Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: AE Team

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: AE Team Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: AE Team - 7/24/2009 8:16:06 PM   
Grotius

Thanks for a very interesting thread. One doesn't see this sort of insider info from many game developers.

Heh, you mentioned that Mike was your resident AFB tester. Who had the JFB role? Brady?

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 91
RE: AE Team - 7/24/2009 9:30:59 PM   
treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Thanks for a very interesting thread. One doesn't see this sort of insider info from many game developers.

Heh, you mentioned that Mike was your resident AFB tester. Who had the JFB role? Brady?

That was a rhetorical question correct?

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 92
RE: AE Team - 7/24/2009 11:08:11 PM   
Grotius

Lol, I suppose it was mostly a rhetorical question. :-)

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 93
RE: AE Team - 7/24/2009 11:14:19 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

Who had the JFB role? Brady?

Well Brady started off with that role - but then he "graduated" to the AIFB role instead.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 94
RE: AE Team - 7/25/2009 1:34:48 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

Bill supported Kelley in this effort and together they have really made things look better.

quote:

ORIGINAL: TOMLABEL
And great support he has given!!!

As already mentioned, Bill is just one of the great programmers we have on the team; however, he is one of several programmers on the team who understands us 'art' guys!!! We owe many kudos for his support given to all the crazy ideas us art guys came up with and finding a way (code-wise) to make it work!

Growing up with a professional photographer probably helped. I'm like Joe, I can't do much in the way of art, but having lived with one, I did gain some appreciation for the process of creating a visual presentation and the artwork in a game is important.

I have wondered if some people are subconsciously drawn to naval games over land games because of the calming blue map?

Doing the code was easy. I appreciate that I had someone as talented and easy to work with as you was doing the "hard part".

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 95
RE: AE Team - 7/25/2009 1:46:07 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

Everyone has helped on the AI but I would like to my especial thanks to James and Brady -

James has put up with my couldnt we make the Ai do this....comments for two years now how he remains sane is beyond me. I dont think he has ever said this cannot be done not even to my wildest requests

Brady did a huge amount of testing on the AI in many ways I have been playing brady via an interdiary for over a year now - cursing him as he finds a way to stop the AI - and then going back tot he drawing board to come up with another cunning plan to beat him.

Andy

He's been beating up on your kid for the last 18 months.

Bill

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 96
RE: AE Team - 7/25/2009 5:14:19 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buck Beach

I am so complied to ask this question with a preface. I am such a fan of El Cid and his game contributions, that have mostly gone unrecognized by the community. I know he is dogmatic, opinionated, argumentative, non-flexible and I am sure there was no way he could have ever worked with a team effort such as AE and in fact he was prone to just pissing people off along the way. In fact many of the people mentioned as contributors to AE, went out of their way to ridicule him along the way.

But you know what guys although he followed his own path without and any recognition or encouragement, he (with Cobra's map help) did develop quite a few different workable concepts . And now guess what, he is working on a real life game between the Chinese and Formosa.

And now the question. Isn't there any way you can throw this dedicated WITP gamer a bone here as a contributor if not just for some of his ideas .

First, let me say I am glad to hear Sid is doing well. When people of our generation don't show up on the forum for awhile I get worried.

As to my history with Sid, ok, here goes a brief summary:

When Sid showed up on the forum in late 2005 (Nov IIRC) I saw his energy and interest. Among the projects Andrew had asked me to work on for CHS was a redo of the Japanese air OOB. Sid and I began discussing this - and I decided to give him a shot at it. By Feb 06 it was clear that the vision of what Sid was trying to achieve did not match up with the vision CHS was trying to achieve. There is nothing wrong with that. But in discussing "what to do next" - I mentioned that one option would be for Sid to do his own mod - and perhaps he could call it "RHS". I'm not sure I was serious with the name idea - more the spirit of how he was thinking - but he decided to adopt the name and go forth - nothing wrong with that either. Sid's separation from CHS had nothing to do with any "behavior" issues one way or the other. It was strictly a difference in artistic vision - and the Sid CHS split is not the only such split I've been involved in with this community - nothing unique - people feel strongly about certain things - and that is what makes life interesting!

From that point forward, Sid would contact Andrew or I when he had an issue. Andrew would answer the map issues I would look things up in the code for him. When Sid would quote an "anonymous Matrix programmer" - I assume he usually - if not always was referring to me. But Andrew and I certainly always have maintained a professional relationship with Sid - and we have never stopped.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 97
RE: AE Team - 7/25/2009 5:17:11 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2Stepper

Joe and company, congrats on a job well done I'm sure. I regret not having had the chance to join in the effort to bring a weather mans perspective to the game. Life, still being active in the military (though now retired after 21years) and some health issues kept me away.

That said though, I'm anxious to be able to get hold of this game and enjoy it as much as I did WITP. I may toss an odd suggestion or two around about the weather, but I'm sure we're in a better shape then before. One never knows. :) Besides, now that I'm in the software business professionally I can totally relate to the development cycle business so I won't be pushing for updates to spiral 300, dev build 1.1.1.1.1.1.0.a, or whatever it might be.

All kidding aside, it's good to be back and see so many familiar faces on the boards. So now it begins again! :)

Hey, hey, hey, there you are!

There was actually a question a few days back on this very sub-forum for the "weather team". I was thinking of you when I responded - well we're still waiting for our weather team to come back!!!

Anyway, Andrew has a place holder for you on the "patch list" - called "redo weather system". So, whenever you're ready, you can dive right in!

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to 2Stepper)
Post #: 98
RE: AE Team - 7/25/2009 1:31:43 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

Brady did his part (as you would expect), but the truth is that among almost all players (myself included) there is a certain natural tendency to "root for the underdog". Japan's problems are so much more obvious than the Allies...., that I felt oblidged to step into the AFB role to keep reminding folks that there would be TWO sides playing the game when it was released. The "Loyal Opposition" as it were.

I'm pretty sure I generated some heat and frustration among others on the AE Team..., and I know they returned the feelings as well---but hopefully the finished product is better for the effort on all sides.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 99
RE: AE Team - 7/25/2009 1:34:14 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

...Andrew and I certainly always have maintained a professional relationship with Sid - and we have never stopped.

That is indeed the case. Sid has done a vast amount for the WitP community. I think we all recognise that. Yes, his vision was different from many of us who wotked on CHS, but I think having CHS + RHS is a lot better than having CHS alone (not forgetting all of the other mods, of course).

Andrew

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 100
RE: AE Team - 7/25/2009 8:31:16 PM   
JWE

Well, so long as we are in the mode of honoring people who did not contribute to AE, but who have contributed to the wealth of information pertaining to the game and who informed the thought processes of the team members; I have some candidates. Others may have additional candidates, and my list is sparse. Many others should be included, but apart from certain AE team members (already mentioned), this is my personal top-o-the-walk.

m10bob
local yokel

Bless you and all who sail in you.

John

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 101
RE: AE Team - 7/25/2009 10:48:28 PM   
Buck Beach

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

Well, so long as we are in the mode of honoring people who did not contribute to AE, but who have contributed to the wealth of information pertaining to the game and who informed the thought processes of the team members; I have some candidates. Others may have additional candidates, and my list is sparse. Many others should be included, but apart from certain AE team members (already mentioned), this is my personal top-o-the-walk.

m10bob
local yokel

John

Hear Hear!!

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 102
RE: AE Team - 7/26/2009 5:02:01 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

m10bob
local yokel

John

And lets not forget Spooky, who has very generously made a website available for hosting all of the mods, plus more besides.

Of course the problem with starting to mention people who have contributed means that inevitably other worthy people will not get a mention...

Andrew

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 103
RE: AE Team - 7/26/2009 6:42:36 AM   
jwilkerson

Well, if it wasn't for the WITP community - we would never have done this to begin with - when all is said and done - that's who we did this for.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 104
RE: AE Team - 7/26/2009 8:36:26 AM   
Terminus

Speak for yourself, I did it for the enormous paycheck, the expense account, the Bugatti Veyron and, of course, to get chicks.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 105
RE: AE Team - 7/26/2009 2:24:25 PM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Speak for yourself, I did it for the enormous paycheck, the expense account, the Bugatti Veyron and, of course, to get chicks.

Of course by Bugati Verron, you mean a die cast miniature and by chicks you mean young chickens right?

Bill

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 106
RE: AE Team - 7/26/2009 2:26:27 PM   
Terminus

No... You mean you haven't gotten yours yet?

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 107
RE: AE Team - 7/26/2009 2:26:57 PM   
jwilkerson

I think Mr. T is confusing being a Rock Star with being on the AE Team.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 108
RE: AE Team - 7/26/2009 2:31:29 PM   
Terminus

I pity the fool who doesn't!

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 109
RE: AE Team - 7/26/2009 5:08:02 PM   
CaptDave

And by "enormous paycheck" he means one the size of those corporations use to make donations in front of the TV cameras (his just happens to be made out for zero dollars and zero cents).

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 110
RE: AE Team - 7/26/2009 5:29:42 PM   
ChickenOfTheSea

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buck Beach

I am so complied to ask this question with a preface. I am such a fan of El Cid and his game contributions, that have mostly gone unrecognized by the community. I know he is dogmatic, opinionated, argumentative, non-flexible and I am sure there was no way he could have ever worked with a team effort such as AE and in fact he was prone to just pissing people off along the way. In fact many of the people mentioned as contributors to AE, went out of their way to ridicule him along the way.

But you know what guys although he followed his own path without and any recognition or encouragement, he (with Cobra's map help) did develop quite a few different workable concepts . And now guess what, he is working on a real life game between the Chinese and Formosa.

And now the question. Isn't there any way you can throw this dedicated WITP gamer a bone here as a contributor if not just for some of his ideas .

First, let me say I am glad to hear Sid is doing well. When people of our generation don't show up on the forum for awhile I get worried.

As to my history with Sid, ok, here goes a brief summary:

When Sid showed up on the forum in late 2005 (Nov IIRC) I saw his energy and interest. Among the projects Andrew had asked me to work on for CHS was a redo of the Japanese air OOB. Sid and I began discussing this - and I decided to give him a shot at it. By Feb 06 it was clear that the vision of what Sid was trying to achieve did not match up with the vision CHS was trying to achieve. There is nothing wrong with that. But in discussing "what to do next" - I mentioned that one option would be for Sid to do his own mod - and perhaps he could call it "RHS". I'm not sure I was serious with the name idea - more the spirit of how he was thinking - but he decided to adopt the name and go forth - nothing wrong with that either. Sid's separation from CHS had nothing to do with any "behavior" issues one way or the other. It was strictly a difference in artistic vision - and the Sid CHS split is not the only such split I've been involved in with this community - nothing unique - people feel strongly about certain things - and that is what makes life interesting!

From that point forward, Sid would contact Andrew or I when he had an issue. Andrew would answer the map issues I would look things up in the code for him. When Sid would quote an "anonymous Matrix programmer" - I assume he usually - if not always was referring to me. But Andrew and I certainly always have maintained a professional relationship with Sid - and we have never stopped.

I was a playtester for Sid's monster EBO scenario on both sides and I agee with Joe's comments about working with Sid. There is no question that he really had a passion for what he was doing. Although we were very different in personality and world view, our interactions were always courteous and productive. I think he eventually felt that the WITP engine could not accomodate all the things he wanted to do. The project he is on now is one he had been considering for quite some time and I think he felt he accomplish more there.

In that regard, I would like to offer a special thanks to the AE team for the improvements to the editor and opening up more of the game for mods. The next generation of WITP modders are not going to face nearly the level of frustration and puzzlement that Andrew Brown and Sid faced.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is. - Manfred Eigen

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 111
RE: AE Team - 7/26/2009 6:01:50 PM   
Admiral DadMan

I am my own paycheck...

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to ChickenOfTheSea)
Post #: 112
RE: AE Team - 7/26/2009 6:56:45 PM   
Ron Belcher

I can't say anything that hasn't been said already, at this point !

Kudos to all of ya who worked on AE !! God Bless ya  !!!

Artwork graciously provided by Rogueusmc

(in reply to mutterfudder)
Post #: 113
RE: AE Team - 7/26/2009 10:38:39 PM   
Grotius

quote:

I felt oblidged to step into the AFB role to keep reminding folks that there would be TWO sides playing the game when it was released. The "Loyal Opposition" as it were.

Cool. Sounds good, Mike. :)

(in reply to Ron Belcher)
Post #: 114
RE: AE Team - 7/27/2009 3:42:23 PM   
InHarmsWay

I dont post often but reading this thread really drove home the sacrifice this whole group of gentlemen made for this game. Saying you will accomplish a 1+ year goal and actually working 3+ years to do so, while dealing with an online peanut gallery to say nothing of personal life committments is remarkable. No matter what the individual accomplishment, being a part of the team that pulled this together has got to be a great feeling. I just have to say thanks to all of you!

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 115
RE: AE Team - 7/27/2009 10:41:16 PM   
TheElf

quote:

ORIGINAL: InHarmsWay

I dont post often but reading this thread really drove home the sacrifice this whole group of gentlemen made for this game. Saying you will accomplish a 1+ year goal and actually working 3+ years to do so, while dealing with an online peanut gallery to say nothing of personal life committments is remarkable. No matter what the individual accomplishment, being a part of the team that pulled this together has got to be a great feeling. I just have to say thanks to all of you!

To be fair we only dealt with an online peanut gallery for a about a year and a half...though it feels longer.

IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

(in reply to InHarmsWay)
Post #: 116
RE: AE Team - 7/27/2009 10:42:35 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheElf

To be fair we only dealt with an online peanut gallery for a about a year and a half...though it feels longer.

Much longer....

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 117
RE: AE Team - 7/27/2009 10:43:52 PM   
Andy Mac

Oh yes....

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 118
RE: AE Team - 7/27/2009 10:49:17 PM   
steveh11Matrix

quote:

Oh yes....

Oh goodness, were we that bad?
(Rhetorical!)

Steve.

"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 119
RE: AE Team - 7/27/2009 10:50:28 PM   
treespider

quote:

Oh yes....

You can blame me...but don't send me the psychiatrist bill...

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: AE Team Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI