Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scenarios WISH LIST

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenarios WISH LIST Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scenarios WISH LIST - 7/20/2009 10:58:29 PM   
damezzi

I have a suggestion, but I don't know if it will be welcome. In fact, I don't even know if it has been already done in the past.
Sometime we find almost redundant scenario designs while other conflicts weren't represented or were represented by badly designed scenarios. I don't really know the list of scenarios done for Toaw, since I'm not of the kind that downloads everything done, increasing my library only when planning to play something, but I'm aware that there are players who know almost every scenario made for the game.
The idea is to create a scenario wish list that could be made sticky in order to guide those willing to create a new scenario, by not only stating which scenario one would like to see done, but also which scenarios (in the period covered by Toaw) weren't done or well done, so we could help close the gap and make this game even more comprehensive.
Well, the suggestion is placed.
Post #: 1
RE: Scenarios WISH LIST - 7/21/2009 7:15:35 AM   
berto

More WWII Pacific Theater scenarios, especially of smaller-scale battles and some of the more obscure (or infrequently portrayed) engagements, please.

For example:

• Not just top-level Guadalcanal, but specific, zoomed-in, smaller-scale battles (Tenaru, Edson's Ridge, Matanikau, etc.). Same goes for New Guinea, Philippines, Okinawa, and other campaigns already modded at the top level.
  • Campaigns and battles that, AFAIK, have never been modded (Bataan, Bougainville, Leyte, Philippines 1945, Dutch East Indies, Aleutians, etc.)
  • Redone, improved scenarios (e.g., Munda/New Georgia).

WWII Pacific scenarios are virtually all I ever play with TOAW.

< Message edited by berto -- 7/28/2009 8:41:48 AM >

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to damezzi)
Post #: 2
RE: Scenarios WISH LIST - 7/21/2009 4:39:37 PM   
vahauser

quote:

ORIGINAL: berto

More WWII Pacific Theater scenarios, especially of smaller-scale battles and some of the more obscure (or infrequently portrayed) engagements, please.

For example:

• Not just top-level Guadalcanal, but specific, zoomed-in, smaller-scale battles (Tenaru, Edson's Ridge, Matanikau, etc.). Same goes for New Guinea, Philippines, Okinawa, and other campaigns already modded at the top level.
  • Campaigns and battles that, AFAIK, have never been modded (Bataan, Bougainville, Leyte, Philippines 1945, Indonesia, Aleutians, etc.)
  • Redone, improved scenarios (e.g., Munda/New Georgia).

WWII Pacific scenarios are virtually all I ever play with TOAW.

berto,

I think that what you want is a more tactically-oriented game. TOAW doesn't work very well at the low end of the map/time scale. TOAW is an operational game, not a tactical game. You probably should look for a tactical game to play instead of TOAW.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 3
RE: Scenarios WISH LIST - 7/21/2009 6:41:43 PM   
berto

For tactical play, I have the John Tiller Campaign Series of games, and I prefer playing Rising Sun for that, too.

I was under the impression that TOAW could be taken to a level simulating, for example, Buna-Gona, Wau, Salamaua-Lae, etc. (See the recent "Bloody Tarawa" TOAW scenario experiment.) TOAW may not be optimal at that level, but I thought it could be done.

I served as a U.S. Peace Corps Volunteer in the northern Philippines. I've lived in the Philippines for six years, visited the Yamashita Shrine in Ifugao, also the Dalton Pass battle site (among others), my Filipina wife's parents tell tales of the war, and she has an uncle who survived the Bataan Death March and several months of confinement at Camp O'Donnell. I'd be mighty interested in TOAW scenarios for Bataan '42 and Philippines '45. And some of the other non-Philippines scenarios mentioned, too. Outside of TOAW, I doubt that any other game will give me those gaming experiences.

It's not so much the scale that interests me (I prefer operational) as the subject matter. There are plenty more WWII Pacific scenarios that could be done (and redone) for TOAW.

< Message edited by berto -- 7/28/2009 8:42:49 AM >

Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to vahauser)
Post #: 4
RE: Scenarios WISH LIST - 7/28/2009 12:02:55 AM   
berto

Am I the only player with a new/revised scenario wish list?!

Is this forum dead or something?

Or maybe everybody else is away downloading/playing WitP:AE?

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 5
RE: Scenarios WISH LIST - 7/28/2009 1:51:01 AM   
damezzi

quote:

quote:

Yep. It seems each time more difficult to get a feedback in this forum. I've placed this thread, since I thought most players should have desired scenarios, this forum needs some activity and technical issues seems to be in a halt waiting for 3.4.

There are always people logged in, but even the simplest questions seems to remain for a long time unanswered. Something seems to be causing a lack of stimulus. I have asked myself if people are migrating to another operational game.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 6
RE: Scenarios WISH LIST - 7/28/2009 3:00:14 AM   
Dr. Foo

quote:

I can only answer for myself. I do not have a wish list because if I want a scenario I research the units involved (or may be involved) I create a map of the battlefield and I create my scenario.

Unless you lack the time or interest to learn how to use the editor there is no reason not to do so. You do not need a great deal of skill to create a halfway decent map. It just takes time but once you get the hang of it you will find that it is quite easy. Crating units is very easy and you can be as detailed with the TO&E as you wish or just go with generic layouts it's up to you. Everything you need is included with the game you can even edit the database if you wish and change weapon values or create new equipment.

Yes, it might look daunting at first glance but I assure it will not take long to become familiar with the basics and you can always ask advance questions in the scenario forum. Go for it!

< Message edited by Dr. Foo -- 7/28/2009 8:05:15 PM >

*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 7
RE: Scenarios WISH LIST - 7/28/2009 8:50:20 AM   
berto

Rolling my own scenarios? I lack (a) time, (b) adequate references, and (c) inclination. What can I say? I'm a parasite (just a consumer)!

(in reply to Dr. Foo)
Post #: 8
RE: Scenarios WISH LIST - 7/28/2009 2:58:52 PM   
macgregor

I've been hoping to see two large scenarios covering each major theater of WW2 that would have a certain amount of variable entry pieces allowing the representation of inter-map movement. The scenarios are pretty much there but would need to be re-vamped. Anything on that scale would benefit(hopefully) from the augmentations of a TOAW 4. I'm not too optimistic about a 'TOAW 4' however. The indicators are that it's either on the far back burner or off the stove entirely.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 9
RE: Scenarios WISH LIST - 7/28/2009 4:14:07 PM   
Curtis Lemay

The scenarios I'd like to see all require serious expansions to TOAW's abilities. In fact, I have a completed scenario right now that I'm holding back until some expected final enhancements to 3.4 (hopefully) get included.

I'd like to have some real naval warfare features implemented - then we might do Pacific campaigns better than WitP.

I'd like to have some of the Pre-20th Century features implemented - then we might make an American Civil War game better than (I forget the name) Matrix's new Civil War thing. Then add Napoleonic campaigns, etc.

I'd like to have more range for scenario scale - both hexes and turn intervals. Think of a ETO scenario with monthly or seasonal turns. Or think of those tiny Pacific Island ideas of Berto.

I'd like to have support for a true production system (again, think of an ETO game - or just an East Front game).

I don't want much, do I?

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 10
RE: Scenarios WISH LIST - 7/28/2009 4:54:55 PM   
macgregor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

The scenarios I'd like to see all require serious expansions to TOAW's abilities. In fact, I have a completed scenario right now that I'm holding back until some expected final enhancements to 3.4 (hopefully) get included.

I'd like to have some real naval warfare features implemented - then we might do Pacific campaigns better than WitP.

I'd like to have some of the Pre-20th Century features implemented - then we might make an American Civil War game better than (I forget the name) Matrix's new Civil War thing. Then add Napoleonic campaigns, etc.

I'd like to have more range for scenario scale - both hexes and turn intervals. Think of a ETO scenario with monthly or seasonal turns. Or think of those tiny Pacific Island ideas of Berto.

I'd like to have support for a true production system (again, think of an ETO game - or just an East Front game).

I don't want much, do I?

Amen on all points. I had no idea you shared those interests with me. Maybe there is hope after all.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 11
RE: Scenarios WISH LIST - 7/28/2009 6:16:15 PM   
damezzi

Yes, it`s refreshing. The will to compete with WitP in what WitP does better is, at least, indicative of some remnant ambition. Ambition was lacking here.

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 12
RE: Scenarios WISH LIST - 7/28/2009 7:25:57 PM   
berto

quote:

++1

quote:

++1

Post #: 13
RE: Scenarios WISH LIST - 7/28/2009 7:31:43 PM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: damezzi

Yes, it`s refreshing. The will to compete with WitP in what WitP does better is, at least, indicative of some remnant ambition. Ambition was lacking here.

The purported deficiencies in WitP's land combat model were a big factor in my refraining from buying that game. I will likely purchase AE in the near future. I'm hoping that AE's land combat model satisfies.

Better, if possible, fix TOAW's air and naval deficiencies. Better, because TOAW is by far the more playable game.

(in reply to damezzi)
Post #: 14
RE: Scenarios WISH LIST - 8/4/2009 9:24:48 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

Dunno. Operational Art is more or less irrelevant in the Pacific Theatre. Wouldn't it make more sense to develop the land operations simulation in WitP to be able to cope with the rather limited scope of island fighting rather than reinventing the wheel by building a naval engine for TOAW- which would have to be done more or less from scratch?

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to damezzi)
Post #: 15
RE: Scenarios WISH LIST - 8/4/2009 9:35:40 PM   
JMass

quote:

No, I would like to play more small/medium division/regimental/battalion scenarios on the Eastern Front...

"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern!"Generaloberst Heinz Wilhelm Guderian

My boardgames collection: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/JMass?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 16
RE: Scenarios WISH LIST - 8/5/2009 4:40:11 AM   
macgregor

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious
Dunno. Operational Art is more or less irrelevant in the Pacific Theatre. Wouldn't it make more sense to develop the land operations simulation in WitP to be able to cope with the rather limited scope of island fighting rather than reinventing the wheel by building a naval engine for TOAW- which would have to be done more or less from scratch?

If you are referring to the hunk of code that is TOAW3 -because you've looked at it, that took far less time to create than it has to improve, I would have to defer. But if you are saying that you see no need for a multi-era operational level simulator that effectively represents naval and related air ops in addition to the level of detail for ground combat TOAW provides, I'm going to have to ask ...in God's name why?

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 17
RE: Scenarios WISH LIST - 8/5/2009 5:53:49 AM   
damezzi

quote:

quote:

I quoted WitP because it was the reference Curtis used to state what could be made with a better naval warfare system. As Macgregor states, being multi-era is the main advantage of Toaw and WitP would continue to be limited to WWI pacific theatre even with better land operations.
I'm a little indifferent in relation to the pacific theatre, which means that WitP with a better land operation engine isn't for me, at least.
Having a better naval and air system would be great for the whole range of toaw scenarios. I can speak better for air, about which I know a little, and having a better air representation would greatly improve some scenarios without leaving the operational scope.

Post #: 18
RE: Scenarios WISH LIST - 8/6/2009 7:10:50 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: macgregor

If you are referring to the hunk of code that is TOAW3 -because you've looked at it, that took far less time to create than it has to improve, I would have to defer. But if you are saying that you see no need for a multi-era operational level simulator that effectively represents naval and related air ops in addition to the level of detail for ground combat TOAW provides, I'm going to have to ask ...in God's name why?

Curtis' statement was;

"I'd like to have some real naval warfare features implemented - then we might do Pacific campaigns better than WitP."

My point was that since WitP currently models the Pacific fairly well, and TOAW doesn't even beging to model that theatre, it would make more sense logically to use WitP as a starting point. Your supposed universal war simulator is quite a different creature altogether and I don't see any reference to that in this thread prior to my post.

As to my thoughts on such a system- it would be great. I'll make it one of my three wishes.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 8/6/2009 7:11:54 PM >

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 19
RE: Scenarios WISH LIST - 8/7/2009 4:00:08 AM   
macgregor

I don't have WITP so I can't really compare. It looks good though the consensus appears to be that TOAW has a better ground model. You can criticize the several TOAW scens that depict the Pacific as ineffective, though I think the effort was a valuable step toward gaining a vantage point on what was possible, as well as lacking. I'm not a programmer, but more I see the more I think perhaps I should've become one, for I can envision the logical progression of TOAW into a naval and strategic simulator second to none. Needless to say, I'm feeling very lonely these days. C'mon WiF!!!!

Post #: 20
RE: Scenarios WISH LIST - 8/7/2009 4:27:43 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

My point was that since WitP currently models the Pacific fairly well, and TOAW doesn't even beging to model that theatre, it would make more sense logically to use WitP as a starting point.

WitP has ~100km hexes and it's stuck with them. It doesn't have a map editor at all. That means that TOAW can already do certain Pacific topics better than WitP can (Okinawa, Luzon, China, Operation Olympic, etc. - wherever ground combat dominates and naval combat does not). If we had any sort of decent Naval Engine, then any campaign could be focused on far clearer than WitP could ever do. It's a long way off in either case, but TOAW is actually closer to that goal than WitP, since it has already got ground combat wrung out, and it has its powerful editor built in.

Post #: 21
RE: Scenarios WISH LIST - 8/7/2009 7:45:45 PM   
berto

I can't help with code or scenario development, but if you need a beta tester for any new TOAW Pacific Theater scenarios with an upgraded TOAW naval/air game engine, count me in!

Post #: 22
RE: Scenarios WISH LIST - 8/8/2009 1:54:37 AM   
rhinobones

If TOAW was to evolve a realistic “naval” capability, what characteristics would you find to be the most important? Name your top five.

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 23
RE: Scenarios WISH LIST - 8/8/2009 2:26:55 AM   
macgregor

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

If TOAW was to evolve a realistic “naval” capability, what characteristics would you find to be the most important? Name your top five.

Regards, RhinoBones

'If TOAW was to' ...and I thought you were on the inside. Considering the time it took Norm to develop TOAW against how long it's taken anyone else to scratch the surface I'm going to say any development of a naval model for something called TOAW controlled by Matrix probably ain't happening. More likely someone with the skill of a Norm(perhaps even him) will develop such a product from scratch. TOAW was a great idea that unfortunately fell into the hands of salesmen and 'entrepreneurs'. They got my fifty. Hopefully someone was inspired by TOAW and shares my vision for it's potential. I don't think anyone at Matrix does.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 24
RE: Scenarios WISH LIST - 8/8/2009 5:04:56 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

'If TOAW was to' ...and I thought you were on the inside. Considering the time it took Norm to develop TOAW against how long it's taken anyone else to scratch the surface I'm going to say any development of a naval model for something called TOAW controlled by Matrix probably ain't happening. More likely someone with the skill of a Norm(perhaps even him) will develop such a product from scratch. TOAW was a great idea that unfortunately fell into the hands of salesmen and 'entrepreneurs'. They got my fifty. Hopefully someone was inspired by TOAW and shares my vision for it's potential. I don't think anyone at Matrix does.

Gezzz . . . thought I asked the question in a civil manner. I'll take your response as a "No, I have no bananas." Too bad . . . you could have been a contributor.

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 25
RE: Scenarios WISH LIST - 8/8/2009 6:51:09 AM   
damezzi

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

Regards, RhinoBones

I can't list five, since I only consider myself knowledgeable in air combat, in terms of military equipment, tactics and so on with some (far from the same extend of air) reading in ground combat, too.
The first thing that comes to mind is the way naval units take shots when engaged by air units. Some extreme results occur. Being primarily a ground combat game to this point, interaction with other types of units should precede the pure naval combat problem, in my opinion.

Another point perhaps is the capacity to establish a blockade, some reaction deployment or something like it. Here I'm entering an area which I really know very little, so, someone with better knowledge, please correct me, but since Toaw is a turn based game and in most scenarios naval units have a large amount of MPs to use, it just seem to me to easy for such a unit to go around, back and forth, unpunished. Due to the fragility of naval units in Toaw, one tend to keep them stacked, covering a small area. Maybe that's the way it is in real life, I just opened the point for discussion, since, intuitively (I can't make better in terms of naval warfare) I find strange the impression of owning the seas I have, mainly in small scale scenarios.

That brings me to the third point: I must read something about naval combat, even if that's not my area of interest, so, if someone can indicate me a good book or site on the subject.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 26
RE: Scenarios WISH LIST - 8/8/2009 11:56:55 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

WitP has ~100km hexes and it's stuck with them. It doesn't have a map editor at all. That means that TOAW can already do certain Pacific topics better than WitP can (Okinawa, Luzon, China, Operation Olympic, etc. - wherever ground combat dominates and naval combat does not).

Sure. However note that naval simulation really has no bearing on any of these campaigns. In each case one side had all the cards- otherwise they would not have been able to deploy a major land force overseas from their home bases.

In the Pacific, while the naval struggle was still in doubt, the battles were necessarily small and quite tactical. The US was no more going to deploy eight divisions to reinforce Luzon than Japan was going to invade Australia a year later. The naval campaign had to be decided first.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 27
RE: Scenarios WISH LIST - 8/8/2009 11:59:46 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

I agree that the "next TOAW" will probably come from another Norm- a person who is willing to pour their heart and soul into it. The market is too small and the labour required to vast. Of course the problem is that they will build the system that they want to see- with no care for what you and I want.

As to "the hands of salesmen and entrepeneurs"... well how would you feel if you were asked to do you job as a favour to humanity instead of for a pay cheque? People have to earn a living.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 8/8/2009 12:02:23 PM >

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 28
RE: Scenarios WISH LIST - 8/8/2009 6:28:00 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Considering the time it took Norm to develop TOAW against how long it's taken anyone else to scratch the surface I'm going to say any development of a naval model for something called TOAW controlled by Matrix probably ain't happening.

If anyone thinks that Norm developed TOAW "from scratch" or "by himself", they're mistaken. First of all it is filled with legacy code from earlier products like "Age of Rifles" and earlier. It's an archaic mismash of hand-me-down stuff that now gives Ralph fits. And while it was being developed, Norm had the help of a vast staff of folks at Talonsoft back in their prime. Poor Ralph just gets to pick over the leavings part time.

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 29
RE: Scenarios WISH LIST - 8/8/2009 6:34:23 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

WitP has ~100km hexes and it's stuck with them. It doesn't have a map editor at all. That means that TOAW can already do certain Pacific topics better than WitP can (Okinawa, Luzon, China, Operation Olympic, etc. - wherever ground combat dominates and naval combat does not).

Sure. However note that naval simulation really has no bearing on any of these campaigns. In each case one side had all the cards- otherwise they would not have been able to deploy a major land force overseas from their home bases.

Wasn't that just what I said above?

quote:

In the Pacific, while the naval struggle was still in doubt, the battles were necessarily small and quite tactical. The US was no more going to deploy eight divisions to reinforce Luzon than Japan was going to invade Australia a year later. The naval campaign had to be decided first.

So, in other words, TOAW needs a Naval Warfare Engine. Again, just what I said. What I also said, was that WitP needs both a real Land Warfare Engine and a real Editor of the caliber of TOAW's. That's why TOAW is closer than WitP to that ultimate Pacific War simulator. I really think we can blow by them if we really want to.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenarios WISH LIST Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI