Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Waiting Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The Waiting Thread Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Waiting Thread - 7/8/2009 3:15:05 AM   
byron13

Well, since there isn't much serious discussion whilst we wait the remaining days without AE, and since most serious discussion rapidly drifts off into idle chit chat, I thought I'd start this thread for . . . . . idle chit chat. A place to use your nervous, "are we gold yet" energy and post messages on nothing. Similar, I suppose, to "The Thread."

So, sure am bored sitting here staring at the Matrix boards waiting. Weather sure is nice. Wonder if it will be this nice when I download AE? Just had some chips. They were good. I'll have to get more so I can eat them while I read the AE manual. Wonder why Erik didn't post more of the AE manual? I thought about that for a couple of hours last night until I fell asleep. Who am I kidding? I'm not going to read the manual before I start playing. Wonder how far I can get in the game without reading the manual before I realize I can't play without reading the manual? I have a real concern that I won't be able to download on D-Day because of everyone else trying to do the same. I wonder how bad it's going to be. Are we gold yet?

Sure am bored sitting here staring at the Matrix boards waiting.
Post #: 1
RE: The Waiting Thread - 7/8/2009 3:31:51 AM   
rogueusmc

quote:

ORIGINAL: byron13

...I won't be able to download on D-Day...

That was last month...oh my bad...not that 'D-day'.

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to byron13)
Post #: 2
RE: The Waiting Thread - 7/8/2009 3:36:47 AM   
AttuWatcher

What does this have to do with AE going gold? 

The weather is nice too.

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 3
RE: The Waiting Thread - 7/8/2009 4:11:49 AM   
LST Express

Its too dang hot here, February 19, 2010 would be cooler. The lost AE manuals will probably be replaced by then.

(in reply to AttuWatcher)
Post #: 4
RE: The Waiting Thread - 7/8/2009 4:22:42 AM   
TheOx

waiting....waiting......waiting.....

(in reply to LST Express)
Post #: 5
RE: The Waiting Thread - 7/8/2009 4:23:50 AM   
ColFrost

Criminy, not another thread like this.

What are you guys, fifteen? The developers must feel like a parent on a long distance drive, constantly turning around and going "We'll get there when we get there!" It's starting to get annoying. Do you think the constant badgering, even the ones in jest, are doing anyone any good? I wouldn't be surprised if more of the developers throw up their hands and go "To hell with these guys!"

If it was easy enough to do, why aren't the complainers doing it?

...the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding go out and meet it.

-Thucydides

Post #: 6
RE: The Waiting Thread - 7/8/2009 4:30:48 AM   
DivePac88

Yes perhaps it does get a bit tedious, but this one isn’t.

Remember one thing; "To hell with these guys!" these guys are their Customers, and any company that forgets that is doomed.

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to ColFrost)
Post #: 7
RE: The Waiting Thread - 7/8/2009 4:31:51 AM   
LST Express

Not complaining, just having some fun.

(in reply to ColFrost)
Post #: 8
RE: The Waiting Thread - 7/8/2009 5:18:14 AM   
TheOx

Not complaining, just want the game.

Post #: 9
RE: The Waiting Thread - 7/8/2009 5:40:52 AM   
madgamer2

My own reaction as a former player?future player is that I find some of the expressed remakes of some on this forim come close to what I would call an obsession, not saying this is bad but I think you al to be intelligent, folks and it would appear that to some of you this game is your whole alter life. Like us all you put in your time in the real world and then spend the rest wrapped up in this game.
I ad mit to being a bit one sided here because of my failure to grasp the finer points and to barely be able to beat the AI let alone a real person. I will buy AE struggle for awhile if only to support this company.
Being 68 and playing games starting in the early 80's I have never let a game or games get in the way of my real life but I also never played one like this one.
I am not willing to devote the time it would take to play a game against the computer let alone a person. I would really like to know why some of you devote so much time to a.....game in particular one that requires such a long period of time to learn and play. what is it that drives you to make such a commitment.
the one thing ZI have a real problem is that I would love to be able to play this game but after 5 years or so its no use. I am tired of all the"stick with it you'll get it" advice and I difficulty facing my inability to play even say level 5 on a 10 pt. scale a game I love. I envy you and all who play well but am also glad in a way that I am not because it will let me play this game in short bursts against the AI (assuming I can understand the production if the allied side gets some) that way nobody will know how bad a player I really am except the AI who won't tell anyone LOL

Just rambling on so will quit now as you gentle readers are quite bored by this time anyway.

Madgamer

(in reply to byron13)
Post #: 10
RE: The Waiting Thread - 7/8/2009 5:53:20 AM   
TheOx

Put simply, challenge. And a deep fascination with military history in this particular era.

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 11
RE: The Waiting Thread - 7/8/2009 6:00:19 AM   
LST Express

I'm sure theres more than a few of us that have a tough time grasping the finer points of this thing Madgamer. It's like bowling, some of us are good at that, and some aren't. Hell, I'm not that good at bowling or witp!

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 12
RE: The Waiting Thread - 7/8/2009 9:36:46 AM   
51st Highland Div

The thing i like about WitP is unlike most games which are over in a few hours of play and a brief high of satisfaction once completed, Witp just drags you deeper and deeper providing you with a much greater reward etc when seeing a long-planned amphibious op completed, with the highs and lows especially noticeable during PBEM play

https://i.ibb.co/SRBTPGK/hmsglasgowmatrix.jpg

The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Banner thanks to RogueUSMC

Post #: 13
RE: The Waiting Thread - 7/8/2009 10:30:16 AM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColFrost

What are you guys, fifteen? The developers must feel like a parent on a long distance drive, constantly turning around and going "We'll get there when we get there!" It's starting to get annoying. Do you think the constant badgering, even the ones in jest, are doing anyone any good? I wouldn't be surprised if more of the developers throw up their hands and go "To hell with these guys!"

Well...actually....some of the "complainers" ARE doing it..Fellas who in time either found fault with vanilla, or thought of things to include in future versions got together, and....voila!

(in reply to ColFrost)
Post #: 14
RE: The Waiting Thread - 7/8/2009 11:46:07 AM   
treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

quote:

Well...actually....some of the "complainers" ARE doing it..Fellas who in time either found fault with vanilla, or thought of things to include in future versions got together, and....voila!

See that quote by that Roosevelt fella in my sig line....

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 15
RE: The Waiting Thread - 7/8/2009 11:58:29 AM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

quote:

See that quote by that Roosevelt fella in my sig line....

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 16
RE: The Waiting Thread - 7/8/2009 2:05:56 PM   
drw61

I dont know what you are talking about.

I wake up, log on, look at the AE forum for the much anticipated word that it has gone gold.... go to work (spend most of the day planning how to save Java) come home, log on, look at the AE forum for the much anticipated word that it has gone gold....sleep (optional), and then start all over again.

quote:

ORIGINAL: madgamer

My own reaction as a former player?future player is that I find some of the expressed remakes of some on this forim come close to what I would call an obsession, not saying this is bad but I think you al to be intelligent, folks and it would appear that to some of you this game is your whole alter life. Like us all you put in your time in the real world and then spend the rest wrapped up in this game.

Madgamer

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 17
RE: The Waiting Thread - 7/8/2009 2:14:51 PM   
pasternakski

quote:

Well. Sounds like somebody's riding the cotton pony today...

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to ColFrost)
Post #: 18
RE: The Waiting Thread - 7/8/2009 2:17:29 PM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: LST Express

I'm sure theres more than a few of us that have a tough time grasping the finer points of this thing Madgamer. It's like bowling, some of us are good at that, and some aren't. Hell, I'm not that good at bowling or witp!

Hmmmm... howzabout combining the two? See, you set up 10 F4Fs in a triangle at the end of the alley, and then roll an A6M2 at 'em ... no, wait, we already know that the one Zero will knock down all 10 Wildcats ... oh, well, back to the drawing board ...

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

Post #: 19
RE: The Waiting Thread - 7/8/2009 4:06:32 PM   
grraven2004

I'm content to wait it out. I just found a computer version of Empire Builder. As I'm a truck driver I love logistical games. So when it shows up it shows up. Although I'm still willing to hual the manuals to the warehouse if Erik wants me too. All I ask is for a free copy of da game.

Human by birth

Klingon By choice!

Sig changed per Erik's request

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 20
RE: The Waiting Thread - 7/8/2009 4:24:20 PM   
bobogoboom

There is only one true thread repent heathens and join the light that is THE THREAD!!!

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.
Member Texas Thread Mafia.

Sig art by rogueusmc

(in reply to grraven2004)
Post #: 21
RE: The Waiting Thread - 7/8/2009 4:32:01 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: drw61

I dont know what you are talking about.

I wake up, log on, look at the AE forum for the much anticipated word that it has gone gold.... go to work (spend most of the day planning how to save Java) come home, log on, look at the AE forum for the much anticipated word that it has gone gold....sleep (optional), and then start all over again.

Ahh, the wonders of WitP-AE celibacy. I have not a care in the world and can scoff at the poor souls addicted to this insidious version of crack.

(in reply to drw61)
Post #: 22
RE: The Waiting Thread - 7/8/2009 6:18:23 PM   
kaleun

Lights pipe, inhales.....
Nah, Where is AE?

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 23
RE: The Waiting Thread - 7/8/2009 6:20:52 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: bobogoboom

There is only one true thread repent heathens and join the light that is THE THREAD!!!

Well...I cannot deny being a heathen....At home, I am barefoot as much as possible..My wife from Wisconsin thinks she married a hillbilly..In the winter, I walk the wolf in my bare feet......

(in reply to bobogoboom)
Post #: 24
RE: The Waiting Thread - 7/8/2009 9:45:24 PM   
madgamer2

I would say your words are true to the mark. I do not like to talk about what amounts to a mental disability but I am not able to make long range plans in things such as games. I can manage tactical/operational games much better but its games like WitP that I love but have problems thinking ahead and paying attention to detail that is my problem.
I can enjoy the game for its historical nature but in AE with even more depth and a longer learning curve I will have to see. Heck I can not even play the Jap side against the AI because I have no clue how to do the production.
Perhaps one day I will get into a PBEM game with someone who says they are not good either and have an AAR for all the good players to get a laugh or two out of.

Madgamer

(in reply to 51st Highland Div)
Post #: 25
RE: The Waiting Thread - 7/8/2009 10:24:44 PM   
langleyCV1

Hi All
August 7th would be my take on the release date! (Guadalcanal landings) Having said that all my other efforts to pick the date were wrong so I will hope its sooner than this.

MJT

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 26
RE: The Waiting Thread - 7/8/2009 10:25:25 PM   
Buck Beach

quote:

ORIGINAL: madgamer

I would say your words are true to the mark. I do not like to talk about what amounts to a mental disability but I am not able to make long range plans in things such as games. I can manage tactical/operational games much better but its games like WitP that I love but have problems thinking ahead and paying attention to detail that is my problem.
I can enjoy the game for its historical nature but in AE with even more depth and a longer learning curve I will have to see. Heck I can not even play the Jap side against the AI because I have no clue how to do the production.
Perhaps one day I will get into a PBEM game with someone who says they are not good either and have an AAR for all the good players to get a laugh or two out of.

Madgamer

I feel your pain. I'm going on 67 and I find it harder every day to manage mental tasks that were slam dunks when I was younger and middle age. Concentration for more that a few minutes or hour is difficult. I constantly have to read and re-read/or relearn instructions and procedures.. Setting up TVs, remote controls, computer systems, etc end up being long drawn tasks with much frustration.

These things won't discourage me from buying and playing (albeit solo) AE

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 27
RE: The Waiting Thread - 7/9/2009 4:02:17 AM   
byron13

quote:

To the contrary. If you look at what's been posted over the past week, there ain't nuthin. Nobody's even complaining anymore. I think everyone's pooped of posting. Everything's been discussed, explained, complained about. There's nothing left but the wait. Since there's little left to talk about, but checking the forum and posting is a habit, this thread is just a place to post about . . . nothing. Hmmm . . . reminds me of Seinfeld.

Need a serious topic? How about this: what snack and food combo you going to have when you boot up AE for the first time? Gotta figure it's going to turn into one of those 4 a.m. affairs so I'll want something good.

(in reply to ColFrost)
Post #: 28
RE: The Waiting Thread - 7/9/2009 4:22:56 AM   
thegreatwent

quote:

what snack and food combo you going to have when you boot up AE for the first time?

If playing the Allies, chips and a couple beers. If Japan edamame and chilled sake

(in reply to byron13)
Post #: 29
RE: The Waiting Thread - 7/9/2009 12:17:07 PM   
Flying Tiger

quote:

Need a serious topic? How about this: what snack and food combo you going to have when you boot up AE for the first time? Gotta figure it's going to turn into one of those 4 a.m. affairs so I'll want something good.

didn't we all have this conversation before?? In a different thread? Or am i going senile too??

Anyway, what the hell.... COFFEE, and lots of it. And if i'm really lucky my wife will bring me a plate of something delicious sometime before she goes to bed. life is tough.....

(in reply to thegreatwent)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The Waiting Thread Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI