Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A slight problem with The amazing ARHS mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> A slight problem with The amazing ARHS mod Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A slight problem with The amazing ARHS mod - 7/5/2009 4:02:43 AM   
virgil_182

Let me start off by saying I love the Alternate Historical Random Scenario mod. It's ability to add army setups and cut the random maps up into countries is worth it alone. :O)

In the WW2 variant however, if I select any of the war start options for later rounds, when the game gets to the round when the factions are supposed to switch from peace to war it locks up at the last turn info screen. (In my case the acknowledge season screen.)

Has anyone else had this problem or is it something on my system I wonder ?

Thanks for your time.
Post #: 1
RE: A slight problem with The amazing ARHS mod - 7/5/2009 7:42:28 PM   
Jeffrey H.

I suggest sending the question directly to the scenario developer. I haven't tried that mod.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to virgil_182)
Post #: 2
RE: A slight problem with The amazing ARHS mod - 7/6/2009 3:45:10 AM   
virgil_182

That is precisely what I did.

The scenarios are quite good, because they get rid of the "civ 4" land rush from the stock random scenarios.. They carve the map up so the scenario starts with distinct countries, each with standing armies... so much more realistic, and on a random map !

I modded in a few extras like seasons for all the era's and they are pretty much all I've been playing lately.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 3
RE: A slight problem with The amazing ARHS mod - 7/6/2009 4:57:10 AM   
Jeffrey H.

Yeah, I just gave it a try and the same thing happened.

You're right, it was a pretty cool thing to play. The starting armies and the AI seems a bit sharper too. I din't have seasons on but it locked up on turn 5 which I had set to DOW the other AI players.

Kind of a nasty one....

Attachment (1)

Ron Swanson

(in reply to virgil_182)
Post #: 4
RE: A slight problem with The amazing ARHS mod - 7/6/2009 9:12:00 AM   
Zaratoughda

At some point when I last uploaded the ARHS scenarios I standardized the routines for getting countries, armies, and when war breaks out and, in the latter case you get a picture with the message that war has broken out.

And..... gee wiz, AT:WW2 does not have a picture 22.... which the other two scenarios had.

Again, I had copied the routine over and thus the 22 was in there. Fixed this and uploaded to the comunity web site.

Thanks for the feedback!

Zaratoughda

(in reply to virgil_182)
Post #: 5
RE: A slight problem with The amazing ARHS mod - 7/7/2009 7:50:24 PM   
Jeffrey H.

Ok, that fixed it. It's a fun mod for random games. I do have some commnets about the AI which I will add to the thread specifically about the AI.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Zaratoughda)
Post #: 6
RE: A slight problem with The amazing ARHS mod - 7/7/2009 9:35:05 PM   
Zaratoughda

One thing I should mention here... one option I have considered but have not implemented is a 'balanced starting countries' option.

If this option were implemented and selected the game would parce up the land like it does now, but after this first pass would add up all the cities each side got and then give a bonus to the sides that got less (with bigger bonus to sides that got much less) and then run the whole thing again, with this pass hopefully giving a much better balanced scenario.

The reason I haven't implemented this, is with large maps it already can take quite long for the land to be parsed up, and this option would mean it would take twice as long.

But, if there is interest, something I would consider.

Zaratoughda

< Message edited by Zaratoughda -- 7/7/2009 9:36:24 PM >

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 7
RE: A slight problem with The amazing ARHS mod - 7/7/2009 9:57:37 PM   
virgil_182

The more I play the more I like your idea for a second balancing pass.

It seems that, generally, the random maps end up lopsided as far as city count when country division is finished. It would be nice to just play them as is so long as the forces were decently balanced to offset this.

Granted, for many here they might prefer to play against overwhelming odds when vs the AI, but since I'm just learning the ropes I prefer the game to be at least moderately balanced.

Perhaps make it a seperate option so we can select the second pass or not when the scenario is being generated. That way we can stillplay random maps with the typical city / production imbalance if we wish.

< Message edited by virgil_182 -- 7/8/2009 2:35:25 AM >

(in reply to Zaratoughda)
Post #: 8
RE: A slight problem with The amazing ARHS mod - 7/8/2009 8:24:08 PM   
Jeffrey H.

Ditto to what Virgil said. I think we've chewed this over before in a different thread. Not quite the way it's described by Z in the above message. That method might work too given some balancing work. If it takes longer to set up it's not a big issue as long as we know about it. The problem might be that you think the game is hung and try to mash the keyboard to break the procedure. That wouldn't be a good thing to have happen.

According to Vic, it might actually be possible to use the editor to place/remove and or move cities around after the map is generated with the editor. It seemed to me that this might also be a good option to consider, however I'm a little worried about roads in this method.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to virgil_182)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> A slight problem with The amazing ARHS mod Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI