Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 7/29/2009 5:17:09 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: moonraker

Upgradable Roads. Is there any way to have upgradable roads in AE ?. The reason I ask is because the road to the Arakan (Northern Burma) from Bengal was upgraded prior to the 2nd battle there in 1944. Would this be a feature that could be incorporated later maybe ?

The easiest way is to switch the pwhex file to reflect the changes in communications.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to moonraker65)
Post #: 721
RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues - 7/29/2009 8:16:04 PM   
tbridges

As an Allied noob I am in search of a thread that discusses the best ways to maximize the flow of supplies and fuel to the US West Coast bases for further distribution to the war zone. I have searched and found several posts regarding the Allied supply situation but nothing I can really get my teeth into.

Is there a thread on how the Allied supply model functions? These forums are already so extensive its proving difficult to find things without starting a new thread that covers issues that have already been thoroughly analyzed.

Thanks for your help.

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 722
RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues - 7/29/2009 8:56:55 PM   
Q-Ball

In Campaign game, the Mavis Transport, the H6K2-L, starts deployed to two units in the Marshalls just like WITP, but this plane is in R&D and cannot be produced until 4/42. Thus, the 9 that start on the map are all you get until 4/42.

Was this intentional?

(in reply to tbridges)
Post #: 723
RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues - 7/29/2009 9:00:30 PM   
BPRE

Here'a really, really minor thing with the map.

It's hardly even a map fault since it actually in the top right corner where the Legend is located.

If you hit the R key to display the road network the roads will be displayed in the corresponding legend hexes but also in the railway (railroad trail I presume) legend hexes. The same railroad trail sign is also shown beside the Major river legend.

If you hit the Y key a Minor railroad sign is shown in the hex beside the Major river legend.

In case you update the map maybe you could take a look at this too.

Regards
BPRE

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 724
RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues - 7/29/2009 9:08:41 PM   
timtom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

In Campaign game, the Mavis Transport, the H6K2-L, starts deployed to two units in the Marshalls just like WITP, but this plane is in R&D and cannot be produced until 4/42. Thus, the 9 that start on the map are all you get until 4/42.

Was this intentional?

Not a single -L was produced 9/41-3/42 both months inclusive. However having it available from 12/41 is an AI requirement, so don't tell AndyMac .

Where's the Any key?

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 725
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 7/29/2009 11:44:53 PM   
pompack

Guadalcanal Scenario Map OOB/Initialization error:

Apparently the hexsides between PM and the Kokoda trail (99,130) are not inialized for Allied ownership. Japanese units can walk right past the defending Aussie inf on the Trail and right into PM. Thw W key shows it as green (allied) but I suspect that it is only the PM side; from the behaviour the Trail side is neutral. Note that once the Japanese units enter PM, the hexside shows red to indicate Japanese ownership

EDIT: A more detailed reading of the manual leads me to believe that it is strickly an initializaion problem since the scenario starts with moth Allied and Jaanese units in the hex. If it had started with only the Allied unit, the hexside ownership would have been set on the first turn (sole ownership of the hex). Since the scenario begins contested, it looks like the ZOC for that hex does not lock either side.

< Message edited by pompack -- 7/29/2009 11:49:29 PM >

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 726
Manchukuo Garrison - 7/30/2009 12:55:10 AM   
CaptDave

This looks like the most correct thread in which to post this.

As we all know, control zones are no longer a feature in the game. The manual, though, still says that any unit in the Northwest Control Zone can be used to satisfy the Manchukuo garrison requirement. Is it safe to assume (yeah, yeah, I know) that now the garrison will be determined by units physically within Manchukuo as shown on the map? Or are there some stealth boundaries we should know about?

Post #: 727
RE: Manchukuo Garrison - 7/30/2009 1:10:39 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptDave

This looks like the most correct thread in which to post this.

As we all know, control zones are no longer a feature in the game. The manual, though, still says that any unit in the Northwest Control Zone can be used to satisfy the Manchukuo garrison requirement. Is it safe to assume (yeah, yeah, I know) that now the garrison will be determined by units physically within Manchukuo as shown on the map? Or are there some stealth boundaries we should know about?

You are correct. Units need to stay in Manchukuo. I THINK Korea count as well, but I will have to check.

Andrew

(in reply to CaptDave)
Post #: 728
RE: Manchukuo Garrison - 7/30/2009 1:35:22 AM   
NightFlyer

If you check the units in Korea, they say they have the R letter meaning restricted, bummer

However, you can still move stuff like planes out of restricted areas. Someone (who's name will not be mentioned) found a, ahem, way to move stuff out. Haven't tried it myself yet, and some Matrix guy says it's an "exploit" which will be "fixed". You need make sure the garrison remains high enough to not trigger the Soviets rolling over you in Manchuria. Anyways, if you want to move some planes around here are his instructions:

There is actually a way to do it. Its involved, but it DOES work v the AI (a player might consider it "gamey". I dont agree, but others might).

You can air transfer a restricted unit to a base that is the same HQ as the one you want to transfer. The problem is changing the bases to the same HQ. Most bases can only change their controlling HQ to one that has the same HQ of a ground unit in its hex, so the proceedure would go something like this:

1) Move unrestricted ground "A" unit into base: "X".
2) Change HQ of "A" to restricted.
3) Change HQ of "X" to restricted.
4) Fly restricted units to "X"
5) Change HQ of "A" to an unrestricted one
6) goto 1

Rinse and repeat as often as necessary to get the units out. This trick will work to move US west coast units to the Aleutians, and the restricted Jap units in Manchuria and Japan to other areas.

"It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed.." -U.S. Air Force Manual

Post #: 729
RE: Manchukuo Garrison - 7/30/2009 2:25:08 AM   
Mynok

Is it really worth it to get the air crap in Manchukuo out? It's just a bunch of Lily, Nates, and a few transports.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to NightFlyer)
Post #: 730
RE: Manchukuo Garrison - 7/30/2009 2:56:21 AM   
jwilkerson

Lily's Nates and Transports - oh my - the backbone of the airfarce!

(unfortunately I'm actually serious - you need everyone of those suquers you can get!!!)

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 731
Naval Support - 7/30/2009 3:13:36 AM   
ny59giants

With the increased importance of Naval Support in a base to facilitate loading and unloading of troops/cargo, is there a reason why it isn't displayed in the base information window?? We have regular and aviation support readily available and this would be a nice addition to see rather than go through my LCUs to find it.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 732
RE: Naval Support - 7/30/2009 4:34:30 AM   
treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

With the increased importance of Naval Support in a base to facilitate loading and unloading of troops/cargo, is there a reason why it isn't displayed in the base information window?? We have regular and aviation support readily available and this would be a nice addition to see rather than go through my LCUs to find it.

I believe it is in the top center of the base information screen...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by treespider -- 7/30/2009 4:37:08 AM >

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 733
Omission from the manual - 7/30/2009 5:59:16 AM   
fbs

I didn't find in the manual where it says that offmap bases receive fuel and supplies; the original WITP manual had that written in some section, so an addenda may be interesting.

Also, Port Stanley is the only offmap base that doesn't have automatic fuel and supplies, so it has to be convoyed from the USA -- is that on purpose?

Cheers
fbs

< Message edited by fbs -- 7/30/2009 6:08:59 AM >

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 734
RE: Omission from the manual - 7/30/2009 7:41:30 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: fbs

I didn't find in the manual where it says that offmap bases receive fuel and supplies; the original WITP manual had that written in some section, so an addenda may be interesting.

It's there, but I admit it is not that easy to find. Please see the map team designers notes.

quote:

Also, Port Stanley is the only offmap base that doesn't have automatic fuel and supplies, so it has to be convoyed from the USA -- is that on purpose?

Cheers
fbs

Yes that is on purpose. Port Stanley is remote and undeveloped (and not that useful). If you really, really want to sent stuff there, you will have to supply it yourself.

Andrew

(in reply to fbs)
Post #: 735
RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues - 7/30/2009 12:18:59 PM   
mg62

quote:

As an Allied noob I am in search of a thread that discusses the best ways to maximize the flow of supplies and fuel to the US West Coast bases for further distribution to the war zone. I have searched and found several posts regarding the Allied supply situation but nothing I can really get my teeth into.

Is there a thread on how the Allied supply model functions? These forums are already so extensive its proving difficult to find things without starting a new thread that covers issues that have already been thoroughly analyzed.

I have a similar question regarding supplies in East US. What is the best way to draw these to the west coast cities?

Do I convoy them or can I draw supplies to the west coast cities by increasing the base supply demand? If I increase SF, SD, LA SEA supply demand will this draw out of the East Coast or will they fight each other for supply?

(in reply to tbridges)
Post #: 736
RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues - 7/30/2009 12:47:45 PM   
ny59giants

quote:

I believe it is in the top center of the base information screen...

Duh!!

(in reply to mg62)
Post #: 737
RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues - 7/30/2009 1:09:32 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: mg62
I have a similar question regarding supplies in East US. What is the best way to draw these to the west coast cities?

Do I convoy them or can I draw supplies to the west coast cities by increasing the base supply demand? If I increase SF, SD, LA SEA supply demand will this draw out of the East Coast or will they fight each other for supply?

Supply demand should be enough. The supply should not come from other bases unless they have an excess.

Andrew

(in reply to mg62)
Post #: 738
RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues - 7/30/2009 1:10:48 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: BPRE

Here'a really, really minor thing with the map.

It's hardly even a map fault since it actually in the top right corner where the Legend is located.

If you hit the R key to display the road network the roads will be displayed in the corresponding legend hexes but also in the railway (railroad trail I presume) legend hexes. The same railroad trail sign is also shown beside the Major river legend.

If you hit the Y key a Minor railroad sign is shown in the hex beside the Major river legend.

In case you update the map maybe you could take a look at this too.

Regards
BPRE

Thanks. I'll take a look when I can.

Andrew

(in reply to BPRE)
Post #: 739
RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues - 7/30/2009 5:45:38 PM   
Shark7

Don't know if its a typo, but I did notice that Christmas Island IO (the one near Java) does not have any resource, while Christmas Island (the US base) does. I know Christmas Island IO had phosphate production (in fact the Jaqpanese loaded one freighter with phosphates from this base which was quickly sunk by an Allied sub). Is it possible these got reversed?

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Post #: 740
RE: Manchukuo Garrison - 7/30/2009 6:08:23 PM   
romanovich

Moved to general thread.

< Message edited by romanovich -- 7/31/2009 1:02:12 AM >

Post #: 741
RE: Manchukuo Garrison - 7/30/2009 6:19:50 PM   
romanovich

You can move Korea units into Manchuko (by ground), and you can move Manchuko units into China (by ground). Which is historically correct - the Kwangtung Army was deployed frequently in the Chinese theater to aid the war effort there. "Kwantung" means "east of Shanhaiguan," a guarded pass, east of which begins Manchuko. In the game, Shanhaiguan is hex (99,42). In the game, the (R) means you can't move those units by air or sea. So you can't divert Kwangtung Army units to the South Pacific - not unless you spend political capital...

< Message edited by romanovich -- 7/31/2009 1:03:07 AM >

(in reply to NightFlyer)
Post #: 742
RE: Manchukuo Garrison - 7/30/2009 10:18:15 PM   
pad152

Campaign 2

The US is not building any medium bombers (A20, B25, B26) until march of 43? Nothing in the pools, no replacement rates, that don't seem right.

(in reply to romanovich)
Post #: 743
RE: Manchukuo Garrison - 7/31/2009 8:16:50 PM   
Captain Cruft

Base 338, Chinchow, hex 101,41

This is a size 1 port but it's inland ... You can't send ships there.

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 744
RE: Manchukuo Garrison - 8/1/2009 2:44:06 AM   
John Lansford

ISTR before AE was released there were discussions about how to best maximize Australian industrial production.  The consensus was to send fuel, not oil, to the Australian east coast ports.  My question is, what about India?  Getting fuel to those ports is even more difficult than it is for Australia.  Or are the inland bases producing enough oil to generate sufficient fuel for the industrial sites?

(in reply to Captain Cruft)
Post #: 745
Allied Oil at start - 8/1/2009 4:18:02 AM   
ny59giants

I'm going through all my bases as the Allies vs Japan AI in scen 1 using 2 day turns. I'm finally over to Australia. Is there a reason why there isn't any oil?? None, zilch, nada!!

Shouldn't there be "x" number of days worth there?? I would think 15 days to 1 month worth would be enough.

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 746
RE: Allied Oil at start - 8/1/2009 5:02:26 AM   
wdolson

The key to running industry now is fuel, not oil.  The only thing that needs oil is refineries and Australia doesn't have much capacity.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 747
Country Econmey - 8/1/2009 6:16:55 AM   
pad152

Ok, do I tell how much supply/fuel is created or used in all of India?

There needs to be Industry/Resource info screen for each country. More info is needed by the player to know what each country is producing and which ones need something (oil/fuel/etc.).

Example:

Country____India
Item______Produced/Used/Net_____Total Reserves
Resource___12000/9000/+3000_____8000
Oil________1000/3000/(-2000)_____(1000) - reserves dropping!
Fuel_______28000/19000/+11000___22000
Supplies____18000/12000/+6000___17000

It's impossible to get this info from the game!

What happened to all those third party apps?

< Message edited by pad152 -- 8/1/2009 6:21:39 AM >

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 748
RE: Country Econmey - 8/1/2009 6:29:41 AM   
bilbow

Check Woos' WITPStaff, in your tools folder. Does exactly that.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile- hoping it will eat him last
- Winston Churchill

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 749
RE: Country Econmey - 8/1/2009 6:53:03 AM   
pad152

quote:

ORIGINAL: bilbow

Check Woos' WITPStaff, in your tools folder. Does exactly that.

Doesn't seem to work!

(in reply to bilbow)
Post #: 750
Page:   <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI