Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: some questions about Beta 3.10

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> RE: some questions about Beta 3.10 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: some questions about Beta 3.10 - 7/18/2009 4:26:39 AM   
rsharp@advancedgamin

Would you give the error? A screenshot or just the text would be great.

Thanks for your time.

Russell
Advanced Gaming Systems
Home of Computer Harpoon

(in reply to TMC)
Post #: 31
RE: some questions about Beta 3.10 - 7/18/2009 4:37:53 AM   
TMC

I imported the HUD3 database and exported Iowa ship index 1 to a HCF file. I cleared the editor and imported the same file I just exported. I get the following error.

Run-time error '3061': Too few parameters. Expected 8.

Debug send me to this part of the code.

WipeDupes
CurrentDb.Execute "qImport_DupePropulsionFind"
CompareSubTbl "tPropulsionAltSpd", 3

CheckDupes AnnexInfo, rs, rs![Name], "qImport_DupePropulsionList", AnnexInfo.TableName, TempID

(in reply to rsharp@advancedgamin)
Post #: 32
some questions about Beta 3.10 - 7/18/2009 6:02:00 AM   
hermanhum

quote:

ORIGINAL: TMC

Import and export now works. HCF import still gives a runtime error.

Concur. Batch Import and Export now works. HCF Import crashes for me, too.

Minor crash due to Text sub-folder absence a default location. Don't know if you want to have the editor more flexible or able to recover from such problems.

quote:

Writing Signature... Failure

Don't know if anyone else is experiencing this error message. I am certain that the DBSignature.dll file is at the location specified in the Default menu. Wonder if I am doing something wrongly?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to TMC)
Post #: 33
RE: some questions about Beta 3.10 - 7/18/2009 6:08:03 AM   
rsharp@advancedgamin

The DBSignature.dll file should be in the same folder as the H3RE mdb file. Previous H3REs included it but I missed it on this one.

The Text folder should not be required. I'll take a look at the HCF export process.

Thanks,

Russell
Advanced Gaming Systems
Home of Computer Harpoon

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 34
some questions about Beta 3.10 - 7/18/2009 6:14:22 AM   
hermanhum

quote:

ORIGINAL: rsharp@advancedgamin

The Text folder should not be required. I'll take a look at the HCF export process.

DB Signature working as directed.

The HCF Export process seems to be okay and completes. The HCF Import process is where we both experienced a crash.

The missing Text folder caused a Batch Export crash when the following options were selected. See image:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 35
some questions about Beta 3.10 - 7/18/2009 6:18:55 AM   
hermanhum

Not a crash, but possibly an error or fault.

After Weapons.DAT is imported, "Unknown" codes are displayed where no codes previously existed. See image:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 36
some questions about Beta 3.10 - 7/18/2009 6:36:19 AM   
hermanhum

quote:

The DBSignature.dll file should be in the same folder as the H3RE mdb file.

This does work, but the Defaults Menu asks for the path to the Detailed Signature Editor.

Is this referring to the DBSignature.dll file or is it something else?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 37
RE: some questions about Beta 3.10 - 7/18/2009 7:38:36 AM   
iriyak

Hi Russel,

quote:

Uploading ... yet another fixed build. This time I downloaded the file and tested (export & import) it with ANWDB, HUD3, and PDB databases in 3.9.4 format.

All went through without error.

http://computerharpoon.com/public/H3RE_3_10_20090717.zip

Had a progress though it hit runtime error during importing HUD3 & PDb. See attached test results rev.02 in MS Excel format.

Will update you when I finish my investigation in what record VBA engine stopped processing.

Best Regards,
Kazunori Iriya

Post #: 38
RE: some questions about Beta 3.10 - 7/18/2009 12:35:53 PM   
iriyak

Hi Russel,

quote:

ORIGINAL: iriyak

Will update you when I finish my investigation in what record VBA engine stopped processing.

Figured out the record in HUD3 at first. The VBA engine stopped processing while retrieving the version for "Air-Sol Moyenne Port^e Rkt" raising runtime error 3421. Confirmed that it successfully processed 399 records before the record.

As remarked for Id.4 in the test report rev.02:
quote:

Clicking Debug(D) button jumped to Line# 1191 & Column# 21 of cDATImport Module: ReadLong().

Propulsion Annex indicates the number of records in tPropulsion table is 400. Guess during the 400th record VB engine encounters runtime error 3421.

So I put the debugging code for logging rs![Name] and rs![Version] around Line# 1191 in cDATImport module. Here's the log I take. The log format is tab delimiter plain text where the first column is rs![Name] and the second is rs![Version]. The below snapshot shows how the octet stream looks like around the record in the generated log by my debugging code.

As highlighted in the window, the last octet of rs![Name] is 0x03. I guess the engine seems to advance one more octet to get rs![Name] in my environment, which caused the runtime error 3421: Should have pointed 0x03 as 0x03 seems the version number.

I have no idea why only in my environment this runtime error happens. "Port^e" out of "Air-Sol Moyenne Port^e Rkt" contains some special octet 0xE9 in 0x50 0x6F 0x72 0x74 0xE9 0x65 and it might have caused it, which has to be verified later.

That's all what I've found so far.

Best Regards,
Kazunori Iriya

Edit: Mentioned the snapshot shows for the generated log file, not *.dat file itself.

< Message edited by iriyak -- 7/19/2009 2:37:35 AM >

(in reply to iriyak)
Post #: 39
RE: some questions about Beta 3.10 - 7/18/2009 2:44:48 PM   
iriyak

Hi,

quote:

Hi Russel,

quote:

Figured out the record in HUD3 at first.

Finally figured out the record in PDb. The VBA engine stopped processing while attempt to commit the record set for the platform named "ans Beimler Hans Coppi Heinz Ka". It belongs to "Germany DE / FRG / DDR".

The below snapshot shows how the octet stream looks like around the record in the generated log by my debugging code.

As highlighted in the windows, the name contains 0x0B between r & H and 0x0E between i & H.

I have no idea why only in my environment this runtime error happens, but similar to "Air-Sol Moyenne Port^e Rkt".

Best Regards,
Kazunori Iriya

Edit: Mentioned the snapshot shows for the generated log file, not *.dat file itself.

< Message edited by iriyak -- 7/19/2009 2:38:01 AM >

(in reply to iriyak)
Post #: 40
some questions about Beta 3.10 - 7/18/2009 7:50:02 PM   
hermanhum

quote:

Finally figured out the record in PDb. The VBA engine stopped processing while attempt to commit the record set for the platform named "ans Beimler Hans Coppi Heinz Ka". It belongs to "Germany DE / FRG / DDR".

[SNIP]

I have no idea why only in my environment this runtime error happens, but similar to "Air-Sol Moyenne Port^e Rkt".

I am wondering if you might be experiencing some data corruption.

I looked at entry #400 for the HUD3 and it is named, "Air-Sol Moyenne Portée Rkt". Entry #400 in the PlayersDB is for the same weapon because we built the PlayersDB using HUD2 as the basis even though we named it, "ANS Rocket".

I used the HexEditor to look into the Propulsion.DAT files for both the HUD3 and PlayersDB but could not even find the words "Beimler Hans Coppi Heinz Ka". I really do not know from where they come

It does seem as though the problem is centred on your Propulsion.DAT, though. Perhaps you could try to manually Import that specific annex and see how that works. Also, there is supposedly a "Compact and Repair Database" command that may help. TMC told me that you can find it under, "Add-in ==> tools ==> Database Utilities ==> Compact and Repair Database"

(in reply to iriyak)
Post #: 41
RE: some questions about Beta 3.10 - 7/19/2009 3:09:39 AM   
iriyak

Hi Herman,

quote:

ORIGINAL: hermanhum

quote:

[SNIP]

I am wondering if you might be experiencing some data corruption.

I looked at entry #400 for the HUD3 and it is named, "Air-Sol Moyenne Portée Rkt". Entry #400 in the PlayersDB is for the same weapon because we built the PlayersDB using HUD2 as the basis even though we named it, "ANS Rocket".

I used the HexEditor to look into the Propulsion.DAT files for both the HUD3 and PlayersDB but could not even find the words "Beimler Hans Coppi Heinz Ka". I really do not know from where they come

It does seem as though the problem is centred on your Propulsion.DAT, though. Perhaps you could try to manually Import that specific annex and see how that works. Also, there is supposedly a "Compact and Repair Database" command that may help. TMC told me that you can find it under, "Add-in ==> tools ==> Database Utilities ==> Compact and Repair Database"

Thank you for your comment and checking data on both HUD3 & PDb! OK, I will try to manually import that specific Annex and see how that works.

Just for the record, I summarized when the VBA engine stopped processing through testing results of the second test cycle.

Best Regards,
Kazunori Iriya

PS While finding out the record which stopped processing, I didn't look into the *.dat file. Instead I tried finding it out in putting my debugging code into the relevant VBA module of the mdb. Binary Editor was used because it was figured out the data in the log contained a special character inside. Sorry for confusing you in my description.

Edit: Added PS.

< Message edited by iriyak -- 7/19/2009 3:22:26 AM >

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 42
RE: some questions about Beta 3.10 - 7/21/2009 11:52:29 PM   
TMC

I played around the HCF import and it looks like the Propulsion annex is what is causing the failure. Any annex without a propulsion (Comm, Sensors, warheads) will import. I hope this helps with debugging the editor.

(in reply to iriyak)
Post #: 43
some questions about Beta 3.10 - 7/22/2009 5:38:59 PM   
hermanhum

More of the same unsupported nonsense:

quote:

ORIGINAL:  VCDH

I tried it on both my laptop and the ships network.  No problems here.

How about actually testing a suggestion before throwing it out there for others?

Post #: 44
RE: some questions about Beta 3.10 - 7/22/2009 5:54:33 PM   
iriyak

Hi all,

Thanks for the info, I will try that to go way forward.

BTW, Herman, I'm having a fun time to debug so that's no problem for me at least. I joined the forum about one hear ago and I spent most of time to read articles wondering about when I could contribute to this community. And now I'm happy to know that the time has come.

Best Regards,
Kazunori Iriya

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 45
some questions about Beta 3.10 - 7/22/2009 5:56:34 PM   
hermanhum

Did you finally manage to work through or around your Import problems?

(in reply to iriyak)
Post #: 46
RE: some questions about Beta 3.10 - 7/22/2009 6:02:25 PM   
iriyak

Hi Herman,

quote:

I'm now trouble-shooting the incident on the customer's site in real life.

So, I will come back to H3ANW soon later!

Best Regards,
Kazunori Iriya

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 47
some questions about Beta 3.10 - 7/22/2009 7:06:29 PM   
hermanhum

quote:

ORIGINAL: VCDH

So I'm a liar now?

The results speak for themselves, since everyone else who used the same editor ended up in a crash while trying the Import or Export command.

Obviously, turning on the power is about the extent of testing conducted. (Which is about par for ANW).

Post #: 48
RE: some questions about Beta 3.10 - 7/22/2009 7:12:35 PM   
rsharp@advancedgamin

Herman, please stop trolling.

Thanks,

Russell
Advanced Gaming Systems
Home of Computer Harpoon

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 49
some questions about Beta 3.10 - 7/22/2009 8:04:25 PM   
hermanhum

The Validation command for the magazine table uses improper logic, IMO.

When the command is given, it calculates the maximum possible number of weapons for a magazine and assumes that this should be the capacity of the magazine. Therefore, if a magazine consisted of two weapons record entries:

Torpedo1 6/12
Torpedo2 6/12

the H3RE would estimate that the maximum capacity of the magazine should be 24. This is wrong since the total magazine capacity of this submarine example should only be 12. A scenario designer could switch weapons around and load a combined maximum of 12 weapons into the magazine.

As well, the Magazine Weapons Records must have some empty 'space' so that a player can unload weapons that may already be loaded into the tubes.

If the weapons records were:

Torpedo1 6/6
Torpedo2 6/6

the current loads in the tubes would have no place to unload in order to switch to a different weapon.

The H3RE is also inconsistent with the H3Editor. When doing a Sanity Check using the H3Editor, it evaluates using the largest potential record in the magazine. For example, if a magazine had the following two Weapons Records:

Torpedo1 6/6
Torpedo2 6/12

the H3Editor would check to see if the magazine capacity was at least 12 (and not 18). I believe that this logic is more proper.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 50
RE: some questions about Beta 3.10 - 7/23/2009 12:03:14 AM   
TMC

Dale,

The test I did was try to export a propulsion file from database that I know working (HUD3 & ANW). The import of the HCF file failed on any random record. Stating too few parameters. Let me know if more information is needed.

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 51
RE: some questions about Beta 3.10 - 7/23/2009 12:23:20 AM   
rsharp@advancedgamin

The issue was caused by the renaming of some propulsion fields and not updating a query used in the HCF export process which uses those propulsion fields.

It's fixed for the next release.

Question, what do you use the HCF files for? Was it for debugging other issues? Just curious.

Thanks,

Russell
Advanced Gaming Systems
Home of Computer Harpoon

(in reply to TMC)
Post #: 52
RE: some questions about Beta 3.10 - 7/23/2009 12:40:01 AM   
TMC

I was just playing with all the features of the editor and ran into this error. I just want to let you know what I found. In the past I used it to export and import my own units into databases.

Post #: 53
RE: some questions about Beta 3.10 - 7/24/2009 5:06:20 AM   
iriyak

Hi all,

quote:

Hi Herman,

quote:

I'm now trouble-shooting the incident on the customer's site in real life.

So, I will come back to H3ANW soon later!

Best Regards,
Kazunori Iriya

A quick update: I tried importing with MS Access 2003 SP2 & HUD3 (June 12th 2009) over Vista Enterprise English edition, yet another PC. The RE imported without stopping processing!

The below screenshot shows the 400th record was successfully imported into the database. You can see a Japanese character in Name field and I believe it is because of the font setting in it.

My first environment was Japanese edition and this might cause the unexpected VBA engine's behavior related to reading or parsing strings over .dat file. It will be verified later.

Best Regards,
Kazunori Iriya

(in reply to iriyak)
Post #: 54
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> RE: some questions about Beta 3.10 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI