Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Brazilian Armed Forces at WWII

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> Brazilian Armed Forces at WWII Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Brazilian Armed Forces at WWII - 5/27/2002 8:05:44 PM   
adantas

Hello mates,

well I decided to start this topic due the lack of informations about the Brazilian participation at the WWII, many of the members probably never heared that Brazil was the only country at South America to sent troops to fight at Italy during the war..perhaps this is the reason why Brazil is the only country that's not represented at this fantasic game.
Here are two links for those with curiosity to know a little about this.

The first one is about the 1st Brazilian Fighter Squadron with an english version,

http://www.sentapua.com.br/Ing/indexIng.html

The second one is about the Brazilian Army but unfortunatly is only in Portuguese..I hope they can develop an english version soon :)

http://www.febrasileira.cjb.net/

Bellow is a United States presidential citation to the 1st Brazilian Fighter Squadron after the campaing in Italy. This citation was only received by three foreign squadrons, two of them belonged to the Australian Air Force (RAAF) and the other from Brazilian Air Force (FAB). :D

"THE PRESIDENTIAL UNIT CITATION (AIR FORCE) FOR EXTRAORDINARY HEROISM TO 1ST BRASILIAN FIGHTER SQUADRON .

The 1st Brazilian Fighter Squadron, Brazilian Armed Forces, distinguished itself by extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations against na enemy of the United States in the Mediterranean Theatre of Operations on 22 April 1945. By heroic services involving utmost gallantry and a display of consummate skill in armed reconnaissance and fighter-bomber attacks, and by demonstrating superb tactical coordination with the Fifth Army, they contributed directly to the Allied crossing of the Po River. They destroyed vast quantities of enemy materiel and vehicles thus preventing the enemy from escaping to safety behind prepared defenses. By discovering a skillfully concealed and heavily defended enemy motor pool near Nantova, Italy, they destroyed at least 45 vehicles and doubtlessly immobilized many more. By harassing enemy pontoon barges on the Po, they helper to thwart their retreat, leaving many elements of Germans with no means of escape. By their vigilant air cover of road nets and prepared battle positions, they destroyed many other vehicles, including armored field pieces, and harassed trench positions. The casualties that they suffered reduced their pilot strength to about one half that of the United States Army Air Force squadrons operating in the same area, but they flew an equal number of sorties, performing tirelessly and beyond the normal call of duty. The maintenance of their aircraft was highly efficient. They met serious weather difficulties with excellent planning and navigation. By the most capable employment of the camera, they photographed the results of their attacks and contributed to the pictorial record of a historical campaign. Eleven missions of 44 sorties were flown destroying nine motor transports and damaging 17. Additionally, they destroyed the facilities of a motor pool, immobilized 35 horse vehicles, damaged a road bridge and a pontoon bridge, destroyed 14 and damaged three enemy-occupied buildings, and attacked four military positions and inflicted much other damage. The professionalism, dedication to duty, and extraordinary heroism demonstrated by the members of the 1st Brazilian Figther Squadron are in keeping with the finest traditions of the military service and reflect the highest credit upon themselves and the Armed Forces of Brazil. "

Adantas

-------------------
Senta à Pua!!!
Post #: 1
- 5/27/2002 8:32:02 PM   
Mojo

Thank you Adantas. I didn't know this.

If something's not working you might want to tunk it a dite.
Mojo's Mom

(in reply to adantas)
Post #: 2
- 5/27/2002 11:38:53 PM   
WhiteRook

Hello Adantas,

For once I am happy to say that "yes" I was aware of the fact
that a county in S.A. was contributing to fighting the Nazi's as
opposed to the others that quietly aided them! :)

Here is to seconding that the portuguese web page will be in
english soon! I am a "typical" American - as in I only speak
English! :D

Rook

(in reply to adantas)
Post #: 3
- 5/27/2002 11:42:53 PM   
adantas

well Mojo, I'm glad to see that now you know that :D

White Rook: Thanks for your reply! I hope the same!

Alessandro

-------------------
Senta à Pua!!!

(in reply to adantas)
Post #: 4
- 5/28/2002 6:18:29 AM   
DoubleDeuce

Maybe this will help those of you like me who are English speaking only. There is a web site that does pretty good online translations. Go to [URL=http://www.freetranslation.com/web.htm]Free Web Page Translations[/URL]
and paste in the exact url of the web page you want to have translated. The Brazillian pages are nested in frames but if you right-click to get the page properties you'll get the exact url. Paste that address (less the [url]http://[/url]) into the web translator and then select Portugese to English or whatever language you prefer that is available and click the translate button. Its crude but effective. I use it all the time on some French wargaming sites.

(in reply to adantas)
Post #: 5
- 5/28/2002 6:12:56 PM   
Warrior

Very interesting.

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to adantas)
Post #: 6
- 5/31/2002 1:47:04 AM   
Larry Holt

My understanding is that when the Brazilian fighters came back home after the war, they saw themselves as war heros and wanted recognization. Unfortunately for them the president and his party saw them as an organized, potential source of opposition and did their best to remove their actions from the public's eye and memory.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to adantas)
Post #: 7
- 6/1/2002 9:00:52 PM   
adantas

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Larry Holt
[B]My understanding is that when the Brazilian fighters came back home after the war, they saw themselves as war heros and wanted recognization. Unfortunately for them the president and his party saw them as an organized, potential source of opposition and did their best to remove their actions from the public's eye and memory. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey Larry,

Yes, you are right about this!!
The Brazilian officers and soldiers who fought against the axis during the war when returned to Brazil started a moviment for Democracy in Brazil who was ruled by the time by a Dictator called Getulio Vargas. this movement ended in 1950 with free elections and the fall of the Dictator.

Adantas

------------------
Senta à Pua!!!

(in reply to adantas)
Post #: 8
- 6/1/2002 9:52:06 PM   
laatokka

Adantas, you will love these.

---------------------
laatokka aka illo

(in reply to adantas)
Post #: 9
- 6/1/2002 10:04:15 PM   
adantas

[QUOTE]Originally posted by laatokka
[B]Adantas, you will love these.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry Laatokka, but I was unable to see the pics..the link gave a message that I must acess it by AAW Message Board :(

------------------
Senta à Pua!!!

(in reply to adantas)
Post #: 10
- 6/4/2002 12:10:07 PM   
Wild Bill

Que vivan los caudillos brasilenos!

El Salvaje
(Wild Bill)

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to adantas)
Post #: 11
- 6/4/2002 9:43:24 PM   
laatokka

[QUOTE]Originally posted by adantas [B] Sorry Laatokka, but I was unable to see the pics..the link gave a message that I must acess it by AAW Message Board :( ------------------ Senta à Pua!!! [/B][/QUOTE] Sorry, i didn't know that links were prohibited. Go here for topic with all great pictures. http://pub47.ezboard.com/fallboutwarfarefrm1.showMessage?topicID=1093.topic

---------------------
laatokka aka illo

(in reply to adantas)
Post #: 12
- 6/5/2002 9:27:36 PM   
adantas

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wild Bill
[B]Que vivan los caudillos brasilenos!

El Salvaje
(Wild Bill) [/B][/QUOTE]

Muchas Gracias mein Oberst!! :D

Adantas

------------------
Senta à Pua!!!

(in reply to adantas)
Post #: 13
- 6/5/2002 9:31:31 PM   
adantas

[QUOTE]Originally posted by laatokka
[B]

Sorry, i didn't know that links were prohibited.
Go here for topic with all great pictures.

http://pub47.ezboard.com/fallboutwarfarefrm1.showMessage?topicID=1093.topic [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey mate!

Thanks a lot!! great pics there for sure!! :D

Adantas

------------------
Senta à Pua!!!

(in reply to adantas)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> Brazilian Armed Forces at WWII Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI