Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Walled in! The inner German border...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Walled in! The inner German border... Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Walled in! The inner German border... - 7/2/2009 5:22:45 PM   
Marc von Martial

This is a very nice and well done CG Docu released by Deutsche Welle.
It cover what was all day live in Germany still 20 years ago. I remember much of this stuff "live". Good it's gone...

This is the link to the docu video on Youtube, it is available in HD also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwQsTzGkbiY

Here is the link to the article on the Deutsche Welle website:
http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,4440098,00.html

Post #: 1
RE: Walled in! The inner German border... - 7/2/2009 6:13:39 PM   
andym

I lived i  Germany during the "Cold War" and visted the border on many occaisions.It was a great day when the Wall came down,i for one shall never forget it.We went to East Berlin on a trip,at the Tomb of the Unkown Warrior we were approached by a small child with a small suitcase.She spoke very good english and asked us to take her out of the DDR,i have never forgotten her and often wonder if she was a "plant" by the Stasi or genuine.When we lived in Celle,we could recieve DDR television,it was archaic and typically Soviet Orientated.Both the West and the East had a childs programme called "The Sandman",it was ointeresting to see the difference between the Eastern version and the Western version.Happily a lot of the Border between the "old" East and West has now become a Nature Reserve.

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 2
RE: Walled in! The inner German border... - 7/2/2009 6:52:03 PM   
06 Maestro

Thanks for the link-thats a keeper.

I went to Berlin several times in the early/mid '70's.  The "wall" was not as lovely as it was when that film was shot.  And I thought it was a joke about the "beautification" of the wall.

When I saw it the eastern side had a hundred meters or more of dirt and tank traps, no second wall, and then more uninhabited, ruined tenement buildings for a block or two-a very dismal scene.  The East German guards had wooden towers from which they could look into West Berlin.  I recall laughing at those guys a couple of times.  They were looking at us through binos from about 50 meters away-showing off their high tech tools I suppose.  The way that the wall cut through sections of the city was particularly bad-some areas right through cemeteries and so on.  I was told that the guards were regularly rotated so that they did not become buddies with fellow guards, as they might escape together.  There was a small museum in West Berlin that detailed many of the escape attempts-both failed and successful.  The commies had a full time job trying to keep people in (prison).  Of course, there were some, like Angela Davis that wanted to go East-she did it in broad daylight-and no one tried to stop her.  (She has since snuck back into the good ole USA.)

I will never forget the profound difference from East Berlin and West Berlin.  My unit went there 3 times-including into East Berlin a couple of times (in uniform).  It was like leaving a world of color and going into one of black and white-I'm not exaggerating.  The sense of sadness and dejection was quite evident.  The only thing that was impressive and had a little "color" to it was the Soviet war memorial.

I really hope that there were some documentaries made of that era.  It would really be a sad thing if some volks started yearning for the good old days of the DDR.

Again, thanks for the link.

Addit: The 1 K zone along the main border did not even have a wall back then-that I recall ever seeing-it was a fence, barbed wire and land mines. Of course, it was heavily guarded and patrolled.

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 7/2/2009 6:56:48 PM >

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 3
RE: Walled in! The inner German border... - 7/2/2009 7:12:08 PM   
JudgeDredd

Brilliant. Thanks for that Mark. Great stuff and added to favourites.

I was brought up in this era also, with the threat of a Soviet breakthrough West Germany very prominent, but I knew very little about the Wall. I certainly didn't know how elaborate it was!

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 4
RE: Walled in! The inner German border... - 7/2/2009 9:20:46 PM   
Lützow

At the night of 10th november 1989 I was standing with 1000's of others at the top of Berlin Wall, straight across from Brandenburger Tor. The mood was indescribable and when I finally went home, next morning at 09.00 AM, the east german relatives of my spouse were already waiting at our doorstep.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 5
RE: Walled in! The inner German border... - 7/2/2009 10:14:44 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

Both the West and the East had a childs programme called "The Sandman",it was ointeresting to see the difference between the Eastern version and the Western version.Happily a lot of the Border between the "old" East and West has now become a Nature Reserve.

I watched finnish dubed version of the eastern "Sandman" when I was kid:

http://yle.fi/pikkukakkonen/historiikki/nukkumatti/nukkumatti.html

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 6
RE: Walled in! The inner German border... - 7/2/2009 11:13:50 PM   
Monkeys Brain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc von Martial

This is a very nice and well done CG Docu released by Deutsche Welle.
It cover what was all day live in Germany still 20 years ago. I remember much of this stuff "live". Good it's gone...

This is the link to the docu video on Youtube, it is available in HD also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwQsTzGkbiY

Here is the link to the article on the Deutsche Welle website:
http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,4440098,00.html

Germany is very nice country. I lived near Esslingen in place called Nellingen. Now it is in fact small city called Ostfidern Zwei (2). I think that Ruit and Bercheim are also part of Ostfildern 2.
My father worked on company called Festo as engineer.

Stuttgart is also very nice city, I like it very much. This is all in Badden-Wurtemberg state.

I have also lived some time in Goeppingen and Reichenbach (great woods there!). Hmmm but I have been in many other cities in Germany. Munich, Hannover etc...

From Germany and German people you can learn lot of good things, culture, dedication to work, discipline, and in democracy they are also strong. Great nation which I respect very much.

Mario

Post #: 7
RE: Walled in! The inner German border... - 7/3/2009 9:40:22 AM   
JudgeDredd

(in reply to Monkeys Brain)
Post #: 8
RE: Walled in! The inner German border... - 7/3/2009 12:02:31 PM   
Marc von Martial

I remember when we did our anual vacation in the Harz region (near Hannover). There the border ran over a moutain called Brocken. We went up to a little "museum" there and my father took me later into the woods, we crept through the underbrush, very close to the border. My father, being an NCO in the Bundeswehr back then, had a bino with him and so we could check out the guards on the other side. I remember him saying "now they got us" when he pointed over to two guards that were looking in our direction and taking photos. It scared the **** out of me. I think I was around 7 or 8 back then. I would have never guessed they could see us...
I wonder if that film was ever developed and the photos are archived somewhere

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 9
RE: Walled in! The inner German border... - 7/3/2009 12:08:25 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: andym
We went to East Berlin on a trip,at the Tomb of the Unkown Warrior we were approached by a small child with a small suitcase.She spoke very good english and asked us to take her out of the DDR,i have never forgotten her and often wonder if she was a "plant" by the Stasi or genuine.

Ouch.

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 10
RE: Walled in! The inner German border... - 7/3/2009 12:09:08 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

When we lived in Celle,we could recieve DDR television,it was archaic and typically Soviet Orientated.

Oh yeah, I was glued to the "Der schwarze Kanal" with Karl Eduard von Schnitzler, Propaganda as best as it can get. When we visited my grandgrandma in the Harz, I always wanted to wtch that show. It was so strange and "not from this world"

I loved their fairy tale movies and children series as a kid though. Mostly stuff produced in Czechoslovakia.

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 11
RE: Walled in! The inner German border... - 7/3/2009 6:13:50 PM   
andym

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc von Martial

quote:

When we lived in Celle,we could recieve DDR television,it was archaic and typically Soviet Orientated.

Oh yeah, I was glued to the "Der schwarze Kanal" with Karl Eduard von Schnitzler, Propaganda as best as it can get. When we visited my grandgrandma in the Harz, I always wanted to wtch that show. It was so strange and "not from this world"

I loved their fairy tale movies and children series as a kid though. Mostly stuff produced in Czechoslovakia.

LOL,i loved the "Lets speak English" programme,it was straight out of the 1950's,very much in the vein of Mr Cholmondley - Warner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx_6WekXKcM

Also the Soviet inspired Worker of The Month Show!

Post #: 12
RE: Walled in! The inner German border... - 7/3/2009 7:05:51 PM   
Monkeys Brain

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

No need for flame popcorns

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 13
RE: Walled in! The inner German border... - 7/3/2009 7:17:42 PM   
Carl Myers

I don't know about these smooth bare areas mentioned in the video. When I was stationed at Radenbeck, I would visit the border and many times would see gangs of men raking straight lines in the bare dirt. We always assumed that straight lines would be harder to recreate at night.
If we got bored, we would take our own cameras down to the border and play jack-in-box with the East German guards. The guards were supposed to take pictures of us but were not supposed to have pictures taken of them. When the guards pulled out their cameras, we pull out our cameras. The Guards would pop down out of sight and we would hide our cameras. After a few seconds, the guards would pop back up and then would try to take our pictures before we could pull out our cameras. Most times, they would stop trying to hide after few minutes.
And of course, there is the occasional GI who would go down to the border and moon the guards when the GI was FIGMO.

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 14
RE: Walled in! The inner German border... - 7/3/2009 8:27:27 PM   
andym

T here was a book written quite a while back about the Wall from a BAOR perspective.It had many interesting and funny tales,shame i cant remember the title.I do know of some British Soldiers "mooning" the East German Border Guards,there was an "official Complaint" made.LOL   so somewhere in a file there must be a shot of some British hairy arses!!!

(in reply to Carl Myers)
Post #: 15
RE: Walled in! The inner German border... - 7/3/2009 10:29:56 PM   
Doggie

How long before members of the "intellectual left" tell us this is all a myth?

< Message edited by Doggie -- 7/4/2009 2:41:57 AM >

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 16
RE: Walled in! The inner German border... - 7/3/2009 10:42:23 PM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doggie

How lopnmg before members of the "intellectual left" tell us this is all a myth?

Shame, shame Doggie. Political discussions on Matrix Forums are forbotten.

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 17
RE: Walled in! The inner German border... - 7/3/2009 11:01:32 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

quote:

How lopnmg before members of the "intellectual left" tell us this is all a myth?

Shame, shame Doggie. Political discussions on Matrix Forums are forbotten.

You're absolutely right Gary. Doggie should not have used the term "intellectual left". He should have used the term "moronic revisionists". That would be more to the point, and non political. In defense of Doggie, I don't think he was referring to Matrix members when he mentioned members.

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 18
RE: Walled in! The inner German border... - 7/4/2009 2:49:07 AM   
Doggie

The holocaust never happened. 9/11 was an inside job. Pitiful death camp survivors stole "Palestine" right out from under milliions of Arabs. Canadians are humans.

How long before the Berlin wall gets the same treatment?

< Message edited by Doggie -- 7/4/2009 3:08:49 AM >

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 19
RE: Walled in! The inner German border... - 7/4/2009 3:08:59 AM   
GaryChildress

quote:

The holocaust never happened. 9/11 was an inside job. Pitiful death camp survivors stole "Palestine" right out from under milliions of Arabs.

Virtually no one believes the holocaust never happened or that 9/11 was an inside job (not sure about Palestine, I don't pay much attention to Israeli history) And I don't think it's only the Left which comes up with wild conspiracies.

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 20
RE: Walled in! The inner German border... - 7/4/2009 4:50:19 AM   
jwarrenw13

I spent five years as an American soldier in what was then called West Germany, including some border patrols, 1973-75 and 1985-88.  My last tour ended in 1988, just months before the walls and borders came down.  I remember on one patrol thinking how insane the whole situation was, but I did not think it would end so suddenly and quickly.  My wife and I loved Germany and the German people.  We hope to return one day and visit the reunified Germany.  

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 21
RE: Walled in! The inner German border... - 7/4/2009 5:10:40 AM   
benpark

Good stuff, Marc. This will be useful for my trip to Berlin in August.

"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 22
RE: Walled in! The inner German border... - 7/4/2009 6:53:04 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

The holocaust never happened. 9/11 was an inside job. Pitiful death camp survivors stole "Palestine" right out from under milliions of Arabs. Canadians are humans.

and

I think that's classed as a blatant break of Matrix Forum rules Doggie....and you know it. On a thread by an admin too - naughty boy. I don't suppose you can help it, but still - naughty boy

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 23
RE: Walled in! The inner German border... - 7/4/2009 9:01:33 AM   
Terminus

He just hasn't understood that nobody cares about what he has to say...

Same reason why Dennis Miller isn't funny anymore; he's used the same material over and over again for too long.

< Message edited by Terminus -- 7/4/2009 9:11:43 AM >

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 24
RE: Walled in! The inner German border... - 7/4/2009 10:54:46 AM   
String

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zakhal

quote:

Both the West and the East had a childs programme called "The Sandman",it was ointeresting to see the difference between the Eastern version and the Western version.Happily a lot of the Border between the "old" East and West has now become a Nature Reserve.

I watched finnish dubed version of the eastern "Sandman" when I was kid:

http://yle.fi/pikkukakkonen/historiikki/nukkumatti/nukkumatti.html

Yeah, I used to watch that as a kid as well. Finnish TV was recievable in northern Estonia..

Surface combat TF fanboy

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 25
RE: Walled in! The inner German border... - 7/4/2009 6:31:46 PM   
andym

quote:

ORIGINAL: benpark

Good stuff, Marc. This will be useful for my trip to Berlin in August.

I beleive that the Border crossing at Helmstedt is now a museum,might be worth a look.And dont forget the one where Checkpoint Charlie was.

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 26
RE: Walled in! The inner German border... - 7/4/2009 8:58:04 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Same reason why Dennis Miller isn't funny anymore; he's used the same material over and over again for too long.

Umm I still think Dennis Millers rants are funny.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 27
RE: Walled in! The inner German border... - 7/4/2009 9:18:36 PM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Umm I still think Dennis Millers rants are funny.

Watching Miller's bits on the O'Reilly show is sort of sad to me. He really looks and sounds like someone whom the parade has passed him by. He just appears to lack confidence and doesn't have that "edge" anymore. I sort of sympathize with him but I wouldn't call him funny.

< Message edited by Gary Childress -- 7/4/2009 9:32:26 PM >

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 28
RE: Walled in! The inner German border... - 7/4/2009 9:36:30 PM   
Carl Myers

quote:

I beleive that the Border crossing at Helmstedt is now a museum,might be worth a look

Where the Autoban entered into East Germany was called Checkpoint Alpha and when that Autobahn entered into Berlin was Checkpoint Bravo. The American duty train from Bremerhaven to Berlin followed this route.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 29
RE: Walled in! The inner German border... - 7/4/2009 9:52:16 PM   
Doggie

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I think that's classed as a blatant break of Matrix Forum rules Doggie....and you know it. On a thread by an admin too - naughty boy. I don't suppose you can help it, but still - naughty boy

quote:

Bite me. Who elected you and the rest of the trolls as moderators? The fact is history has been revised to fit what ever agenda is popular with the college boy crowd.

You and the rest of the dweebs telling me what I can and can't say here is also a violation of forum rules. Rules you only pay attention to when it suits you. You know where you can put your self rightous indignation.

Look who's telling us about how politics are verbotten:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary the perpetually offended

Watching Miller's bits on the O'Reilly show is sort of sad to me. He really looks and sounds like someone whom the parade has passed him by. He just appears to lack confidence and doesn't have that "edge" anymore. I sort of sympathize with him but I wouldn't call him funny.

But that's different, isn't it? Hush yo mouf, Gary is talking about eeevil right wing fascists? And that Doggie, what a scum bag for breaking our forum rules about calling people names, even if he didn't. Never mind what he did say, we know what he meant to say, right?

As for hijacking Marc's thread, you clowns did that. I just pointed out there are people out there who think the DDR was a good thing, and don't believe stories about mine fields and shoot to kill orders. And I don't recall mentioning anybody by name, except maybe the usual suspects who are always ready to tell us we need to give communism just one more chance.

Now go trash me in "the Thread", like you usually do, you sniveling cry babies.

< Message edited by Doggie -- 7/4/2009 9:53:36 PM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Walled in! The inner German border... Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI