concerning gameplay. My mercs thought it was some sort of sightseeing tour.....

Any ideas what went wrong?

Ralf!"

I thought i had fixed that problem. The bug is that characters fail to spawn due to a few mistakes in "spawns.lua" and especially "proxy.lua", found in campaigns/jazz dir. On my computer it seem to work properly, either you did not copy it over the file there, or you patched to 1.08 and the patch overwrote it. Of course if the problem is recurent to everyone playing, i guess i should revisit the files and check for even more glitches in them...

Edit : Of course there could be difference between the version i am running and the ones you people play. It's meant to play with the english version, localised ones may have differences i'm not aware of...

Edit 2 : There might be changes in 1.08 that screwed the files and prevented spawns... I will have to investigate.

< Message edited by Foraven -- 6/18/2009 1:02:06 PM >

(in reply to Corbin Dallas)
Post #: 110
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 6/19/2009 12:48:07 AM   
xeryx

1.08 spawns just fine, he must not have installed your mod correctly. I was still able to play with your mod installed on 1.08. However, am going to revert back to 1.08 (vanilla)and play for a while first. So, I can get a feel..for the game, they are claiming to fix many bugs, we will see. Possibly because you have a folder above the basis folder?

@ foraven: I was really asking you how your experience with modding Lua has been, do you think it is easier and such as that.

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 111
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 6/19/2009 6:53:42 PM   
Foraven

quote:

ORIGINAL: xeryx

1.08 spawns just fine, he must not have installed your mod correctly. I was still able to play with your mod installed on 1.08. However, am going to revert back to 1.08 (vanilla)and play for a while first. So, I can get a feel..for the game, they are claiming to fix many bugs, we will see. Possibly because you have a folder above the basis folder?

@ foraven: I was really asking you how your experience with modding Lua has been, do you think it is easier and such as that.

Well, they may have fixed bugs, but my mod fix gameplay . As for lua, it's a fine language, fairly easy to work with and quite crash resilient. If you make a mistake, only the function with the mistake hang, it doesn't freeze the whole game. But to edit it it's better to have some program that is meant to display code, it's easier to spot mistakes that way.

I found a small bug the other day, 2 of my custom guys don't spawn with their equipment. It's quite minor and the fix can wait until i'm done making the next version. I will work on it this week-end and most likely post something monday. For now i'm take a small break of HG.

(in reply to xeryx)
Post #: 112
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 6/22/2009 11:48:18 AM   
Foraven

I did not have time this week-end to work on the mod, and i'm moving to a new house in the next few days so i may not be able to work on it during the next week or so. Meanwhile i repacked the mod so it's easier to install, it also include the small fix to some guards that did not get their inventory on spawn. Next version will have a self-extracting file, i just did not have much time experimenting with self-extracting files yet. 

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 113
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 6/23/2009 2:51:50 AM   
Anthropoid

ADDIT: you can disrregard question two. I rechecked teh first post, and I think you must have updated it (or I missed it when I read it last week) and I see now that you clearly state it is based off of Reinforce's mod.

Hey Foraven, when you get back to the forums a couple questions for you.

First, I get the impression the latest version of your mod is compatible with the 1.08 patch?

Second, does your mod more or less build off of Reinforces, and thus includes most of her stuff plus more stuff, or what? I thought I saw someone say that your mod was hers plus additional stuff (she is a "she" right?).

< Message edited by Anthropoid -- 6/23/2009 2:55:23 AM >

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 114
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 6/23/2009 6:27:50 AM   
Foraven

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid
First, I get the impression the latest version of your mod is compatible with the 1.08 patch?

According to what i read, it works with 1.08, but i haven't checked the changes from 1.07 to 1.08 so my mod may lack some of the fixes from the patch. Once i have time to work on the mod, i will try to update my mod to 1.08. I still have some time to be online or to make quick fixes, but anything that require lots of editing and testing is out of question.

quote:

Second, does your mod more or less build off of Reinforces, and thus includes most of her stuff plus more stuff, or what? I thought I saw someone say that your mod was hers plus additional stuff (she is a "she" right?).

Yes, i started with her mod but added a lot of stuff since.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 115
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 6/27/2009 2:02:26 AM   
Anthropoid

ADDIT/CORRECTION: Oh yeah, looks like not all the folders in the basis directory are in the Fine-Tuned DL version Heh! Lessee how this works if I do it right, and (a) copy original basis, then (b) overwrite ONLY those files that are redone and paste in the new ones!

Looks like it doesn't work with 1.08. C++ Runtime error when I try to startup with the the Fine-Tune "Basis" folder in the HG folder and with the original "basis" folder named "original basis"

< Message edited by Anthropoid -- 6/27/2009 11:17:07 AM >

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 116
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 6/27/2009 11:23:00 AM   
Foraven

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

ADDIT/CORRECTION: Oh yeah, looks like not all the folders in the basis directory are in the Fine-Tuned DL version Heh! Lessee how this works if I do it right, and (a) copy original basis, then (b) overwrite ONLY those files that are redone and paste in the new ones!

Looks like it doesn't work with 1.08. C++ Runtime error when I try to startup with the the Fine-Tune "Basis" folder in the HG folder and with the original "basis" folder named "original basis"

I believe the problem is the game still read the files contained in "original basis" as well as "basis". Move your backup elsewhere or rename it something else that doesn't end by "basis". Renaming it "basis backup" might work better. It's because of the way the game seek it's files, basic renaming don't always work (did have the problem before).

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 117
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 6/27/2009 1:30:43 PM   
Anthropoid

Yep got it to work by just moving all the files in the Fine Tune "basis" folder over manually

This mod ROCKS!

Great job Foraven and Reinforce!!

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 118
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 6/27/2009 8:26:03 PM   
Foraven

It would be great though if this game had some mean to run mods without copying over anything, but i guess the game never did get that far before they decided to release.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 119
RE: The Fine Tuned mod - 6/27/2009 11:52:34 PM   
Reinforce

Could always Zip the Default Basis file like I did... but that takes up alot of room. Or install the game twince.. alot of room there too. Wonder if you could build a Mod Manager like other games have...

Much Love,
Reinforce

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge >> Mods >> RE: The Fine Tuned mod Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI