Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scenario editing for campaigns

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Scenario editing for campaigns Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scenario editing for campaigns - 10/26/2000 7:43:00 AM   
David F. Wall

I suspect I have made a grievous error, but I thought I'd get it confirmed or denied in public for the benefit of the design community. My idea for the opening of Operation Sea Lion is an amphibious assault by the Germans (I don't think that's giving much away). In any event, having dutifully absorbed everything I can find on using the scenario editor, I followed the advice of the eminent Mr. Wilder and did not use the 1/2 Beach button when putting the map together. The question is, should I have? Because I can't figure out how to get landing craft for the core German force. I can't buy them and put them in as AUX units, because you aren't allowed to load or unload AUX units during deployment. I'm not offered them when buying support units. I even conceived the notion of calling the thing a river corssing and making everyone ride in rubber boats (which was in the German plans) but it appears you have to start on land before the rubber boats will show up. There's a certain right-thinking visciousness in watching 99% of the core force drown in the English Channel, but it renders the battle somewhat anti-climactic. So, is this a case where I should've used the 1/2 beach button to start with? Are there any alternatives to starting the map from scratch? Note that I've already attempted to be tricky by beginning a fresh map as a 1/2 beach, using Fred's editor to paste terrain from the other map into that, and then doing some clean-up, but that action appears to have flipped whatever bit tells the game to cough up those landing craft. I'm sufficiently computer savvy to go in and flip bits with a hexadecimal editor, but I'd have to know which ones to flip, and knowing which ones would probably take information only someone who's got the source code could provide. Or perhaps there's an undocumented toggle, the way there's a documented one for making something a river crossing? Something that would do what the half-beach button does without rewriting the terrain? If I gotta go ahead and do it over, then I gotta go ahead and do it over, but I thought I'd pop a topic up here to see if there are any alternatives first.

Post #: 1
- 10/26/2000 9:16:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Try it if you wish, but at your own risk I would have to see the map as to figure out how to remedy this. Being the first scenario in a campaign does present problems that I haven't forseen. Your question is a very good one, David. You are right, there are no landing craft available unless you change the nation and buy them as support units. But that gets a little too complicated. The best bet, and I hate to say it, because I don't want it to create other problems for you, is to give the 1/2 beach map a try. But then it may not. I can't think of another way except putting a spit of land out in the ocean depicting a ship from which the troops would disembark. Sorry David, I did not mean to give you bad advice, and I am not sure this is the answer, but it is worth a try. I think I would experiment with it first before detailing the scenario. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games [This message has been edited by Wild Bill (edited October 25, 2000).]

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to David F. Wall)
Post #: 2
- 10/26/2000 6:25:00 PM   
David F. Wall

I don't think it was bad advice (and let's keep in mind WB does this for free, or for naught but the satisfaction of helping people out). After all, the overwhelming majority of design work in the series has been for single scenarios, and it is definitely the way to go for single scenarios. I think campaign design is only now starting to take off with the advent of SPWAW 4.0, because of the possibilities offered by the non-linear campaign. Indeed, I explicitly had in mind the notion that *not* having landing craft automatically assigned would help capture some of the flavor of my source material. WB, I'd be prepared to send you the map (or do you mean the scenario), if you wanted to look, but I would want explicit permission to do this -- it's not polite to send people binary data through e-mail unless they know it's coming. I definitely don't want to tell people they need to buy stuff out of another nation's OOB (indeed, I wouldn't be quite sure where to send them). In any event, poeple thinking about doing campaigns should take note.

Post #: 3
- 10/27/2000 4:15:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Send it on, David, either the map or the scenario. I'll be happy to take a look. I've done some more fiddling with the 1/2 Beach 1/2 ocean button and it seems finally after many versions of SP, to be working like it should. That is very good news. Of course, once you make a map 1/2 -1/2 it will always be that and will give you landing craft. That does not appear to have changed. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

Post #: 4
- 10/27/2000 4:18:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Now I have a question for you, David. When you set up your campaign and buy your core units, let me know if in the campaign it provides landing craft instantly and does it take part of your core purchase points. I'm also curious to know if they stay with you throughout the campaign. I see some possible problems after the 1st scenario of the campaign and am very interested in knowing what happens. WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Scenario editing for campaigns Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI