Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SPWaW AI Patch? anyone.....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> SPWaW AI Patch? anyone..... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SPWaW AI Patch? anyone..... - 5/30/2002 9:40:50 PM   
Grishnak

Hullo a new member here,
I was wondering if anyone has any enlightenment about a concern I have.
When playing solitare SPWaW I have notived the AI is very very weak, in many regards.
[B]deployment[/B] , the AI just seems to mush the troops any old where, and it does not take into account any basic principles. Visibility, high ground, natural defences etc.
[B]Purchasing[/B] , the AI does not purchase things which complament one another. I know this is a whole programing can of worms, but the AI does not grab FO along with artillery, for example. and the AI chooses not to purchase mines!
[B]movement[/B] the AI does not use visibility to move anywhere, just straight lines. or the AI does not move companies in clumps, or spread out after a artillery hit, that sort of thing.
[B]planes[/B] , this is a common bitch of mine when playing multi player as well, the computer seems to think tanks are the only target for planes, so when infantry is targeted, even with a spotting unit, the plane will hammer a tank instead!
[B]smoke[/B] , the AI does not utilise smoke when covering an advance over open ground.
[B]victory objectives[/B] , the AI will get all the nearest units to just go to them. this is a pain as well. Also, no group effort is made to try to work with other units or companies to converge on one, and then move onto another after it is secured.
[B]targeting[/B] , Another potential can of worms. little can be done with individual unit targets, but things like counter battery artilery strikes, and airstrikes on units other than tanks. (I think I already mentioned this

I know that many people don't do solitare, I use it to kill time at work and away from home.
if there is anything out there which addresses this can anyone e-mail me, or post here.
thanks.
Post #: 1
- 5/31/2002 4:37:53 AM   
Supervisor

Welcome aboard. Their will be no AI patches, SPWAW is finished as far as any more changes or updates to the game. All attention is being focused on Combat Leader. There will be another patch to fix the MegaCampaign Lost Victories and possibly one last update to correct some issues with the OOB's(Order of Battle). The single most sinificant change that will make it more of a challange is turn turn on Command and Control in the preference screen, this is too comples to explain easily on it's effects but you can read all about it in the game manual located within the MatrixGames\SPWAW directory. The file name is manual.pdf so you'll need acrobat reader or equivalent to vies it. If you find the AI too predictable you can adjust settings in the preference screen that can make solitare more of a challange. Also at the begining of every new battle is the option to increase the AI level making them a tougher opponent. I hope this helps, after you've gotten your feet wet please come visit us in the SPWAW forum to join in discussion snd comments about the game. FYI I play solitare 75% of the time, it is a great way to hone your skills and tactics and to test new scenarios or campaigns.

(in reply to Grishnak)
Post #: 2
- 6/2/2002 8:33:52 AM   
Grishnak

Oh well.

I doubt that the excuse is that I'm too good.

I have all the max settings and stuff, but still the game falls flat when playing solitare.

The only reason I posted is because the original steel panthers had some of the basic AI I had mentioned above.

I just thought it was a glitch.

Just for the record, what are the hardest settings to set at?

(in reply to Grishnak)
Post #: 3
- 6/2/2002 9:24:51 AM   
Supervisor

200% is the max setting, which should prove to be quite troublesome.

(in reply to Grishnak)
Post #: 4
- 6/3/2002 10:18:32 PM   
Larry Holt

I believe that the preference setting go from 30% to 250%.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to Grishnak)
Post #: 5
- 6/3/2002 10:24:57 PM   
Larry Holt

There are two options that really beef up the AI:
-get someone else to alter your battles, setting up units, way points, etc. in an intelligent manner.
-play scenarios where this has already been done.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to Grishnak)
Post #: 6
- 6/4/2002 8:33:16 AM   
Supervisor

I just double checked the AI level can be adjusted from 0 to 200% added to experience and morale.

(in reply to Grishnak)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> SPWaW AI Patch? anyone..... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI