Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Cannibalism On Truk?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Cannibalism On Truk? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cannibalism On Truk? - 6/5/2002 8:12:16 AM   
IceCreamSolider

Had a customer come in the store today and tell me that the Japanese soliders stranded at Truk (after the Allies bypassed it in their liberation of the area) had to turn to cannibalism to survive. He even said they recently had a trial in Japan concerning this episode - and found some parties guilty. Anybody know if there is any truth to this?

I think I'm going to look on the Net for some more info.

later,
ics
Post #: 1
Re: Cannibalism On Truk? - 6/6/2002 9:22:16 AM   
tohoku

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IceCreamSolider
Had a customer come in the store today and tell me that the Japanese soliders stranded at Truk (after the Allies bypassed it in their liberation of the area) had to turn to cannibalism to survive. He even said they recently had a trial in Japan concerning this episode - and found some parties guilty. Anybody know if there is any truth to this?

[/QUOTE]

Nothing in the papers here that I know of. Sounds unlikely at this point, too. The cannibalism thing is reasonably well documented though.

http://166.122.164.43/archive/2000/April/04-03-19.htm

http://members.fortunecity.com/dikigoros/japanwartrials.htm

Both sites have some interesting stuff on them, without being too slanted in any particular direction too much, IMO.

tohoku
YMMV

(in reply to IceCreamSolider)
Post #: 2
- 6/6/2002 9:27:43 AM   
dgaad

As the above links probably already point out, there were many examples of cannibalism among cut off or starving Japanese troops. They had no Judeo-Christian traditions to get in the way of this extemporaneous solution to starvation.

Beyond that, a Japanese person named Tanaka did a study of Japanese atrocities during the war. He found that the examples of cannibalism were legion. The Japanese would eat another Japanese if there was nothing else available, they would eat natives if they were available, there were even examples of prisoners of war being "harvested" as food, and done in a way with limbs hacked off so the prisoner would stay alive because the meat spoiled so quickly in the climate.

The Japanese soldier of WW2 had little concept of the individual as a person with inalienable rights or a soul, especially if they weren't Japanese.

Last time I checked, the forums were messed up. ;)

Post #: 3
- 6/6/2002 10:39:45 AM   
Kindaas

I spent 2 weeks in Truk last year diving the wrecks and touring the islands. I heard quite a bit about the harsh treatment of the Chuukese by the Japanese, and several times it was mentioned that the Japanese would come around regularly and take all the food from the natives, but I never heard cannibalism mentioned. The people I met there, and Palau really do not like the Japanese. To this day, if they find a Japanese skull on the wrecks, they will take it and throw it out into the sea. They believe that the person will be trapped in some kind of limbo if you seperate the skull from the body.
Amazing place

Post #: 4
- 6/6/2002 10:48:39 AM   
dgaad

Here is a link which works :

[URL=http://www.oberlin.edu/~mtowey/atrocities.html]Japanese Atrocities During WW2[/URL]

Post #: 5
my reading - 6/6/2002 11:04:48 PM   
brisd

I have heard of reports of cannibalism at some of the jungle bastions of the South Pacific but it appears to have been very limited. I did read that most of the by-passed troops such at Rabual or Truk turned their swords into plowshares and took up farming and fishing just to survive. And of course any native peoples would be looted for their food.

"I propose to fight it out on this line if it takes all summer."-Note sent with Congressman Washburne from Spotsylvania, May 11, 1864, to General Halleck. - General Ulysses S. Grant

Post #: 6
- 6/7/2002 8:53:43 AM   
tohoku

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dgaad
As the above links probably already point out, there were many examples of cannibalism among cut off or starving Japanese troops.

[/QUOTE]

Many?

Several dozen, yes, but given that we are talking tens upon tens of thousands of troops it's not a large percentage. Most could get by much as they did at home - fishing, farming or hunting.

[QUOTE]
They had no Judeo-Christian traditions to get in the way of this extemporaneous solution to starvation.

[/QUOTE]

And Buddhist and Shinto traditions wouldn't have stopped them?!

[QUOTE]
The Japanese soldier of WW2 had little concept of the individual as a person with inalienable rights or a soul, especially if they weren't Japanese.

[/QUOTE]

Bollocks. Yeah, that'll do: bollocks, mate.

tohoku
YMMV

Post #: 7
strange topic - 6/7/2002 9:20:49 AM   
Ron Saueracker

What kind of store?:)

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

Post #: 8
- 6/7/2002 10:30:57 AM   
dgaad

Tohoku : while I understand your need to minimize the criminal behavior of thousands of Japanese soldiers, the words I used to describe Japanese war crimes were not mine. They were largely drawn from studies done by Japanese people who are revolted by what their troops did. You would do well to investigate the matter yourself, and find the truth for yourself. If you do, you will discover that if you count cannibalism by the number of people eaten, it wasn't a few dozen it was thousands; you will discover that Japanese troops literally kept POWs as meat, and hacked off limbs to keep the prisoner (and their meat) alive so it wouldn't spoil; and many other example that will sicken me to repeat here.

It doesn't do a country or an individual any service to minimize what are widely known bestial acts. The act of minimization itself is to me morally corrupt. Please, check out it out yourself, with a genuine interest in the truth.

Post #: 9
- 6/7/2002 10:36:09 AM   
dgaad

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tohoku
[B]

Many?

Several dozen, yes, but given that we are talking tens upon tens of thousands of troops it's not a large percentage. Most could get by much as they did at home - fishing, farming or hunting.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Thousands of people, including women, children, and POWs, of all races, were the victims of Japanese cannibalism. The fact that they COULD have gotton by with hunting and fishing, and so forth, but instead chose this kind of activity only highlights the willful nature of the crime.

[B][QUOTE]

And Buddhist and Shinto traditions wouldn't have stopped them?!

[/B][/QUOTE]

The Buddhist or Shinto traditions obviously didn't stop them. However, it would be wrong to condem the Japanese as a people for the crimes of a minority.

The Japanese militarists perverted many traditions, including the bushido or samurai tradition. The militarists interpreted the bushido tradition as "fighting to the death" and "never surrendering" and treating anyone who did as less than human. Yet, samurai of the past often surrendered or switched sides with no loss of honor. The militarists did what they thought would suit their military needs, so they bent laudable Japanese traditions.

[B][QUOTE]

Bollocks. Yeah, that'll do: bollocks, mate.

tohoku
YMMV [/B][/QUOTE]

Not a very useful final comment.

Post #: 10
- 6/7/2002 1:01:05 PM   
tohoku

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dgaad
Tohoku : while I understand your need to minimize

[/QUOTE]

What need to minimise do I have, and how could you possibly understand or know it without knowing me? Does simply having a differing view count as "needing to minimise"?

[QUOTE]
the criminal behavior of thousands of Japanese soldiers, the words I used to describe Japanese war crimes were not mine.

[/QUOTE]

This is the bit I queried. You say thousands. You quote someone called 'Tanaka' (which is about as useful as saying, 'I read a book by a guy named Smith, and he claimed...'). Even a search on the web doesn't bring up 'thousands' as likely. *Documented* cases strech into the dozens. *Reported* takes it well into the hundreds. We're still not near the 'thousands' you mentioned. Perhaps you have some need to increase the size of the event? Should I suggest that? Have I? No, it's not I that immediately start to suggest alterior motives when queried, is it?

[QUOTE]
They were largely drawn from studies done by Japanese people who are revolted by what their troops did. You would do well to investigate the matter yourself, and find the truth for yourself.

[/QUOTE]

I'm reasonably familiar with the range of work out there, in both languages, thanks. You read extensively in both languages in order to make that charge, I assume?

[QUOTE]
If you do, you will discover that if you count cannibalism by the number of people eaten, it wasn't a few dozen it was thousands;

[/QUOTE]

We were talking about the numbers who committed the act, not those who were eaten. If you had meant that (the numbers eaten) from the start then you should have said so, not claimed that the numbers doing it were in the thousands. I apologise if I completely mis-read what you wrote, but, looking back, it does seem pretty clear that you claimed tousands had done the eating.

[QUOTE]
you will discover that Japanese troops literally kept POWs as meat, and hacked off limbs to keep the prisoner (and their meat) alive so it wouldn't spoil; and many other example that will sicken me to repeat here.

[/QUOTE]

And of the less extreme examples? No one is denying that horrible things took place. What we are discussing is how common it was and what exactly was the norm when it did occur. Emotional grandstanding does your position no good.

[QUOTE]
It doesn't do a country or an individual any service to minimize what are widely known bestial acts. The act of minimization itself is to me morally corrupt. Please, check out it out yourself, with a genuine interest in the truth.

[/QUOTE]

Thank-you for your statement about your moral beliefs.

I expect you know that appeals to the audience for what are 'widely known' hold no sway in an argument, but, given that you make such an illogical appeal, while making your moral declaration, I doubt the irony will be apparent to you.

My own moral position and motivations are rather more complex than you ascribe to me. We could discuss this more, if you wish, although I fear that you may not like what you read.

tohoku
YMMV

Post #: 11
- 6/7/2002 1:17:27 PM   
dgaad

Tohoku :

Your comments appear to minimize the atrocities committed by thousands upon thousands of Japanese soldiers during the war. You may want to quibble that one type of atrocity, cannibalism, was committed by only "dozens" of Japanese soldiers. No, I am saying if you investigate it yourself you will find the number who committed this type of atrocitiy is in the thousands. There is a very famous book by a Japanese person named Tanaka who did an in-depth study of Japanese war crimes, although the book title escapes me at the moment. If you are the kind of person who cares about these kinds of things, you will find it, if not we have little to discuss. There were many other types of atrocities committed by Japanese soldiers, of a personally brutal type, including rape, torture, medical "experiments", biological warfare against the Chinese mainland. They were committed systematically over a number of years. To say that cannibalism was committed by only "a few dozen" individuals is not only factually incorrect, but minimizes the entire issue of war crimes, and misses the point.

I am not ascribing any moral position to you other than what your comments have already made. The moralitiy of an individual is nearly always more complex than can be communicated with a few words.

Post #: 12
- 6/7/2002 1:37:50 PM   
dgaad

Tohoku :

In case you lack the resources to find this information on your own :

Hidden Horrors : Japanese War Crimes in World War II
(Transitions--Asia and Asian America)
by Yuki Tanaka
HIDDEN HORRORS reveals for the first time Japanese atrocities during World War II, including cannibalism; the slaughter and starvation of POWs; and the rape, enforced prostitution, and murder of noncombatants.
"As sobering and thought-provoking a book as one could read on the subject". - THE JAPAN TIMES.
Paperback - 296 pages (January 1998)
Westview Pr (Trd Pap); ISBN: 0813327180

The Good Man of Nanking : The Diaries of John Rabe
John Rabe, et al

Like Oskar Schindler of Schindler's List, John Rabe was an enterprising and fundamentally decent German businessman caught up in war. Head of the Nanjing branch of Siemens, the German electronics firm, he had lived and worked in China for almost 30 years. Rather than flee from the threatened city, he stayed to organize a safety zone as refuge of last resort for Chinese civilians. The Good Man of Nanking is his firsthand description of the terrible events and his ultimate success in saving perhaps a quarter of a million lives. The diary format provides a forum for the extraordinary power and immediacy of John Rabe's words, including his gallows humor, placing the reader there in Nanking as the bombs explode and the Japanese soldiers begin their massacres. Rabe's trials were not over when he returned to wartime Germany; diary entries that he wrote during the occupation of Berlin by the Soviet army form a fascinating coda to this book. --John Stevenson, Amazon.com
Paperback - 320 pages (March 14, 2000)
Vintage Books; ISBN: 0375701974

The Rape of Nanking : The Forgotten Holocaust of World War II
Iris Chang, Foreword by William C. Kirby

China has endured much hardship in its history, as Iris Chang shows in her ably researched The Rape of Nanking, a book that recounts the horrible events in that eastern Chinese city under Japanese occupation in the late 1930s. Nanking, she writes, served as a kind of laboratory in which Japanese soldiers were taught to slaughter unarmed, unresisting civilians, as they would later do throughout Asia. Likening their victims to insects and animals, the Japanese commanders orchestrated a campaign in which several hundred thousand--no one is sure just how many--Chinese soldiers and noncombatants alike were killed. Chang turns up an unlikely hero in German businessman John Rabe, a devoted member of the Nazi party who importuned Adolf Hitler to intervene and stop the slaughter, and who personally saved the lives of countless residents of Nanking. She also suggests that the Japanese government pay reparations and apologize for its army's horrific acts of 60 years ago. Amazon.com
Paperback - 290 pages (November 1998)
Penguin USA (Paper); ISBN: 0140277447

The Comfort Women : Japan's Brutal Regime of Enforced Prostitution in the Second World War
by George L. Hicks
Paperback - 303 pages Reprint edition (October 1997)
W.W. Norton & Company; ISBN: 0393316947

Ships from Hell : Japanese War Crimes on the High Seas
by Raymond Lamont-Brown
(Hardcover - May 2002)

Japanese War Crimes
by Peter Li (Editor)
(Paperback - April 2002)

Sugamo Prison, Tokyo : An Account of the Trial and Sentencing of Japanese War Criminals in 1948, by a U.S. Participant
by John L. Ginn
(Hardcover - November 1992)

The Knights of Bushido : A Short History of Japanese War Crimes
by Lord Russell
(Hardcover - July 2002)

From a review of Tanaka's book :

"Battlefield stress and military tradition conspired with cultural and historical factors to turn ordinary soldiers into war criminals, writes scholar Yuki Tanaka in Hidden Horrors: Japanese War Crimes in World War II. The first major work on Japanese war crimes by a Japanese writer, Hidden Horrors is a compelling look at brutality, individual duty, and collective
responsibility. Tanaka, a visiting research fellow at the Australian National University,
published his pathbreaking work on Japanese chemical warfare experiments in the Bulletin in
1988. Here his focus is expanded to include the torture and murder of prisoners, rape,
cannibalism, and the massacre of civilians.

The stories he tells are horrifying. Two particularly brutal examples include the POW camp
established by the Japanese at Sandakan, Borneo, and the medical experiments carried out by
Unit 731. The medical experiments, designed primarily to develop effective biological weapons,
were not fully acknowledged until the early 1990s. The atrocities at the Sandakan camp,
however, were never suppressed; there were simply too few survivors to remember them.

The Japanese military command transferred 1,500 Allied prisoners of war to Sandakan, Borneo,
in 1942 with orders to construct an airfield. Chosen for its suitability as a fuel stop for Japanese
warplanes returning home, Sandakan would become the most brutal POW camp in the Pacific
Theater.

For the first few months, prisoners received adequate food, humane treatment, and reasonable
work orders. But conditions began to deteriorate in August 1942, when two escaped prisoners
were caught in the jungle outside camp. As a warning to the other prisoners, camp commandant
Hoshijima Susumu drew up a contract that specified execution by firing squad as the punishment
for escape. The prisoners' reader, Col. A.W. Walsh, refused to sign the contract, stating that
under Australian army regulations, it was a prisoner's duty to take any "reasonable opportunity"
to escape. Bound and held at gunpoint in front of his men, however, Walsh had no choice but to
agree to the Japanese terms.

The first test of Hoshijima's newfound severity came in May 1943, when more than 20 men were
rounded up for possessing radio components. After enduring three months of torture, the
ringleaders "confessed" not only to having the radio parts, but also to plotting an armed uprising
with the intent of destroying Japanese authority in Borneo. They were subsequently transferred
to Kuching, headquarters of the 37th Army. There they were tried, convicted, and received
punishments ranging from six months in jail to immediate execution by firing squad.

Following this so-called Sandakan incident, camp conditions began a downward spiral that
would end with the death marches of 1945. Authorities eliminated weekend leisure activities and
closed the camp canteen. Brutal punishments were inflicted on prisoners deemed to be working
too slowly. Guards beat prisoners with axe handles or gunstocks, forced them to hold push-up
positions for 20--30 minutes in the direct sun, or confined them in "the cage." Prisoners in the
cage had to squat all day, were beaten at night, and given little or no food.

Conditions at Sandakan remained much the same until January 1945, when camp authorities were
ordered to transfer two battalions from Sandakan to Tuaran, on Borneo's west coast. About 500
relatively healthy prisoners were chosen as "carriers" for the march, whose circuitous route had
been mapped out by an anti-Japanese local chieftain. During the first leg of the first march, the
supply system broke down. Rations were almost nonexistent, and prisoners unable to continue
were shot or left behind to die. Possibly unaware of the fate of the first march, a second march
left camp in May 1945.

Back at Sandakan, conditions had become medieval. Shootings and beheadings were common,
and one prisoner was reportedly crucified and disemboweled for stealing a pig. By the time the
war ended, only six of Sandakan's 2,000 prisoners were alive--a survival rate of 0.24 percent.

The Japanese military used Allied prisoners not only as free labor, but also as subjects for
Japanese medical "researchers," whose studies were an effort to determine the best recipe for
germ warfare. Unit 731's largest experiment was conducted on 1,485 Allied POWs in
Manchuria. Told they were being inoculated against various tropical diseases, prisoners were in
fact receiving injections of different pathogens. Witnesses and survivors also tell of prisoners
being given lethal injections and dumped into mass graves after their death throes were
observed, timed, and recorded.

Unit 731 was also charged with developing ways for the army to perform more effectively on the
battlefield. In one experiment, researchers positioned Chinese prisoners on a mock battlefield
under machine gun fire and lobbed shells containing mustard gas at them. Other prisoners were
forced to drink mustard gas in liquid form. In each case, prisoners were monitored and their
reactions to the gas measured.

To determine how to facilitate recovery from frostbite, Chinese prisoners were sprayed with salt
water in below-freezing temperatures. Researchers hit them with hammers to determine whether
frostbite had set in, and doused them with water. Gen. Shiro Shiro, head of Unit 731, was said to
be "particularly proud" of the results of this experiment.

Medical experiments, biological warfare, and abuse of prisoners are just a few of the atrocities
detailed in Hidden Horrors. When food was scarce and supply lines destroyed, soldiers resorted
to cannibalism, sometimes harvesting flesh from live victims. "Comfort women" (only recently
acknowledged by the Japanese government) were forced into prostitution and given "quotas" as
high as 35 soldiers per day. Prison officials only occasionally marked camps with a red cross
visible from the air, and captured nurses were forced into the ocean and gunned down. Nor were
civilians spared; Tanaka describes two incidents in which noncombatants were summarily
executed.

Unlike other accounts of Japanese war crimes, which focus exclusively on atrocities, Tanaka
examines incidents from cultural and historical perspectives. The sheer barbarity and frequency
of the war crimes, he contends, is due in part to Japanese military tradition. A mandate issued
in 1894 ordered soldiers to commit suicide rather than surrender. The Russo-japanese War in
1905 and the invasion of China in the 1930s had established Japan as the eminent military power
in East Asia. Although the suicide order was lifted, the notion of gyokusai, which emerged in
World War II, obliged soldiers to fight to the death in defense of the emperor. Appropriate
methods were not suggested, inappropriate methods were not questioned, and excuses for failure
were not tolerated.

The brutality of the Pacific Theater transformed this creed into barbarity. As the war progressed,
Allied forces were increasingly less likely to take Japanese prisoners. At the same time, a "kill
or be killed" attitude pervaded the Japanese army. Impersonal military jargon wormed its way
into the minds of individual soldiers, melding individual Allied soldiers into an abstract
"enemy."

As defeat grew nearer, Japanese soldiers felt frightened and betrayed by a high command that
left them starving in remote outposts, overrun by Allied soldiers, or destroyed by Allied
bombing. Weakening the enemy through cruelty and torture--even a pregnant woman or a
defenseless prisoner--became a way to overcome that fear and betrayal while staying within the
strict boundaries of gyokusai.

After World War II, the individuals who actually ordered and committed specific acts of abuse
were tried and punished. Tanaka acknowledges the necessity of individual punishment, but he
also argues that individual soldiers should not bear all the responsibility. In many cases, the
individual soldiers were acting under orders from their superior officers or even top army
leaders. Condemning only the individual soldiers, in Tanaka's view, absolves the men at the top
whose orders resulted in the torture or deaths of thousands.

Nor does Tanaka accept the concept of universal responsibility. Humankind as a whole cannot
and should not assume full responsibility for the actions of a few overstressed, misdirected
soldiers. To saddle society with such a burden would not only fail to punish those responsible
for ordering and committing war crimes, it would spread the responsibility too thin. For the
Japanese people as a whole, Tanaka says, it is not enough to acknowledge the atrocities their
soldiers committed in the name of the emperor. Individual Japanese must also recognize their
own complicity in allowing their military leaders to allow, tacitly or openly, the kind of war that
turned men into monsters. "

Post #: 13
- 6/7/2002 1:47:00 PM   
dgaad

A documentary film called "Japanese Devils" or Riben Guizi, opened in Tokyo this year. Here is a review of it :

"Details of Japanese World War II atrocities are known all over Asia. Except, that is, in the place it matters most -- Japan itself.

America's postwar desire to help build a strong Japan as a bulwark against Communist China entailed that only a select group of military leaders and diplomats be prosecuted at the Tokyo War Crimes trial. So most of those who committed atrocities were allowed to quietly rejoin society.

Since then, Japan's powerful patriotic right wing has ensured that details of the atrocities have been omitted from the country's history books. Consequently, two generations of Japanese have grown up ignorant of their countrymen's perverse behavior in China and other Asian countries.

Until now, that is." from the beginning of the invasion -- 1931's Manchurian Incident -- to the end of the war in 1945.

Calmly and accurately, the former soldiers relate, in great detail, their actions against the Chinese: mass murder, rape, torture, vivisection, cannibalism.

"Japanese Devils" opened in Tokyo in December. As the film illustrates in a prologue, many Japanese find the war crimes issue shameful and feel it should not be discussed. Those who do bring the subject up are accused of traitorous behavior.

But such was the interest shown by the public, young and old, that after three weeks the film was being listed by magazines as one of the top films of the year. Now, a queue of at least 50 people forms outside the Image Forum cinema every morning for the film's 9:30 a.m. showing.

The power of "Japanese Devils" -- a literal translation of the original title "Riben Guizi," a Mandarin-language insult coined by Chinese in the 1930s and '40s -- lies in the calm delivery of its subjects. Matsui wanted to create a historical record about events that have not been elsewhere documented in the Japanese language. Although the men who came forward for interviews all regretted their wartime acts, Matsui asked them to hold back on their emotions and relate their activities in a clear, accurate manner.

Credibility was also an issue. Although some of the interviewees felt highly emotional about the atrocities they had committed, Matsui asked them not to cry in front of the camera. In Japan, those who try to bring such events to light are sometimes dismissed as insane or victims of Chinese brainwashing. So Matsui wanted his interviewees to appear as clear-headed as possible.

To list all the various debaucheries would take up too much space here, but a select few will illustrate the inhumanity of the former soldiers' acts.

At the start of the film, Yoshio Tsuchiya, a former 2nd lieutenant in Manchuria, tells how he murdered Chinese prisoners of war by shooting them in the back of the neck and kicking them into holes.

Then, Yoshio Shinozuka, a corporal in the Infectious Diseases Unit, tells how he "murdered brutally," then dissected, five Chinese while testing plague viruses on them.

Masao Shikada, a 2nd lieutenant in the army, recalls enjoying beheading a captive, in front of an audience, with a superior Kendo sword technique that left the head attached by a flap of skin at the front of the neck. He then kicked the head into a basket.

Others tell of women being raped and bayoneted in the genitals, or, in some cases, having their vaginas stuffed with rags soaked in petroleum and set alight. Children were routinely murdered in front of their parents.

If there can be a "worst" in such a litany of atrocities, it is the admission of Masayo Enomoto, a former sergeant major. Enomoto remembers raping a young woman, slicing her up with a meat cleaver, cooking her in a pot and distributing her as food to his troops, who were short of meat.

Director Matsui did not want to show any apologies on film, lest this shift the tone from historical record to confessional. But the ex-soldiers do try to give some reasons, even if they do not shirk personal responsibility for their acts. The fact that Japanese military training taught recruits that the Chinese were worth less than animals is cited: "We Japanese all thought about the Chinese the same way -- as subhuman scum," says Yoshio Tsuchiya.

This does not, however, explain the sadistic glee that the men remember experiencing while committing the atrocities. "I lost my humanity. . . . The more I killed, the more I would enjoy it," remembers one man.

Others say peer pressure was a factor. The war veterans, who would often beat and humiliate new Japanese army recruits, called them cowardly if they did not participate in the crimes.

Nationalism, of course, was the greatest spur. These onetime fanatical Japanese nationalists showed no qualms about murdering and raping if they thought it would further the cause of Japan and increase the glory of the Emperor.

(The emperor was later absolved of all war crimes by the Tokyo War Crimes Trial, an act that enabled responsibility to be shifted to a select few in the military command.)

Toward the end of the film, it transpires that these men had actually been punished for their crimes. In 1945, 570,000 Japanese soldiers surrendered to China, and were imprisoned in Siberia. Five years later, after the Communist victory, 1,100 were sent back to China for "re-education." The documentary says that they were treated humanely, forced to see the evil in their actions and returned to Japan in 1956 with a warning "not to invade China again."

The 14 were among that number. Nowadays, they want to tell of their activities so that Japanese youngsters will know the truth about what took place during the war.

"I am now 80 years old," says Masao Shikada. "For the rest of my days, I will talk about the war of invasion. . . . I must find a way to tell future generations that we must never commit such transgressions again," Shikada adds.

"That is the very least I can do to atone for my sins."

New York-based film critic Richard James Havis writes for Variety, The Hollywood Reporter and the South China Morning Post, among other publications.

©2002 San Francisco Chronicle Page D - 4

[URL=http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/03/17/IN225056.DTL&type=printable]http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/03/17/IN225056.DTL&type=printable[/URL]

Post #: 14
- 6/8/2002 1:28:31 AM   
corbulo

It is interesting to compare Japanese atrocities with German atrocities. The Japanese seem haphazard and not systematic, like the Germans.

are Korean and Japanese related as languages? They sound similar when I hear them, but I read that they are not related at all.

virtute omne regatur

Post #: 15
- 6/8/2002 1:50:42 AM   
dgaad

Corbulo : Japanese atrocities only seem haphazard when compared to the systematic extermination and other atrocities committed by the Germans. Japanese atrocities were more embedded in the militarists "culture", and to some extent the culture of Japan at that time which considered itself a superior race and society to other East Asian nations, cultures and societies. German atrocities were a state-sponsored systematic attempt to exterminate a number of races in Europe, and enslave most of the rest. Japanese atrocities were simple brutality with no clear political goal. Make no mistake, howver, Japanese atrocities were systematic if viewed from a simple perspective of the number of victims, the number of perpetrators, and the direct involvement of the Japanese militarist rulers who gave criminal and amoral specific and standing orders. However, it should be pointed out that there were significant differences in the treatment of natives, POWs and civilians in different Japanese commands, some were absolutely bestial and medieval - some were more or less along the lines of humanitarian. The problem is the militarist government made zero attempts to reign in their most atrocious commanders, sponsored very heinous acts from the highest level, and usually transferred, demoted or otherwise dishonored those officers that had humanitarian records. Some Japanese commanders actually made serious attempts to treat their East Asian neighbors well and include them in the overall concept of the Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere. Unfortunately, those that did were usually recalled in disgrace.

Post #: 16
- 6/10/2002 7:27:42 AM   
tohoku

[QUOTE]Originally posted by corbulo
are Korean and Japanese related as languages? They sound similar when I hear them, but I read that they are not related at all.

[/QUOTE]

They're very related. Japanese is *almost* certainly an off-shoot of earlier Korean, although both have diverged since it happened.

Grammatically, any pattern that exists in Korean exists in Japanese, although the converse is no longer true.

tohoku
YMMV

Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Cannibalism On Truk? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI