Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land Page: <<   < prev  39 40 [41] 42 43   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/23/2009 3:17:26 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: hellfirejet

Yes Leander class light cruisers have 8 x 21" TT but that won't help much because Graf Spee had radar which as you know can see through smoke.

Well, I'm not a naval war expert, but I believed that radar directed gunfire was much less precise than normal gunfire, and that during WW2 only the Americans had used radar directed gunfire successfully during the naval battles in the Surigao straits in late 1944 against Japanese ships with which they had no visual contact, and that this was the first occurence of such a fight.

I believed that the radars installed in warships, especially the first models that the warships of 1939 / 1940 had, were only useful for navigation and detection, not gun directing.

Am I wrong ?

(in reply to hellfirejet)
Post #: 1201
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/23/2009 3:22:31 PM   
hellfirejet

No your correct just for detection,just meant that Graf Spee could locate the light cruisers through smoke if need be,so smoke screen would not help them thats all.

I never mentioned radar directed gunfire !!!!!!

< Message edited by hellfirejet -- 7/23/2009 3:25:19 PM >

Regards,
Graham.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction! Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 1202
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/23/2009 3:38:26 PM   
Froonp

quote:

No your correct just for detection,just meant that Graf Spee could locate the light cruisers through smoke if need be,so smoke screen would not help them thats all.

I never mentioned radar directed gunfire !!!!!!

Ah yes, I though about radar directed gunfire because the cruisers outrun the Graf Spee, so even if the Graf Spee knows where they are, she can't evade them. Her only way of evade them is shelling them and damaging them enough so that they sow down or sink. Moreover, there were 3 cruisers, so they could have had a torpedo shot at the Graf Spee.

Post #: 1203
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/23/2009 3:41:39 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

Yes Leander class light cruisers have 8 x 21" TT but that won't help much because Graf Spee had radar which as you know can see through smoke.

Well, I'm not a naval war expert, but I believed that radar directed gunfire was much less precise than normal gunfire, and that during WW2 only the Americans had used radar directed gunfire successfully during the naval battles in the Surigao straits in late 1944 against Japanese ships with which they had no visual contact, and that this was the first occurence of such a fight.

I believed that the radars installed in warships, especially the first models that the warships of 1939 / 1940 had, were only useful for navigation and detection, not gun directing.

Am I wrong ?

I looked this up because I had no idea that Admiral Graf Spee had radar and I was also wondering if it could direct gunfire.

According to wikipedia Graf Spee had an Seetakt radar. The version before the one that Graf Spee (Graf Spee had a better version) was equipped with managed to spot a ship 8 km away, with an accuracy of up to 50 m, enough for gun-laying. This was considerably more accurate that the guns they ranged for, which typically had spreads of over 100 m. It was also much better than the optical rangefinding equipment of the era, which would typically be accurate to about 200 m at 20,000 m.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seetakt_radar

< Message edited by Orm -- 7/23/2009 3:45:13 PM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 1204
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/23/2009 4:10:52 PM   
micheljq

NVM. deleted.

< Message edited by micheljq -- 7/23/2009 4:11:15 PM >

Post #: 1205
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/23/2009 8:00:11 PM   
warspite1

quote:

All true but in my eyes it's better to go down fighting than let yourself be scuttled,maybe a bit to agressive, but I would have taken the damage,closed the range on Exeter and blown her out of the water,then turned my attention on the those annoying light cruiser,with my main + secondary armaments,I don't think Ajax or Achilles could have withstood much 11in shell damage before being SUNK,they can't shadow and give position reports if they are at the bottom of the south atlantic,the army and airforce were fighting and taking heavy losses,the navy should have done the same,I mean they were supposed to be at war.

All reports after the battle showed that it was Exeters 8in shells, that were penetrating Admiral Graf Spee armour and doing damage,Ajax and Achilles 6in shells in general were not penetrating her armour,so the damage they were inflicting was more annoying than a major concern.After Exeter had been sunk, I feel the light cruisers would have had to try and increase the range or suffer the same fate of Exeter.

Then when at there max 6in gun range any hits would be fewer, but Admiral Graf Spees 11in shells with the aid of plunging fire, would go through Ajax & Achilles armour like a hot knife through butter,with only one outcome the destruction of the ship.

Warspite1

HFJ

"I would have taken the damage, closed the range on Exeter and blown her out of the water"

That`s what Langsdorff tried to do. Having made up his mind to attack he sought to close the range fast - and as the bigger threat, turned his 11-inchers on Exeter. However the RN ship would not die, and she was not rendered hors de combat until she had smacked the Graf Spee - the very thing Langsdorff could not afford to happen.

"then turned my attention on the those annoying light cruiser, with my main + secondary armaments, I don't think Ajax or Achilles could have withstood much 11in shell damage before being SUNK"

But again, Graf Spee DID (so giving Exeter respite), and the British/Kiwi cruisers DIDN`T!

"they can't shadow and give position reports if they are at the bottom of the south atlantic"

They did shadow the Graf Spee - all the way into Montevideo. Occasionally they strayed too close, and Graf Spee would open up, but they were never hit - and never lost contact.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 1206
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/23/2009 8:04:51 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

All true but in my eyes it's better to go down fighting than let yourself be scuttled,maybe a bit to agressive, but I would have taken the damage,closed the range on Exeter and blown her out of the water,then turned my attention on the those annoying light cruiser,with my main + secondary armaments,I don't think Ajax or Achilles could have withstood much 11in shell damage before being SUNK,they can't shadow and give position reports if they are at the bottom of the south atlantic,the army and airforce were fighting and taking heavy losses,the navy should have done the same,I mean they were supposed to be at war.

All reports after the battle showed that it was Exeters 8in shells, that were penetrating Admiral Graf Spee armour and doing damage,Ajax and Achilles 6in shells in general were not penetrating her armour,so the damage they were inflicting was more annoying than a major concern.After Exeter had been sunk, I feel the light cruisers would have had to try and increase the range or suffer the same fate of Exeter.

Then when at there max 6in gun range any hits would be fewer, but Admiral Graf Spees 11in shells with the aid of plunging fire, would go through Ajax & Achilles armour like a hot knife through butter,with only one outcome the destruction of the ship.

I think you underestimate what damage the always aggressive, and skilled, English could do. Maybe they would try to do smoke screens and get in close and torpedo Admiral Graf Spee. That is asuming that the light cruisers had torpedos.

Warspite 1

"I think you underestimate what damage the always aggressive, and skilled, English could do"

Well said Orm!

"Maybe they would try to do smoke screens and get in close and torpedo Admiral Graf Spee. That is asuming that the light cruisers had torpedos".

That`s exactly what they did try - as did the Graf Spee - though with no success

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1207
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/24/2009 7:00:53 AM   
warspite1

Given the discussion above, please see attached the write up for Graf Spee, which is finished subject to any comment.

[4784 Graf Spee - by Robert Jenkins]
.B Engine(s) output: 54,000 hp
.B Top Speed: 28 knots
.B Main armament: 6 x 11-inch (280mm), 8 x 5.9-inch (150mm) guns
.B Displacement (full load): 16,200 tons
.B Thickest armour: 3-inch (belt)
.P Under the terms of the Treaty of Versailles, the German Navy was allowed
to build warships up to a 10,000 ton displacement and with 11-inch main armament.
These limitations were designed to restrict the type of vessel that the Germans
could realistically build. Nothing more than a coastal defence type unit was
likely to be achieved within these limitations..or so it was thought.
.P However, the German designers came up with a design that met the restrictions
but provided a useful, modern, surface raider. The key principle was that the
ships had to be more powerful than any faster ship and faster than any more
powerful ship, and this was true at the time they were built, with the exception
of the three Royal Navy battlecruisers: Hood, Repulse and Renown.
.P The ships used diesel engines, which were more economical than steam turbines,
something necessary for a surface raider. The use of diesel also meant that the
engines produced less smoke; again a bonus given their planned deployment.
.P To the Germans, these were panzerschiffe or armoured ships. To the British
they became known as pocket-battleships. However, as with all ships, there were
compromises to be made. The class were thinly armoured and had all their main
armament concentrated in just two turrets.
.P Up to eight ships were planned originally, but only three were laid down and
completed before the appearance of the French Dunkerque-class made the Germans
re-think future ships.
.P In 1940 they were re-classified as heavy cruisers.
.P Graf Spee was completed in January 1936. She set out for her first deployment
on the 21st August 1939, eleven days before the outbreak of the Second World War.
Her task was to get herself in position in the South Atlantic to await the order
to begin attacking Allied merchant shipping. To assist her operation, the supply
ship Altmark had sailed at the beginning of August for the USA where she loaded
up with fuel and other stores for the Graf Spee`s future use (see Transport
Counter 4822).
.P It was only on the 26th September that Graf Spee was given the opportunity to
attack but Captain Langsdorff, in command of the Graf Spee, was also given orders
not to attack enemy naval vessels, even if more lightly armed than his own.
Furthermore, his ability to attack merchant shipping was restricted because of
the Prize Regulations. After the propaganda disaster that was the U-30`s attack
on the liner Athenia, no attacks on passenger vessels were allowed either.
.P The British and French formed eight hunting groups to try and track down the
surface raiders. These hunting groups initially consisted of four aircraft
carriers, three battlecruisers and thirteen cruisers that were spreadout to cover
the vast expanses of the North, South and Indian Oceans. It was like looking for
needle in a haystack.
.P In the period September to December 1939, the Graf Spee sank nine merchant
ships totalling just over 50,000 GRT in the South Atlantic and the Indian Oceans.
During these nine sinkings, no Allied sailors were killed, as Langsdorff followed
the Prize Regulations. The merchant sailors captured were then transferred to the
Altmark as and when Graf Spee rendezvoused with her supply ship.
.P In early December, Langsdorff decided it was time to head back to Germany.
Graf Spee was starting to feel the effects of almost four months at sea and her
engines needed maintenance. Langsdorff decided to sail for the rich pickings to
be found off the River Plate estuary on the South American trade route, before
beginning the voyage back to Germany.
.P This was where the Royal Navy`s Commodore Henry Harwood, had guessed that Graf
Spee would go next. Harwood was in command of Force G that consisted of the heavy
cruiser Exeter and the light cruisers Achillies and Ajax. Harwood had devised a
plan of attack to beat the pocket-battleships using a cruiser force before the
war; this plan was about to be put into effect.
.P Langsdorff had grown increasingly frustrated by his orders which were clear;
he could not engage with enemy naval forces. Contrary to popular belief, it was
not Harwood that spotted and then attacked Graf Spee; rather it was Langsdorff
that spotted the Royal Navy cruisers and chose to do battle. His decision to
engage on the morning of the 13th December was a risky one as he needed to sink
or sufficiently cripple his opponents. If he did not, Graf Spee would not have
the speed to shake off a subsequent shadowing by the cruisers who would bring
every available ship down on the panzerschiffe.
.P The battle started at 0617hrs when Graf Spee opened up her 11-inch guns at
just over 21,500 yards. She headed at top speed toward the cruisers in order
to close the range. Exeter took the brunt of Graf Spee`s initial salvos which
were deadly accurate, but three minutes later, Exeter was able to return fire
and scored a hit on one of the German 4.1-inch anti-aircraft guns and her fresh
water plant. Graf Spee then scored a direct hit on Exeter`s B turret and
splinters from this shell smashed into her bridge killing almost everyone there.
Exeter`s Captain Bell was wounded, but was able to continue giving orders from
the secondary control position.
.P Meanwhile, the light cruisers had begun opening fire at 0622hrs and at about
0630hrs, with Exeter having taken severe punishment, Langsdorff turned his
attention to Ajax and Achilles. While the three ships fired at each other, Exeter
used the respite to launch an unsuccessful torpedo strike. Graf Spee then turned
her attention back to the heavy cruiser once more and for about ten minutes the
two ships, Exeter with just four guns left, duelled. The Graf Spee was hit twice
more but by now Exeter had just one turret operational. Graf Spee switched target
once more and Achilles was badly damaged by an 11-inch shell near missing her.
Her director control tower became a bloody mass of bodies. This damage affected
the firing accuracy of Achilles and both she and Ajax were having problems
hitting their target. After this, Graf Spee switched back one final time to
Exeter, resulting in the heavy cruiser breaking off the engagement at 0729hrs
when her third and final turret went out of action.
.P However, Graf Spee had not got away unscathed and her forward turret had given
her problems intermittently during the battle. The two remaining cruisers started
to hit the German ship more frequently, although many of the British shells were
simply bouncing off the German ship`s armour belt. Graf Spee responded with a
shell that took out both X and Y turret on Ajax. It was now 0730hrs and the range
was 11,000 yards. Ajax launched a torpedo strike, as did Graf Spee but neither
were successful. The fighting continued until 0740hrs, when Harwood decided to
withdraw in order to attack at night; but Graf Spee did not follow. Instead
Langsdorff headed west towards the River Plate, shadowed by the two bruised and
bloodied light cruisers. From time to time the pursuers strayed into range of the
enemy guns and had to withdraw under smokescreen, but they ensured that they
remained sufficiently close to Graf Spee so as not to lose her. Surprisingly,
Langsdorff made for the neutral country of Uruguay and Montevideo harbour rather
than the more friendly Argentina.
.P Once there, he asked the Uruguayans for time to effect repairs to his ship.
However, under international law Graf Spee could only remain in the neutral port
for 24 hours. In addition, she could not leave port less than 24 hours after a
merchant ship belonging to a country she was at war with had left port. The
British, acutely aware that there were no capital ships close to Uruguay at that
time told the captains of British and French merchant vessels in Montevideo to
leave at 24 hour intervals in order to keep Graf Spee holed up. However,
Langsdorff was in no hurry to go anywhere. He could not know there were no other
warships anywhere close to Montevideo other than the two light cruisers that Graf
Spee had just evaded, but he seemed to convince himself there were. No doubt
false intelligence fed to the Germans that this was the case did nothing to
dispel such thoughts, and it was rumoured that a large force of capital ships,
including an aircraft carrier, were anchored off the River Plate. In the end,
Langsdorff decided to scuttle his ship rather then have her interned in Uruguay
or have her fight a hopeless battle against what he thought were superior forces.
Langsdorff killed himself shortly after the scuttling.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1208
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/24/2009 8:30:57 AM   
hellfirejet

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Given the discussion above, please see attached the write up for Graf Spee, which is finished subject to any comment.

to build warships up to a 10,000 ton displacement and with 11-inch main armament.
.P However, the German designers came up with a design that met the restrictions
powerful ship, and this was true at the time they were built, with the exception
.P The ships used diesel engines, which were more economical than steam turbines,
re-think future ships.
.P Graf Spee was completed in January 1936. She set out for her first deployment
on the 21st August 1939, eleven days before the outbreak of the Second World War.
Her task was to get herself in position in the South Atlantic to await the order
to begin attacking Allied merchant shipping. To assist her operation, the supply
Counter 4822).
.P It was only on the 26th September that Graf Spee was given the opportunity to
attack but Captain Langsdorff, in command of the Graf Spee, was also given orders
carriers, three battlecruisers and thirteen cruisers that were spreadout to cover
the vast expanses of the North, South and Indian Oceans. It was like looking for
needle in a haystack.
ships totalling just over 50,000 GRT in the South Atlantic and the Indian Oceans.
During these nine sinkings, no Allied sailors were killed, as Langsdorff followed
the Prize Regulations. The merchant sailors captured were then transferred to the
.P This was where the Royal Navy`s Commodore Henry Harwood, had guessed that Graf
Spee would go next. Harwood was in command of Force G that consisted of the heavy
splinters from this shell smashed into her bridge killing almost everyone there.
attention to Ajax and Achilles. While the three ships fired at each other, Exeter
used the respite to launch an unsuccessful torpedo strike. Graf Spee then turned
two ships, Exeter with just four guns left, duelled. The Graf Spee was hit twice
more but by now Exeter had just one turret operational. Graf Spee switched target
.P However, Graf Spee had not got away unscathed and her forward turret had given
her problems intermittently during the battle. The two remaining cruisers started
to hit the German ship more frequently, although many of the British shells were
shell that took out both X and Y turret on Ajax. It was now 0730hrs and the range
bloodied light cruisers. From time to time the pursuers strayed into range of the
Langsdorff made for the neutral country of Uruguay and Montevideo harbour rather
However, under international law Graf Spee could only remain in the neutral port
British, acutely aware that there were no capital ships close to Uruguay at that
Langsdorff was in no hurry to go anywhere. He could not know there were no other
warships anywhere close to Montevideo other than the two light cruisers that Graf
or have her fight a hopeless battle against what he thought were superior forces.

Superb Warspite1.

Regards,
Graham.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction! Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1209
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/24/2009 8:52:30 AM   
Orm

quote:

re-think future ships.
Counter 4822).
needle in a haystack.

Superb,

as always.

Thanks to, as always, well informed forum members I learned that Graf Spee was one of few ships that had radar at the outbreak of the war. Maybe that Graf Spee had radar is worth mentioning?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1210
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/24/2009 8:58:37 AM   
hellfirejet

quote:

Yip your right again they were not designed to engage Battleships,and that the newer battleships were faster the French Dunkerque's approx 30 knots compared to the Pocket battleships 28 knots,not to be to disrespectful to the French navy but they did not do much during the war either!

In regard to fighting more than one target,her 6 x 11in main armament could engage the most powerful opponent, while her 8 x 5.9in secondary could keep other targets busy,as at the battle of the river plate that I mentioned earlier proved, she was more than capable of taking on more than one opponent.

Name: Admiral Graf Spee
Namesake: Maximilian von Spee
Laid down: 1 October 1932
Launched: 30 June 1934
Commissioned: 6 January 1936
Nickname: Graf Spee
Fate: Scuttled 17 December 1939
General characteristics
Class and type: Deutschland class Heavy cruiser
Displacement: 12,100 t standard;
16,200 t full load
Length: 610 ft 3 inch
Beam: 70 ft 10 inch
Draught: 24 ft 3 inch
Propulsion: 3 shafts Eight 9-cylinder double-acting two-stroke MAN diesels
two screws, 52,050 hp
Speed: 28.5 knots (53 km/h)
Range: 8,900 nautical miles at 20 knots (16,500 km at 37 km/h)
Or
19,000 nautical miles at 10 knots (35,000 km at 18.5 km/h)
Complement: 1001-1,150
Electronic warfare
and decoys: Early version of Seetakt radar
Armament:
6 × 280 mm (11 inch)
8 × 150 mm (5.9 inch)
6 × 105 mm (4.1 inch)
8 × 37 mm
10 × 20 mm
8 × 533 mm (21 inch) torpedo tubes
Armour:
turret face: 5.6 inch
belt: 3 inch
torpedo bulkhead: 1.9 inch
deck: 1.6 inch
control tower : 6 inch
Aircraft carried: Two Arado 196 seaplanes, one catapult

Radar is listed in this Graf Spee description I listed earlier.If I have one critisim of Warspite1 writeup it is this,I feel that this description lists far more detail about Admiral Graf Spee than his,sorry Robert.

< Message edited by hellfirejet -- 7/24/2009 3:38:45 PM >

Regards,
Graham.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1211
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/24/2009 3:36:48 PM   
composer99

quote:

These hunting groups initially consisted of four aircraft
needle in a haystack.

I believe you mean "North Atlantic, South Atlantic, and Indian Oceans"?

~ Composer99

Post #: 1212
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/24/2009 3:49:22 PM   
hellfirejet

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

quote:

needle in a haystack.

I believe the North,South and Indian Oceans you are refering to comes from Warspite1 writeup

I had nothing to do with it so I'm afraid my plea is not guilty me lord

Also in my defence I'm entering a special plea of insanity, caused by playing to many Matrix games, resulting in lack of sleep

< Message edited by hellfirejet -- 7/24/2009 4:11:39 PM >

Regards,
Graham.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 1213
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/24/2009 6:55:19 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

quote:

needle in a haystack.

Warspite1

Composer 99 you are quite right - master file duly amended - many thanks

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 1214
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/24/2009 7:08:47 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Yip your right again they were not designed to engage Battleships,and that the newer battleships were faster the French Dunkerque's approx 30 knots compared to the Pocket battleships 28 knots,not to be to disrespectful to the French navy but they did not do much during the war either!

In regard to fighting more than one target,her 6 x 11in main armament could engage the most powerful opponent, while her 8 x 5.9in secondary could keep other targets busy,as at the battle of the river plate that I mentioned earlier proved, she was more than capable of taking on more than one opponent.

Name: Admiral Graf Spee
Namesake: Maximilian von Spee
Laid down: 1 October 1932
Launched: 30 June 1934
Commissioned: 6 January 1936
Nickname: Graf Spee
Fate: Scuttled 17 December 1939
General characteristics
Class and type: Deutschland class Heavy cruiser
Displacement: 12,100 t standard;
16,200 t full load
Length: 610 ft 3 inch
Beam: 70 ft 10 inch
Draught: 24 ft 3 inch
Propulsion: 3 shafts Eight 9-cylinder double-acting two-stroke MAN diesels
two screws, 52,050 hp
Speed: 28.5 knots (53 km/h)
Range: 8,900 nautical miles at 20 knots (16,500 km at 37 km/h)
Or
19,000 nautical miles at 10 knots (35,000 km at 18.5 km/h)
Complement: 1001-1,150
Electronic warfare
and decoys: Early version of Seetakt radar
Armament:
6 × 280 mm (11 inch)
8 × 150 mm (5.9 inch)
6 × 105 mm (4.1 inch)
8 × 37 mm
10 × 20 mm
8 × 533 mm (21 inch) torpedo tubes
Armour:
turret face: 5.6 inch
belt: 3 inch
torpedo bulkhead: 1.9 inch
deck: 1.6 inch
control tower : 6 inch
Aircraft carried: Two Arado 196 seaplanes, one catapult

Radar is listed in this Graf Spee description I listed earlier.If I have one critisim of Warspite1 writeup it is this,I feel that this description lists far more detail about Admiral Graf Spee than his,sorry Robert.

Warspite1

HFJ

I would answer as follows:

- There simply isn`t the room to give a full technical download. Because I have tried to standardise the type of info given, the write-ups would be too long for many ships if I did this. The longest is just short of three sides of A4 in a txt file. The modest amount of technical detail provided was agreed at the outset and I have more or less stuck to this (with the addition of also giving the secondary armament).

- Having said that, radar perhaps is worthy of inclusion - and Patrice has previously mentioned range. Given the amount to be done I will not make this a priority - but will look to expand certain features in the opening paragraphs (in selected cases) and if possible, add range to the technical detail at the start.

Thanks for the feedback

Post #: 1215
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/24/2009 11:27:11 PM   
warspite1

Okay, here`s my first crack at a Soviet ASW.

[4499 ASW Escort - by Robert Jenkins]
.B Name: Surovyi
.B Top Speed: 36 knots
.B Main armament: 4 x 5.1-inch (130mm), 2 x 3-inch (76.2mm) guns
.B Displacement (full load): 2,404 tons
.B Thickest armour: Not Applicable
.P These counters do not represent an individual ship or a specific group of
ships. Instead they represent a variable number of flotilla leaders, destroyers
and other escort vessels that provided anti-submarine warfare (ASW) protection to
convoys. In addiiton, these ships often provided anti-aircraft (AA) capability to
a greater or lesser extent too.
.P Naval warfare in the Baltic Sea was limited - certainly from 1941-1943, due to
the large losses suffered by the Soviet Baltic Fleet in the early months of
Barbarossa; the German invasion of the Soviet Union in June 1941. Many of the few
operations that were carried out, were evacuation or naval gunfire support
missions that provided assistance to the retreating Red Army. The Baltic Fleet
was saved from complete annihilation only by the failure of the German Army to
starve Leningrad into submission.
.P This counter looks at one of the Soviet destroyer classes and looks at the
calamitous evacuation of Tallinn, Estonia at the end of August 1941.
.P The nineteen-strong Storozhevoi-class destroyers were built for the Soviet
Navy from 1938. They were improved versions of the Gnevnyi-class, with the same
armament packed onto a stronger hull. These ships were more powerful and were
more seaworthy than their predecessors.
.P Two flotillas were provided to the Baltic Fleet and one to the Black Sea
Fleet. Half of those completed were lost during the Second World War.
.P When the Germans launched Barbarossa, Army Group North was tasked with
capturing the Baltic states as part of its march north and east towards the
Soviet Union`s second city; Leningrad. By late August, the German were about to
take Estonia and its capital city; Tallinn.
.P When it was realised that Tallinn could not be held, the Soviet authorities
ordered the evacuation of the city and all remaining troops and naval forces.
The order to evacuate was made on the 26th August and Vice-Admiral Tributs was
tasked with carrying out the operation, for which he called upon every available
ship. Over two hundred ships took part in the operation, made necessary by the
fact that the German Army had cut off their overland escape route.
.P However, the Germans had anticipated the Soviet move and had laid a number of
large minefields in the Gulf of Finland. In addition the Luftwaffe used their air
superiority to harass the Soviets as they loaded the ships.
.P The evacuation itself began shortly before midday on the 28th and involved
seven separate groups leaving Tallinn, with three groups of warships escorting
four convoys. The main group of escorts contained the cruiser Kirov, Tributs`
Flagship, the destroyers Gordyi, Smetlivyi and the elderly Jakov Sverdlov, an
ice-breaker and four submarines. Tributs left Tallinn at 1452hrs. Before that,
the first convoy, containing thirty-two ships, including the Storozhevoi-class
destroyers, Surovyi and Svirepyi, under the command of Captain Bogdanov had left
at 1118hrs. The second convoy, commanded by Captain Antonov, departed just over
two hours later. This convoy contained twenty-seven ships led by the sloop
Moskva. Just before 1400hrs, the third convoy left, commanded by Captain Yanson,
again with a sloop at the head of a twenty-two strong fleet. The fourth, much
smaller convoy, left shortly afterwards, under Captain Gikhorovtsev in the patrol
boat Razvedchik.
.P The evacuation turned into a nightmare for the Soviets. Before the Soviet
ships had even reached the minefields they were attacked by the Luftwaffe, losing
three transports and an ice-breaker.
.P The Germans call this episode the Battle of the Juminda minefield; and with
good reason. The Juminda peninsular is about thirty miles east of Tallinn. The
Germans had laid a large minefield off the peninsular and into this sailed the
unsuspecting Soviet ships. During the terrible night of the 28th /29th August,
the Soviets lost five destroyers, three patrol ships, three minesweepers, three
submarines, twelve transports and four smaller vessels. Many other ships were
damaged but were able to continue.
.P Their misery did not end there however. The warships had been ordered to sail
onto Kronstadt and during the 29th, the Luftwaffe attacked and sank two more
transports and a tanker. A further three transports were so badly damaged that
they had to be beached.
.P The operation came at a high cost and it is believed that over 14,000 military
and civilian personnel and around fifty ships of all types were lost.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/24/2009 11:29:00 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1216
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/25/2009 3:10:02 PM   
warspite1

Post 2/3 - a Soviet Amphibious Counter

[4501 Amphibious - by Robert Jenkins]
.P World in Flames uses two main types of naval transport counter: Transport
(TRS) and Amphibious (AMPH). The use of these counters depends to an extent on
what optional rules are being used. However, as a general rule, TRS represent
the types of ship that were used to transport men and material from one friendly
port to another, while AMPH represent the specialised shipping that could land
men and material on a hostile shore.
.P In the Second World War the Soviet Navy had no specialised amphibious landing
vessels; and certainly nothing like those developed by the Americans and British.
Remarkably however, this did not stop them from undertaking numerous amphibious
operations against the Axis invaders, and for these, as resourceful as ever, they
employed whatever craft were available.
.P One of the first such amphibious landings was carried out on the 22nd
September 1941 near the besieged port of Odessa on the Black Sea. The city had
been under siege since the 8th August and the Soviets sought to ease the pressure
on the defenders by landing behind the Romanian 13th and 15th Infantry Divisions.
.P The men designated for the landing were from the 3rd Naval Rifle Regiment. The
plan called for two Soviet divisions in Odessa to attack the Romanians, and so
assist the attack on the Romanian artillery batteries by the 3rd Naval Rifle
Regiment. These guns were giving the defenders in Odessa much trouble.
.P The cruisers Kraznyi Krym and Kraznyi Kavkaz were used to transport the three
battalions of naval troops which were embarked at Sevastopol. The cruisers were
escorted by three destroyers and sailed for a rendezvous with the the landing
barges that had come from Odessa and that would take the troops from the cruisers
to their landing area.
.P The landing took place without incident near the town of Grigorevka, east of
Odessa in the early hours of the morning of the 22nd September. Almost two
thousand troops were disembarked from their landing barges. The naval forces were
on hand to bombard the Romanian positions in support of the attack, which were
completely successful in neutralising the Romanian gun batteries at Fontanka and
Dofinovka.
.P The attack, whilst limited in its aims, was a fine example of the courage and
resourcefulness of the Soviet armed forces. The attack had little time for
planning, yet required a high degree of co-ordination, particularly between the
naval and army commanders.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1217
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/25/2009 3:10:57 PM   
warspite1

Post 3/3 a Soviet transport counter

[4506 Transport - by Robert Jenkins]
.P World in Flames uses two main types of naval transport counter: Transport
(TRS) and Amphibious (AMPH). The use of these counters depends to an extent on
what optional rules are being used. However, as a general rule, TRS represent
the types of ship that were used to transport men and material from one friendly
port to another, while AMPH represent the specialised shipping that could land
men and material on a hostile shore.
.P TRS not only include troop ships but also other vessels that kept the troops
fighting overseas supplied. These vessels include tankers, munitions ships and
other cargo carrying vessels.
.P In World War II, ships were requisitioned by the Soviet authorities for use in
a variety of ways, from troop transports to hospital ships. These write-ups
outline a few of the these vessels that were so vital to ensuring a successful
outcome to the Second World War.
.P Researching the transport vessels of the Soviet Union has not been easy and as
a result there are no technical or historical details available for the merchant
ships featured in this write-up. However, this story is told to give an example
of the operations carried out by Soviet merchant seamen, pressed into service
with the military during the Second World War.
.P Following the attack on the Soviet Union in June 1941, the advance of Army
Group South was delayed due to the stubborn resistance of the Red Army around the
Black Sea port of Odessa.
.P Taking the port was initially the responsibility of the Romanian 4th Army,
although as the defenders resistance turned from stubborn to outright heroic, the
German 11th Army were brought in to try and break the defenders. Even so, the
siege of the city lasted from the 8th August until the 16th October 1941, and
even when it did come to an end, the Soviet Navy had been able to evacuate many
thousands of troops that were able to bolster defences elsewhere rather than fall
into German hands.
.P During the siege, the Soviet Baltic Fleet were used to provide naval gunfire
support to the defenders and to bring in reinforcements. One such reinforcement
operation took place between the 16th and 21st September when the cruisers
Kraznyi Krym, Comintern and Chervona Ukraina and seven destroyers were used to
escort transports, including the Abkhaziya, Dnepr and Gruziya to Odessa. This
operation involved bringing troops of the 157th Rifle Division to Odessa which
were badly needed to replace earlier losses.
.P However, despite these monumental efforts in the face of the Luftwaffe, the
Soviets hold on Odessa was weakened to the point where evacuation was the most
sensible course of action. The evacuation began on the 3rd October, when the
157th Rifle Division was returned to Sevastopol. This first part of the pull-out
plan involved transports leaving Odessa over a three day period, escorted by the
Kraznyi Krym, Chervona Ukraina, Kraznyi Kavkaz and five destroyers.
.P On the 8th and 9th October, further transports left the port escorted by the
Comintern and escorting destroyers. The main evacuation operation then took place
on the 15th/16th October. In stark contrast to the evacuation of Tallinn (see ASW
Counter 4499) the operation went very smoothly as the Luftwaffe were very slow to
react. Chervona Ukraina, Kraznyi Kavkaz, four destroyers and a number of smaller
craft were used to escort the transports. Only one merchant vessel, Bolshevik,
was sunk. It had been a Herculean effort that succeeded in evacuating around
40,000 troops from Odessa.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1218
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/26/2009 8:18:48 PM   
warspite1

And here it is, the one you`ve all been waiting for - yes folks it`s the Belgian Navy

[4945 Artevelde - by Robert Jenkins]
.B Engine(s) output: 21,700 hp
.B Top speed: 28.5 knots
.B Main armament: 4 x 4.1-inch (105mm). 2 x 40mm guns
.B Displacement (full load): 2,270 tons
.B Thickest Armour: Not applicable
.P This is strictly speaking a World In Flames "what if" counter, as the
Belgian Navy had actually been disbanded in 1927. The ships that remained in the
civilian manned coastal defence force were insufficient to make up a World In
Flames counter.
.P At the outbreak of the Second World War, the Belgians had the grand total of
one ex-Royal Navy sloop, named Zinnia and two torpedo boats, named Wielingen and
West Diep. As said, these three vessels were manned by civilians and acted as a
coastal defence force.
.P The name on this counter, Artevelde, refers to a ship that was still
incomplete at the time of the Belgian surrender in May 1940. She was intended to
replace the ageing Zinnia and would have acted as a fishery protection vessel
that doubled as the Royal Yacht! Instead, Artevelde was completed by the Germans to
a different specification and renamed Lorelei; she was to survive the war.
.P When war loomed, a naval corps was built up and this small group took part in
the evacuation of Dunkirk and for a short time until the French surrender,
took part in operations with the French Navy.
.P A handful of Belgians bravely made the journey to the UK and while some Belgians
served within the Royal Navy, the majority became part of the Belgian Section of the
Royal Navy, established in September 1940. This force was provided with two corvettes,
Buttercup and Godetia, a squadron of minesweepers, and three patrol boats, named
Phrontis, Electra and Kernot.
.P The two corvettes were deployed in the Battle of the Atlantic and in June 1944 took
part in Operation Neptune; the naval component of the D-Day landings.
.P After the liberation of Belgium the minsweeping squadron was sent to Belgium to
clear coastal waters of enemy mines.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1219
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/27/2009 1:41:39 AM   
Neilster

quote:

...despite these monumental efforts in the face of the Luftwaffe, the
Soviets hold on Odessa was weakened...

It should be "the Soviet's hold on Odessa" or "the Soviet hold on Odessa"

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1220
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/27/2009 2:51:32 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

quote:

Cheers, Neilster

or "the Soviets' hold"

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 1221
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/27/2009 3:56:29 AM   
Blackhorse

quote:

P During the siege, the Soviet Baltic Fleet were used to provide naval gunfire
support to the defenders and to bring in reinforcements.

Black Sea fleet, perhaps?

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 1222
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/27/2009 5:27:40 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackhorse

quote:

Welcome to the forum. And you are correct, of course.

Steve

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 1223
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/27/2009 6:42:13 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Cheers, Neilster

Warspite1

Thank-you amendment made

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 1224
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/27/2009 6:46:34 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

No perhaps about it! - I was flitting between Baltic and Black Sea all day and so....

Amendment made thank-you

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 1225
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/27/2009 6:48:58 AM   
warspite1

quote:

As you all know, the write-ups are “chrome” that have been added, to give the counters we push around the board (or more accurately now, drag and drop across the computer screen) added historical flavour and value; for those of us who are interested in that sort of thing.

The write-ups in no way speed up or slow down the MWIF release date, however it would be nice to get these as complete as possible come the game`s release.

To that end I need some serious help! There are some counters that are important in the context of WWII history and so would be nice to have written up. The problem is the time taken for research and planning the counters as much as the actual write ups.

There are two distinct problems:

Submarines

As much as I love the naval aspect, submarine warfare has never been a favourite of mine and as a result, I know next to nothing. This means I have to do a ton of reading to plan out the counters before I can even begin the write-ups. All the German, French, Italian and US subs are yet to be started.

Required

Would anybody be interested in a) doing some research and planning what each counter would be used for (i.e. split by class, variant or whatever), b) what sub(s) would be written about in each counter.

In order of priority I would say Germans followed by US, Italian then French. The Japanese and all other navies except the CW need to be started, or the small number that have been done, needs reviewing.

For example, see CW counter below. There were enough counters to do one or more examples of all the main classes of RN sub. Each write up contains a brief history of the RN subs, the particular class and then the boat itself.

[4742 Submarine - by Robert Jenkins]
.B Engine(s) output: 800 hp (Surfaced) 760 hp (Submerged)
.B Top Speed: 12.75 knots (Surfaced), 9 knots (Submerged)
.B Main armament: 4 x 21-inch torpedo tubes and 1 x 12-pdr gun
.B Displacement (Fully Submerged): 740 tons
.B Diving Depth: 300 ft
.P These World In Flames counters represent a number of submarines rather
than any specific individual submarine. The dates printed on the back of the
counters do not tie up in any meaningful way with build dates for the various
classes of Royal Navy (RN) submarine class and therefore the counter date in
most cases should be ignored. These Commonwealth submarine write-ups contain the
usual technical data, followed by a brief history of one or more submarines from
each of the main classes that saw action during the Second World War.
.P The British initially tried to get the submarine outlawed during the inter-
war years. When this policy failed, Britain tried through treaty to limit the
number of submarines that would be available to any potential enemy. When Hitler
ordered the expansion of the Kriegsmarine in the mid-thirties, U-boat building
was allowed at up to 100% of the RN submarine tonnage (although in theory, this
meant tonnage being taken from surface ship allowances). At the start of the
Second World War, the RN had fifty-nine submarines, of which all but twelve
could be considered modern vessels.
.P This write-up looks at the U-class submarines. This class of submarine was
designed originally as an unarmed training vessel, with the first group of three
boats being ordered in 1936. However, the coming of war changed these plans and
their design was altered to allow six forward mounted torpedo tubes, including
two external tubes. The external tubes were not a success however and they were
removed in later models.
.P The boats were small at 191 feet long, of a single, riveted hull design. They
featured a diesel-electric drive system, which used electric motors to turn the
propellers, relegating the diesel engines to charging of the batteries and
generating electricity for the motors; this was a first for the RN. They proved
manoeuvrable vessels that were quick to dive.
.P Some of the later boats began with the letter V as the RN found difficulty in
finding enough appropriate words beginning with the letter U!
.P The group III boats, also known as the V-class, were built to a slightly
larger design, with a length of 205 feet, and were slightly faster on the
surface. They used a welded hull and could dive an additional 100 feet. The data
above reflects these changes.
.P Although there were numerous problems with the initial design, these were
soon ironed out and this class became one of the most successful submarine
classes of the Second World War. Seventy of these submarines were built, serving
with the Free French, Dutch, Norwegian, Russian, Polish, Danish and Greek
navies.
.P
.P HMS Venturer
.P HMS Venturer was from group III or the V-class. She was completed in August
1943 and after work-up she joined the 9th Submarine Flotilla then based in
Scotland.
.P She had a number of victories to her name; she sank the German merchant ship
Thor in March 1944 off Stadlandet, Norway and the Friedrichshafen the following
month. In September, she disposed of the Norwegian vessel Vang and was then
lucky to escape from an attack by enemy shore batteries two days later whilst
trying to attack a convoy.
.P Then in November, she sank the first of two German submarines. Her first
victim was the U-771 which she engaged on the 11th November, again off the
Norwegian coast. There were no survivors from the German vessel.
.P Her second U-boat success gave Venturer a unique place in World War II
history; she is believed to be the only submarine of any nationality to have
sunk a submerged enemy submarine while submerged herself. The incident took
place in February 1945 west of Bergen, when Venturer, commanded by Lt Jimmy
Landers, took on U-864, commanded by Kapitan Ralf-Reimar Wolfram.
.P The British were aware from intelligence reports that the Germans were going
to attempt to send vital materials and plans to Japan in order that she could
continue the war; Operation Caesar. U-864`s cargo included jet fighter parts
and missile guidance systems. In addition, she carried around seventy tons of
mercury.
.P The operation got off to a bad start in late 1944 as U-864 ran aground in the
Kiel canal. However, she was able to get to Bergen, where she underwent repairs.
It was only at the start of February 1945 that she was able to sail once more.
.P Venturer was ordered to intercept her, but the German vessel had already
passed the patrol area that Venturer had been assigned. However, the bad luck
that U-864 had already encountered on its ill-fated mission continued. She was
struck by mechanical problems and so had no choice but to return for further
repair. This meant her passing back through Venturer`s patrol area. The Germans
sent an escort to meet U-864 and in order to avoid detection, Landers decided to
turn off his sonar system, and use his more basic hydrophone equipment. This
decision would make the search for the German U-boat more difficult but would
also make detection by the German escorts more difficult.
.P On the 9th February, Venturer made contact, and after confirming sight of
the U-boat`s periscope through his own periscope, Landers decided to follow the
U-boat and attack when she surfaced. Unfortunately for Landers, Wolfram soon
realised he was being followed and tried to shake off the pursuing RN vessel.
.P For Landers it was decision time. With each minute, U-864 would get closer to
the safety of Bergen and the escorts waiting to accompany it to the Norwegian
port. He decided to strike, even though U-864 was still submerged. The German
vessel was zig-zagging and so Landers had to decide how best to launch his four
torpedoes. With no computers to assist his calculations, he came up with a
firing solution. He ordered all four torpedoes be fired at precise times and at
various depths and courses.
.P Wolfram and the crew of U-864 heard the torpedoes and took evasive action. He
managed to avoid the first three torpedoes but not the fourth. This hit the
U-boat, causing her sinking with all 73 crew.
.P In March, Venturer sank the German merchant Sirius. After the war ended, she
was transferred to the Royal Norwegian Navy, whereupon her name was changed to
Utstein.
.P HMS Venturer/Utstein was scrapped in 1965.

Transports / Amphibious / ASW

Again few of these have been done (CW excepted) and the US in particular must have a ton of stories – especially in the Pacific. I have posted examples of CW counters for all of these unit types on this thread previously. The only critical country here is the US.

Any assistance would be extremely gratefully received – but be warned – it’s a lot of work!!

Warspite1

....I`ll take that as a no

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1226
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/27/2009 7:14:10 AM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

Cheers, Neilster

or "the Soviets' hold"

It was considered and rejected; tempting though it was...

Cheers, Neilster

Post #: 1227
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/27/2009 12:10:12 PM   
Blackhorse

quote:

quote:

quote:

Welcome? Bah! How could you have forgotten me already? I did the United States Marine Corps writeups. That's 6 entire units out of only several thousand!

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

Post #: 1228
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/27/2009 6:08:33 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Welcome? Bah! How could you have forgotten me already? I did the United States Marine Corps writeups. That's 6 entire units out of only several thousand!

Sorry about that. I should have looked up your name - I would have recognized 'Joel'. Did you change your avatar recently? [Says he, striving to find some dignity, while risking losing more.]

Steve

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 1229
RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land - 7/31/2009 6:04:54 AM   
Mike Dubost

quote:

I have begun looking at the US carriers and have started with the famous Essex carriers. Please see attached. As usual I would be greatful for feedback - particularly since I have three books given me three different numbers - 3, 4 and 5-inch -for the belt armour!

[4016 Antietam - by Robert Jenkins]

quote:

USS Antietam, named after perhaps the bloodiest of the US Civil War battles
was from the Ticonderoga group and was commissioned in January 1945. She was en-
route to the waters off Japan when the armistice was signed and so was not to
see combat during the Second World War.
.P USS Antietam was scrapped in 1974.

I have been offline for a while due to extremely high workload. I was skimming through the old posts, and this one caught my eye. As a Civil War buff, I would point out that Anteitam was the bloodiest single-day battle in any US war (to date). Other Civil War battles had higher casulties, but spread out over several days.

I hope I don't sound too much like a nitpicker. As a QA type, I think details are in my blood.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1230
Page:   <<   < prev  39 40 [41] 42 43   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land Page: <<   < prev  39 40 [41] 42 43   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI