Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: When?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: When? Page: <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: When? - 6/17/2009 7:42:25 AM   
Greywolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: CarnivalBizarre

Hearts of iron 3 will soon keep me happy for another year or so, so take your time and do it well :)

I am still pondering if the HoI public and MWiF public are really the same... Of course I am interested in both but still they are really different games... If you forget the whole WWII thing.

Lt. Col. Ivan 'Greywolf' Kerensky

(in reply to CarnivalBizarre)
Post #: 1261
RE: When? - 6/17/2009 6:43:22 PM   
CarnivalBizarre

Yeah, Hearts of Iron 3 is abit different, it's more about controlling a nation with everything involved, MWIF is mostly warfare. Which both has it's benefits and drawbacks.

Yeah, most wargamers tend to shy away from non hex - real time :) But HOI2 is the computer game I have played most the last 6 years so since the sequal seems like a dream come true featurewise, I have big hopes.

Have you guys seen any of the game Bitter Glory? Some polish, hex based WW2 grand strategy game. Though the game seems to be a very indie deal so it might not see the light of day.

Oh, sorry, to much OT:(

(in reply to Greywolf)
Post #: 1262
RE: When? - 6/17/2009 9:52:53 PM   
coregames

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lava

All this over a couple months delay...

Ya gotta be kidding me...

Ray (alias Lava)

I'm not quite sure how this relates to my post, which was supportive of Steve and his progress.

"The creative combination lays bare the presumption of a lie." -- Lasker

Keith Henderson

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 1263
RE: When? - 6/21/2009 12:42:23 AM   
panzers

well, WWII took over 6 years to be completed.
When you have a game of this complexity, I am not at all surprised that it would take longer than the war itself.
Patience, patience, patience. Matrix, in the meantime, is giving us plenty to be happy with in the interim.
Give them credit for coming out with title after title to keep us occupied while we wait. I believe in Steve 110%. He wouldn't subject himself to this if he wanted to take any chances that it could be an inferior product. Keep plugging, buddy. The real WiF geeks are right behind you all the way. We will continue to wait. As always, do not come out with it unless you are absolutely sure you have the gem you have longed for from day one. Your rewards will be great. Patience, Patience, Patience.

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 1264
RE: When? - 6/22/2009 2:02:07 AM   
bo

Hi Jadg did not mean to upset anyone about these polls I just misunderstood sorry. Steve said to stick to the gist of this thread, I thought the thread was WHEN? If Steve gets mad at me for this so be it, what other topic shall we talk about in the thread WHEN? How long will WHEN go on. Steve should wipe out this whole thread from day one. No more WHEN because if it is not released in September 2009 nobody had better start a WHEN again because if you do I guarantee you this whole thread will start all over with the same comments [maybe nastier] made by the same people pro and con on AI. I believe in my heart all people here are extremely disappointed because they are so anxious to play this game on a computer and they love this game so much it has caused a lot of tension. I have to disagree with Steve about cancelling the gist of this thread, this is not IRAN this is a MWIF forum and nothing should be censored if people treat each opinion with respect, I did not say agree I said respect. I know Steve is doing his best to complete this project and as long as there is a forum on MWIF it should not be censored in any way. And if your going to change the gist of this thread WHEN please tell me what your going to change it to? I believe the AI or no AI has run its course in any thread new or old but what is a forum but a place to express your opinion without being concerned about being deleted by anyone.

Willy

< Message edited by bo -- 6/22/2009 2:22:03 AM >

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 1265
RE: When? - 6/22/2009 2:15:37 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: bo

Hi Jadg did not mean to upset anyone about these polls I just misunderstood sorry. Steve said to stick to the thread, I thought the thread was WHEN? If Steve gets mad at me for this so be it, what other topic shall we talk about in the thread WHEN? How long will WHEN go on. Steve should wipe out this whole thread from day one. No more WHEN because if it is not released in September 2009 nobody had better start a WHEN again because if you do I guarantee you this whole thread will start all over with the same comments [maybe nastier] made by the same people pro and con on AI. I believe in my heart all people here are extremely disappointed because they are so anxious to play this game on a computer and they love this game so much it has caused a lot of tension. I have to disagree with Steve about cancelling this thread, this is not IRAN this is a MWIF forum and nothing should be censored if people treat each opinion with respect, I did not say agree I said respect. I know Steve is doing his best to complete this project and as long as there is a forum on MWIF it should not be censored in any way. And if your going to change the gist of this thread WHEN please tell me what your going to change it to? I believe the AI or no AI has run its course in any thread new or old but what is a forum but a place to express your opinion without reprecussions from anyone.

Willy

I rarely remove posts. In this small respect I let the forum's history be what it is. Although, posters can go back and edit their own posts - which might strike some as wrong, but it is my understanding that is how actual history works too.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 1266
RE: When? - 6/22/2009 2:07:01 PM   
Anendrue

@bo
All Steve was trying to do was move the AI discussion to a more appropriate area where the pros and cons could be discussed. Any topic can digress and sometimes it takes on a whole new focus. Obviously anything can affect the "when" issue. Therefore, it is better to organize those thoughts in a more specific area. Your insult of this is not IRAN because many people just wanted the AI issue moved to a more specific thread is devious and manipulative. Just like many politicians you attack, insult and run down people to fight off disagreement. Your argument held merit until you stooped to negative tactics. Try not to insult - you might actually get someone to agree completely with you.

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

Post #: 1267
RE: When? - 6/22/2009 4:02:06 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: abj9562

@bo
All Steve was trying to do was move the AI discussion to a more appropriate area where the pros and cons could be discussed. Any topic can digress and sometimes it takes on a whole new focus. Obviously anything can affect the "when" issue. Therefore, it is better to organize those thoughts in a more specific area. Your insult of this is not IRAN because many people just wanted the AI issue moved to a more specific thread is devious and manipulative. Just like many politicians you attack, insult and run down people to fight off disagreement. Your argument held merit until you stooped to negative tactics. Try not to insult - you might actually get someone to agree completely with you.

Hi ABJ if I have insulted anyone here I apoligize. Iran was not a good choice of words it just happened to be in the news this week, [ I dont like censorship in any form] I did say end this pro AI anti AI thread in my post but you did not mention that and I dont know why. Also you ignored some of my other points like what do we talk about in WHEN? And if you read my posts entirely you would see I did not get negative until the pro AI people were called thugs. You did not find that insulting I wonder why? At least you know where I stand I dont hide my feelings. Not picking a fight with you at all ABJ I just wish you would read my whole post not a negative you want to pick out. WHEN should be eliminated completely because its caused a lot of concern among a few.

Willy

< Message edited by bo -- 6/22/2009 4:09:56 PM >

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 1268
RE: When? - 6/22/2009 6:49:23 PM   
Anendrue

quote:

quote:

@bo

Hi ABJ if I have insulted anyone here I apoligize. Iran was not a good choice of words it just happened to be in the news this week, [ I dont like censorship in any form] I did say end this pro AI anti AI thread in my post but you did not mention that and I dont know why. Also you ignored some of my other points like what do we talk about in WHEN? And if you read my posts entirely you would see I did not get negative until the pro AI people were called thugs. You did not find that insulting I wonder why? At least you know where I stand I dont hide my feelings. Not picking a fight with you at all ABJ I just wish you would read my whole post not a negative you want to pick out. WHEN should be eliminated completely because its caused a lot of concern among a few.

Willy

I know you are not picking a fight and neither am I. I am pro MWIF and that is my stance. Now on to your points:
I ignored the pro and anti AI argument because I have clearly stated in the past that I am pro MWIF and whatever it takes to be successful. I did not ignore your other points about what to talk about in a topic titled "WHEN". I thought I made it clear the topic had digressed into a more pointed discussion. "WHEN" is a topic so broard some discussions need to be branched off to keep the topic understandable. Please note I did not say pruned. I too disagree with censorship. Next, I read all the posts in topics I subscribe too; but, have been known to miss some at times. I am not, nor claim to be perfect. I am glad you stand up for what you believe in that is admirable in all people. I also agree I should probably have stepped in earlier when name calling began and people were told to shut up and other people called thugs. All of these types of statements are disruptive and unhelpful. However at the time people were very hot and I felt stepping in would incite the flames even further. Sometimes it is better to let a fire burn itself out. Not stepping in at that time was a judgement call on my part to let the issue hopefully cool off and resolve itself. The only reason I stepped in today was I felt you were over the line using IRAN in your comparison. That was over the top as you yourself admitted in your PM to me. (Reply on its way in a bit.) Last but not least, if you feel someone should reply to every point you make whether they agree or disagree, the posts could become very lengthy; for example, this reply. Therefore I usually only address issues and specific points (either in agreement or disagreement) which I feel need to be addressed from my humble point of view. Your assumption that no response from me on a specific point is fatally flawed. It assumes you know what I believe on that point. In this case I left them alone because (I quote) "Your argument held merit until you stooped to negative tactics."

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 1269
RE: When? - 6/22/2009 6:52:25 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

@bo

Willy

A few forum members do not dictate what threads exist. I do. That is why Matrix Games gave me the authority to moderate of this forum (note my avatar).

Your opinions are listened to by me just like I listen to everyone else's. But I have already posted a direct reply to your idea that an entire thread that is ~5 years old and contains 1268 posts (at the time I write this) should be deleted. My decision was No.

Steve

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 1270
RE: When? - 6/22/2009 7:09:21 PM   
MajorDude

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
... note my avatar...

Gosh, and all this time we thought it was a flag for one mwif's many minor countries - lol ...

j/k

Post #: 1271
RE: When? - 6/22/2009 8:06:27 PM   
bo

quote:

quote:

quote:

@bo

Willy

A few forum members do not dictate what threads exist. I do. That is why Matrix Games gave me the authority to moderate of this forum (note my avatar).

Your opinions are listened to by me just like I listen to everyone else's. But I have already posted a direct reply to your idea that an entire thread that is ~5 years old and contains 1268 posts (at the time I write this) should be deleted. My decision was No.

Steve I have to respond to that comment about me wanting WHEN to vanish,I was reffering to the future WHEN [today, tommorow] I guess I did not make that clear, sorry about that. Leave WHEN in but maybe change the title to GONE I did not mean the whole 5 year thread should be deleted but that the last two weeks have gotten kind of rough and it happened after you changed the release date I only meant that when the WHEN has another release date and if it is not adhered to we are going to be in a WHEN of trouble on the WHEN post You are the moderator and I fully understand that and I am just expressing an opinion right or wrong.

Willy

Post #: 1272
RE: When? - 6/23/2009 2:45:42 AM   
Grapeshot Bob

quote:

I rarely remove posts. In this small respect I let the forum's history be what it is. Although, posters can go back and edit their own posts - which might strike some as wrong, but it is my understanding that is how actual history works too.

LOL.

Mark

P.S. Everyone else chill. I might have to go and get the Bong of Brotherly Understanding and Mutual Respect out again.

< Message edited by Grapeshot Bob -- 6/23/2009 2:50:18 AM >

Post #: 1273
RE: When? - 6/23/2009 4:44:36 PM   
composer99

Better the Bong of Brotherly Understanding and Mutual Respect than the Club of Forced Civility and Suppressed Anger.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Grapeshot Bob)
Post #: 1274
RE: When? - 6/23/2009 9:18:38 PM   
obermeister

Wow, if we're going to be having a fight, shouldn't it at least be over the WiF rules?  In our game we do more fighting over the rules than we do in the actual wargame.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 1275
RE: When? - 6/24/2009 1:03:33 AM   
BallyJ

quote:

ORIGINAL: obermeister

Wow, if we're going to be having a fight, shouldn't it at least be over the WiF rules?  In our game we do more fighting over the rules than we do in the actual wargame.

I couldn't agree more. Come on people. How is this constant sniping at each other helping.Lets all get over it and move on.

(in reply to obermeister)
Post #: 1276
RE: When? - 6/24/2009 4:02:10 AM   
cerosenberg

I have watched the evolution of computer games from a blip on the ocilliscope to multi-player internet games. The most difficult part is the AI. Were it an easy task, the world would be run by machines. I am amazed that the project has gotten this far. All the work is extremely laudable. The following is not to be taken as a gibe but as a recognition of your intellegence and persistance: To me the question is not "when" but "if." Yet, I still follow this forum. cheering all on, hoping for success. I send all my good wishes to all working on the project.

(in reply to BallyJ)
Post #: 1277
RE: When? - 7/2/2009 6:15:44 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I had this ready to post yesterday (really, I did!), but I was unable to log into the forums in the afternoon and evening (Hawaii time).
==========
July 1, 2009 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

I. Project Management
We are looking at the first week of November, 2009 for product release.

Communications
Barry finished all the historical videos (26 of them).

Jim (sound effects) has been working on the summer releases of other Matrix Games products but should get back to MWIF in July or August.

Mike (Players Manual editor) has been working on the summer releases of other Matrix Games products but should get back to MWIF in July or August.

Ignacio has offered to work on a translation of the Players Manual into Spanish. Though it is still early days on this, Matrix Games is going to have Mike (MWIF editor) make copies of the MWIF documentation available to Ignacio prior to product release. A possibility exists that the translation might be done in time for the initial release.

Andy Johnson (Texas) has begun work on a MWIF fan site. He has received permission and encouragement from Matrix Games for this endeavor. To start with, he has chosen the name WorldInFlames.net for the fan site.

I monitored all the threads in the MWIF World in Flames forum daily and uploaded versions 1.01.00, 1.01.01, and 1.01.03 for the beta testers. The beta testers never got to see 1.01.02, though I did substantial testing using it. Orm and Lars continue to add posts as quasi after-action-reports on Barbarossa and the war in China.

Patrice continues to provide me with screen shots for the Players Manual. More recently he has gone through all the Picture & Text Tutorials and brought those graphics/screen shots up-to-date. He also regenerated his PPS files for those tutorials (PPS is a Power Point Slide Show automated presentation).

Rob Jenkins continues to do an enormous number of naval unit writeups every week. He has taken over as coordinator of the Naval units writeups from Andy Johnson (Idaho) who had to return to working on his ranch full-time.

Alain (Caquineur) has begun work editing the Land Unit writeups. There are over 100,000 lines in those writeups so that is going to take him some time.

Peter Skoglund made progress on the setup script for the French in the Global War scenario. We’re pretty close to having that ready for testing.

Sean Drummy posted my 22 new screen shots to the Matrix Games web site under Games in Development. There are now 34 screen shots therein.

No communications with Harry Rowland or Chris Marinacci.

Hardware and Software Development Tools
I installed Camtasia of which I then made immediate use, producing 6 chapters of the Training Video. I have not installed ThemeEngine July/2007.

II. Sequence of Play
Beta Testing
I uploaded three new versions for the beta testers, somewhat behind my goal of one a week.

Version 1.01.00 was a complete new version, since the patches on the previous version had grown to 10. This version enabled playing the OGG sound effects (for testing purposes), redesigned the Initiative form, revised the weather tutorial so the relationship between the weather die roll and advancing the impulse number is easier to understand, fixed problems with bringing in reinforcements, and cured other small ills.

Version 1.01.01 fixed problems with naval interceptions, naval combat, Vichy France, offensive chits, Flyout/Global map interactions, and other stuff. This version also included Geoff’s tweaking of the bitmap images for the naval counters so they are now centered better with the counter frame. To go with that, I made some small adjustments to the vertical positioning of naval unit names when they required 2 lines of text (e.g., CV Franklin Delano Roosevelt).

I just uploaded Version 1.01.03 today. I had gone through and cleaned up a lot of cosmetic problems the beta testers had found, corrected the calculation of victory conditions for Guadalcanal (which has its own personal set of victory conditions), converted the US Entry form so it uses a component from the JV library and matches all the other grids/tables shown in the forms, revised all the graphics for the 10th tutorial (sequence of play) so there is markedly less clutter, and repositioned more than half the sea area section boxes. The last change was done so all the sea areas are on even numbered rows. This has the effect of enabling a very tight detailed map to be created so 10 separate detailed maps can be viewed simultaneously - one sea area/set of section boxes per detailed map.

Test Script/Plan
Nothing new.

Game Engine Redesign
The code for rewriting the supply routines hasn’t advanced much, though I did fix one bug in what I have written so far.

Units, Map, and Scenarios
Rob continues his weekly updates of the naval unit write ups. Geoff revised the naval unit bitmaps. I removed Sweden from the list of countries involved in Barbarossa.

Optional Rules
Nothing new.

Saved Games
I fixed a couple of problems with saving/restoring games.

III. Player Interface
In addition to the complete overhauls of the Initiative and the US Entry forms (both mentioned above), I reviewed and revised the PBEM forms for Standing Orders. These are still incomplete but I have half of them done now.

After my recent changes to the US Entry form, only the Bidding for major powers form remains to be converted to using a JV component for its grid/table.

IV. NetPlay
With assistance from Karl Lean (Computer War in Europe) I now know how to make NetPlay work at the technical level. I need to turn that knowledge into code.

V. PBEM
I finished my revisions to the PBEM design (Section 6 of the Players Manual - Modes of Play). After all was said and done, there are 22 Standing Orders. The only ugly part of this is rebasing units that are overrun. Overruns can occur during land movement and advance after combat, but more problematic are the de facto overruns when control of a country changes (e.g., conquest, liberation, surrender, Vichy). Because of this, the Standing Orders for how to rebase units are used in multiple places in the sequence of play. Players are going to have to pay attention to what their SOs are for rebasing units when the end of turn occurs and control of a country might change.

Besides creating the missing PBEM forms, I need to define data structures for the Standing Orders.

VI. AI Opponent
I wrote the code for the first four steps for the parser and created a form for presenting the results of each step as the parser proceeds through a script. Roughly, this means the parser is 40% done.

Peter sent me background data for a proposed setup script for France. This is pretty exciting, since it is the first time we have tackled coding the text descriptions I have on how to set up a major power’s units. After a couple of iterations, Peter and I reached agreement on: (1) how to set up the French units, and (2) how to encode that data. I think it looks pretty good and we should be able to start work on the scripts for setting up the other 7 major powers in July.

I also went back over what I have written on the French strategic plan. Last year at about this time, I split the French strategic plan into its component parts for conversion into LAIO scripts. In so doing, I left the rather monolithic first 3 parts untouched. Over the past month, I broke out the first two and I rendered them into data files. As a prerequisite, I created the storage structures for those pieces of the strategic plan: vital hexes and regions of conflicts (land, sea, and air). Once I confirm that this code works, I’ll be able to give the task to Peter of doing the same for the other 7 major powers. It doesn’t require much effort, but the more tasks I can give to others, the better.

VII. Documentation
Happily, section 6 of the Players Manual is mostly complete. I have the subsection on PBEM in place, though it still contains extraneous “notes to self” that I am using for creating the missing forms for Standing Orders. The subsection on NetPlay is blank at this point.

I put together a strange collection of information for Section 11, Appendices. That section is now complete except for a few sentences I am not ready to write at this time. Those concern “other files” that will be included with the released product (there might be some more that I haven’t thought of yet) and a short description of the INI file.

What I did include in the Appendices is a complete list of the unit types, terrain types, countries (and other geographical regions), mouse and keyboard commands, a short overview of the sequence of play, and the two alternative land combat tables. There’s other stuff too, like an explanation of where all the bitmaps are used; so it’s a real mishmash. However, players who are interested in this detailed look at some of the program’s internals should be amused for hours, if not days. For example, there is a full definition of the file structures for the map and unit data.

Other than Section 8, Player Interface, my work on the Players Manual is drawing to a close. When Patrice sends me new screen shots for Section 8, I incorporate them into the Players Manual and write the necessary text to explain those screen shots.

The new event here is Ignacio’s offer to do the translation into Spanish. Clearly, that will not involve me, since “I know nothing senor” (a Fawlty Towers reference).

VIII. Learning Aids (tutorials, training video, embedded help text)
I took the text description of one form from the Players Manual Section 8 and converted it for inclusion in the context sensitive help file. I had done a dozen of these previously and I wanted to refresh my memory about what this task entails. With a little luck, I’ll find a volunteer to do these conversions.

I spent quite a lot of time this past week working on the Training Video. After reviewing and revising the list of topics to be covered, I ended up with 11 chapters. So far I have recorded the first 6 chapters which total 2 hours and 40 minutes (WMV format, viewable using Windows Media Player). I guess these are going to come in close to 5 hours of viewing time. I had been hoping for 90 minutes - foolish me. Even with skipping over stuff, I have been unable to trim the massive amount of information about the game that a player needs to know down to something short and sweet.

The hard fact is that MWIF has 152 phases/subphases/digressions, and uses over 110 forms. A little math reveals that if only 1 minute is spent to describe each of those, over 4 hours would be needed. What remains to do are the chapters: on starting a new game and setting up units (#7), moving land, naval, and air units and having them engage in combat (#8, #9, #10) and production & politics (#11).

IX. Glitz (historical video, sound effects, music, historical unit write-ups)
My main accomplishment this past month on the glitz was figuring out how all the glitz elements are going to work together. I am pretty happy with that design. I’ve got a plan, and that’s what I’ll implement.

Barry finished all 26 of the historical video files (in WMV format). They look great. Once Jim has sent me the sound effects I’ll write the code for playing both during a game.

With the help of Karl Lean, I got the OGG files playing from within the program. This format is used for both the sound effects and music.

I sent Dave my assembled notes for desired music files. While for the video and sound effects I was able to be quite specific, for the music I was rather vague. That’s primarily because I am unsure what is available and the possibility of copyright issues.

We have lost Andy (Idaho) as an editor for the naval unit writeups (he will be missed). On the other hand we have gained Alain as an editor for the land unit writeups.

X. Marketing
Sean’s upload of the 22 new screen shots and Andy’s (Texas) work on the fan site are the only major events in this category. Though perhaps Orm’s and Lars’ After Action Reports in the forum on Barbarossa and the war in China could be considered marketing.

Remaining Tasks

I Tasks requiring a small number of hours

1. Historical video
Integrate these into the program (randomizing when they are shown).

2. Sound effects
Awaiting Jim’s complete set of sound effects, after which I will integrate them into the program.

3. Music
Awaiting Dave’s complete set of music, after which I will integrate them into the program.

4. Unit writeups
Rob continues to generate more naval unit writeups and Alain is editing the land unit writeups. I simply replace the old files with the new when they send me updates.

5. Players Manual
9 of 11 sections are done. I am unsure how much of these Mike has edited. Of the 2 remaining, Section 6, Modes of Play is 95% done and Section 8, Player Interface, requires me to finish the PBEM and NetPlay forms and Patrice to take more screen shots. Then I need to tack on some text describing the forms and how to use them.

6. Context sensitive help
Once Section 8 of the Players Manual is done, I’ll transfer each form’s description into a TXT file for display by MWIF as context sensitive help. There is a lot of that to do, but it’s a mindless task.

7. Auxiliary files
These are starter sets for new players so they can jump right into playing the game without having to make a lot of preparatory decisions. The beta testers provide these and I have accumulated a bunch. I just need to round out my collection.

8. Tutorials and training video
The Training Video is more than half done and I should finish the rest of it this month. Then I will take that work and use it to create the Interactive tutorials. I have a shot at finishing all of these in July.

II Tasks requiring a medium number of hours

9. Optional Rules
For the optional rules that I want to finish, I need to fix bugs and bring them up-to-date with rules changes since circa 2003.

10. PBEM
I’ve done a lot of work on this, but more is needed. The technical task of sending and receiving emails from within the program hasn’t been coded. Work on the standalone program (running on a third party computer) to generate random numbers hasn’t begun. The large task here concerns the Standing Orders: defining and instantiating internal variables, then displaying them in the forms so players can review and revise them.

11. Player Interface
With the exception of the Standing Order forms for PBEM, I have finished the forms (~110). But there have been ~70 bugs reported related to the player interface. Not all of these are serious and many are ‘suggestions’ from the beta testers that can be ignored with little or no effect on the game’s playability. Other items are easy to correct. But undoubtedly fixing some of these bugs will be essential for program performance and difficult to fault isolate and correct.

III Tasks requiring a large number of hours

12. Sequence of Play
There are a slew of bugs related to the sequence of play (~180). I knocked off one of the major ones this past month (naval movement interception) but naval combat abort and supply still remain sullen and unresponsive. Because of the high level of redundancy in bug reports (i.e., multiple reports of the same bug), I estimate less than an hour per item reported.

13. NetPlay
There isn’t a lot to do directly related to NetPlay, but the underlying performance of the program in generating Game Record Log Entries has to be perfect. That’s because the GRLs are sent to each computer in a networked game to keep them up-to-date with the decisions of all players. I have over 530 types of GRLs defined, with their supporting code for encoding them prior to transmission and decoding them upon receipt. Regrettably, I haven’t gone through them rigorously to make sure each one executes at the proper point in the sequence of play. Additionally, I need to instantiate, with actual data, the form used to monitor internet communications while a game is in progress. But the vast majority of this task is getting the GRLs perfect.

14. AI Opponent
Test scripts await testing, which requires me to finish writing the parser. I have the vast majority of the AIO decision making written out in plain text. Taking that plain text and rendering it into rules will require a lot of time. Which leaves the task of calibrating the rules’ performance so the AIO plays well.

Steve

(in reply to cerosenberg)
Post #: 1278
RE: When? - 7/2/2009 9:34:31 PM   
Anendrue

Thanks for the update Steve.

Post #: 1279
RE: When? - 7/2/2009 10:00:24 PM   
Froonp

quote:

Once Section 8 of the Players Manual is done, I’ll transfer each form’s description into a TXT file for display by MWIF as context sensitive help. There is a lot of that to do, but it’s a mindless task.

I already volunteered to do that.

Post #: 1280
RE: When? - 7/3/2009 12:17:49 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

I already volunteered to do that.

Ok. Thanks.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 1281
RE: When? - 7/3/2009 9:18:08 AM   
npilgaard

Every time I read these updates I am amazed with the amount of work you are managing to do, Steve!

And as always, very nice that you write us these monthly updates, so we can follow the progress.

Regards
Nikolaj

Post #: 1282
RE: When? - 7/3/2009 12:33:18 PM   
Caquineur

quote:

Alain (Caquineur) has begun work editing the Land Unit writeups. There are over 100,000 lines in those writeups so that is going to take him some time.

over 100,000 lines
I hope this one is a typo
10,954 lines done, end of file
and you're right, that took me some time !

So now I'm going to

Post #: 1283
RE: When? - 7/3/2009 1:48:58 PM   
ypsylon

So only 14 points to go... If you ask me only 9-10 because 4-5 (video, sfx/music, manual, netplay) are of no importance to me

There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

(in reply to Caquineur)
Post #: 1284
RE: When? - 7/3/2009 4:10:39 PM   
bo

November huh oh well I shall stick my stupid head in the sand like everyone else is doing here.

Willy

(in reply to Greywolf)
Post #: 1285
RE: When? - 7/3/2009 5:39:32 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Caquineur

quote:

over 100,000 lines
I hope this one is a typo
10,954 lines done, end of file
and you're right, that took me some time !

So now I'm going to

Ah, working from memory once agani causes inaccuracies. Better numbers would be 11,000 lines, 1.1 MB.

Steve

(in reply to Caquineur)
Post #: 1286
RE: When? - 7/3/2009 5:50:22 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

November huh oh well I shall stick my stupid head in the sand like everyone else is doing here.

Willy

Matrix requires a few weeks to transform my executible (et al) into multiple copies with unique serial numbers. They also need to create stock for boxed orders, so they will have something to ship to customers. Other events around that time are the marketing effort. When it was offered, I jumped at the opportunity to have a couple more weeks (end of September => mid-October), which puts us around Oct 30th, Nov. 1st as a release date. But then I have been told repeatedly by forum members to not be so specific - hence 1st week of November.

As items get accomplished, I have a better estimate on what it takes to finish the overall project. But this is software! I looked at a simple bug yesterday, thinking it would take 2 or 3 minutes to fix, and 75 minutes later I had made zero progress on correcting it. Programming is not like hammering nails into wood, or pouring concrete. It is more like repairing a car - though even that analogy is pretty weak.

Steve

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 1287
RE: When? - 7/3/2009 6:55:16 PM   
Anendrue

On a more positive note... It will be a perfect Christmas gift if released in Nov. Just enough time to get good and familiar before your opponent gets it on Christmas day.

Post #: 1288
RE: When? - 7/3/2009 8:32:26 PM   
Petracelli69

Steve

Thanks for your update and really looking forward to it's release. One question could you estimate percentage wise how far you think the AI is from being done, as a non techie be good to have a rough idea.

Cheers

Phil

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 1289
RE: When? - 7/3/2009 9:18:22 PM   
MajorDude

quote:

ORIGINAL: Caquineur

... and you're right, that took me some time !

So now I'm going to

Et, quel meilleur endroit pour 'sommeiller' qu'Aix en Provence, n'est-ce pas... - lol

(And what better place to 'catch a light snooze' at than Aix en Provence, 'n'est-ce pas'... lol)

(in reply to Caquineur)
Post #: 1290
Page:   <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: When? Page: <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI