Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Good Napoleonic Reading

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> Napoleonic History >> Good Napoleonic Reading Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Good Napoleonic Reading - 7/27/2009 1:09:55 AM   
Russian Guard

Just finishing up "Napoleon's Campaign in Poland, 1806-1807", by Petre, with a forward by Chandler. An excellent if somewhat dry read, if you ever wanted to understand the importance of roads, weather, and the advantage of Corps over Columns, this is it.

Detailed descriptions, at the Battallion level in many cases, of the Battles of Pultusk, Elyau, Heilsberg and Friedland. Also the siege of Danzig and some other lesser-known actions.

Interesting aside - the author adamantly states that Massena was the best Marshal under Napoleon, with Davout 2nd. That ought to stir some arguments

Post #: 1
RE: Good Napoleonic Reading - 8/3/2009 9:42:53 AM   
Mus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Russian Guard

Interesting aside - the author adamantly states that Massena was the best Marshal under Napoleon, with Davout 2nd. That ought to stir some arguments

What does he use to justify the opinion? That Massena was more often given independent commands? Its not a bad point necessarily, just that Davout had more impressive results from what I have read.

Mindset, Tactics, Skill, Equipment
Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

(in reply to Russian Guard)
Post #: 2
RE: Good Napoleonic Reading - 8/10/2009 7:35:06 PM   
Russian Guard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Russian Guard

What does he use to justify the opinion? That Massena was more often given independent commands? Its not a bad point necessarily, just that Davout had more impressive results from what I have read.

Yes you hit the nail on the head, the author obviously finds more talent in the ability to operate independently. Davout virtually always worked closely with Napoleon, whereas Massena was often sent far away and trusted with independent command. He seems to think of Davout as the ultimate executor of someone else's plan. I don't agree, by the way. I think Davout was anyone's equal on the battlefield, including Wellington. Too bad Davout wasn't at Waterloo, from a "what-if" perspective.

(in reply to Mus)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> Napoleonic History >> Good Napoleonic Reading Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI