Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game makes laptop HOT

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Time of Wrath >> Game makes laptop HOT Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game makes laptop HOT - 7/17/2009 4:25:12 AM   
LarryP

I play a lot of games on my laptop and usually the real time strategy games keep the fan on the longest. However, WW2-ToW keeps the laptop hotter than any game I have played.

Anyone else notice this?
Post #: 1
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/17/2009 4:36:18 AM   
Anthropoid

Pretty sure they do that more and more as they age too. I'd suggest one of those laptop fans to help cool it, but in my experience they also wear out pretty fast.

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 2
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/17/2009 4:42:51 AM   
LarryP

This is a new laptop, a Dell 1540 Inspiron:
Dual core 2.54 gig
4 gigs ram
Vista Home Premium
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330 (512 megs vram)
300 gig HD
Excellent fan system

Nothing running in the background and everything is optimized, like chkdsk, defragged, etc..

It runs this game hotter by far than any other game and I play a lot on this. A wide variety.

< Message edited by LarryP -- 7/18/2009 3:15:44 PM >

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 3
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/17/2009 6:15:41 AM   
Severian

It's wierd. On my laptop:
Win XP
Dual Core 1.73GHz
1GB RAM
Integrated Grahpic Card
80GB HDD
There is no problems with cooling when I'm playing ToW...

War, war never changes... but are you sure? Bitter Glory

Put an apple in your mouth, we'll play Wilhelm Tell - "Hawkeye" Pierce to Frank Burns

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 4
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/17/2009 6:29:21 AM   
Anthropoid

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

This is a new laptop, a Dell 1510 Inspiron:
4 gigs ram
Vista Home Premium
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330 (512 megs vram)
300 gig HD
Excellent fan system

Nothing running in the background and everything is optimized, like chkdsk, defragged, etc..

It runs this game hotter by far than any other game and I play a lot on this. A wide variety.

That sounds like a pretty solid rig. I sure ain't no hardware expert by any means, but I've tried to learn a bit from my online buddies. Only thing I would guess could be doing it, and I could be totally wrong: power supply on your laptop might be small? Front serial bus is another bottleneck on the chip-mobo connection that rarely gets mentioned when they sometimes sell you some 'hot' new fast cpu, though I don't know if that would cause more spinning and thus more heat and fan.

It seems pretty obvious that the game is causing lots of calculations and so more heat . . . maybe it is software specific? Wish i could be more helpful; that stuff is very annoying.

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 5
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/17/2009 7:29:06 AM   
doomtrader

Most probably it's GPU issue.

On my desktop I've got ATI X1950Pro and it's spinning like a crazy, my son has got Nvida 8800GT and it's all quiet.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 6
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/17/2009 9:24:31 AM   
Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: doomtrader

Most probably it's GPU issue.

On my desktop I've got ATI X1950Pro and it's spinning like a crazy, my son has got Nvida 8800GT and it's all quiet.

IIRC x1950 pro had a fan that always run at very high speeds. 8800GT was never a top model so its fan didnt need to run at such speeds.

My gtx280 is a bit noisy on default settings if really taxed but I used rivatuner to set the fan-speed according to coretemp and now its pretty silent and with decent temps.

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 7
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/17/2009 12:04:20 PM   
doomtrader

quote:

IIRC x1950 pro had a fan that always run at very high speeds. 8800GT was never a top model so its fan didnt need to run at such speeds.

I took another look at my son's computer specs and the GPU is so silent because it's with Silent Pipe

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 8
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/17/2009 12:43:17 PM   
Erik Rutins

Doesn't run hot on my laptop either - have you checked to see if you have a dust build-up? Last time my laptop started getting hot while gaming, cleaning out the dust in the GPU fan/filter area solved that problem. Other than that, maybe this is just more demanding than other games you've run - but it doesn't really make my laptop break much of a sweat.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 9
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/17/2009 2:23:56 PM   
SlickWilhelm

Yes, with ToW installed and running, that beautiful map makes my laptop looks positively smokin' hot!

Oh, you mean hot as in temperature? Nevermind!

Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 10
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/17/2009 3:17:53 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Doesn't run hot on my laptop either - have you checked to see if you have a dust build-up? Last time my laptop started getting hot while gaming, cleaning out the dust in the GPU fan/filter area solved that problem. Other than that, maybe this is just more demanding than other games you've run - but it doesn't really make my laptop break much of a sweat.

Well, I got the laptop in May, so it's only been running about two months for 2-3 hours at night at the very most, and not every night. The fan has not turned on that much, except for games like this. I suppose it could have a little dust build up. I blow out all my PC's every few months.

I have a few games that make it hotter than most, but they are real time games that are constantly making decisions. I was surprised when this game beat them all in heat.

Does your laptop feel warm when you lay your hand on top of it? How warm does it get with ToW?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 11
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/17/2009 3:26:05 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

That sounds like a pretty solid rig. I sure ain't no hardware expert by any means, but I've tried to learn a bit from my online buddies. Only thing I would guess could be doing it, and I could be totally wrong: power supply on your laptop might be small? Front serial bus is another bottleneck on the chip-mobo connection that rarely gets mentioned when they sometimes sell you some 'hot' new fast cpu, though I don't know if that would cause more spinning and thus more heat and fan.

It seems pretty obvious that the game is causing lots of calculations and so more heat . . . maybe it is software specific? Wish i could be more helpful; that stuff is very annoying.

I don't know about the power supply. I would think if that were the problem then everything would run warm.

The heat is definitely coming from the video card and you may be right about it being software specific. I thought this game would be another perfect turn based game to run on my laptop, as between turns there should not be that much computing going on to warm things up. However, something is. I am also the only one with this problem so far, so it may be my laptop.

Annoying... it sure is. Thanks for your help.

< Message edited by LarryP -- 7/17/2009 3:27:47 PM >

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 12
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/17/2009 3:33:27 PM   
doomtrader

Does anyone with the Nvidia card found the game hot?

All the programmers I know (not only from Wastelands Interactive) are keep talking "damn ATI cards", or maybe in other words, they never used damn and Nvidia in one sentence.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 13
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/17/2009 4:25:25 PM   
Kurak

Try to decrease AI thread priority in game preferences, no guarantee it will help but it's possible

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 14
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/17/2009 6:35:02 PM   
Uxbridge

I have Nvidia. Can't say whether the computer runs warm with ToW since it always does, but I have noticed a tremendous slowdown in everything. I first installed the game on my principal computer, which has XP and where I do most of my work and have all mail correspondence. It became so slow it was impossible to play. Fair enough, I thought, the XP being rather old these days. So I moved the game to my new Vista-computer, where most games with high-resolution and flashy graphics are run. It was better, but I noticed a certain slowness even here. There's a distinctive delay, for example, when moving the cartridge symbol, making it a bit difficult to make a number of fast movements of units.

I also noticed that if you left the game to do something else (I'm now back with the PC), everything was extremely slow. Typing in Word gave a "two letters per second rate", so when I wrote something I could then lean back and watch my own text appear, letter for letter. Don't know much of such things, but it seems to me that if I'm not doing anything with the game for a while, there shouldn't be any activity from the game either. Could it be something within it "looping"? 

< Message edited by Uxbridge -- 7/17/2009 6:36:27 PM >

(in reply to Kurak)
Post #: 15
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/17/2009 6:36:03 PM   
LarryP

I ran some tests with my desktop machine that runs an NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS. Here they are:

Desktop idling temp 131-133 F degrees
RtW 136 F
ToW set to lowest AI 149 F
ToW set to Highest AI 144 F
Fallout3 167 F

I let each game idle for at least thirty minutes. It's interesting that the lowest AI setting for ToW ran five degrees hotter than the highest setting.

EDIT:
I did another test with ToW:
ToW set to lowest AI 140 F

Very strange. Of course this is entirely dependent on my system. Kind of fickle.

< Message edited by LarryP -- 7/17/2009 11:17:27 PM >

(in reply to Kurak)
Post #: 16
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/18/2009 6:14:39 AM   
blam0

Maybe I can shed some light. Heat is directly indicative of processing power.  So the 2.4Ghz Dual core machine with 4GB of mem and the go-fast video card will be hotter than the dual core 1.7Ghz machine every time---given identical cooling.  Even at idle (measuring heat when fully loaded is probably a more accurate gauge).

Now what really makes a high end machine is the cooling.  It is well known that cooler computers are faster than hotter machines.  Accordingly, high end gaming machines almost always come with liquid cooling systems, and if they don't I'd question how high end they are. The Inspiron is a nice machine, and clearly available with some nice options, but it's not built as a gaming platform, but more of a jack-of-all-trades.

I hope this helps.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 17
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/18/2009 3:40:08 PM   
LarryP

I helped my heating problem a lot by putting 3/4" thick strips under the feet of my laptop. It probably dropped the temp about 10-15 degrees. I also don't run it on my lap, I have it on a tray that's on my lap. That way it's easy to insert the strips too.

This is my first laptop as I have always had desktops only. I always wondered how in the world they cooled them enough. Now I know... sometimes they don't.

(in reply to blam0)
Post #: 18
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/18/2009 8:22:00 PM   
oldspec4

I have a related problem w/ my video card running much hotter w/ this game. A vanilla Nvdia 6800 that stays generally under 75c at load is running at 93-94c after 15 minutes here .

I just ran a 15 minute close combat battle to compare. At end of the 15 minutes card was at 68c.

I don't see the graphics demand of this game to be excessive but its definitely pushing my card.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 19
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/18/2009 9:30:13 PM   
cdbeck

I bought an Antec Notebook cooler for my Dell FPS (they run hot) which has a nVidia 8600M GT in it. It works rather well in keeping it down to the lower than 80 range. I may get ToW this weekend, I'll let you know if I experience similar stuff.

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 20
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/18/2009 9:53:33 PM   
Banquet

I'm running a 8600m GT card on a laptop and it's fine for me :)

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 21
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/18/2009 10:12:35 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort

I bought an Antec Notebook cooler for my Dell FPS (they run hot) which has a nVidia 8600M GT in it. It works rather well in keeping it down to the lower than 80 range. I may get ToW this weekend, I'll let you know if I experience similar stuff.

SoM

I've been looking at buying one of those laptop coolers. The one I like has two USB fans in it and props the laptop up about 7/8" inch. $30 is what I found it to cost. I don't remember the name of it now as I have it bookmarked on my laptop and I'm at the desktop.

EDIT: Here is the link for this laptop cooler:
Laptop Cooler

< Message edited by LarryP -- 7/19/2009 2:33:11 AM >

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 22
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/18/2009 10:13:59 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldspec4

I have a related problem w/ my video card running much hotter w/ this game. A vanilla Nvdia 6800 that stays generally under 75c at load is running at 93-94c after 15 minutes here .

I don't see the graphics demand of this game to be excessive but its definitely pushing my card.

I'm not alone finally.

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 23
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/19/2009 4:17:35 AM   
LarryP

I was playing ToW tonight on the laptop and after 1/2 turn I had to exit. Too hot!

Next I went right into RtV and played it for quite a while, cool as can be. Fan never even turned on.

Seems that for a turn based game, it should run cooler.

Has the development team run a profiler on the code? I really like this game and I want to play it at night on my laptop, but right now I can't.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 24
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/19/2009 4:39:44 AM   
Anthropoid

I had a Dell laptop that finally died from gaming: hot all the time. Mobo finally fried. I worked with it for months with those "laptop cooler" devices. Went through at least two of them, maybe three. The gaming I was doing at tha time was almost entirely Civ3, not the version with the hot graphics, it was still 2d at that stage.

Then I heard guys telling me stuff like the dude above, blamO is saying: laptops are not really suitable for gaming, use a tower with more fans, better case to move air, biggest power supply you can manage, get a mobo that is upgradable and has a bigger Front serial bus, don't get a 'cheap' chip, but no need for the fastest, and get a decent vide card, rest is a matter of taste . . ."

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 25
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/19/2009 2:56:03 PM   
oldspec4

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

I was playing ToW tonight on the laptop and after 1/2 turn I had to exit. Too hot!

Next I went right into RtV and played it for quite a while, cool as can be. Fan never even turned on.

Seems that for a turn based game, it should run cooler.

Has the development team run a profiler on the code? I really like this game and I want to play it at night on my laptop, but right now I can't.

FYI..played the game for an hour on my desktop. As I noted in my post above, the video card runs hotter w/ the game. But also checked system ambient temp this time. Ambient normally at 49-50c after gaming use. Ambient up to 60c after one hour of gameplay; and now back to 49c.

I'm not redlining my temps but does seem strange for a 2-D game.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 26
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/19/2009 3:00:26 PM   
doomtrader

What I can say is that we will take a deep look at the optimization of the GPU for the first patch.

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 27
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/19/2009 3:38:05 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

I had a Dell laptop that finally died from gaming: hot all the time. Mobo finally fried. I worked with it for months with those "laptop cooler" devices. Went through at least two of them, maybe three. The gaming I was doing at tha time was almost entirely Civ3, not the version with the hot graphics, it was still 2d at that stage.

So those laptop coolers may not be all that great?

I have had all the Civilization games and Civ3 should not be one to heat a PC I would think. Any turn based game should not accelerate heat in a game like I have been seeing. I have one other game that heats my laptop up like ToW, but it's a RTS which makes more sense and has a ton of calculations constantly.

Which Dell laptop did you fry?

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 28
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/19/2009 3:45:24 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldspec4

FYI..played the game for an hour on my desktop. As I noted in my post above, the video card runs hotter w/ the game. But also checked system ambient temp this time. Ambient normally at 49-50c after gaming use. Ambient up to 60c after one hour of gameplay; and now back to 49c.

I'm not redlining my temps but does seem strange for a 2-D game.

I'm afraid to play this for an hour. I get about thirty minutes in and it's too hot then.

I may have to resign myself to the fact that this laptop, even though it's got an excellent CPU and a great video card, it may not be suited for a lot of games. Games like OOTP-10, RtV, and TOAW3 run perfectly and they are great games. I wanted to buy the Dell XPS laptop, but that was $1,000 more and I didn't want to spend that much. That is more suited for laptop gaming. Live and learn.

< Message edited by LarryP -- 7/19/2009 3:54:20 PM >

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 29
RE: Game makes laptop HOT - 7/19/2009 3:47:46 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: doomtrader

What I can say is that we will take a deep look at the optimization of the GPU for the first patch.

Thank you!

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Time of Wrath >> Game makes laptop HOT Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI