Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

CVE Long Island

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> CVE Long Island Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CVE Long Island - 5/30/2002 3:23:25 AM   
nerod

Can flight missions be flown from and/or recovered on the CVE Long Island? The planes on board will allow orders to be given to them for flight operations, but I don't see them happening. What's up?
Post #: 1
- 5/30/2002 3:29:08 AM   
Preacher

Nerod,

I believe that, historically, the Long Island was used as a ferry, for lack of a better term. Now, I'm not sure if that precludes being able to conduct air ops from her decks or not.

Matrix?

Preacher

(in reply to nerod)
Post #: 2
- 5/30/2002 3:39:46 AM   
worr

Seems to swallow up airgroups.

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature. :)

Worr, out

(in reply to nerod)
Post #: 3
- 5/30/2002 3:52:57 AM   
Wilhammer

In scenario 17 and the Coral Sea one, you have the option to put your P-400s in Nomuea on a ship transfer to task force 370, the Long Island.

Problem is, it ain't in theater yet.

(in reply to nerod)
Post #: 4
- 5/30/2002 9:40:36 AM   
Burch

I have had problems with the Long Island too, it does seem to swallow air groups. I loaded fighters on it and sent it with an AP TF to Gili Gili. It got sunk 2 hexes from Gili (inbound, it had not gotten there and offloaded) with the air group set at 80% and no CAP met the incoming air strike!

(in reply to nerod)
Post #: 5
- 5/30/2002 10:09:00 AM   
bradfordkay

Is it possible that you have loaded too many aircraft aboard her? I think that if you load more than 110% of a carrier's capacity she cannot perform flight operations.

(in reply to nerod)
Post #: 6
- 5/31/2002 12:35:16 AM   
Burch

I had already experienced the too many planes thing so in the above situation I had 12 planes (14 pilots). This happened to be a group from the Saratoga that had to transfer to Lunga due to damge to that ship earlier in the game.

(in reply to nerod)
Post #: 7
- 5/31/2002 1:44:49 AM   
Preacher

Hey! I finally experienced the "disappearing planes bug." For the longest time, I was using the Long Island to ferry Army fighter a/c from Brisbane up to Lunga/Luganville. Never had a problem.

However, last night, I landed a dozen stranded F4Fs on her, and POOF! They are gone. Oh well...

Tonight I'm going to edit the file and rename her the USS Bermuda Triangle. :)

Preacher

(in reply to nerod)
Post #: 8
- 5/31/2002 2:17:24 AM   
MKSheppard

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Preacher
[B]Nerod,

I believe that, historically, the Long Island was used as a ferry, for lack of a better term. Now, I'm not sure if that precludes being able to conduct air ops from her decks or not.

Matrix?

Preacher [/B][/QUOTE]

A Grumman F4F-4 "Wildcat" fighter on the catapult, ready
for take-off, 17 June 1942. Several more F4F-4s are waiting
their turn for launch. All planes are from squadron VGS-1.
Note that Long Island's catapult runs diagonally across
the flight deck, from starboard toward the port bow.

View on the hangar deck, looking aft over the elevator pit,
28 March 1942.

(in reply to nerod)
Post #: 9
- 5/31/2002 5:25:10 AM   
Burch

Great Pictures!!!
Is it ok if I save/copy them?

(in reply to nerod)
Post #: 10
- 5/31/2002 8:56:25 AM   
MKSheppard

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Burch
[B]Great Pictures!!!
Is it ok if I save/copy them? [/B][/QUOTE]

LOL, they're from the US Naval Historical Archive!

http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/nhcorg11.htm

My favorite picture is from the Guadalcanal Campaign:

[

Largely intact floating wreckage of a Japanese Navy Type 1
land attack plane (a type later code named "Betty"),
which crashed during the aerial torpedo attack on the
Allied invasion force off Tulagi Island on 8 August 1942.
Photographed from USS Ellet (DD-398).

Same plane as above, but from different angle.....but:

Note: Have YOU seen the original color transparency for
this photo? The very good quality original Kodachrome
transparency (bearing photo number 80-G-K-384)
apparently "strayed" from National Archives' files
sometime between 1972 and 1982. Anybody who could
help recover it would perform a fine service for the
historical community.

(in reply to nerod)
Post #: 11
- 5/31/2002 9:11:25 AM   
Sonny

Have you ever been up close to one of those? They are quite small - at least much smaller than I expected. I picture level bombers as being big planes and was surprised when I saw how cramped they are.:)

(in reply to nerod)
Post #: 12
Back pon Topic - 6/3/2002 10:45:23 PM   
neuromancer

Interesting pictures, and it shows the Long Island actually did SOMETHING.

In the game I've noticed two things:

1. I assigned it a group of 14 planes, it immediately put 9 of them reserve. It is possible hat these were not carrier aircraft, so it may simply have treated them as 'cargo'. I cannot remember.

2. I had a dead carrier, so I assigned the remnant of it's fighter wing to the Long Island, intending it to hang out with my surviving carriers to provide some additional air cover.
It kept on unloading the fighters! Every chance it got it would shift the fighters to a base within range, one of the other carriers, anywhere. But it absolutely would NOT keep those fighters on board!

I've deemed the Long Island to be good for nothing but a ferry.

(in reply to nerod)
Post #: 13
- 6/4/2002 1:40:12 AM   
Sonny

I've had the problem of planes just disappearing after being assigned to Long Island. IIRC 17 planes were assigned (in two groups) and the messages were that the transfers took place. But when I went to look for them there was no indication that they were on the Long Island. Don't know if the 10% overlaod had anything to do with it.:(

(in reply to nerod)
Post #: 14
Well - 6/4/2002 4:11:23 AM   
neuromancer

I never had them disappear, they just decided they didn't like it there and re-assigned themselves!

Cheeky buggers.

(in reply to nerod)
Post #: 15
USS Long Island - 6/4/2002 8:03:28 AM   
Rob Roberson

I suffered the old bermuda triangle bug with my first game using her. In my second game I loaded a marine wildcat squadron on her and covered my bombardment groups until she was sunk by Japanese air. The marines managed to not vanish into thin air.

(in reply to nerod)
Post #: 16
Request for Saved Games - 6/5/2002 5:22:25 AM   
Erik Rutins

Hi,

We're looking into the CVE Long Island issue to see if there's a bug hidden somewhere. We've checked the database and the code and found nothing to date. Since it appears intermittent and there are other potential causes that are within the design parameters, we'll need some saved games that can duplicate the problems. Before you send anything, make sure you're aware of the following:

- You can transfer non-naval squadrons to the CVE but they can't fly missions while on it (no training, no tailhooks). You can only transfer them back off.

- The CVE has a very limited capacity. If you exceed it with your squadron's planes by 10%, they will only be able to transfer rather than fly any missions.

- Groups transferred to the CVE that are splinter groups of other squadrons or remnants of partly destroyed squadrons will, at the first opportunity, rejoin the rest of their original squadron if it exists within transfer range. This can make them appear to "disappear". Check you list of air units to make sure they have not just auto-transferred.

So, if you have a save that has a non-splinter squadron that fits within the CVEs capacity and has naval training that either can't fly missions or is disappearing (repeatable), please zip it up and send it to [email]rossm@matrixgames.com[/email] with a brief description of what he should look for.

Thanks again, your help is appreciated, since this one appears extremely intermittent.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to nerod)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> CVE Long Island Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI