Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/document your war effort?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/document your war effort? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/docume... - 7/20/2009 4:20:07 PM   
mussey

I'm sure there is a plethora of ways that players use to organize their games. For example for me, I used a simple notebook that listed geographically all my forward bases with LCU's there, and what was in transit to it (typically convoy). I also started to use another section to list all convoys in transit (w/what/where to/approx date of arrival). I started using another section for Intelligence reports but got bogged down w/ too much info. I use to have a section that listed enemy bases with what I thought was located there.

And yet I seem to be underorganized! So my question to y'all is: How do you organize? Any good tips? If a notebook is used, what sections would you report? Does the new AE have any organizational features?

Col. Mussbu

The long arm of the law - "The King of Battle"

Post #: 1
RE: Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/do... - 7/20/2009 4:38:33 PM   
TheOx

I don't do anything right now, and thats a problem. I'm interested to hear other's ideas.

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 2
RE: Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/do... - 7/20/2009 4:59:02 PM   
John Lansford

Organization?  What's that?  Every time I start another turn I make sure to look over the entire map to refresh what is going on.  Where TF's are and their destination, what they're loaded with, etc.  Then I look over my forward air bases and check disruption/morale/damage and decide if they need to stand down for a few turns.  Subs get the same treatment, checking for damage and/or low on torpedoes.  Check bases for repair status on ships and if new ones should be sent forward, and any transport TF's that need loading with units or cargo.

Once that's all done I start looking at the strategic picture to see what my next stepping stone will be and what assets (carriers, assault TF's, warships, LCU's) need to be shifted to support that attack.  Then I set the turn in motion and repeat.

(in reply to TheOx)
Post #: 3
RE: Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/do... - 7/20/2009 5:02:45 PM   
Panther Bait

I used to take a ton of hand notes in various notepads/notebooks and some spreadsheets for Japanese production tracking, but I found that keeping them up to date was just not realistic.

Now I primarily use WitPTracker to keep track of production and resource/oil shipping.  For the rest, I just try to develop a reliable turn pattern (e.g. always reviewing the map in the same pattern) and keep a mental list of pending operations.  I am sure that it makes me less than 100% organized for things like combat planning, but in some ways that isn't a terrible thing.  Operations take longer to arrange, but on the flip side, I think about them more between initial concept and execution.  I am much more likely to use staging areas now for operations, and send all the various components to some nearby large base (e.g. Truk or Rabaul for So Pac), then when the operation goes out, it's a quick load up and move out as opposed to trying to coordinate troops from 5 different locations to all arrive together at/near then objective.

The slow approach has stopped a couple of what would have been mistakes from gaining too much "planning inertia" that might have made me want to press ahead with a bad gamble.  It also typically gives my troops more time to accumulate prep points, rather than my old tendency to rush into attacks unprepared.

When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo.

Nathan Dogan, USS Gurnard

(in reply to TheOx)
Post #: 4
RE: Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/do... - 7/20/2009 5:19:49 PM   
Bladesss

I will probably paste a list of all bases sorted by region into MS- excel and use it to keep track of what each base and its units are doing, and what it needs more of.

I will probably take the posts from the Allied tips posted here and make a checklist of everything to do on Turn 1 and a smaller checklist of what to check each turn.

Playing solo- I may cheat a little and save the game before processing the turn and check the alerts for bases out of supplies or factorys that need resources ect, fix these kinds of managament tasks and re-run the turn

I will make a chart of distences between bases like (Capetown- Perth, LA-Pearl, Pearl-Sydney ect) so i dont send 3rd rate transports on trips they dont have enought fuel for.

I may need to make a list of all the tasks i need to do that use political points and prioritize them.

Areas i think i need to do better at:

I only just started using witptracker, need to make better use of that, but my machine lags more then i like, switching tasks between witp and witptracker.

It sounds like I need to find some way of identifying all the units that use a device, and sort them by quanity. So when a new device like say (Indian squad 1942) becomes avail. I need to know which unit that needs it has the smallest need. So i can take advantage of how the repalacement system works.

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 5
RE: Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/do... - 7/20/2009 6:33:48 PM   
mussey

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Lansford

Organization?  What's that?  Every time I start another turn I make sure to look over the entire map to refresh what is going on.  Where TF's are and their destination, what they're loaded with, etc.  Then I look over my forward air bases and check disruption/morale/damage and decide if they need to stand down for a few turns.  Subs get the same treatment, checking for damage and/or low on torpedoes.  Check bases for repair status on ships and if new ones should be sent forward, and any transport TF's that need loading with units or cargo.

Once that's all done I start looking at the strategic picture to see what my next stepping stone will be and what assets (carriers, assault TF's, warships, LCU's) need to be shifted to support that attack.  Then I set the turn in motion and repeat.

That approach got me into trouble - especially on Fri/Sat nights when I tried out my new martini concoctions. By the time midnight/2am arrived, I had forgtten what convoys I sent where and with what. Maybe someone needs to start up an AE Temperance Society.

Col. Mussbu

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 6
RE: Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/do... - 7/20/2009 6:37:18 PM   
mussey

Ignorant question (sorry), but what is 'Tracker' and how do you use it

Col. Mussbu

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 7
RE: Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/do... - 7/20/2009 6:58:01 PM   
Nomad

quote:

ORIGINAL: mussey

Ignorant question (sorry), but what is 'Tracker' and how do you use it

Look HERE

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 8
RE: Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/do... - 7/20/2009 7:46:59 PM   
CaptDave

I have developed several (15, I think) spreadsheets that I use to keep track of things that are also available in Tracker and in the game reports. I do this because that's the way I become aware of things best -- just about the only time I've gone back to review is to the results of previous ground combat (specifically, what was my opponent's strength at the time).

Beyond that, I keep a notebook with a list of all the things to do each turn. This isn't a routine checklist, but rather a list of things I want to do each specific turn. If I don't make a note of something I want to check while I'm reviewing the combat results, I'll forget about it later. This also gives me a list to go back to later to remind myself of what I actually did.

Since my PBEM game is less than one turn per day (a major reason my opponent and I are playing against each other; we both have busy and variable schedules), I do write down outline plans for my major operations, so I won't forget over time what it is I'm planning to do. Doesn't mean I remember to go back and read it, though!

The one thing I don't do, but need to get in the habit of, is recording what my task forces are doing and why. While it's obvious for some of them, it's more nebulous in other cases. For example, I might have a division in Port B that needs to be moved to Port C, but I have no transports in Port B. I form up the TF in the nearest possible location, Port A, and send it off to Port B. But by the time it gets there I'm likely to have forgotten my original plan. This is especially a problem when I'm doing something similar in two different places at the same time (e.g., preparing invasions of Luzon and Mindanao simultaneousy).

Of course, in the end you have to do what benefits you the most. Just as different people learn differently, so do different people remember differently. Whatever you do, I can guarantee you'll end up tweaking it a lot over time (like my spreadsheets, which will need considerable revision for AE, to accommodate additional information that is being presented).

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 9
RE: Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/do... - 7/20/2009 7:56:32 PM   
jeffk3510

I'm looking forward to naming Task Forces in AE.   If I don't write down what the task force is intended to do (such as a cargo tf) I pull it off and use it elsewhere, really throwing my logistics out the door.

So I am looking forward to having task forces "Pearl to Canton" "Frisco to Pearl" and such... so that (pending other issues that come up during the course of the game) I will always know what this task force's purpose is without writing it down.... don't know if it will work any better, but I think it will.

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to CaptDave)
Post #: 10
RE: Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/do... - 7/20/2009 10:37:40 PM   
mussey

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptDave

I have developed several (15, I think) spreadsheets that I use to keep track of things that are also available in Tracker and in the game reports. I do this because that's the way I become aware of things best -- just about the only time I've gone back to review is to the results of previous ground combat (specifically, what was my opponent's strength at the time).

Beyond that, I keep a notebook with a list of all the things to do each turn. This isn't a routine checklist, but rather a list of things I want to do each specific turn. If I don't make a note of something I want to check while I'm reviewing the combat results, I'll forget about it later. This also gives me a list to go back to later to remind myself of what I actually did.

Since my PBEM game is less than one turn per day (a major reason my opponent and I are playing against each other; we both have busy and variable schedules), I do write down outline plans for my major operations, so I won't forget over time what it is I'm planning to do. Doesn't mean I remember to go back and read it, though!

The one thing I don't do, but need to get in the habit of, is recording what my task forces are doing and why. While it's obvious for some of them, it's more nebulous in other cases. For example, I might have a division in Port B that needs to be moved to Port C, but I have no transports in Port B. I form up the TF in the nearest possible location, Port A, and send it off to Port B. But by the time it gets there I'm likely to have forgotten my original plan. This is especially a problem when I'm doing something similar in two different places at the same time (e.g., preparing invasions of Luzon and Mindanao simultaneousy).

Of course, in the end you have to do what benefits you the most. Just as different people learn differently, so do different people remember differently. Whatever you do, I can guarantee you'll end up tweaking it a lot over time (like my spreadsheets, which will need considerable revision for AE, to accommodate additional information that is being presented).

Capt. Dave, if I may be so bold - what are the spreadsheets that you have used? May be something I want to try as well. As for the TF's, that occurs frequently with me - not easy to document every one - JeffK mentioned the new feature of naming the TF's which will be a huge help.

Col. Mussbu

(in reply to CaptDave)
Post #: 11
RE: Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/do... - 7/20/2009 10:49:12 PM   
Wirraway_Ace

mussey,

in WITP, I used to keep extenstive spreadsheets and notes, but after a couple of PBEM games, I now jot down a note here or there while travelling, but that is it. You get to quickly know your forces and key bases. As others have commented, having a routine by which you work through each major area of operations is key.

I also try not to run two games playing the same side at the same time. That really did cause some trouble trying to keep the games straight.

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 12
RE: Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/do... - 7/20/2009 10:55:54 PM   
Mike Solli

Spreadsheets! Lots and lots of spreadsheets! The ability to name TFs will be a major plus.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Wirraway_Ace)
Post #: 13
RE: Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/do... - 7/20/2009 10:59:22 PM   
DivePac88

I use WitPTracker, excel sheets, several notebooks, but above all I keep an up to date plot-map. Now this is an Intel type plot map, were every bit of info I get on the enemy goes. You would be surprised on how accurate an up to date plot map can be. Ramjet and I recently wound-up our CHS PBEM to restart in AE, and we exchanged passwords. When I compared his exact force structure and deployment with my plot map, I was very surprised to how close the plot map was.

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 14
RE: Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/do... - 7/20/2009 11:43:43 PM   
Yank

I'm going to use MS Office One Note - it came in the Office bundle I purchased. An extra that I would not have bought otherwise but after poking around in it a bit, it looks good for AE notes.

I have a file with tabs set up according to the US staff system: G-1, 2,3,4,5 and a tab for general notes ready to go for my first game. I'm thinking that will be a good way to organize things. Now if I just had a staff to go with it...I think I may need it to play AE!

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 15
RE: Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/do... - 7/20/2009 11:47:22 PM   
tocaff

WITPTracker, occasional notes when running a large operation and periodically going through base by base to check on all aspects of my war machine.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Yank)
Post #: 16
RE: Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/do... - 7/20/2009 11:50:50 PM   
Nomad

I use WitPTracker for info about my units. I use WitP Utility to correlate my combat reports, intel, and ops. I use an Outliner program to make notes about what I need to do, what I am doing and who is doing it.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 17
RE: Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/do... - 7/21/2009 12:30:16 AM   
Jaws_slith

Well I use drawing or even powerpoint. The balls tells me i.e. Yellow is my Logictics priority. Red my Combat effort. Sometimes I bring in more color or numbers. As soon I get new supplies I check these zones.

< Message edited by Jaws43 -- 7/21/2009 9:17:48 AM >

Good Hunting

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 18
RE: Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/do... - 7/21/2009 1:01:35 AM   
Aloid

My current organization goes something like this...

pour beer... drink beer... input turn... drink beer... watch turn... finish beer...
<repeat>
after a while it all becomes very simple.
:)

(in reply to Jaws_slith)
Post #: 19
RE: Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/do... - 7/21/2009 1:46:06 AM   
Barneyrubb90

Great discussion thread, just got to my hotel after traveling all day and wanted to check the status now that we have all read the manual once or twice....

Like most tried to keep a combination of notes and Excel spreadsheets going. At various times was tracking major or key LCU (Eng, Seabee, Amphib HQ) for arrival date; major ships and tried to come up with rough time/distance plots. Later as more units showed up tried to maintain list of which units were planning for invasions of which locations and rough times of when they would be most ready.

Lots of thoughts running through my brain as this new one seems so much better and so much more complicated in many good ways.

Anxiously awaiting the 24th, 30th, or whatever day happens to be like my birthday when I get to download AE.

(in reply to Aloid)
Post #: 20
RE: Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/do... - 7/21/2009 1:53:47 AM   
ericl

I bought a separate computer to sit next to my primary machine and display spreadsheets and notes..

spreadsheet is in ms excel organized by HQ. I use hubs in each HQ and distribute supplies/troops and requests via these HQ's.

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 21
RE: Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/do... - 7/21/2009 1:56:30 AM   
Nomad

A big recommendation for WitP Tracker. On the LCU screen, it shows the planning location of all units and is sortable on that column. So by assigning a target to all of your LCUs you can easily check in Tracker to see what needs to be done for you next set of invasions. And since Tracker shows you LCUs that are on ships, you know which ones are being moved to your embarkation port.

(in reply to Barneyrubb90)
Post #: 22
RE: Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/do... - 7/21/2009 5:25:37 AM   
byron13

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panther Bait

I used to take a ton of hand notes in various notepads/notebooks and some spreadsheets for Japanese production tracking, but I found that keeping them up to date was just not realistic.

Now I primarily use WitPTracker to keep track of production and resource/oil shipping.  For the rest, I just try to develop a reliable turn pattern (e.g. always reviewing the map in the same pattern) and keep a mental list of pending operations.  I am sure that it makes me less than 100% organized for things like combat planning, but in some ways that isn't a terrible thing.  Operations take longer to arrange, but on the flip side, I think about them more between initial concept and execution.  I am much more likely to use staging areas now for operations, and send all the various components to some nearby large base (e.g. Truk or Rabaul for So Pac), then when the operation goes out, it's a quick load up and move out as opposed to trying to coordinate troops from 5 different locations to all arrive together at/near then objective.

The slow approach has stopped a couple of what would have been mistakes from gaining too much "planning inertia" that might have made me want to press ahead with a bad gamble.  It also typically gives my troops more time to accumulate prep points, rather than my old tendency to rush into attacks unprepared.

Ditto. Guess I'm not as serious. I'll figure out my next couple of invasion targets and sweep the units in the relevant command to find the units that will take part either in the invasion or the subsequent manning of the target and change their planning preparation for that target. I'll then start moving units with the same target to a base as an assembly area. Since each HQ typically has a large-ish base reasonably close to the front, any reinforcements for that HQ can have their target prep set and then get shipped off to the HQ's main base (which usually has a lot of AKs and APs) for final shipping to the AA. Of course, this was back in the days where I could pick the nearest atoll as an assembly area, stuff two corps worth of stuff in there in three-storey pup tents and top off the tanks on 500 ships in one turn.

Frankly, with the changes to AE, I'm not sure what a late-war invasion is going to look like. Me thinks it's going to be a lot more ballet than it does now with TFs meeting up from many different places. You're certainly going to need to get your ships to the assembly area well in advance to make sure they all have time to top off, which also means you're likely to have a lot of stuff just sitting around waiting to make sure they are still topped off when you start loading. There might also be more of a need to have lots of AOs to help top everyone off as quickly as possible at the assembly area. Of course, I won't be taking three divisions to invade an atoll anymore, either. Planning will be at a premium, and I may have to start making notes to make sure I stage everything timely. It's going to be a whole new ball game.

< Message edited by byron13 -- 7/22/2009 4:40:32 AM >

(in reply to Panther Bait)
Post #: 23
RE: Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/do... - 7/21/2009 7:27:40 AM   
stuman

I just memorize all of the counters currently on the board, all of the counters that will be added throughout the game, manage my
production perfectly, and plan all of my invasions and battles in a flawless manner. Isn't that what we all do ?

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to byron13)
Post #: 24
RE: Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/do... - 7/21/2009 7:38:51 AM   
Bliztk

I dump the scenario files using Witpload into an excel with arrival dates. I make a copy with all units and their arrival date.

Then I organize all my units into divisional and regimental assault forces, each one with one sheet.
Also I have a sheet with all bases and their "organic" units. Units that are not going to be used in assault forces got here.
Finally one sheet with a list of all assault units, their actual base and the target, with a list of possible targets for later
Then using Witptracker to keep track of the fragments and production.

< Message edited by Bliztk -- 7/21/2009 7:53:24 AM >

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 25
RE: Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/do... - 7/21/2009 6:43:50 PM   
mussey

Holy Cow! I take a w/e off and Shazzam, 20 great ideas! You guys rock!

In the beginning, w/ a new AE, I want to be more meticulous with my planning detail as I relearn the game. This will allow me to learn much quicker my administrative priorities (especially in regard to sending supplies, base forces, and larger assets).

Love the EXCEL ideas (organizing by HQ [ericl] and/or by admin S1, S2, etc [Yank]). I have the space for a plot map [DivePac88] (what size???). Thanks for the countless other great ideas. KEEP THEM COMING.

WILL TRACKER BE PART OF AE?

Col. Mussbu

(in reply to Bliztk)
Post #: 26
RE: Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/do... - 7/21/2009 6:50:09 PM   
Xargun

I just use a notebook. I watch the execution phase and make notes during it of enemy ships hit, enemy ship locations, large groups of bombers, fighters, etc.... Then I do my turn. I usually start up in India and circle my way around making notes as to needs and such and then as I go to other areas I check and send out TFs with those needs if possible.

I also track various economic factors (Yes I always play the Japanese) and make sure they are hovering or going up - if not I examine why. But usually once every 10 or 20 turns I spend a Mega turn in which I go through every unit, base and all economic parts to make sure I'm not missing things. It seems to work for me, but will need some tweaking for AE as the economy is a bit more fragile and complex.

Xargun

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 27
RE: Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/do... - 7/21/2009 7:01:30 PM   
CaptDave

quote:

ORIGINAL: mussey

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptDave

Capt. Dave, if I may be so bold - what are the spreadsheets that you have used? May be something I want to try as well. As for the TF's, that occurs frequently with me - not easy to document every one - JeffK mentioned the new feature of naming the TF's which will be a huge help.

Here's a list of my spreadsheets, by title: I think they're self-explanatory. If you'd like to know the exact information on each one, let me know and I'll PM you the list; it'll be a little lengthy and maybe not of interest to the vast majority here. I'm also happy to share the spreadsheets, but that might as well wait until I get AE and see what changes need to be made.

Air Combat Report
Amphibious Landing Report
ASW Attack Report
Base Upgrade Status Report
Daily Intelligence Report
Damage Status Report - Bases
Damage Status Report - Ships
Ground Combat Report
HQ Summary Report
Naval Bombardment Report
Sightings Report
Signals Intelligence Report - Attack Plans
Signals Intelligence Report - Troops and Units
Signals Intelligence Report - Units Embarked
Sinking Report
Submarine Attack Report
Submarine Disposition Report
Surface Combat Report

FWIW, I find that filling out these reports by hand makes each turn take about 45 minutes to an hour before I get to the issue orders stage (very occasionally even longer, normally because every air unit on the map actually gets to fly its mission). I've retired the HQ Summary Report for my own use, but it might be beneficial again under AE; this remains to be seen.

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 28
RE: Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/do... - 7/21/2009 7:12:43 PM   
rroberson

Pen to paper.

I keep notes.

I jot down want my production should be doing and the direction its heading..same thing with bases and the like.

I also have a area of possible operational concepts as things pop into my brain what I might want to do down the road so what I am up to has "direction."

so yeah lots of pen to paper for me....(its easier then spread sheets and the like I dont have to alt delete in and out.)

(in reply to CaptDave)
Post #: 29
RE: Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/do... - 7/21/2009 7:21:48 PM   
Mike Solli

I divide up the map by region:

Japan
China
Manchuoko
Burma
SRA
SE Fleet
4th Fleet
Northern Area Force

Later into the war I add:

Philippines
Marianas

I allocate my fleet, IJAAF, land based IJNAF, land combat forces and land support forces by region. Each has it's own spreadsheet. The fleet is by ship. The merchant ship fleet is allocated by capacity. That'll be a bit more involved now. The merchant ship fleet is (sort of) divided by movement of oil/resources, supplies/fuel, or units. That's rather vague because I try to ship oil/resources in and fuel/supplies/units out to minimize the movement of empty hulls.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Survey Question - How do you organize/administer/document your war effort? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI