Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say? - 8/9/2009 4:34:27 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

It is easy to hit targets with a 4 engine bomber from 100'. I've been in one at 200' (the minimum allowed by Navy regs) and done it. . The problem with 100' in an aircraft with a 100' wingspan, well, you do the math. All aircraft drop slightly in a turn (except for VERY high powered , high performance aircraft doing climbing turns). So what this means is that a B-17 sacrafices ALL maneveability for accuracy. (Sort of like they did in Europe-a B-17 , one minute out from IP-initial point- not only couldn't manuever, the bombardier was flying the aircraft.). So the problems are bomb fuzing (an easy fix) and crew training (a time consuming fix).

As has been mentioned before, B-17s were the 1st aircraft to do skip bombing, at the end of the PI campaign. But why endanger 10 men in a half million dollar aircraft when you can do it with 5 or less men in a much,much cheaper aircraft? I've always felt that skip bombing for heavies was a very viable tactic, if the allied side is willing to risk VERY heavy losses. I have always felt that a lot of people screaming "gamey" are confusing historical with possible. How many times was a "possible " tactic not used by a "nervous" commander afraid what would happen to him when it went wrong? Even Curtis LeMay had 2nd thoughts about low level firebombing raids over Japan with stripped down B-29's. But we don't consider it "gamey". If some commander in the South Pacific had said "set the B-17's at 100' ", we would not be having this conversation today.

I am 100% with you Steve on this!

If it was possible to do it in WWII - we should have it in WitP-AE - all is OK there!

But, the AA should "chew" those B-17's - the broad daylight attacks against navy man-of-war armed with AA should be suicide mission!

I was in Air Force 20+ years ago doing my army time and I was with SAMs (SA-3). But we also had manually trained 20mm AA guns. Those were more modern versions of the WWII era and they were lethal!

Thus I can almost guarantee you that on broad daylight at open sea there should not be any surprises on well maintained navy ships with lookouts searching the horizon and the skies... the big B-17's starting attack from 2000 ft (that's about 600 meters of altitude) and finalizing at 100-200 ft (that's about 30m) would have been long sighted, avoided and shot down with any properly manned navy man-of-war...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 31
RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say? - 8/9/2009 4:51:49 PM   
Wilhammer

I would fully expect some randomizer where the Planes stand a god chance of being wiped out or nearly so - a flak trap could be easily set up for this kind of thing with warships. We can assume that sometimes the 100ft bombing mission will be a successful 'ambush', but so should we consider that it risks a very good chance of going wrong.

Damaged planes should have a greater risk of actually crashing to0 - 100 ft is not that far to fall - whereas some damage at 10,000 ftt can afford some buffeting and altitude loss.

Currently in the Guadalcanal Campaign testing the system - very low altitude bombing of any kind is too good - target acquisition on a mobile target or small ground hugging ones should be pretty bad.

So far, I have not seem any of the bombs hit my own troops - surely sending a raid in mutually occupied hexes of engaged troops should see self inflicted harm at times.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 32
RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say? - 8/9/2009 5:04:23 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

It is easy to hit targets with a 4 engine bomber from 100'. I've been in one at 200' (the minimum allowed by Navy regs) and done it. . The problem with 100' in an aircraft with a 100' wingspan, well, you do the math. All aircraft drop slightly in a turn (except for VERY high powered , high performance aircraft doing climbing turns). So what this means is that a B-17 sacrafices ALL maneveability for accuracy. (Sort of like they did in Europe-a B-17 , one minute out from IP-initial point- not only couldn't manuever, the bombardier was flying the aircraft.). So the problems are bomb fuzing (an easy fix) and crew training (a time consuming fix).

As has been mentioned before, B-17s were the 1st aircraft to do skip bombing, at the end of the PI campaign. But why endanger 10 men in a half million dollar aircraft when you can do it with 5 or less men in a much,much cheaper aircraft? I've always felt that skip bombing for heavies was a very viable tactic, if the allied side is willing to risk VERY heavy losses. I have always felt that a lot of people screaming "gamey" are confusing historical with possible. How many times was a "possible " tactic not used by a "nervous" commander afraid what would happen to him when it went wrong? Even Curtis LeMay had 2nd thoughts about low level firebombing raids over Japan with stripped down B-29's. But we don't consider it "gamey". If some commander in the South Pacific had said "set the B-17's at 100' ", we would not be having this conversation today.

If it was possible to do it in WWII - we should have it in WitP-AE - all is OK there!

But, the AA should "chew" those B-17's - the broad daylight attacks against navy man-of-war armed with AA should be suicide mission!

I was in Air Force 20+ years ago doing my army time and I was with SAMs (SA-3). But we also had manually trained 20mm AA guns. Those were more modern versions of the WWII era and they were lethal!

Thus I can almost guarantee you that on broad daylight at open sea there should not be any surprises on well maintained navy ships with lookouts searching the horizon and the skies... the big B-17's starting attack from 2000 ft (that's about 600 meters of altitude) and finalizing at 100-200 ft (that's about 30m) would have been long sighted, avoided and shot down with any properly manned navy man-of-war...

Leo "Apollo11"

I understand Leo, but I can attest to you that on many,many occasions , I've been in a vintage 50's P-3(a,b, and c models) using late 1940's ESM and time and time again caught warships of all nations totally by surprise ! Needless to say , we never made a second pass! The 1st vessel that I couldn't pull that on were the Ticonderoga Class cruisers (tried, tried and tried again). Part of the trick is you don't start at 2,000 feet. You start lower and keep gradually decending. I'm not going to go into the tactics of RADAR evasion (because , despite being 50 years old, they still work). And of course , no crew, no matter how good , can maintain a tight general quarters (or action stations) forever. People get tired, bored and get lazy. And of course, weather is the attackers friend. Clouds, storms and haze are your best friend. Use them well, and you can be practically invisable.

As far as accurracy goes , we (my squadron) experimented in the late 1980's with trying to put a sono-bouy into a very small ploynia (about the size of a mini bus) from 200' using naked eye-ball and FLIR (I was the FLIR operator). We only missed once in over 70 tests. And that was becasue a gust of wind caught the bouy and slammed it against the canyon before dropping it into the water (breaking it). Had that been a 500 lb bomb , that wouldn't have been a factor. A really good crew can manever at the altitude, but it would be difficult (although not impossible--we had a couple of green crews with us and they did OK).

So why is it we can except the KB coming out of nowhere to bomb the daylights out of you , but can't accept a gaggle of B-17's doing the same thing?

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 33
RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say? - 8/9/2009 5:18:25 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

quote:

I understand Leo, but I can attest to you that on many,many occasions , I've been in a vintage 50's P-3(a,b, and c models) using late 1940's ESM and time and time again caught warships of all nations totally by surprise ! Needless to say , we never made a second pass! The 1st vessel that I couldn't pull that on were the Ticonderoga Class cruisers (tried, tried and tried again). Part of the trick is you don't start at 2,000 feet. You start lower and keep gradually decending. I'm not going to go into the tactics of RADAR evasion (because , despite being 50 years old, they still work). And of course , no crew, no matter how good , can maintain a tight general quarters (or action stations) forever. People get tired, bored and get lazy. And of course, weather is the attackers friend. Clouds, storms and haze are your best friend. Use them well, and you can be practically invisable.

As far as accurracy goes , we (my squadron) experimented in the late 1980's with trying to put a sono-bouy into a very small ploynia (about the size of a mini bus) from 200' using naked eye-ball and FLIR (I was the FLIR operator). We only missed once in over 70 tests. And that was becasue a gust of wind caught the bouy and slammed it against the canyon before dropping it into the water (breaking it). Had that been a 500 lb bomb , that wouldn't have been a factor. A really good crew can manever at the altitude, but it would be difficult (although not impossible--we had a couple of green crews with us and they did OK).

Steve, I do believe you!

But I think you managed to surprise them because they relied on radar!

The Japanese in WWII didn't have radar - they relied on lookouts and their eyebals MkI!

What I want to say is that modern warships rely on electronics and have few (if any) lookouts whils in WWII ships heavily relied on plety of crew doing 24/7 lookout in all directions (horizon and sky) in all weather (eye and binocilars)...

BTW, do we have actual WWII historic data about proper navy surprised ships caught with "pants down" by attacking aircraft?

quote:

So why is it we can except the KB coming out of nowhere to bomb the daylights out of you , but can't accept a gaggle of B-17's doing the same thing?

I think that's because of strategic (i.e. KB) / tactical (B-17) surprise type!

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 34
RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say? - 8/9/2009 5:54:26 PM   
AW1Steve

Leo, let me ask you this, how many u-boats were suprised by B-24's and other long ranged aircraft? The sea bottom was littered with their hulls. Would a U-boat lookout be more complaicent then say a IJN heavy cruiser (which felt it'self to be near invincible?). Having spent thousands  of hours staring at a boring , empty sea, I can tell you it's easy even for a very experinced lookout to be distracted, fixated or simply miss a contact. The easiest way is to stare right at it. You spot distant targets with your perifial vision. You spot movement. Looking at an object coming at you head on in a steady manner is a very easy way NOT to see it. You have to constantly keep turning your head to make sure that doesn't happen. And binoculars will narrow your vision so much , that you will frequently miss a contact.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 35
RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say? - 8/9/2009 6:07:19 PM   
juliet7bravo

"3 April 1943:
Moewe anchorage. Boeing B-17 "Flying Fortresses" of the Fifth Air Force's 43rd Bomb Group attack moored AOBA. The big bombers skip-bomb from between 75 and 250 feet with delayed-action fused 500-lb. bombs. A direct hit on AOBA explodes two Type 93 "Long Lance" torpedoes stored aboard and sets the ship afire while the B-17's .50-cal. machine guns strafe her decks. HATSUZUKI assists in fire-fighting. AOBA is flooded and has to be beached to avoid sinking. Destroyer FUMIZUKI is also damaged lightly by a near-miss. The Americans suffer no losses and the 43rd claims two 'probable cruisers' sunk."

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 36
RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say? - 8/9/2009 6:50:44 PM   
TheElf

quote:

ORIGINAL: juliet7bravo

"3 April 1943:
Moewe anchorage. Boeing B-17 "Flying Fortresses" of the Fifth Air Force's 43rd Bomb Group attack moored AOBA. The big bombers skip-bomb from between 75 and 250 feet with delayed-action fused 500-lb. bombs. A direct hit on AOBA explodes two Type 93 "Long Lance" torpedoes stored aboard and sets the ship afire while the B-17's .50-cal. machine guns strafe her decks. HATSUZUKI assists in fire-fighting. AOBA is flooded and has to be beached to avoid sinking. Destroyer FUMIZUKI is also damaged lightly by a near-miss. The Americans suffer no losses and the 43rd claims two 'probable cruisers' sunk."

4E bombers did indeed use skip bombing, even in the B-17, and even early in the war. It was a desperate tactic when it was realized the prewar doctrine of high altitude Anti-shipping was useless. Still, it wasn't common.

It IS still possible to skip bomb even if your bombers are not Attack bombers, but AAA may take it's toll. This looks like a pretty fortunate circumstance...

If we see ridiculously frequent instances of this sort of thing, I'll become concerned and take action. In the mean time, you can always use B-17s as they were used IRL, Medium Altitude bombing, recon, and Nav Search. It's up to you to play historically or not.

IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

(in reply to juliet7bravo)
Post #: 37
RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say? - 8/9/2009 6:52:38 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

Leo, let me ask you this, how many u-boats were suprised by B-24's and other long ranged aircraft? The sea bottom was littered with their hulls. Would a U-boat lookout be more complaicent then say a IJN heavy cruiser (which felt it'self to be near invincible?). Having spent thousands  of hours staring at a boring , empty sea, I can tell you it's easy even for a very experinced lookout to be distracted, fixated or simply miss a contact. The easiest way is to stare right at it. You spot distant targets with your perifial vision. You spot movement. Looking at an object coming at you head on in a steady manner is a very easy way NOT to see it. You have to constantly keep turning your head to make sure that doesn't happen. And binoculars will narrow your vision so much , that you will frequently miss a contact.

I know Steve... I know... but low water lying U-Boat is not navy man-of-war... also the U-Boat has very small conning tower and, IIRC, just 4 lookouts...

BTW, what is the speed of B-17 at sea level?

I found some (quick) info of 250 mph. I seems too high but let's use that...

250 mph = 217 knots = 402 kmh = 111 m/s

Thus if lookouts saw the B-17 the crew of the ship would have the following time to react:

1 nm (1852 m) > 17 seconds
2 nm (3704 m) > 34 seconds
3 nm (5556 m) > 51 seconds
4 nm (7408 m) > 68 seconds
5 nm (9260 m) > 85 seconds

Is that enough time to shoot down the lumbering, slow, unmaneuverable B-17 with wingspan of 100 ft (30 m)?

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 38
RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say? - 8/9/2009 6:53:13 PM   
Puhis

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Puhis
I think that a CV should be able to out manuever a few big 4E bombers so easily. One steep turn should be enough.

Isn't this a bit counter-intuitive? I mean that by your logic a big 4-engined bomber should be able to out manuever a few nimble fighters as well? And what are the CV's choices? Be skip bombed from the side? Or allow the bomber to walk a salvo of bombs down the deck?

I really don't follow you. Ships can turn much steeper than 4E bomber. It's not my logic, it is a fact.

Five 4E bombers and 10 bomb hits it's just riduculous.

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 39
RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say? - 8/9/2009 6:54:54 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: juliet7bravo

"3 April 1943:

Thanks for info!

BTW, since that was ancorage, do we know anything about actual place (i.e. were the attackers able to hide behind land and then jump and surprise the stationary CA (was it stationary)?

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to juliet7bravo)
Post #: 40
RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say? - 8/9/2009 7:24:23 PM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

The problem with 100' in an aircraft with a 100' wingspan, well, you do the math.  All aircraft drop slightly in a turn (except for VERY high powered , high performance aircraft doing climbing turns).

Actually, unless that plane has an extremely lopsided wingspan, a 90 degree bank would still leave 50 feet to play with at 100 feet altitude. And yes, the plane WILL descend in the initial part of a turn, which is why pilots are trained to raise the nose slightly and add power before intitiating the turn, which somewhat compensates for the dip. Still not the most comfortable manuever even at 200 feet at night...

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 41
RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say? - 8/9/2009 7:50:02 PM   
pad152

Funny, In WITP everyone considered bombing at 100'ft with 4 engine aircraft gamey, now in AE it's historical.

(in reply to Kwik E Mart)
Post #: 42
RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say? - 8/9/2009 8:32:08 PM   
AW1Steve

Not funny at all. In WITP they were wrong. 

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 43
RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say? - 8/9/2009 8:41:13 PM   
Puhis

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

Funny, In WITP everyone considered bombing at 100'ft with 4 engine aircraft gamey, now in AE it's historical.

AE means Allied Edition. Japan don't have 4E bombers.

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 44
RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say? - 8/9/2009 8:59:27 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

AE means Allied Edition. Japan don't have 4E bombers.

Actually , it means Admirals edition. Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't get the latest JFB humor. Japan also doesn't get the A-bomb or the proximity fuse .

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 45
RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say? - 8/9/2009 9:07:20 PM   
juliet7bravo

"If we see ridiculously frequent instances of this sort of thing, I'll become concerned and take action."

Just as in the surface combat routines, PT boats, Zero's, A to A, etc. etc. that people are discussing, this is exactly the correct answer (and is generally what I'm reading from the Devs on issues).  Early days yet, and you SHOULD get occasional outliers...if you don't, and everything proceeded strictly via rote formulas, why bother?  If you get "ridiculously frequent instances" of sorta ahistorical (but not totally impossible) actions/results in the same game, then there's almost undoubtedly a problem.  Or if all the "questionable results" invariably break for the same side...it only sucks if it's YOUR battleship that blows up/sinks at anchor, in its home port.  If it's the OTHER guy's, it's high fives and victory dance time.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 46
RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say? - 8/9/2009 9:15:03 PM   
Mynok

quote:

I remember a few, but most recognized it was historical. What was far more annoying was the vast hordes of 4E bombers the Allies would throw at you.

Skip bombing was a non-issue in Witp simply because the B17's were far more useful in shutting down level 8 Japanese airfields in one strike.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 47
RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say? - 8/9/2009 11:14:29 PM   
Sardaukar

I have not been able to reproduce this.

I set unit with 4 B-17Es as desperate measure, to 100ft Naval Attack. Result: no hits, 3 damaged B-17Es. They were attacking IJN TF unloading in Port Moresby, so very vulnerable TF, despite having CL in it (cannot be sure because of FOW).

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 48
RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say? - 8/9/2009 11:24:12 PM   
Sheytan

And how many people have actually tested this? I did...and guess what? My B17 bombers didnt hit anything at 100 feet strikes, I used the same turn to test this, over and over, against the same target. Hitting a docked ship in a port is another matter. Hitting moving ships at sea? I must not be playing the same game, because once again, not only did I fail to hit anything but the fighter cap shot down a number of the bombers set to attack at 100 feet.

Guess thats whats great about AE huh...stuff can and does happen at times, although it isnt the norm.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 49
RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say? - 8/9/2009 11:30:02 PM   
jjax

I am glad somebody ran tests for this. It does not seem something that is that hard to test for.

I agree though, there were a lot weird happenings that came from WWII, so I guess we should see some of them in AE as well .

--JJAX

(in reply to Sheytan)
Post #: 50
RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say? - 8/10/2009 12:15:36 AM   
Dili

quote:

Skip bombing was invented by using B-17s.

Nopes. Ju-87 Stuka http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/italy_cenni.htm

WITP had always the problem of bomb hit chance being by bomb instead of by plane. It seems the problem remains.

(in reply to jjax)
Post #: 51
RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say? - 8/10/2009 1:44:09 AM   
Mynok

You should be careful about running tests like that. I don't know if they have changed how the random number seeding works, but just reloading a save then running the turn again will likely get you the exact same results because the seed is the same.

I believe the correct way to do tests is to create a scenario, then start it fresh for each test, thus getting you a new seed.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 52
RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say? - 8/10/2009 1:58:22 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

I really don't follow you. Ships can turn much steeper than 4E bomber. It's not my logic, it is a fact.

I assume you mean "tightly"..., the only thing ships do steeply is heel over and sink. And you are ignoring the fact that the aircraft is traveling 10 times faster than the ship. As to rediculous, at least 10 hits by five bombers is possible given the bombload, Try explaining the PH results that have the Japs getting 60 "hits" with the 40 "specially modified" torpedoes they carried?

You should really check the results achieved by Sardaukar and Sheytan when they actually tried to test this result instead of complaining about it.

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 53
RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say? - 8/10/2009 4:06:56 AM   
Mynok

I prepared to be wrong as I don't know if anything has changed in the seeding routine, but if they just loaded the turn, ran it, loaded the turn, ran it, etc, they should get the same results due to having the same seed.

To test you need to create a test scenario, and start it afresh for each round of testing.

Can a coder confirm this or shed light on it?

Post #: 54
RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say? - 8/10/2009 4:28:57 AM   
crsutton

quote:

B17's or B24's droping 500lbs bombs at a 100ft would likly blow themselves up, if the fuses were set correctly.

One would have hoped this was fixed.

Some B17 pilots actually skip bombed ships. Not to common though. And certainly not against well defended ships.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 55
RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say? - 8/10/2009 6:05:18 AM   
sven6345789

just because something happens seldom and is not the normal type of procedure does not mean it isn't possible at all. I see no problem in trying to set your 4 engine bombers to 100 feet. You just have to live with higher Flak and CAP losses. and they probably fly less.

I remember that a general houserule was to not use 4 engine bombers for attacks below 10000 or 15000 feet if set on naval attack. After reading "fire in the sky" by Bergerud, this needs to be thought over. There were several examples in 1943 of B-17 actually going in at 6000 feet or lower, because at 15000 feet you just couldn't hit anything.

The main problem is that we all work with historical hindsight. We know that high level bombing doesn't work in 1941 or later. In 1941, they didn't know that. They had to develop the tactics we know. What we tend to use in 1941 (skip bombing, low level attacks by 4 engine bombers etc.) had irl to be developed during 1941-1943.
Question is, houserules or accept the fact that while the allies can use some tactics early, the japanese can reorganize his production early, making a better job than historically.

i would go for the latter. If it is allowed, you may use it. Just might cost you more.

< Message edited by sven6345789 -- 8/10/2009 6:06:14 AM >

Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.

Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 56
RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say? - 8/10/2009 6:54:55 AM   
Puhis

quote:

quote:

I assume you mean "tightly"..., the only thing ships do steeply is heel over and sink. And you are ignoring the fact that the aircraft is traveling 10 times faster than the ship. As to rediculous, at least 10 hits by five bombers is possible given the bombload, Try explaining the PH results that have the Japs getting 60 "hits" with the 40 "specially modified" torpedoes they carried?

You should really check the results achieved by Sardaukar and Sheytan when they actually tried to test this result instead of complaining about it.

Well, Sardaukar and Sheytan did their tests after I wrote my post, so I really couldn't check them before "complaining"...

I still think that 10 bomb hits is ridiculous. Big bombers flight straight when they try to hit something. If fast moving ship turns tight, bombers will miss. And escorting DDs and CAs would shot them down before they even reach the CV. I don't think those massive bombers can surprise strong surface force, because they have to fly much higher than 100 ft when approaching the TF so that they can even spot the TF.

That is how I see it, but of course I might be totally wrong.

About PH, if japanese really get more hits than they have torpedoes, that is ridiculous too. I haven't tried that yet. And it's not subject of this thread.

< Message edited by Puhis -- 8/10/2009 6:55:34 AM >

Post #: 57
RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say? - 8/10/2009 7:02:01 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

Well, Sardaukar and Sheytan did their tests after I wrote my post, so I really couldn't check them before "complaining"...

What I was actually suggesting was that you might well have run some "tests" yourself before leaping in to "hammer" the designers. Just because a result can happen once in 100 tries does not mean the design is automatically biased and broken. History is repleat with 1 in 100 results..., to be accurate a simulation must also include such possibilities.

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 58
RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say? - 8/10/2009 7:09:23 AM   
Puhis

quote:

What I was actually suggesting was that you might well have run some "tests" yourself before leaping in to "hammer" the designers. Just because a result can happen once in 100 tries does not mean the design is automatically biased and broken. History is repleat with 1 in 100 results..., to be accurate a simulation must also include such possibilities.

I haven't be able to play the game for a four days now... So I just hanging around this forum because of the addiction...

Post #: 59
RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say? - 8/10/2009 7:16:03 AM   
AttuWatcher

quote:

About PH, if japanese really get more hits than they have torpedoes, that is ridiculous too. I haven't tried that yet. And it's not subject of this thread.

They get more hits than they had converted gun shells because of game engine limitations to simulate such things is the explanation I read a week or so ago.

So I think there is a reason behind this other than making up crazy stuff for the hell of it.

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Setting B-17s to 100ft is crazy you say? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI