Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Additional partial map scenario interest?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Additional partial map scenario interest? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Additional partial map scenario interest? - 7/28/2009 7:06:09 PM   
Chad Harrison

Hi all

Having a blast playing AE. Amazed by every aspect of it. So far I plan to play all the smaller scenarios both against the AI and with PBEM before making the big jump. Having a blast in the Aleutians with PBEM already.

I know from my years playing WitP that there tends to be a group of players who *prefer* to play limited map scenarios, especially for PBEM as they do not have time to play the big show with PBEM.

I know that the AE team has already provided and/or is working on the following partial map scenarios:

1. Coral Sea (2 week, released)
2. Aleutians (2 months, released)
3. Guadanacal (6 months, released)
4. Operation Downfall (unknown length, will be released with a patch)

Questions:

1. I am curious if anyone, whether on the AE team or otherwise, is planning on making additional partial map scenarios? I know that a number of AE team members are working on 'unoficial' stuff, such as the measure paint artwork and 'Don's Babies'. Again, are there any other oficial/unofical partial map scenarios in the works?
2. As an AE player, are you interested in additonal partial map scenarios? For play against the AI? PBEM? Both?
3. If yes to question 2, if you could have your choice, what partial map scenarios would you like to see in AE?

Personally I would love to see as many partial map scenarios as possible for PBEM play. Just off the top of my head, I would really, really love to see the following:

1. South Pacific Grand Campaign - similar in scope to the UV grand campaign (IIRC May 1st 1942 to spring 1944, assumes Miday does *not* occur). Pretty good balance without Midway occuring, so fun options for both sides.
2. Liberation of the Phillipines - covering the Allies offensive starting in late 1944 and continuing to the end of the war. Fun options for both sides on this one as the Japanese player can avoid many of the historic downfalls, or atleast try too.
3. Mariana Islands - Historic battle for Saipan, Tinian and Guam. While the Japanese are obviously undergunned a bit, can still make for a great battle and a great testing grounds for amphibious operations.

Again, I am just curious to see what is/is not planned oficially and unoficially.

Thanks in advance.

Chad
Post #: 1
RE: Additional partial map scenario interest? - 7/28/2009 7:23:39 PM   
Terminus

At the moment, to my knowledge, there are no additional scenarios planned, other than Downfall. However, there was talk at one point about the Philippines scenario you mentioned, and that may yet come to pass.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Chad Harrison)
Post #: 2
RE: Additional partial map scenario interest? - 7/28/2009 7:40:15 PM   
Andy Mac

I am working on a fictional post IJN midway victory/PM captured with Japan holding New Cal scenario set in latter half of 42 to focus on japanese going for NZ or Fiji so it will be a Cruiser fight withthe RN carrier and maybe ranger being the only allied carriers against 1 or 2 IJN Carriers

It will be a carrier light scenario and I want the AI to work properly its probably about 6 - 8 weeks away but it wont be an offical scenario - anyone who uses slot 26 I will be fighting you for it !!!

Andy

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: Additional partial map scenario interest? - 7/28/2009 7:42:35 PM   
Andy Mac

p.s. its slightly shelved at present unitl we survive this week

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 4
RE: Additional partial map scenario interest? - 7/28/2009 7:42:49 PM   
Akos Gergely

Wooohoo that's great news Andy!!!

Other than this probably a Gilberts / Operation Galvanic scen would be nice.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 5
RE: Additional partial map scenario interest? - 7/28/2009 7:43:31 PM   
Terminus

And Downfall is scheduled to be about 7 or so months long.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 6
RE: Additional partial map scenario interest? - 7/28/2009 8:37:58 PM   
Chad Harrison

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

And Downfall is scheduled to be about 7 or so months long.

Great to hear Termy. Honestly, that is the one I look forward to the most. All that fun late war stuff So I am happy to hear that we will actually have ample time to play it out and not be forced to rush landing the troops.

quote:

However, there was talk at one point about the Philippines scenario you mentioned, and that may yet come to pass.

If I had to pick a number two choice, this would be it. It late war, both sides have fun things, Kami's come into play, the IJN still exists (to an affect), both amphib and land battles. Fun times if you ask me. I would look forward to playing either side in this one.

So if I can throw in a word to get this to be an official scenario, that would be great! Obviously there are more pressing issues at this moment, but down the road it would be great to see this one as an official one.

By the way, I have no idea how you are all fielding all the threads popping up! Its insane. How many threads in the last 24 hours???

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 7
RE: Additional partial map scenario interest? - 7/28/2009 8:40:22 PM   
Chad Harrison

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

I am working on a fictional post IJN midway victory/PM captured with Japan holding New Cal scenario set in latter half of 42 to focus on japanese going for NZ or Fiji so it will be a Cruiser fight withthe RN carrier and maybe ranger being the only allied carriers against 1 or 2 IJN Carriers

It will be a carrier light scenario and I want the AI to work properly its probably about 6 - 8 weeks away but it wont be an offical scenario - anyone who uses slot 26 I will be fighting you for it !!!

Andy

So its partial map right? That would be really fun if it is! That's what I love about partial map ones: you can throw crazy 'what-if's' out there!

Dont get me wrong, I love playing the grand campaign both against the AI and with PBEM, but I play much more reserved because I have to live with my victories/defeats for years to come. In a small scenario you can go all uber-aggressive and try things out that you would not try out otherwise.

Fun times

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 8
RE: Additional partial map scenario interest? - 7/28/2009 8:57:57 PM   
Andy Mac

Oh yes very limited map its just a pain going through all the units to allocarte them I can sorta do LCU's inside a couple of days and bases but air and navy stuff takes me forever to do !!!

Post #: 9
RE: Additional partial map scenario interest? - 7/28/2009 9:28:42 PM   
Chad Harrison

quote:

Oh yes very limited map its just a pain going through all the units to allocarte them I can sorta do LCU's inside a couple of days and bases but air and navy stuff takes me forever to do !!!

Cool. Will be fun for sure.

But that's my single biggest problem with the editor and creating my own scenarios. I can figure out how to do stuff, but how you guys figure out what units were where is beyond me. I can easily enough tell you where the 3rd Marine division was on any given day, but the 131st USN Base Force? You guys amaze me.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 10
RE: Additional partial map scenario interest? - 7/28/2009 10:22:23 PM   
Historiker

There'll be also a BB scenario where I've exchanged every single ship from both sides by BBs!
Finally some BB action as some thousands on each side are waiting!

BBs rule!

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

Post #: 11
RE: Additional partial map scenario interest? - 7/29/2009 12:03:37 AM   
AttuWatcher

I'm excited by all of the scenarios discussed in this thread! The more the merrier!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 12
RE: Additional partial map scenario interest? - 7/29/2009 3:17:34 PM   
SteveD64

Since you asked,  Indian Ocean Raid, Malaya Campaign, Midway, Burma, Java.

(in reply to AttuWatcher)
Post #: 13
RE: Additional partial map scenario interest? - 7/29/2009 3:36:13 PM   
Barb

Burma campaign could be nice... but which one? 41-42(japs onslaught)? 42-43(Arakan+chindits)? 43-44(Arakan+Northern front+U-go)? 44-45(allied race for rangoon)? 

I would say 43-44 looks best with offensive capabilities on both sides.

(in reply to SteveD64)
Post #: 14
RE: Additional partial map scenario interest? - 7/29/2009 4:00:58 PM   
Andy Mac

Well I hope someone is stepping upto do all these scne ideas

It does seem that small scenarios are more in use than I expected I will prioritise trying to get my War in NZ one done if anyone needs help witht he AI for their scenario drop me a line

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 15
RE: Additional partial map scenario interest? - 7/29/2009 4:49:40 PM   
SteveD64

What's, um, funny is that I don't even own the game (yet) and I'm requesting scenarios! .  I don't think I'll ever have the time to play the grand campaign so having a bunch of scenarios would be pretty cool.  Since Guadalcanal is for me the most interesting period of the Pacific War it basically sold me on buying this game eventually.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 16
RE: Additional partial map scenario interest? - 7/29/2009 5:57:17 PM   
vettim89

Would love to see a Cartwheel Campaign. Probably include the conquest of PNG also as it ran at the same time. Posible dates would be 2/43-1/44 or 8/42-1/44 which would include the GC campaign also. The problem with the SoPac wscenario is three months of deadtime between May and August 1942. SO I say skip Coral Sea and start at GC

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to SteveD64)
Post #: 17
RE: Additional partial map scenario interest? - 7/30/2009 12:30:33 AM   
Nail78

Enjoying the Guadalcanal scenario. Hope there will be more short ones like it. I just don't have the time too finish a campaign. Tried doing the 43 campaign with WitP and have only made it too February of 44. I agree with one of the previous posters would like too see something in the later years like 43, 44 and 45.

Post #: 18
RE: Additional partial map scenario interest? - 7/30/2009 3:56:45 AM   
Chad Harrison

quote:

Well I hope someone is stepping upto do all these scne ideas

It does seem that small scenarios are more in use than I expected I will prioritise trying to get my War in NZ one done if anyone needs help witht he AI for their scenario drop me a line

Especially with all the new finer points of AE, I think that just about every player would have interest in smaller scenarios before they make the big leap.

Looking at the AAR's, this would seem to be true.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 19
RE: Additional partial map scenario interest? - 7/30/2009 6:26:42 AM   
Alikchi2

I'd love some of these scenarios. Burma would be great, as would UV Revisited.

Post #: 20
RE: Additional partial map scenario interest? - 7/30/2009 7:36:20 AM   
berto

• Philippines '41-'42
  • Philippines '44-'45
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Uncommon Valor Redux
  • Burma
  • short-duration naval battle scenarios, a la Coral Sea, to simulate Battles of: Leyte Gulf, Philippine Sea, Bismarck Sea, Midway, Santa Cruz, Guadalcanal (all battles around), etc.

The more the merrier.

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to Alikchi2)
Post #: 21
RE: Additional partial map scenario interest? - 7/30/2009 8:40:25 AM   
Alikchi2

Way back, Cap Mandrake mentioned the idea of a sort of template battle scenario, with even forces on both sides. Ahistorical and arcadey, but good for a short balanced game.. I'll try to dig up his original post, he put it better than me..

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 22
RE: Additional partial map scenario interest? - 7/30/2009 9:35:06 AM   
Terminus

A naval combat sandbox should be quite easy to whip up.

(in reply to Alikchi2)
Post #: 23
RE: Additional partial map scenario interest? - 7/30/2009 11:22:00 AM   
Historiker

As I acutally have my nose deep in books about the Japanese "Descisive Battle" doctrine, I think I may do a "WPO Descisive Battle" Scenrio as soon as the download of AE has worked.
Jap fleet of late Washington Treaty era against same time USN. To keep it easy with 12/41 planes. The USN has to cross the Marshalls and Marianas to reach Manila. The Marshalls and Marianas are filled with Jap LBA. The goal would be to play the historcally planned weakening of the US Battle line by light forces and LBA until it's weakend enough for a descisive Surface Battle.
Should be able do create this within some hours, I hope.
Duration of the scenario about two or three weeks.

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 24
RE: Additional partial map scenario interest? - 7/30/2009 11:44:48 AM   
Terminus

Hop to it then... Oh wait, you haven't got the game yet...

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 25
RE: Additional partial map scenario interest? - 7/30/2009 11:46:30 AM   
Historiker

hahahahehehehehuhuhu buhuhuhuhuhu

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 26
RE: Additional partial map scenario interest? - 7/30/2009 2:12:17 PM   
Mundy

I'll vouch for the full UV scenarios.  I love playing these and the May 1st scenario in WITP.  The main reason I don't go back to UV is the more "refined" feel that WITP had. (along with -AltFont)  The new map scale would suit good ol' scenario 17 just fine.

Despite the hypothetical nature (KB survives Midway), I like the May 1 start and the fact that everything in-theatre is being built from scratch.

M-

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 27
RE: Additional partial map scenario interest? - 7/30/2009 3:05:53 PM   
Chad Harrison

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

A naval combat sandbox should be quite easy to whip up.

I agree on this. I remember that TOAW:III had a small PBEM scenario that was a mirror image for both OOB and terrain. Something similar in AE would be a great battle ground and testing ground for PBEM games.

Along with that Downfall scenario. Are we there yet?

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 28
RE: Additional partial map scenario interest? - 7/31/2009 1:18:37 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alikchi

Way back, Cap Mandrake mentioned the idea of a sort of template battle scenario, with even forces on both sides. Ahistorical and arcadey, but good for a short balanced game.. I'll try to dig up his original post, he put it better than me..

Yes..I remember that converstaion. A sort of capture the flag/paintball type thing. The Solomons would seem a good candidate. Big Jap base at Rabaul. Big Allied base at Luganville. Maybe one level 4 airfield within B-25/Sally range of the 50 yard line. Rough parity in forces. One daitai of Bettys, one squadron of 17's, some fighters. No carriers at start...just subs, DD's and APD's and AK's..then the cruisers show up...then the BB's...then the carriers...and some AP's with a division or two.

Maybe Munda or Vella Lavela (or however you spell that) could be the 50 yd line. I would have to look at the map.

(in reply to Alikchi2)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Additional partial map scenario interest? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI