Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  156 157 [158] 159 160   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/29/2009 7:04:29 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

Kuwaki is on the short side, solidly built and stoic in temperament, while Sugiyura is lean and full of restless energy. The two are not close friends but have developed a good working relationship over the years, each appreciating the other’s competence.

I remember Kuwaki wasn't so stoic when they took away the middle 5-inch turret. But apparently even he has recognized the value of AAA.

Well, yes. The man is stoic but he isn't made of stone. Who could remain unmoved by the end of such a relationship?

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 4711
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/29/2009 7:06:06 PM   
Cuttlefish

May 15, 1945

Course: None
Attached to: TF 21
Mission: Surface combat
System Damage: 3
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 475

Orders: Await further orders

---

Hakodate is located on the Kameda Peninsula, which juts out into the Tsugaru Strait. The peninsula shelters a nice anchorage, which is where the twenty-one warships of Yamamoto’s task force find themselves anchored on a pleasant late spring day.

No one seems to be in a hurry to send them anywhere right away, so Lieutenant Miharu draws up a rotation of twenty-four hour leaves. Hokkaido, unlike much of Honshu, has not been bombed and it is possible to go ashore, have a drink or five, and almost forget about the war for a while.

Hakodate was one of the few treaty ports established following Perry’s visit and as a result there are some stately stone churches here, Anglican and Russian Orthodox among them. Those wandering further afield soon find evidence of the war once again, however, for no less than ten prisoner of war camps dot the area. Fortifications guard the tip of the peninsula and green and lumpy Mount Hakodate, which overlooks the city, houses radar and communications facilities.

The city is used to hosting men of the Imperial Japanese Navy. In consequence there is no lack of bars, brothels, geisha houses, gambling dens, and a variety of other places designed to quickly and efficiently relieve sailors of their accumulated back pay. With so many ships in port all these places are soon doing a booming business.

And so the men of Hibiki wait for whatever comes next. No one has any idea what that will be, as yet. The Allied fist is wrapping ever more tightly around Japan and the next move is up to them.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4712
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/29/2009 8:23:30 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

No one seems to be in a hurry to send them anywhere right away, so Lieutenant Miharu draws up a rotation of twenty-four hour leaves. Hokkaido, unlike much of Honshu, has not been bombed and it is possible to go ashore, have a drink or five, and almost forget about the war for a while.

I hate to add a discouraging word, but there's something missing from this picture. News of the invasion of Okinawa will certainly have spread all over Japan by now, though likely the official version will be vastly different from reality. Riku and Shun will doubtless be sifting every rumor -- and dunning Captain Ishii -- for an accurate picture, and news of their women.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4713
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/30/2009 12:31:41 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

I hate to add a discouraging word, but there's something missing from this picture. News of the invasion of Okinawa will certainly have spread all over Japan by now, though likely the official version will be vastly different from reality. Riku and Shun will doubtless be sifting every rumor -- and dunning Captain Ishii -- for an accurate picture, and news of their women.

Patience. I wanted to set the larger view before moving on to a few individual stories. The plot line you mentioned will be foremost among them and we might take a look in on Okinawa as well.

Post #: 4714
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/30/2009 3:30:26 PM   
kaleun

I don't think the number of hits on this thread has been affected by AE.
BTW looking forward to Small Ship Big War 2, AE

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4715
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/30/2009 3:54:39 PM   
nashvillen

OK, now that I have read all 158 pages of this amazing story, I want to say a repetitive thank you to CF for the great work of literature he has created. This has enthralled me to the point that all I have done with AE is download and just open it once to look at what Matrix has done. Getting back to the story has been more important! Now that I am caught up, I can concentrate on exploring AE in preparation for my first PBEM with rjopel in the near future!

I have played WitP since it was released as PW back in the early 90's, I was fascinated by the level a detail in the game then and am still amazed in the level of detail added in AE. It allows for such stories such as this.

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 4716
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/30/2009 4:24:46 PM   
davidgillsol

Long time lurker on this site. I too will add my appreciation to CF for this AAR- The story is fantastic and I cannot overstate how upset I was when I finally caught up to the present day and realised I would have to take my Hibiki doses day by day, rather than pages at a time!

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 4717
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/30/2009 4:40:25 PM   
Durbik

quote:

This has enthralled me to the point that all I have done with AE is download and just open it once to look at what Matrix has done. Getting back to the story has been more important!

Now, THAT'S a compliment!

obey the fist!

(in reply to davidgillsol)
Post #: 4718
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/31/2009 2:30:21 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lord Sunderland

Long time lurker on this site. I too will add my appreciation to CF for this AAR- The story is fantastic and I cannot overstate how upset I was when I finally caught up to the present day and realised I would have to take my Hibiki doses day by day, rather than pages at a time!

quote:

ORIGINAL: nashvillen

OK, now that I have read all 158 pages of this amazing story, I want to say a repetitive thank you to CF for the great work of literature he has created. This has enthralled me to the point that all I have done with AE is download and just open it once to look at what Matrix has done. Getting back to the story has been more important! Now that I am caught up, I can concentrate on exploring AE in preparation for my first PBEM with rjopel in the near future!

I have played WitP since it was released as PW back in the early 90's, I was fascinated by the level a detail in the game then and am still amazed in the level of detail added in AE. It allows for such stories such as this.

Wow, still picking up new readers after all this time. Thanks for the compliments and I'm glad you gentlemen enjoyed the read.

Part of the, well, "art" (for lack of a better word) to writing this has been to take combat results from the game and turn them into a cohesive narrative. The level of additional detail that AE provides will make this a lot easier. I had been wavering about whether or not to attempt another AAR in this style for AE but after looking at AE I don't think I can resist. It won't happen until this one is done, though.

(in reply to davidgillsol)
Post #: 4719
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/31/2009 2:33:56 AM   
Cuttlefish

May 16, 1945

---

Despite being virtually under siege Japan still controls a vast empire. In the Pacific the Gilberts and the Marshalls, with the lone exception of Eniwetok, are all still under Japanese rule. Truk, the Solomons, and Rabaul are all Japanese. The Rising Sun still flies over the Philippine archipelago and the whole of the Dutch East Indies. Manchukuo and large stretches of China are Japanese, and the Japanese still control Singapore, Indochina, and portions of Burma and Malaya.

The war news released by the Japanese government is careful to emphasize this. What news there is, anyway. By the time Hibiki and her crew reach Hakodate radio broadcasts are no longer regular and newspapers have been reduced to a single sheet. Most “news” consists of exhortations to the Japanese people to make sacrifices, to face the enemy with dauntless courage, and to avoid defeatism. Sometimes there will be a report of a small Japanese success, such as the recent sinking of the American tanker convoy, usually greatly exaggerated.

It is enough to make someone desperate for real news absolutely frantic, and this term can be appropriately applied to Seaman First Class Riku Ariga. All that has been admitted officially is that the island of Okinawa, where his wife lives, has been invaded. The Japanese people are assured that the American invaders have been butchered like cattle and that soon the campaign will end in glorious, inevitable Japanese victory.

Riku is in fact frantic enough to begin demanding answers. This is a dangerous thing to do in Japan in 1945. He is brought up short by a hand on his shoulder. The hand grips like a vise and belongs to Chief Petty Officer Shun. Shun speaks briefly with Riku in a low, quiet voice and by the time he is done Riku looks more calm, outwardly at least. The two men then set about learning what they can.

Both men are very good at gathering information. Riku has many contacts and a gift for talking to people, while Shun is…well, Shun. Their officers are also sympathetic and willing to help.

It takes some time but in the end the two men think they have a fairly complete picture of what is happening on Okinawa. The Allies control the northern three-quarters of the island. Japan still holds out in the far south, including Naga, and the enemy does not seem inclined to press the issue. There are a lot of Japanese troops there in very good defensive terrain and the enemy attitude seems to be that they are not going anywhere.

The odds that Rin Shun and Nanami Ariga are behind Japanese lines, however, seems remote. The Shun cottage was located well north of the invasion zone and Japanese resistance in that area ended quickly. Little about the campaign can be learned. There are dark rumors of Americans massacring Okinawan civilians. There are darker rumors of Japanese troops doing the same thing.

In the end the two men know little more than when they started. If the two women survived the chaos of the invasion then they are under American occupation. Either way it is certain that nothing further will be learned until the war is over.

That is going to be a hard thing to live with.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4720
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/31/2009 5:28:00 AM   
Grotius

Wow, you have done well indeed, Cuttlefish, if you still hold all that in mid-1945. Congrats! How many DDs beside Hibiki remain afloat?

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4721
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/31/2009 1:06:38 PM   
SireChaos

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Wow, you have done well indeed, Cuttlefish, if you still hold all that in mid-1945. Congrats! How many DDs beside Hibiki remain afloat?

He mentioned a 21-ship TF in Hakodate. I would hazard a guess that this is the bulk of the Imperial Japanese Navy.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 4722
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/31/2009 6:10:36 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

quote:

quote:

Wow, still picking up new readers after all this time. Thanks for the compliments and I'm glad you gentlemen enjoyed the read.

Part of the, well, "art" (for lack of a better word) to writing this has been to take combat results from the game and turn them into a cohesive narrative. The level of additional detail that AE provides will make this a lot easier. I had been wavering about whether or not to attempt another AAR in this style for AE but after looking at AE I don't think I can resist. It won't happen until this one is done, though.

I have tried your style of 'art' in my AARs periodically CF and I can NEVER match your skill and quality of work. It humbles me to read this work day-after-day and see what you have achieved.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4723
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/31/2009 6:53:58 PM   
SireChaos

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

quote:

quote:

quote:

I have tried your style of 'art' in my AARs periodically CF and I can NEVER match your skill and quality of work. It humbles me to read this work day-after-day and see what you have achieved.

I second this remark. I try my hand at creative writing from time to time, but this... WOW!

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 4724
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/31/2009 7:13:31 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

Ordinarily this falls outside the "deck-level" view of the war I usually stay with, but it happens that Captain Ishii has a pretty good idea of the figures - the Combined Fleet being kind of a small club these days and all. Japan still wields a surprising amount of naval strength. Ishii thinks are about 40 front-line destroyers available (not all of them in or around Japan) and another 15 to 20 second-line destroyers. Japan also has 4 CVs, 2 CVLs, maybe a dozen light cruisers, and perhaps 6 or 8 heavy cruisers. Battleships are the most uncertain quantity; Mutsu is known to be afloat but out of the war and rumor says that there are one or two others hidden away somewhere.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 4725
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/31/2009 8:26:35 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

The Allies control the northern three-quarters of the island. Japan still holds out in the far south, including Naga, and the enemy does not seem inclined to press the issue. There are a lot of Japanese troops there in very good defensive terrain and the enemy attitude seems to be that they are not going anywhere.

Interesting strategy. I would guess the Allies have enough airfields and ports to assemble what they need for the next step.

Riku may be regretting not taking the offer to relocate Nanami -- but I don't think Granny would have agreed to move, and Nanami wouldn't have agreed to leave her.

So the Brits have part of the Malayan peninsula now -- I wonder if they managed to take Rangoon from the south?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4726
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 7/31/2009 11:41:14 PM   
SireChaos

quote:

quote:

Ordinarily this falls outside the "deck-level" view of the war I usually stay with, but it happens that Captain Ishii has a pretty good idea of the figures - the Combined Fleet being kind of a small club these days and all. Japan still wields a surprising amount of naval strength. Ishii thinks are about 40 front-line destroyers available (not all of them in or around Japan) and another 15 to 20 second-line destroyers. Japan also has 4 CVs, 2 CVLs, maybe a dozen light cruisers, and perhaps 6 or 8 heavy cruisers. Battleships are the most uncertain quantity; Mutsu is known to be afloat but out of the war and rumor says that there are one or two others hidden away somewhere.

I take back all my snarky comments about the state of the IJN. It´s freakin´ amazing you´ve managed to keep so much of your fleet afloat for so long. This is what - half the pre-war cruiser and destroyer strength, 2/3 of the pre-war carrier strength (although probably much less effective plane-for-plane)... even if they are reduced to the state of a fleet-in-being, that should be enough to keep the Allied player on his toes, especially with the stunt that the Ikoma task force pulled.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4727
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/3/2009 7:20:20 PM   
Cuttlefish

May 17, 1945

---

The Japanese government finally confirms an event that has been widely rumored. Germany has surrendered and the war in Europe is over. For most Japanese this is not in fact earth-shattering news. Germany has always been an ally of convenience and not one for whom most Japanese feel a great deal of kinship. But while the two nations have not exactly contended side-by-side on the field of battle there is still something disheartening about knowing that Japan now continues the fight alone.

---

“What about Hitler?” asks Ensign Konada. Several of Hibiki’s officers are in the officer’s wardroom discussing the announcement.

“He killed himself as the Russians closed in on his bunker,” says Lieutenant Miharu.

“I can’t blame him for that,” says Chief Engineer Sakati. “Those Stalinists are cold bastards. I would not want to be their prisoner.”

“Have you known many Russians, Sakati?” asks Lieutenant Miharu curiously. He has rarely if ever heard Sakati offer a political opinion of any kind.

“A few,” Sakati says. He pops the last morsel of dried fish he has been eating in his mouth and washes it down with a little sake, then makes a face. “Bah. Indifferent stuff, but there is no better to be had, these days. Yes, I knew a couple of Russians when I was at Glasgow and I once visited St. Petersburg as part of a tour of the Obukhov State Factory. The Communists among them all had closed faces, like shut-up tombs. And they all drink…vodka.” He shudders.

“There are rumors that we have approached Russia and asked them to help negotiate a peace settlement,” says Lieutenant Sugiyura. Lieutenant Miharu shakes his head.

“I have heard that too,” he says. “I cannot believe it, though. That is like a rabbit asking a wolf to save it from a tiger.”

“How is that, sir?” asks Sugiyura. “I would think the Russians might be willing to help. They are fellow Asiatics, after all.”

“That is a dangerous illusion,” says Miharu. “The power elite in Moscow is not Asiatic and they feel no ties of kinship with us, or with anyone.” He speaks with rare passion, perhaps because he had this same argument many times with his now-dead brother. “Stalin is very dangerous, and now that Germany is out of the war I very much fear that they will turn their eyes in our direction.”

“Why, sir?” asks Ensign Konada. “They have no reason to go to war with us.”

“They don’t need a reason,” says Miharu bitterly. “They have ambition and insatiable greed and that is more than reason enough.” He lapses into silence. His expression is set and distant and the others, somewhat surprised by this outburst from the usually taciturn officer, elect not to pursue the topic further.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4728
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/4/2009 7:36:03 PM   
kaleun

Watch out for Russian activation.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4729
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/4/2009 8:00:08 PM   
Barb

Those ruskies wanted to revenge the defeat in Russo-Japanese war...

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 4730
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/4/2009 8:07:17 PM   
Alikchi2

Getting some armageddon-y vibes over here..

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 4731
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/4/2009 8:19:33 PM   
Cuttlefish

May 18, 1945

---

Here and there, around the world:

---

Frank Barnwell sits at the table in his kitchen and looks out over his garden. The garden is filled with sunlight and it promises to be a fine spring day in Brighton. He looks back down at the letter he is reading, the one denying his request to return to active duty.

It’s just as well, he tells himself. I must have been barking mad to make the request in the first place. After all I’ve been through and survived only a fool would want to go back.

He folds the letter and puts in back in the envelope. He thinks of his old mates and wonders how they are getting on there in Burma. Heat, bad food, mosquitoes, and Japs. Yes, only a fool would want to go back. He sets the letter aside and picks up the latest copy of The Argus, scanning it first, as he always does, for news of the war in Asia.

Fool or not, he wishes he was there.

---

The Rickshaw Man slips into Hong Kong like a dirty, tattered shadow. He’s gotten used to the claw he now wears in place of his left hand and has even learned to use it to sinister effect. In a way it is a measure of his master’s regard for his services that he has it. Any less valuable servant would have been killed for disobeying orders and, worse, failing the mission.

Shun has the hand now, the Rickshaw Man reflects. Well, that is fair. He wonders what Shun will do with it. Keep it as a memento, he hopes. It is discouraging to think of one’s bitter enemy simply tossing a part of oneself aside. But Shun never was very predictable.

In any event the Rickshaw Man has a new assignment. Du is already looking past the end of the war to a day when he might need a bolt hole. If the Communists ever take control of China Du is finished and Du, more farsighted in this regard perhaps than many heads of state, sees this as a real possibility. Hong Kong would make an ideal place to retire and it is the Rickshaw Man’s job to prepare the way.

He puts aside his reminiscences and sets about getting the job done.

---

Ensign Mark Turnby, resident of the prisoner of war camp known to its inmates as The Mitsui Madhouse, squints up at the sun before plying his shovel again. He hopes a someone will be along soon with a bucket of water and a dipper. Digging slit trenches is thirsty work.

The area has not been bombed lately but it is best to be prepared. News through the grapevine says the heavies are busy working over places to the south, places like Nagoya and Osaka and Sasebo. Despite the tragedy of losing friends to his own side Turnby still cheers the bombers on. Anything to end the war and get out of this dump and back home.

At least he and his fellows here have it easier than most. He doubts there is another POW camp in Japan where the guards are bribed to take good care of the prisoners. Turnby and the others are fed as well as the guards, which is not all that well but better than nothing, and really scarcely guarded at all. Right now, for instance, Turnby is so laxly watched that he could put down his shovel and walk right out of the compound without drawing a yell or a shot. But where would he go?

He drives his shovel into the ground again and thinks for the one thousandth time about his family. He thinks about girls he knows, and he thinks about eating a steak. He would give his left hand for a big, juicy steak, fried up right and smothered in onions and mushrooms. Dirt flies over his shoulder as he chases the imaginary steak down with a nice cold beer and then enjoys a big dish of ice cream. His stomach growling, Ensign Turnby works on in the bright sunshine.

---

Harry S. Truman sits in the Oval Office and looks again at the plan that the Joint Chiefs have set in front of him. It is risky and ambitious and if it works could bring the war to a swift conclusion. If it fails it could be a disaster.

Truman is tempted to just wait for the first test of the Manhattan Project, tentatively scheduled for two months from now. The scientists have assured him that it will work, and if it does it would possibly render the plan in front of him unnecessary. But if it fizzles then two months or more will have been lost, months during which the war could have been brought to a conclusion.

It is a terrible decision to have to make. Either way tens of thousands of people are going to die. Truman is simply given some control over who dies and when. This isn’t the job he signed up for, but it is his job now. As he himself says, this is where the buck stops.

“Mrs. Conway,” he calls. Rose Conway, efficient as ever, is in the doorway almost immediately. “Get me Admiral King on the phone, please.”

“Yes, Mr. President,” says Mrs. Conway. A moment later she informs him that Admiral King is on the line.

Truman picks up the phone. “This is Truman,” he says. “Proceed with Operation Longbow.”

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4732
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/4/2009 8:24:12 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

“Why, sir?” asks Ensign Konada. “They have no reason to go to war with us.”

“They don’t need a reason,” says Miharu bitterly. “They have ambition and insatiable greed and that is more than reason enough.”

Actually the Soviets had two substantial reasons: Korea and Sakhalin Island. The former was ceded to Japanese control (along with Port Arthur) and the latter was divided between Japan and Russia. Stalin wanted the whole thing (there were substantial deposits of coal) and of course, he got it.

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4733
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/5/2009 12:04:48 AM   
thegreatwent

Cue the suspenseful music

Once agian thanks CF

Post #: 4734
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/5/2009 12:37:41 AM   
Alikchi2

Oooh boy. Fingers crossed - will Hibiki survive Longbow?

(in reply to thegreatwent)
Post #: 4735
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/5/2009 1:41:59 AM   
SierraJuliet

Re Around the World.  Sombre reading CF but gloriously put together.

(in reply to Alikchi2)
Post #: 4736
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/5/2009 2:46:20 AM   
Cribtop

Around the World is great stuff. Each vignette, in its own way, is proof that the only predictable outcome of a major war is to forever change the world as we knew it.

(in reply to SierraJuliet)
Post #: 4737
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/5/2009 10:47:25 AM   
yubari

Magnificent. There never was a greater.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 4738
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/5/2009 6:00:42 PM   
Cuttlefish

May 19, 1945

---

The days of the American occupation of Okinawa have passed swiftly for Nanami Ariga. She and several hundred other Okinawans are being kept in a large camp. There were more initially but they are slowly being allowed back to their homes and villages. Nanami has stayed for several reasons. First, she has no place else to go. Second, she is still looking for her grandmother. And third, there are many here who need her, homeless families with young children and others who all seem to need help or a kind word here and there.

Meanwhile they are fed and cared for reasonably well. Most of the Americans are very nice. A few have been openly hostile, obviously mistaking them for Japanese, and a few have looked at her and made comments whose words she doesn’t know but whose tone she understands perfectly well. By and large, however, she and the others are cared for with a cheerful and somewhat remote efficiency.

The efficiency of the Americans is what astounds her. Whatever they need seems to magically appear. Tents, blankets, latrines, cots, food, all of these pour out of the cornucopia of their war machine with little effort. They even have chocolate, here, thousands of miles from home. It is a casual and breathtaking display of power that Nanami feels would compel the Japanese to surrender immediately if they saw it, even those unimpressed by their airplanes and ships and guns.

At the moment Nanami is walking through the makeshift camp, occasionally exchanging a greeting or a few words with this person or that. She does not like being idle. That gives her too much time to worry. She worries about her grandmother, her father, and her husband. Riku! She has not seen him in so long. She tells herself fiercely that he must be alive, that surely she would feel it somehow if something had happened. But she does not know for certain and it gnaws at her.

Her thoughts are interrupted by a jeep pulling up alongside her. At the wheel is Hayakawa, the interpreter. Nanami has worked with him a lot since her capture, as he speaks no Okinawan and few of the islanders speak Japanese that he can understand.

“Hop in!” he says cheerfully. “I have found your grandmother.” Nanami gasps and scrambles to obey. Hayakawa guns the engine as soon as she is settled and they drive off.

“Where is she?” Nanami asks in Japanese. “How is she?” Hayakawa chuckles.

“She was taken to our field hospital near Kadina,” he says. “She has a broken leg and was dehydrated, but she is fine.”

“Are you sure it is her?”

“She is a small elderly woman named Rin who has taken command of an entire ward,” he says. “All the doctors, corpsmen, and nurses love her and fear her and obey her every whim. Does that…”

“Oh it is her!” interrupts Nanami happily. “Hurry, please!” She hangs on as the jeep sways around a turn and bounces down the rutted road south towards Kadina.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4739
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/5/2009 7:24:48 PM   
Canoerebel

American efficiency? I've always thought we were kind of looked down upon in that regards - at least by Germans, to whom efficiency is sacrosanct. American abundance and productivity and inginuity, yes!

Your reference to chocolate reminds me of the scene in the "Battle of the Bulge" movie in which two German officers are marveling over the fact that American infantry troops in the Ardennes had chocolate cake that had been flown over from the states.

P.S. I should add that this isn't a complaint about your story! Far from it - like everyone else I continue to marvel at your ability to weave such an engaging narrative.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4740
Page:   <<   < prev  156 157 [158] 159 160   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  156 157 [158] 159 160   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI