Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Time for PBEM realism rules?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Time for PBEM realism rules? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Time for PBEM realism rules? - 6/1/2002 9:43:04 PM   
mdpeyrot

Now that we all know how to exploit various aspects of the game, I think we have enough experiance to start compiling some optional rules that players can choose to abide by for PBEM games. I'm thinking something along the lines of Fionn's rules for Combat Mission. Something codified so everyone knows what's up, if they choose to use them.

some starting points:
1. Mine warfare: the biggie - definitely need some limits here
2. Sub use: where they can be based, etc.
3. Invasion size: games allows larger invasions than were historically possible (Someone had a PACWAR rule for this IIRC - # of divisions allowed at certain time periods).

etc...

Thoughts?

Post #: 1
- 6/1/2002 10:13:12 PM   
JohnK

Speaking of invasion size...

Everything you read about the SW Pac is the DESPERATE shortage of shipping (both regular and amphibious assault) that both sides faced...including the allied side.

Now, does anyone EVER feel desperately short of shipping while playing the allies, for example, in UV? No.

One thing is that you shouldn't really be able to use AKs to assault land troops on a hostile hex; they had nothing to do so with. They're just plain old freighters, basically. APs carried small assault boats.

Reading histories of the real campaign, the number of ships to transport, say, a RCT or regiment or division SEEMS about right in UV.

So it's not clear to me why it doesn't FEEL like you're short of shipping. I suspect more of the shipping was tied up in routine convoys than it is in the game.

Also, shipping should be withdrawn at times, I suspect...it just keeps building up. In reality, the Torch landings, Invasion of Sicily, actually caused shipping to get WITHDRAWN from the Pacific.

(in reply to mdpeyrot)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Time for PBEM realism rules? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI