Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game Over? Sure-Fire Win Found for Japanese!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Game Over? Sure-Fire Win Found for Japanese! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game Over? Sure-Fire Win Found for Japanese! - 6/1/2002 7:12:16 AM   
IceCreamSolider

hi all

first post, so i am by no means an expert, but i think i have found a way to win everytime when i play the Decision in the South Pacific scenerio (the longest one) as the Japanese (against a computer allies team).

i simply make a full-effort attack and base build-up at Lunga, and then fly all my land-based planes there. i park my two main carriers and my light carrier with React To Enemy orders either in the Lunga port or just north of it - and wait. Inevitably, the American carriers come snooping around off Lunga and all my land-based and carrier-based planes smash both Allied carriers - usually sending them both to the bottom, with maybe only one of my carriers sunk. i have repeated this feat three times in a row.

my question is, does this mean game over? i mean, should i even continue the scenerio? it seems that the Yanks have no chance now that they always lose both their carriers to me early. it seems like it is pretty much a forgone conclusion that i will win - now that i can move and invade with almost total impunity (at least from mid-may until whenever his Hornet (?) shows up - at which time i will have additional carriers as well).

i am thinking of restarting the scenerio and playing as the Allies. they were perhaps the "underdog" this early in the war, and that means it will be more of a challange.

what does everyone else like playing? The Axis or The Allies? i greatly prefer playing the long scenerio - will it be more of a challange as the Allies?

BTW - I LOVE THIS FREAKIN' GAME!!!!!!!!!!

it is the best game i have EVER played on the computer - no question. thanks 2by3 for giving us such a great "grognard" game. i am really looking forward to PacWar too - and taking it to the next level of experience. UNV is a great precurser to PW - i'm really learning the game - which will make PW a breeze to jump right into. i'm really glad we did not have to wait for PW to get a taste of great "grognard" war-gaming.

sorry this is so way too long. hope to hear some opinions!

ics

p.s. i know that playin with another human is the best answer, but that is not in the cards right now. hopefully someday!
Post #: 1
Good start - 6/1/2002 7:41:21 AM   
mogami

Hi, Its a good start but not quite an instant win. The problem is the amount of time it takes to move men and material. Of course the AI just keeps sending surface TF's at Lunga and one at a time carriers. If you leave Port Moresby intact you will be in for a nasty time once they deploy newer fighters and start using the B-17s against Rabaul. If the AI withholds commiting his replacement carriers he should have 3 by Mid-late July. In TF's with the CLAA and high cap settings, staying out of Japanese LBA air they can protect their bases. (3 US CV have 108 fighters 108 SBD and 45-48 TBD a potent force) Go at least till Jan first and let us know what happens.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to IceCreamSolider)
Post #: 2
- 6/1/2002 10:50:44 AM   
Hartmann

Yup, PM has to go, else it will be uncomfortable in Rabaul later. :)

Btw, this is again an example showing why one (comparably little) change in the AI would be beneficial - the AI should just not send out its carriers one at a time provided the next one is due soon (unless they have intelligence that the human player has no operational carriers at the time). I´m sure this would have some immediate positive effect on difficulty.

Hartmann

Post #: 3
- 6/1/2002 5:35:05 PM   
IKerensky

Nope it dont.

I am curerntly in mid july and have lost 4 CV to 1CV and 1 Cvl to Japanese. And believe it or not I am winning.

LUnga is build as a size 4 airfield, as is Gili Gili. Lae is history and Shortland start to become my next ranging parctice. With those 2 base eliminated even 4 japanese CV wont be able to really affect me. At worst case I will just wait my transport south of Lunga until I finnaly sink/turn them off. My CL night run protecting the harbour.

CV are nice but against a suze 4 base they just cant do anything, they cant cruise for weeks they need to try to reduce it and contrarily to a CV force even if 10 to 30 bomber go through the CAP it wont be enough to do any actual arm on the target.

Post #: 4
thanks! - 6/2/2002 3:50:25 AM   
IceCreamSolider

hi
thanks for the input - it is all right-on. i am going to play it out for a few more months and then see. already i am being harrassed by American cruisers. i will post my results and thoughts to this tread someday (i play each turn pretty slow, as i relish the gameplay). thanks again for the helpful input!
ics

Post #: 5
- 6/2/2002 9:22:24 AM   
Capt Cliff

As Han Solo told Obewane.." it's fine against remotes, but it's another against the living.." Try a PBEM game!

Capt. Cliff

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Game Over? Sure-Fire Win Found for Japanese! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI