Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

ARGH!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> ARGH!!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ARGH!!! - 7/26/2009 3:07:47 AM   
Knavey

I just found out WitP-AE is now a standalone and I was not required to buy WitP to play it!

Why in the world did I buy WitP so many years ago?

Oh...wait, nevermind.

Might have had something to do with all those turns I sent out over email.

Back to the waiting.

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
Post #: 1
RE: ARGH!!! - 7/26/2009 3:14:45 AM   
DivePac88

Yes the waiting… the waiting is so very-very hard, it’s like giving up smoking all over again.

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 2
RE: ARGH!!! - 7/26/2009 4:52:45 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Knavey

I just found out WitP-AE is now a standalone and I was not required to buy WitP to play it!

Why in the world did I buy WitP so many years ago?

Oh...wait, nevermind.

Might have had something to do with all those turns I sent out over email.

Back to the waiting.

DANG IT!!!!!! I did the same thing!!!!

All that fun, excitement, wonder, toil, tears, revelation.... ALL wasted!!!!!!!!

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 3
RE: ARGH!!! - 7/26/2009 5:02:25 AM   
RevRick

Let's not go down the "giving up smoking" road...

Attachment (1)

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 4
RE: ARGH!!! - 7/26/2009 7:49:55 AM   
Lützow

quote:

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

Yes the waiting… the waiting is so very-very hard, it’s like giving up smoking all over again.

Giving up smoking is easy, I accomplished that like 6x during the past 10 years.

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 5
RE: ARGH!!! - 7/26/2009 8:46:03 AM   
dorjun driver

I lost my original download after a house fire, and even with my serial number, order number, credit card number &c &c, Digital River would not allow me to re-download.  So I repurchased WitP in May for ninety-some-odd bucks in expectation of needing it for AE.  Forking ice holes.

x - ARPAnaut
x - ACM
x - AES
Current - Bum

The paths of glory may lead you to the grave, but the paths of duty may not get you anywhere.
JT

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 6
RE: ARGH!!! - 7/26/2009 1:22:55 PM   
MadmanRick

quote:

ORIGINAL: dorjun driver

I lost my original download after a house fire, and even with my serial number, order number, credit card number &c &c, Digital River would not allow me to re-download.  So I repurchased WitP in May for ninety-some-odd bucks in expectation of needing it for AE.  Forking ice holes.

Wow, that's interesting to me as I've re downloaded the game at least twice in the years since I originally bought it. Once because I upgraded to a new machine and just a month ago, because I had to re format my HD. All I needed was the last five of the credit card number and my email address.

"Our lives begin to end the moment we become silent about things that matter". Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

(in reply to dorjun driver)
Post #: 7
RE: ARGH!!! - 7/26/2009 1:33:24 PM   
RalfBHV

quote:

I lost my original download after a house fire, and even with my serial number, order number, credit card number &c &c, Digital River would not allow me to re-download. So I repurchased WitP in May for ninety-some-odd bucks in expectation of needing it for AE. Forking ice holes.

No Problem, i have register my Games by Matrix. I become my serial numbers and i can download my games every times...

(in reply to MadmanRick)
Post #: 8
RE: ARGH!!! - 7/26/2009 1:35:25 PM   
Terminus

You "become" your serial numbers? ARGH! A CYBORG!

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to RalfBHV)
Post #: 9
RE: ARGH!!! - 7/26/2009 2:35:52 PM   
steveoccc

quote:

ORIGINAL: dorjun driver

Easy enough to find on bittorrent.

Post #: 10
RE: ARGH!!! - 7/26/2009 2:55:36 PM   
RalfBHV

quote:

(in reply to steveoccc)
Post #: 11
RE: ARGH!!! - 7/26/2009 2:55:59 PM   
Houtje

'Bekommen' is german for 'to get' - hence Nessaja's 'to become'. I don't think he's a cyborg

(in reply to steveoccc)
Post #: 12
RE: ARGH!!! - 7/26/2009 3:03:30 PM   
steveoccc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nessaja

quote:

If you're a registered owner of the game with a legitimate serial number, what difference does it make where you get the download from?

(in reply to RalfBHV)
Post #: 13
RE: ARGH!!! - 7/26/2009 3:32:32 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lützow

quote:

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

Giving up smoking is easy, I accomplished that like 6x during the past 10 years.

It's the not starting again part that seems to be the problem.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 14
RE: ARGH!!! - 7/26/2009 4:06:14 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: steveoccc

quote:

quote:

If you're a registered owner of the game with a legitimate serial number, what difference does it make where you get the download from?

Well, if you make that sort of comment, you make it quite difficult to accept for anybody that you're not a thief who's stolen this game, rather than a "registered owner with a legitimate serial number".

< Message edited by Terminus -- 7/26/2009 4:07:13 PM >

(in reply to steveoccc)
Post #: 15
RE: ARGH!!! - 7/26/2009 5:39:41 PM   
madgamer2

first you complain about having to have WitP to buy AE which was due to the idea that AE would be an expansion but has grown much bigger than that. with a manual almost 3 times as long as WitP it has be come a game of its own. Now your complaining about having not having to buy WitP to get AE.......sometimes I wonder about all of us being cooped up in this forum for so long.....does srange things to the mind.

Madgamer

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 16
RE: ARGH!!! - 7/26/2009 5:42:34 PM   
steveoccc

quote:

Well, if you make that sort of comment, you make it quite difficult to accept for anybody that you're not a thief who's stolen this game, rather than a "registered owner with a legitimate serial number".

So? I really don't care what "anybody" thinks. I was pointing out the bittorrent option to the guy who said he'd had to buy the game again because he'd lost his download in a house fire. Obviously, that info is a bit too late for him but if it helps somebody else with the same problem, then I'm glad to have helped.

I'm sure Matrix can look at my account and can see that I'm a "registered owner with a legitimate serial number".

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 17
RE: ARGH!!! - 7/26/2009 8:12:42 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: steveoccc
So? I really don't care what "anybody" thinks. I was pointing out the bittorrent option to the guy who said he'd had to buy the game again because he'd lost his download in a house fire. Obviously, that info is a bit too late for him but if it helps somebody else with the same problem, then I'm glad to have helped.

I'm sure Matrix can look at my account and can see that I'm a "registered owner with a legitimate serial number".

Doesn't matter if you have a legitimate copy, that's effectively endorsing piracy, which is simply theft. Doing that on our public forums is in bad taste and also against the forum rules. Consider yourself warned. The original customer should have spoken with us instead of DR, we could almost certainly have gotten him a link to re-download his own copy.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to steveoccc)
Post #: 18
RE: ARGH!!! - 7/26/2009 9:31:51 PM   
dorjun driver

Erik,

Yes, it was rather foolish of me.  I "misremembered" that all customer service related issues were to be addressed to DR.

Dorj

x - ARPAnaut
x - ACM
x - AES
Current - Bum

The paths of glory may lead you to the grave, but the paths of duty may not get you anywhere.
JT

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 19
RE: ARGH!!! - 7/27/2009 5:03:15 AM   
TalonCG2

Simple solution. Once you D/L it (talking about download purchase here, not bit torrent). Burn it to disc. Store disc in safety deposit box. 

Anytime you need to reinstall, you pop the disc in and away you go.

Clear skies and tailwinds,
Chuck

Post #: 20
RE: ARGH!!! - 7/27/2009 7:14:48 AM   
dorjun driver

Yeah.  Strangely enough, the paper work was safe, the backups weren't (CDs, tapes (get off my lawn).)  Did you ever have one of those years when nothing seemed to go right?  Well, this is shaping up to be one...

x - ARPAnaut
x - ACM
x - AES
Current - Bum

JT

(in reply to TalonCG2)
Post #: 21
RE: ARGH!!! - 7/27/2009 8:17:22 AM   
Cmdrcain

quote:

quote:

I lost my original download after a house fire, and even with my serial number, order number, credit card number &c &c, Digital River would not allow me to re-download. So I repurchased WitP in May for ninety-some-odd bucks in expectation of needing it for AE. Forking ice holes.

No Problem, i have register my Games by Matrix. I become my serial numbers and i can download my games every times...

I think its only if you bought extended d/l

Its "2 years" but Matrix says the link never expires if did.

If D/l without buying extended... 30 days and expires..

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!

Battlestar Pegasus

(in reply to RalfBHV)
Post #: 22
RE: ARGH!!! - 7/27/2009 8:36:20 AM   
Rapunzel

Well this time i will buy the extended download too... .

(in reply to Cmdrcain)
Post #: 23
RE: ARGH!!! - 7/27/2009 10:28:21 AM   
whippleofd

I've found Matrix to be very responsive to the issues I had concerning my digital downloads. I can't for the life of me see the need to go somewhere else to re-download the game.

I no longer had the credit card the purchase was made with, but I did have the serial number which I supplied and with in a few days I had the link to get the download again.

Can't ask for better service than that; especially considering how hard other companies make it to do the same thing.

Whipple

MMCS(SW/AW) 1981-2001
1981 RTC, SD
81-82 NPS, Orlando
82-85 NPTU, Idaho Falls
85-90 USS Truxtun (CGN-35)
90-93 USS George Washington (CVN-73)
93-96 NFAS Orlando
96-01 Navsea-08/Naval Reactors

(in reply to Rapunzel)
Post #: 24
RE: ARGH!!! - 7/27/2009 11:49:26 AM   
Ambassador

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

piracy, which is simply theft.

[puts his ADA hat]
Nope.

It "simply" isn't the same. I'm litterally fed up with that analogy that is being promoted by the media industry. Theft and piracy (or rather copyright infringement, to use the right word) are not the same thing.

Theft is illegally taking away someone else's property from its rightful owner without (prior or concurrent) consent of said owner. Do read "taking" & "from" : it really is the fact of depriving someone of his property that constitutes the offense, and I should add "with fraudulent intent". The actual definition varies from country to country, but this is a generalization that is valid in most of Europe and North America (South America too I guess, although I've never studied their penal laws thoroughly).
As such, this is an offense that does not lend itself "simply" to materials that can be duplicated at infinitum, like music, software, videos, etc. Hell, the simple act of "downloading without due legitimacy" is not an offense in a lot of countries : copyright infringement applies mostly to the act of publishing something without authorization. This is not to say that P2P is "safe" : you need to "publish" something to be able to download, so if you happen to upload a restricted material, you're going too far.
You might see an example of this in the problems that our countries have in closing websites that release music, videos, software, etc, outside of P2P - that is, "pure" download. In this case, the host country has to agree to close the website when its law is not as restrictive as ours (eg the case of Russia).
Besides, some countries are planning to extend the definition of copyright infringement to such "pure" downloading. But again, this is no theft, and they need to link this to the copyright infringement. By the way, some governments claim (like in UK) that this behaviour is already illegal, when it's not.

So, say that people should not download, that file sharing might be copyright infringement, etc, but stop equating those to "theft". This is profundly irksome for all lawyers and law-related profesionnals.
In short, just because theft and copyright infringement both are criminal offenses does not equate one with the other. Just like saying USS Essex is similar to USS Iowa is utterly wrong, even if both are warships. There's a world of difference in both cases.

[puts his ADA hat off]

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 25
RE: ARGH!!! - 7/27/2009 11:53:10 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cmdrcain
I think its only if you bought extended d/l
Its "2 years" but Matrix says the link never expires if did.
If D/l without buying extended... 30 days and expires..

Actually, by default you have a year to re-download. If you buy the extended download service, you can re-download forever. That's the reality of it, despite what the store says (DR requires us to say 30 days and 2 years).

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Cmdrcain)
Post #: 26
RE: ARGH!!! - 7/27/2009 12:07:44 PM   
Curious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ambassador

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

piracy, which is simply theft.

[puts his ADA hat]
Nope.

It "simply" isn't the same. I'm litterally fed up with that analogy that is being promoted by the media industry. Theft and piracy (or rather copyright infringement, to use the right word) are not the same thing.

Theft is illegally taking away someone else's property from its rightful owner without (prior or concurrent) consent of said owner. Do read "taking" & "from" : it really is the fact of depriving someone of his property that constitutes the offense, and I should add "with fraudulent intent". The actual definition varies from country to country, but this is a generalization that is valid in most of Europe and North America (South America too I guess, although I've never studied their penal laws thoroughly).
As such, this is an offense that does not lend itself "simply" to materials that can be duplicated at infinitum, like music, software, videos, etc. Hell, the simple act of "downloading without due legitimacy" is not an offense in a lot of countries : copyright infringement applies mostly to the act of publishing something without authorization. This is not to say that P2P is "safe" : you need to "publish" something to be able to download, so if you happen to upload a restricted material, you're going too far.
You might see an example of this in the problems that our countries have in closing websites that release music, videos, software, etc, outside of P2P - that is, "pure" download. In this case, the host country has to agree to close the website when its law is not as restrictive as ours (eg the case of Russia).
Besides, some countries are planning to extend the definition of copyright infringement to such "pure" downloading. But again, this is no theft, and they need to link this to the copyright infringement. By the way, some governments claim (like in UK) that this behaviour is already illegal, when it's not.

So, say that people should not download, that file sharing might be copyright infringement, etc, but stop equating those to "theft". This is profundly irksome for all lawyers and law-related profesionnals.
In short, just because theft and copyright infringement both are criminal offenses does not equate one with the other. Just like saying USS Essex is similar to USS Iowa is utterly wrong, even if both are warships. There's a world of difference in both cases.

[puts his ADA hat off]

This has got to be the finest example of legal hair-splitting that I've seen in a long time. The software pirate is depriving his victim of the victim's livelihood. The pirate is taking food out of his victim's mouth and the mouths of the victim's family. Lawyers can split hairs until they turn blue, but that sounds like theft to me. And intellectual property is still property. It sounds like the "difference" between theft and piracy is more a matter of semantics than reality anyway.

CB

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 27
RE: ARGH!!! - 7/27/2009 12:15:52 PM   
Ambassador

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curious

This has got to be the finest example of legal hair-splitting that I've seen in a long time. The software pirate is depriving his victim of the victim's livelihood. The pirate is taking food out of his victim's mouth and the mouths of the victim's family. Lawyers can split hairs until they turn blue, but that sounds like theft to me. And intellectual property is still property. It sounds like the "difference" between theft and piracy is more a matter of semantics than reality anyway.

CB

No, not really. Only because I did not delve in the details and did not compare the consequences of both. And "software piracy" is even easier to discuss than "music piracy", so it removes a lot of hair-splitting.

This "difference in semantics" that you call "hair-splitting" actually is the reason why the government of your country can't edict a law tomorrow that punishes the fact of posting messages on a forum, whatever their content, and punish you for the post you just did today. Because it wasn't illegal prior to you doing it, you can't be prosecuted for it. Same goes for copyright infringement : some acts simply are not banned (yet - and let's hope never, for my opinion).

Or as a friend of mine sometimes says: "lawyers are hair-splitters because the divide between a true democracy and a tyranny is thinner than the thinnest hair".

(in reply to Curious)
Post #: 28
RE: ARGH!!! - 7/27/2009 12:48:03 PM   
Terminus

No difference, except in the eyes of the apologist. Software piracy = theft. The end.

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 29
RE: ARGH!!! - 7/27/2009 12:48:59 PM   
Erik Rutins

Locking this up before we end up in a flame-war over piracy.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> ARGH!!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI