Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Which ships/TF for transport to friendly beaches?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Which ships/TF for transport to friendly beaches? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Which ships/TF for transport to friendly beaches? - 7/28/2009 7:14:30 PM   
Grotius

Suppose I have a tiny base, with port size 0 or 1, and I wish to put supply and/or troops there. Should I use a Transport TF or an Amphibious TF? And what sort of ships should I use? E.g., should I use APAs and AKAs rather than regular APs or AKs?

I have read and re-read the manual's extensive documentation of loading and unloading, but it's possible I missed something. :)

Post #: 1
RE: Which ships/TF for transport to friendly beaches? - 7/28/2009 7:23:05 PM   
NormS3

I recall a thread discussing this. Amphibious taskforces were strongly recomended for small ports. APAs and AKAs are better as I recall.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 2
RE: Which ships/TF for transport to friendly beaches? - 7/28/2009 7:24:30 PM   
Terminus

Yah. The reason being, with a size 0 or 1 port, you're better off unloading over the beach from an AKA.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to NormS3)
Post #: 3
RE: Which ships/TF for transport to friendly beaches? - 7/28/2009 7:24:30 PM   
Erik Rutins

John posted this in another thread:

"Just to make you tear out even more of your hair, you have to be very careful when you talk about “AK/APs”. There’s 3 different kinds.

An xAK (or xAP) is a typical commercial carrier; it has 2-5 ton cranes, a crew of 30-40, and is in general “commercial” service; cargo ‘trash’ haulers, or passenger ‘slave’ ships. They can carry stuff, but load/unload PAINFULLY slowly unless in a port with “facilities”. Some of these had a ‘deep tank’ or a forepeak tank that carried a liquid cargo (av-gas, kerosene, etc ..)

An AK (AP) is a navalized ship, with 10-15 ton cranes, a crew of maybe 300, integral lighters (LCs), and is designed/converted/constructed to haul military cargoes into harms way. Because of their integral deck facilities, crew, and lighterage, they are “relatively” independent of port size restrictions.

An AKA (APA) is a fully navalized assault transport: 15-40 ton cranes, crew of 340-400, Welling davits, LCI, LCVP, LCM up the wazoo. These are the sharp end of the flaming telephone pole looking to be inserted into the bad people’s … well.

You will need to be very, very, very, very, judicious in your selection of just which types are going to perform what sorts of functions."

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to NormS3)
Post #: 4
RE: Which ships/TF for transport to friendly beaches? - 7/28/2009 7:34:15 PM   
DrewMatrix

These sorts of differences between xAK, AK, and AKA are the thing I really love about this game!

Beezle - Rapidly running out of altitude, airspeed and ideas.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 5
RE: Which ships/TF for transport to friendly beaches? - 7/28/2009 7:53:18 PM   
jhdeerslayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beezle

These sorts of differences between xAK, AK, and AKA are the thing I really love about this game!

Me too. I am still trying to figure out all the ship codes for all the other nifty ships we have now. That part of the manual will be dog eared shortly.

(in reply to DrewMatrix)
Post #: 6
RE: Which ships/TF for transport to friendly beaches? - 7/28/2009 8:06:17 PM   
moose1999

I've got an engineer regiment on route to a friendly beach on board a handful of APs.
How bad an idea is this?
And will it make any difference whether I make the TF a transport TF or an amphibious TF? (remembering to change the ground unit's stance accordingly, of course...)

regards,

Briny

(in reply to jhdeerslayer)
Post #: 7
RE: Which ships/TF for transport to friendly beaches? - 7/28/2009 8:11:45 PM   
Jim D Burns

So in short:

xAK = Used for rear area shuttles.
AK = Used for forward area shuttles (faster unload speeds = less exposure to danger).
AKA = Save these for assault landings, you'll need em.

Same rules apply to the AP class.

Jim

< Message edited by Jim D Burns -- 7/28/2009 8:12:22 PM >

Post #: 8
RE: Which ships/TF for transport to friendly beaches? - 7/28/2009 8:16:28 PM   
jhdeerslayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: briny_norman

I've got an engineer regiment on route to a friendly beach on board a handful of APs.
How bad an idea is this?
And will it make any difference whether I make the TF a transport TF or an amphibious TF? (remembering to change the ground unit's stance accordingly, of course...)

Good question. I'm a rookie too but I think the answer lies on pages 125 and 127 where you compare the unload table (transport/cargo) versus the unload rates for amphibious. There are a few variables but seems amphibious is best.

(in reply to moose1999)
Post #: 9
RE: Which ships/TF for transport to friendly beaches? - 7/28/2009 9:10:38 PM   
DrewMatrix

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deerslayer

I am still trying to figure out all the ship codes for all the other nifty ships we have now. That part of the manual will be dog eared shortly.

I printed out the complicated part of the ship abbreviations list and have it on a sheet taped to the monitor, at least for the first couple of turns. I am setting up local ASW/Mine warfare TFs in my first turn and need to keep all the minor ship types straight.

Delightful!

Beezle - Rapidly running out of altitude, airspeed and ideas.

(in reply to jhdeerslayer)
Post #: 10
RE: Which ships/TF for transport to friendly beaches? - 7/28/2009 11:09:29 PM   
Blackhorse

If you're doing an Amphibious Landing at a friendly base with no or few port facilities (0 or 1) it will help if the first unit you land has Naval Support squads. It doesn't take many NS squads to make a beach as effective as a level 2 or level 3 port.

And if you look around your LCUs, you'll find -- by a remarkable coincidence -- some small base units that appear to be designed especially for this purpose. Starting on December 8th, look around for "[A-F] Detachment USN Port Service Battalion". These can be very helpful if your looking to reinforce the South Pacific.

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to DrewMatrix)
Post #: 11
RE: Which ships/TF for transport to friendly beaches? - 7/28/2009 11:55:20 PM   
AttuWatcher

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beezle

Me too. I love ships and AE's got tons of 'em!

(in reply to DrewMatrix)
Post #: 12
RE: Which ships/TF for transport to friendly beaches? - 7/29/2009 12:52:32 AM   
Halsey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackhorse

If you're doing an Amphibious Landing at a friendly base with no or few port facilities (0 or 1) it will help if the first unit you land has Naval Support squads. It doesn't take many NS squads to make a beach as effective as a level 2 or level 3 port.

And if you look around your LCUs, you'll find -- by a remarkable coincidence -- some small base units that appear to be designed especially for this purpose. Starting on December 8th, look around for "[A-F] Detachment USN Port Service Battalion". These can be very helpful if your looking to reinforce the South Pacific.

These are some of the most important Allied units in the game.

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 13
RE: Which ships/TF for transport to friendly beaches? - 7/29/2009 12:56:43 AM   
Jensemann

youre all talking about the difference between "transport mission" and "amphibious mission" in my aleutains campain i coudnt load troops unless the taskforce had "amphibious" as mission, is this something special with this scenario or am i doing someting wrong?

I was mixing all kind of transport ships by the way as i hadnt figured out the differences:)

(in reply to AttuWatcher)
Post #: 14
RE: Which ships/TF for transport to friendly beaches? - 7/29/2009 12:59:08 AM   
Halsey

Amph TF: LCU's in combat mode.

Trans TF: LCU's must be in strat mode.

(in reply to Jensemann)
Post #: 15
RE: Which ships/TF for transport to friendly beaches? - 7/29/2009 1:00:57 AM   
Jensemann

quote:

ORIGINAL: Halsey

Amph TF: LCU's in combat mode.

Trans TF: LCU's must be in strat mode.

oh thanks, i guess it will take weeks if not months till i have figured out all the small details

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 16
RE: Which ships/TF for transport to friendly beaches? - 7/29/2009 1:02:40 AM   
Shark7

A size 1 port is really no more than an anchorage. It would have no cargo handling capabilities at all.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Jensemann)
Post #: 17
RE: Which ships/TF for transport to friendly beaches? - 7/29/2009 1:03:50 AM   
Halsey

Use Amph TF's to move to all bases with less than a 3 port level.
Supply and LCU's.

If you don't it'll take WEEKS to unload them.

Hint, port size is now more important than airfield size.

You can grease the unloading time with naval support points.

< Message edited by Halsey -- 7/29/2009 1:07:11 AM >

(in reply to Jensemann)
Post #: 18
RE: Which ships/TF for transport to friendly beaches? - 7/29/2009 1:21:43 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Nice bit of information
quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

John posted this in another thread:

"Just to make you tear out even more of your hair, you have to be very careful when you talk about “AK/APs”. There’s 3 different kinds.

An xAK (or xAP) is a typical commercial carrier; it has 2-5 ton cranes, a crew of 30-40, and is in general “commercial” service; cargo ‘trash’ haulers, or passenger ‘slave’ ships. They can carry stuff, but load/unload PAINFULLY slowly unless in a port with “facilities”. Some of these had a ‘deep tank’ or a forepeak tank that carried a liquid cargo (av-gas, kerosene, etc ..)

An AK (AP) is a navalized ship, with 10-15 ton cranes, a crew of maybe 300, integral lighters (LCs), and is designed/converted/constructed to haul military cargoes into harms way. Because of their integral deck facilities, crew, and lighterage, they are “relatively” independent of port size restrictions.

An AKA (APA) is a fully navalized assault transport: 15-40 ton cranes, crew of 340-400, Welling davits, LCI, LCVP, LCM up the wazoo. These are the sharp end of the flaming telephone pole looking to be inserted into the bad people’s … well.

You will need to be very, very, very, very, judicious in your selection of just which types are going to perform what sorts of functions."

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

Post #: 19
RE: Which ships/TF for transport to friendly beaches? - 7/29/2009 10:30:51 PM   
Grotius

quote:

Supply and LCU's.

Ah, so choice of TF type matters when hauling stuff to friendly beaches, not just choice of ship. Thanks!

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 20
RE: Which ships/TF for transport to friendly beaches? - 7/29/2009 10:39:56 PM   
oldman45

Its painful when you get the message that the AK can't unload the remainder of a unit and you know the japs are coming

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 21
RE: Which ships/TF for transport to friendly beaches? - 8/19/2009 11:24:10 AM   
Husky_MatrixForum

quote:

Supply and LCU's.

Sorry, but what is any reason to use TF's for "transport mission" if "amphibious mission" have all advantages (low lvl ports, no need to use "strat. mode")?

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 22
RE: Which ships/TF for transport to friendly beaches? - 8/19/2009 11:52:35 AM   
Sonny II

quote:

ORIGINAL: Husky

quote:

Supply and LCU's.

Sorry, but what is any reason to use TF's for "transport mission" if "amphibious mission" have all advantages (low lvl ports, no need to use "strat. mode")?

Amphib operations cause losses and you cannot pack the ships as efficiently, i.e. load as much on to them as in transport mode.

(in reply to Husky_MatrixForum)
Post #: 23
RE: Which ships/TF for transport to friendly beaches? - 8/19/2009 12:00:12 PM   
Kumppi

Amphibious mission TFs are loaded in combat load. What this means is that only 80% of the cargo capacity of the ships (except of beaching crafts) in the TF is used. So it is not as efficient as using a TF with a transport mission. 

(in reply to Husky_MatrixForum)
Post #: 24
RE: Which ships/TF for transport to friendly beaches? - 8/19/2009 12:20:19 PM   
John Lansford

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldman45

Its painful when you get the message that the AK can't unload the remainder of a unit and you know the japs are coming

Yes it is; I've got a base force and defending units on Makin but the engineering vehicles are sitting at PagoPago waiting for a fast AK that can get in there, unload them and get the heck back out. I had tried to unload them from a xAK and it was just too slow, and I kept getting the dreaded "cannot fully unload the unit" message...

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 25
RE: Which ships/TF for transport to friendly beaches? - 8/19/2009 12:32:58 PM   
Sardaukar

And Transport TF unloads way faster in decent-size ports.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Sonny II)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Which ships/TF for transport to friendly beaches? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI