Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tanks and Walls

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Tanks and Walls Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tanks and Walls - 10/27/2000 5:03:00 PM   
ncpanther

Not sure if this has been brought up , but I cant find it if it has. I'm playing an email game and my T-34s keep crashing into walls and getting immobilized. When I mentioned this to my enemy, he said he was having the same problem. So now we both have tank forces in our rear areas that will never see battle. This has reduced the fight to an inf battle. (which I dont mind) and I guess its kinda realistic but that aint the point. Is this a new bug or the same old one comming up again? even if we move one hex at a time around a wall the tank will still crash into it. Anyone else having this problem?? Any fix? ------------------ NC Airborne Sappers Lead the way!! SAPPERS ATTACK!!!!

NC Airborne Sappers Lead the way!! SAPPERS ATTACK!!!!
Post #: 1
- 10/27/2000 6:03:00 PM   
Warhorse

Guess I'm lucky, but haven't had too much problem with this. I did have three Hungarian CV 33's run buildings down when I was careless, and just ckicked at the end of the movement radius, when there was a row of buildings next to the units!! Just plain carelessness here, then to do it two more times, doh!;-) ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to ncpanther)
Post #: 2
- 10/27/2000 6:37:00 PM   
Fredde

Even if you move one hex at the time around the wall the tank will run into it and become immobilized? I never saw that. Can it be some issue with "invisible" building hexes? If you move the cursor over the road hex in particular, does it say anything about buildings? Haven't seen it yet in 4.4, and not for a long time in the earlier versions as well (except when using whole formation moves)

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

(in reply to ncpanther)
Post #: 3
- 10/27/2000 6:53:00 PM   
Wild Bill

There is a rather long explanation as to why this sometimes happens. The AI does not see those walls. It is looking for the quickest route to where you want it to go. When around walls, buildings, etc, move slowly, hex by hex, carefully, which really a tank would do anyway. Those tank drivers seem to get a charge out of busting walls. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to ncpanther)
Post #: 4
- 10/27/2000 7:58:00 PM   
ncpanther

Thanks All. I have had this both moving to end of movement radius AND when moving 1 hex at a time. However, it does not happen on road hexs its off road hexs that seem to be affected. ------------------ NC Airborne Sappers Lead the way!! SAPPERS ATTACK!!!!

(in reply to ncpanther)
Post #: 5
- 10/27/2000 8:26:00 PM   
Drake

That can happen when a map is not will made. A wall can be overlaping into a hex that done look like it has a wall. Myself when I make maps I make that nothing overlapes or anything like that.

(in reply to ncpanther)
Post #: 6
- 10/27/2000 10:05:00 PM   
Tommy

I've run into this several times: moving 1 hex at a time and crashing/immob my tank. In every case, I hovered over the hex to read the terrain and it was listed as a wall or some other tread buster. But the killer is - it was never visible on the map. The hex had no wall graphic! I've had the reverse happen as well; I'm near a wall and the "move radius" hexes leak out through a wall that's plainly drawn. I check the hex with my cursor and it does not report a wall in the hex. I then drive through it without harm. We seem to be able to show one thing but have the hex be something else. I'll bet it happens as the map is corrected or modified by the designer. Tommy

(in reply to ncpanther)
Post #: 7
- 10/27/2000 10:38:00 PM   
Fredde

A very dumb question. Are you sure it's not just random breakdowns?

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

(in reply to ncpanther)
Post #: 8
- 10/27/2000 11:41:00 PM   
ncpanther

quote:

Originally posted by Fredde: A very dumb question. Are you sure it's not just random breakdowns?
POSITIVE!!! ya hear and see the crash and the wall collapse and your immob. Guess I'll just have to be even more careful. LOL this should be an interesting battle though.!! ------------------ NC Airborne Sappers Lead the way!! SAPPERS ATTACK!!!!

(in reply to ncpanther)
Post #: 9
- 10/28/2000 12:28:00 AM   
Arralen

Talking about a) buildings or b) walls ?? Buildings .. 2 problems here: - displayed incorrectly; point the mouse to a hex, if the pop-up says "building", than there is a building, nomatter how the map looks like - may occupy the same hex as a trail/road; AI still has problems navigating around those; again look at the pop-up window if there's a building in the hex or not Walls: Single problem - are displayed as walls I mean, they look like a long, thin line, but in fact the whole hex is marked as "wall", so even if it looks like there's more then enough room to drive through, in fact you can't avoid crashing into the wall . Hope this helps. Arralen

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1

(in reply to ncpanther)
Post #: 10
- 10/28/2000 1:03:00 AM   
Drake

quote:

Originally posted by Fredde: A very dumb question. Are you sure it's not just random breakdowns?
Never a dumb question, just dumb answers

(in reply to ncpanther)
Post #: 11
- 10/28/2000 11:03:00 PM   
CommieKiller

Hey folks, Fairly new to wargamming and really new to SPWAW (past week). I also have the habit of having armor running into buildings. Is there any way to recover the vehicles? The current military has recovery vehicles, were they available in WWII? If so could they be added to the vehicle list? Any help would be appreciated.

All's a rush till the rounds start flying-and your friends start dying.

(in reply to ncpanther)
Post #: 12
- 10/29/2000 4:17:00 AM   
Wild Bill

We discussed recovery vehicles at length here, CK, but we decided that within the time frame of the game it was not feasible. Of course you were not here then and did not know that. I understand. Addressing this issue in detail. I think this problem is related to, as some of you have said, to map editing. If you don't click clear terrain into hexes that you modify, vestiges of earlier terrain remain. Examples: walls. Sometimes you have to click clear terrain twice into such a hex where you remove a wall to be sure it disappears. Multihex buildings. A multihex building occupies 7 hexes, the center hex and six surrounding hexes. The art work, however, may not have a building in all 7 hexes. So it behooves the designer to click clear terrain into those hexes where none or a tiny piece of a building touch a hex. If not, even though it looks clear, it is considered "building" hex. I have been guilty of this too many times and am trying to correct any such problems. Also, clicking and reclicking a building hex sometimes makes the building "grow" or become taller, you can occasionally get some real skyscrapers. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to ncpanther)
Post #: 13
- 10/29/2000 4:18:00 AM   
Wild Bill

There is a new re-ocurrence of tanks going into buildings that we had eliminated earlier. I am encouraging our test group to look into this and resolve it. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to ncpanther)
Post #: 14
- 10/29/2000 4:27:00 AM   
Kharan

quote:

Originally posted by Commie: Hey folks, Fairly new to wargamming and really new to SPWAW (past week). I also have the habit of having armor running into buildings. Is there any way to recover the vehicles?
You can tow immobilized tanks with trucks (by loading them just like infantry), if they have the carry capacity. In one of my first online games a month or so ago I towed an immobilized Tiger to a good firing position with a Buessing-Naag truck.

(in reply to ncpanther)
Post #: 15
- 10/29/2000 9:34:00 AM   
CommieKiller

Thanks for the info. I guess I need to be more careful while conducting MOUT.

All's a rush till the rounds start flying-and your friends start dying.

(in reply to ncpanther)
Post #: 16
- 10/29/2000 9:54:00 AM   
Drake

quote:

Originally posted by Kharan: You can tow immobilized tanks with trucks (by loading them just like infantry), if they have the carry capacity. In one of my first online games a month or so ago I towed an immobilized Tiger to a good firing position with a Buessing-Naag truck.
Thats something that should be fixed, it took two prime movers to move one tiger and they never would have moved it to were it could get shot at

(in reply to ncpanther)
Post #: 17
- 10/29/2000 10:46:00 AM   
Kharan

quote:

Originally posted by Drake: Thats something that should be fixed, it took two prime movers to move one tiger and they never would have moved it to were it could get shot at
Neither did the Tigers normally drive into stone buildings and walls . The problem is that all tanks, halftracks and armored cars have pretty much the same carry costs... if you have a truck with carry capacity of 2xx you can load any of them. [This message has been edited by Kharan (edited October 28, 2000).]

(in reply to ncpanther)
Post #: 18
- 10/30/2000 6:39:00 PM   
ncpanther

quote:

Originally posted by Arralen: Talking about Walls: Single problem - are displayed as walls I mean, they look like a long, thin line, but in fact the whole hex is marked as "wall", so even if it looks like there's more then enough room to drive through, in fact you can't avoid crashing into the wall . Hope this helps. Arralen
And this is the EXACT Problem we are having! I thought there was enough room and Bam! nope . well ya learn the hard way! Fighting has become house to house now with zero armor support on either side! This is one for the books. Bloody bloody bloody. !!! I'm pumped! ------------------ NC Airborne Sappers Lead the way!! SAPPERS ATTACK!!!!

(in reply to ncpanther)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Tanks and Walls Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI