Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Manual - Naval Team

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Manual - Naval Team Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Manual - Naval Team - 7/21/2009 3:39:45 PM   
pad152

page 257 - 16.2.1 Carrier Aircraft and off-map movement

Aircraft assigned to it are replaced in the replacement pool.

So carriers lose their air groups during off-map movement?
Post #: 1
RE: Manual - Naval Team - 7/21/2009 3:44:30 PM   
kmussler

It sounds like you lose the planes in the airgroup, not the groups themselves. This might allow for an aircraft upgrade during off-map movememnt period??

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 2
RE: Manual - Naval Team - 7/21/2009 4:10:08 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

page 257 - 16.2.1 Carrier Aircraft and off-map movement

Aircraft assigned to it are replaced in the replacement pool.

So carriers lose their air groups during off-map movement?

No, not at all. The section you are referencing relates to withdrawing ships off map during small map scenarios (such as sending a ship to Pearl during Coral Sea).

Ships using off map movement in full map scenarios are not affected.

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 3
Repairs to merchies - 7/22/2009 12:40:54 AM   
borjsgm

Hi
In section 14.2.1.4 it states that ports can repair merchies etc on a 100 ton per port level basis. Uh, unless my math is completely hosed, shouldn't that be 1000 ton per port level? Otherwise we will be looking for level 72 ports for the liberty/victory classes.
Misprint in the manual? Or am I reading it wrong?

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 4
RE: Repairs to merchies - 7/22/2009 12:54:43 AM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: borjsgm

Hi
In section 14.2.1.4 it states that ports can repair merchies etc on a 100 ton per port level basis. Uh, unless my math is completely hosed, shouldn't that be 1000 ton per port level? Otherwise we will be looking for level 72 ports for the liberty/victory classes.
Misprint in the manual? Or am I reading it wrong?

That section is referencing the repair of major damage. Major damage can usually only be repaired by shipyards and certain repair craft. However, very small ships can have major damage rapaired in ports of the specified size.

(in reply to borjsgm)
Post #: 5
JAP TF's during turn 1 - 7/22/2009 8:48:42 AM   
Kaletsch2007

I remember to have asked the question before. I think it was in one of the earliest AAR. I did not find any hint in the manual, so I ask again.

Playing with Historical first turn OFF, there should be still some (about 10 ?) jap TF's which own the "trans warp bonus".

Firstly, are they marked or recognizable in any way ?
Secondly, will the bonus still work, after you changed the given destination or composition ?

Thanks a lot for all the work

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 6
RE: JAP TF's during turn 1 - 7/22/2009 1:57:21 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kaletsch2007

I remember to have asked the question before. I think it was in one of the earliest AAR. I did not find any hint in the manual, so I ask again.

Playing with Historical first turn OFF, there should be still some (about 10 ?) jap TF's which own the "trans warp bonus".

Secondly, will the bonus still work, after you changed the given destination or composition ?

First turn movement bonus applies only to TFs defined in the editor and is selectable on a TF by TF basis in the editor.

(in reply to Kaletsch2007)
Post #: 7
RE: JAP TF's during turn 1 - 7/22/2009 2:23:01 PM   
Kaletsch2007

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

quote:

First turn movement bonus applies only to TFs defined in the editor and is selectable on a TF by TF basis in the editor.

So, starting a new game with Szenario 001 and historical turn OFF, there are no TF's defined that way ?
But if so, how could you identify them ?

Thanks again

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 8
RE: JAP TF's during turn 1 - 7/22/2009 2:33:23 PM   
Andy Mac

1st move TF's have a * in the TF name

Post #: 9
RE: JAP TF's during turn 1 - 7/22/2009 3:10:05 PM   
Kaletsch2007

Thanks Andy for the quick reply.

Regards
Rene'

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 10
RE: JAP TF's during turn 1 - 7/22/2009 7:10:27 PM   
JWE

quote:

As AndyMac said, 1st turn TF's in the nominal scenarios have a * in the TF name.

If you change anything, the special flags clear. So once you enter the game, if a magic move TF is set to go from Samah to Kota, that's where it will go. If you dink with it in any way, shape or form, all bets are off. And so is magic move.

As Don Bowen says, first turn movement bonus applies only to TFs defined in the editor and is selectable on a TF by TF basis in the editor. So you want to dink with them, you must create a mod. Otherwise, leave them alone.

Post #: 11
RE: JAP TF's during turn 1 - 7/23/2009 12:04:07 AM   
CaptDave

So, to put it in blunt (and meant to be non-hostile) terms, we either play the historical first move or get hosed? Essentially no changes allowed to the Japanese strategy?

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 12
RE: JAP TF's during turn 1 - 7/23/2009 12:25:19 AM   
spence

To be blunt and non-hostile and to give credit to the staff soldiers and sailors involved IMHO the IJA/IJN put "together" a plan with just about the very best military moves for the opening of hostilities that could have been made. The whole show was, after all a tremendous gamble founded on the hopes that 1)the Pearl Harbor attack would remove the threat of the USN temporarily, 2) Japan could grab all the resources necessary to sustain itself in the window thus opened; and 3) the Allies would tire of the casualties incurred in the counterattack.

Frankly I think that the overwhelming majority of "better moves" that players might come up with are "game moves" made possible only because of the impossibly accurate intelligence and utterly simplified logistics of the game system.

(in reply to CaptDave)
Post #: 13
RE: JAP TF's during turn 1 - 7/23/2009 12:26:38 AM   
pad152

I don't really understand why Japan is now locked into the first turn either but, there's always the editor.

(in reply to CaptDave)
Post #: 14
RE: JAP TF's during turn 1 - 7/23/2009 4:16:28 AM   
JWE

I don't recall anyone saying the first turn was locked. All that was said was don't mess with magic move TFs (a relatively small number) if you still want them to magic move, unless you do it in the editor. You can do as you please with turn 1.

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 15
RE: JAP TF's during turn 1 - 7/23/2009 4:40:52 AM   
pad152

If only specific TF's defined by the scenario can have the surprise (extra movement) on the first turn, it limits what can be invaded on turn one! This is then always the same every time you play that scenario/campaign. I would same this limits/locks what the Japanese player can do on turn 1. In WITP the Japanese could send any number of TF's anywhere on the map with full surprise and extra movement on turn one.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 16
RE: JAP TF's during turn 1 - 7/23/2009 9:07:17 AM   
Kaletsch2007

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

If only specific TF's defined by the scenario can have the surprise (extra movement) on the first turn, it limits what can be invaded on turn one! This is then always the same every time you play that scenario/campaign. I would same this limits/locks what the Japanese player can do on turn 1. In WITP the Japanese could send any number of TF's anywhere on the map with full surprise and extra movement on turn one.

Sorry to do so, but I have to strongly disagree. I am very thankfull (even I always play Japan) that this is removed from the game. It would have been impossible to suprise the Allies, if hundrets of TF's would have shown up in front of all important allied bases !!!

Only thing I am feeling a little bit disappointet is, you can not change the composition of these spezial TF's. But I will manage

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 17
RE: JAP TF's during turn 1 - 7/23/2009 9:48:15 AM   
JuanG

quote:

Is there any way to reenable the 'global' move for first turn in the editor? Or to allow the flagged TFs to change destination?

Sure, in the editor you can do anything you like - any or all TFs can be set to use the "magic move".

< Message edited by jwilkerson -- 7/23/2009 10:54:09 PM >

Post #: 18
RE: JAP TF's during turn 1 - 7/23/2009 9:30:15 PM   
dr. smith

one third way through manual - saw this that prompts question:

p. 94
Bombardment TFs that come into contact with enemy surface
forces will convert to Surface Combat and engage the enemy.

Does this mean those pesky PT Boat TFs will cause a BB/CA/DD TF to abort its bombardment mission and convert to Surface Combat to fend off the PTs ?   Notice the PT have their own type of TF, does this factor in?

(in reply to JuanG)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Manual - Naval Team Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI