Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

PureSim Open Source

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> PureSim Open Source Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PureSim Open Source - 7/20/2009 11:34:07 PM   
puresimmer

I am considering the pros and cons of open sourcing PureSim's code.

For example:

Pro: More people can contribute
Con: I may need to spend more time reviewing code

One problem is the PureSim codebase is written in Visual Basic 6 (90%) and VB.NET (10%), so I am not sure if we have enough interested devs out there to make a difference. Using the addin model as a proxy for gauging this interest, my assumption is no.

So here is your thread to chime in and let me know if you be interested in becoming an active developer were I to open source it.

Shaun

Developer, PureSim Baseball
Post #: 1
RE: PureSim Open Source - 7/20/2009 11:54:11 PM   
KG Erwin

Personally, I have no interest in it, and secondly, you are running the risk of having inexperienced programmers (or deliberate hackers) thoroughly screwing it up. Thirdly, there's the self-mentioned prospect of reviewing changes.

So, I'd recommend saying fuhgeddaboudit. If you're going through another boredom stage (or developer's block) , then leave the code alone for awhile. You always come back to it, don't you?

This is YOUR baby, Shaun. God forbid that you'd give it up for adoption. I'm certain that many of my compatriots would agree.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 7/20/2009 11:56:40 PM >

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 2
RE: PureSim Open Source - 7/21/2009 2:45:24 AM   
Wrathchild

I think that I side with KG on this one. I couldn't imagine giving up the fruits of my labors to blasphemers and hacks (not that I'm saying that would happen). Of course, being who I am, I would love to get a look at the calculations and code behind an individual hitter's at bat.

J.G. Wrathchild, Manager, St. Louis Cardinals (1900-1906), Brooklyn Superbas (1907, 1908)

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 3
RE: PureSim Open Source - 7/21/2009 3:00:26 AM   
KG Erwin

My last word on this is that I hold no desire to peer "behind the curtain". Part of the appeal of PureSim, to me, is the mystery behind the numbers and how they interact. I don't WANT that aspect taken away.

(in reply to Wrathchild)
Post #: 4
RE: PureSim Open Source - 7/21/2009 3:11:05 AM   
Wrathchild

I can't help it. As someone that wrote programs since my early teens, knowing the logic and calculations just enhances the enjoyment for me. It's like playing an old Avalon Hill wargame: even though I know what the CRT possibilities are it doesn't lessen the enjoyment of the game.

J.G. Wrathchild, Manager, St. Louis Cardinals (1900-1906), Brooklyn Superbas (1907, 1908)

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
RE: PureSim Open Source - 7/21/2009 6:22:18 AM   
PadresFan104

Hrm.. I'd probably go buy a book on VB6 and VB.net if the code was opened up.. Not sure what the heck I'd do, but it'd be fun to tinker.

PadresFan's Text Sim Mod Website: http://www.padresfanmods.net
Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/padresfanmods

(in reply to Wrathchild)
Post #: 6
RE: PureSim Open Source - 7/21/2009 7:55:28 AM   
Tullius

quote:

One problem is the PureSim codebase is written in Visual Basic 6 (90%) and VB.NET (10%), so I am not sure if we have enough interested devs out there to make a difference. Using the addin model as a proxy for gauging this interest, my assumption is no.

As i am deeply in my MF projects so i have simply not the time but i think your offer would attract only older programmers. I see absolut no reason why anybody should now learn or deal with VB6 in these days. But i think soon or later you need to transform PS to a modern language (VB 2008) and then it could be an exciting starting point for younger programmers.

(in reply to PadresFan104)
Post #: 7
RE: PureSim Open Source - 7/21/2009 8:07:43 AM   
CrashDavis

quote:

So here is your thread to chime in and let me know if you be interested in becoming an active developer were I to open source it.

This I am sure will come as a shock to no one: Yes, I would be interested in becoming an active developer - with one caveat. I can work with the VB6 portion, but not with anything related to VB.NET.
In fact, I would be interested in becoming an active developer whether you open-source it or not. If time has become an issue, and you just need another programmer to help you continue your development of this great game, I would be happy to assist in that way as well.

Steven 'CrashDavis' Lucey
steven.lucey@insightbb.com

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 8
RE: PureSim Open Source - 7/21/2009 5:35:33 PM   
HotCornerDave

I'm on the fence with this one. On one side, I would love to have access to the source code. Like Al, I would pickup a couple books, educate myself, and do some tinkering. My wife affectionately calls me Curious George. Reviewing and tinkering with the code would definitely satisfy my curious side for some time. Also, having a few more eyes on the code might help Shaun to find bugs, fix nags, etc. I think this could be a really good thing for the game, mostly if Shaun doesn't have the time to commit to PureSim development.

On the other side, I hope this doesn't mean that Shaun is completely moving away from the game. And I would hope that we would still get official releases from Shaun.

(in reply to CrashDavis)
Post #: 9
RE: PureSim Open Source - 7/23/2009 8:59:08 AM   
akcranker

I also agree that we don't want the game to leave Shaun's hands and become someone else's baby.  We've all been following you since the start and will continue to follow you through the slow times and fast times of updates.

As for helping out.  I've always wanted to be a programmer and once upon a time played around in VB3.. but that was a very long time ago and I don't remember a thing.  Like others have mentioned.  It would be fun to pick up some books and study up and then look at the code and learn a few things in how you created Puresim.  Heck it might even inspire a few of us to try and create our own sims.  Which would be so much fun!!!

As for getting any assistance for you in looking at the code and advancing the game.  If you decide not to open-source the game, then I'd vote you take up CrashDavis' offer to assist you.  He's been a real big help in creating all the Add-In's and his work has always been quality so maybe he can assist you in adding new features and testing and cleaning up bugs.

(in reply to HotCornerDave)
Post #: 10
RE: PureSim Open Source - 7/23/2009 2:21:45 PM   
kcjoe

I'm with KG on this one!

(in reply to akcranker)
Post #: 11
RE: PureSim Open Source - 7/23/2009 2:50:05 PM   
puresimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: CrashDavis

quote:

This I am sure will come as a shock to no one: Yes, I would be interested in becoming an active developer - with one caveat. I can work with the VB6 portion, but not with anything related to VB.NET.
In fact, I would be interested in becoming an active developer whether you open-source it or not. If time has become an issue, and you just need another programmer to help you continue your development of this great game, I would be happy to assist in that way as well.

Steven 'CrashDavis' Lucey
steven.lucey@insightbb.com

Hey Crash, do you have Skype? If so, send me an email with your info, if not, you should get it. Maybe we can have a conversation about possibilities here.

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to CrashDavis)
Post #: 12
RE: PureSim Open Source - 7/23/2009 6:11:45 PM   
CrashDavis

Shaun,
you have e-mail (gmail).

SL

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 13
RE: PureSim Open Source - 7/23/2009 9:52:13 PM   
KG Erwin

Now THIS is a cool prospect, if Shaun has a known (and trusted) community member to become a participant. Hope you guys can get something worked out.

(in reply to CrashDavis)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> PureSim Open Source Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI